View Poll Results: What Type Of MOTU Movie Would You Prefer?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Hit Movie That Isn't Very Faithful

21 20.79%
  • A Movie That Bombs But Is Great For Fans And Very Faithful

59 58.42%
  • No Movie At All But The Toyline Continues

13 12.87%
  • I Like Turtles!!!

8 7.92%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Type Of MOTU Movie Would You Prefer?

What Type Of MOTU Movie Would You Prefer?

Since a lot of people are saying that a new Masters Of The Universe movie could either put the final nail in the He-Man coffin or renew the line for generations to come, what type of movie would you prefer in a worst case scenerio?

Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; August 7, 2009 at 12:41pm.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

I'd prefer 1 faithful movie that bombs and puts the nail in the coffin for any sequels. If its a hit but isnt at all faithful to the MOTU line, then what difference does it make if you get 15 sequels? None of them will have anything to to with MOTU apart from the name and you may as well be watching something else.

Randor Grizzlor Lovechild bigassbuzz's Avatar
    feature-length COMPUTER ANIMATION might be the only way to stay faithful (and colorful) without it looking like poo.

More like FINAL FANTASY SPIRITS WITHIN
    than BEOWULF

The writing could keep it dark and edgy, while the computer animated physics will allow for crazy costumes and magical effects.

When this stuff gets applied to real footage, it seems to lack believability.

OR

you could maybe even go the "small soldiers" route and write the actual TOYS into the storyline.

This might enrage the true fans though...
    Thanks Mangs.
    -Buzz out
    www.hyveofvillainy.com - Evil Action Figures

My ORG FEEDBACK is here.

I'm going with faithful here.

You watch the trailer for GI JOE & aside from Snake-Eyes, you wouldn't even know what the movie's based on until it says "GI JOE" at the end.

I don't want a MOTU movie to be unrecognizable.

I ALWAYS hear "They aren't making the movies for the fans, they're making it for all the other people who don't know about the brand to bring them in."
    The fans made the brand popular enough to warrant getting a movie. Make the movie faithful to the source material, give it a good story & you'll get non-fans in to watch it.
    I want my other half.

Co-Creator of the NV
    This is a very good discussion topic. I've actually thought about posting a similar topic a few times.

I'll have to think about it more before answering the question.

I wish there was another option..the somewhat faithful but somethings have changed.. cause I'd be cool with that.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Poll is very bias.

I hold the sword Fisto's Left Hand's Avatar
    I don't understand why the movie can't be faithful and hit.

or why not faithful and not a hit isn't up there as it's the most common outcome in the past. Transfromers was kinda the exception, not the rule.
    Our goal is to make sure all MOTU collectors can get these new figures.
    -What the Fans Want to Know Round 3

Good trades: JohnnyTyler, tattoojunkie74

Quote Originally Posted by Power Sword View Post
    I ALWAYS hear "They aren't making the movies for the fans, they're making it for all the other people who don't know about the brand to bring them in."
    The fans made the brand popular enough to warrant getting a movie. Make the movie faithful to the source material, give it a good story & you'll get non-fans in to watch it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisto's Left Hand View Post

or why not faithful and not a hit isn't up there as it's the most common outcome in the past. Transfromers was kinda the exception, not the rule.
    I agree with you both, and there isn't an option in the poll that represents how I would like to see the new movie handled.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Poll is very bias.
    How is the poll biased? To be honest, I was the eighth person to vote because I couldn't decide myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisto's Left Hand View Post

It said in my initial post, this would be in A WORST CASE SCENERIO. I made sure the first 3 choices wouldn't make anyone 100% happy. Obviously if I made an easy poll, most people are going to choose a hit movie that is very faithful. Considering the toy movies we've received already haven't fallen into this category(MOTU=relatively faithful but it was a low budget bomb; Transformers=definitely not faithful in designs or how seriously it takes it self but an unfortunate hit imho; G.I. Joe=doesn't look or sound very faithful, but I'll have to reserve judgement until I see it), I chose to make the poll based on them.

JOIN THE GROUP...

the poll's options are too biased.

why would the movie bomb if it's faithful to the mythos? the MOTUC line is doing a good enough job of showing just how popular the OLD LOOK MOTU is.

I think if matty released a movie that was NOT like the original cartoon then it WILL bomb.

Look, if matty do it right it would be like how transformers has so many dad's taking their kids. The dad's loved it when THEY were a kid and are sharing it with their own kids. If he-man isn't how the dad remembers then it's not going to be good for the francise - but probably good for the filmation dvd sales...
    Fneh's MOTUC wishlist:
    Spikor, MYP Marzo, Snake Armour He-Man, Stinkor
    Fneh's MOTUC needed list:
    King Grayskull, Beastman, Stratos head

Quote Originally Posted by Fneh View Post
    the poll's options are too biased.

why would the movie bomb if it's faithful to the mythos? the MOTUC line is doing a good enough job of showing just how popular the OLD LOOK MOTU is.

I think if matty released a movie that was NOT like the original cartoon then it WILL bomb.

Look, if matty do it right it would be like how transformers has so many dad's taking their kids. The dad's loved it when THEY were a kid and are sharing it with their own kids. If he-man isn't how the dad remembers then it's not going to be good for the francise - but probably good for the filmation dvd sales...

Again, how is this biased? If anything, your saying it will fail unless it is exactly like the MOTU you grew up with is biased. I guess you haven't seen many comic book movies or Bay's Transformers, because they are often quite successful when they they feature many changes from the original source.

THIS POLL IS BASED ON THE WORST POSSIBLE SCENERIOS THAT COULD HAPPEN!!!

If you want to have a poll that is all rainbow and sunshine where every choice is for a movie that is 100% faithful and a box office record breaker, just click that "New Thread" box and have at it.

JOIN THE GROUP...

I appreciate your effort, but I simply cannot vote in this poll.

I want a "hit" that is "faithful." And I know it is possible. LOTR anyone??
    – No comment.

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neutro View Post
    I appreciate your effort, but I simply cannot vote in this poll.

I want a "hit" that is "faithful." And I know it is possible. LOTR anyone??
    I agree with you. I think the movie would do better if it was more faithful. I don't expect orko to drop eggs on Man-at-Arm's head, but I also don't expect it to be like the 80's movie. We saw how that film didn't work because they changed too much of what made the original show and toy line a hit. (sorry fans of the 80's film)
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

I definately think they can be faithful and still have a hit. If they have well done movie with people who have a passion for the project, they can still be faithful AND do well at the box office.

It seems the winning circle is with me again! I WANT A BOMBER OF A MOVIE...at least I and most of US will LOVE it.
    Positive Transactions-greyskull1, Kero, miasboytoy, MOTU_Maniac, Big Country, Beastmangler, biged98, EwR-Disaster, masterenglish, Radrcks, Son Of Keldor, myers04, tattoojunkie74, He-Cowboy, Judeh Simon, Dr Kain, BrandnChicagoHorde, JonnyTyler, Mern-Ra, wolvie3579, Toygiant, Grayskulls Fakor, Villa-man, Fisto69, Mdoclar, degra, Dawg88, Jii Dee & Many More Orgers...

I voted for an unfaithful hit movie. Why? Well, if that is what it takes to keep MOTU a profitable property for Mattel then so be it. In my reasoning (and I know that I'm in the huge minority here) a hit movie means that Masters of the Universe will continue on, even if it is in a form that is foreign to most of us.

NA was nothing like the original, but there are plenty of diehard NA fans. I passed over it completely, and still have very little interest in it. However, I wouldn't dream of taking it away from the people who love it.

My point here is that even if it is an incarnation that we here largely are not fond of, it could open up a new chapter and inspire the minds of an entirely new generation of fans. Some might even love it so much that it sparks their interest in previous incarnations. This could lead to more interest in the retro lines and canons... who knows?

This is just my opinion and speculation, but I don't think there will ever be a movie that makes all of us happy. I would just love to see the legacy of MOTU continue with future generations in some way, shape or form.
    I'm hoping for a Disco Skeletor for the next subscription exclusive! Fully flocked!

"I don't like to feel good! I like to feel EVIL!"

Worst case scenario? I'll pick faithful bomb over soulless hit. I despise those hits where the source material is raped beyond recognition... Like say, Bayformers. I honestly tried to like Bayformers, but I couldn't... now I'm labeled as one of the mythical gee wunners, that the Bayformers lovers cry about.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    There are a few different ways to look at this.
    First of all, what is "faithful" to one MotU fan is not considered "faithful" by ALL MotU fans.
    That said, I think most of us can agree that Bayformers or G.I. Joe were not as faithful as we would like MotU to be, no?

So then let's consider the pros and cons of an unfaithful hit movie by looking at TF.
    TF as a brand has certainly enjoyed "spillover" into most things TF based at least in small part to the monster success of the movies.

Some may argue that TF has always had product that appeals to collectors, even before the movies.
    And while that's true, I'm not sure there would be as much stuff as there has been.
    Something like TF: Animated I'm sure wouldn't have been as collector-oriented had they not had a little leverage due to movie's success.

Over time though, I don't think it helps the integrity of the brand.
    Even many of those who enjoyed the gimmick of photorealistic transforming cars in the first Bayformers had no problem going off on how awful the sequel was. I doubt a third TF movie will fare as well as the second.

So over time, I think TF will go back to being a draw for kids and collectors alone, with the mainstream looking at it as a geeky toy thing once again.

Problem is, these franchises, though based on toys, have TONS of untapped storytelling potential that could very much appeal to the mainstream in a real, non-gimmicky way.

Hopefully MotU will be a watershed in that regard.
    I certainly hope Candyland won't beat it to the punch.

So the question is, do we want a bad hit MotU movie if that means getting more good collector-oriented toys and collectibles?
    Do we want a bad hit movie if that means getting a cool animated series as a result?

It's kind of a tough call.
    Guess I'm too selfish though.

MOTUC is profitable enough to keep chugging for the foreseeable future, so I'm pretty good on MotU toys.
    So I guess I'd rather have a movie that I enjoy, regardless of what anyone else thinks.
    After all, that's how I approach ANY movie.
    Sure, it's nice and all when I like a movie and so do others, but it's by no means a requirement.

Also, one more note: just because the movie is more "faithful" than Joe or Bayformers, it still doesn't mean it will be good, or that I'll like it.

True that MOTU has various canons to choose from (kinda like Bayformers) But having a "faithful" MOTU is important regardless of the canon chosen for inspiration(Mini comics, Filmation, or MYP). Based on Eternia, Having He-Man and the Heroic warriors battling Skeletor's evil forces would be a start. That the characters actually resemble their toy/comic/toon counterparts is important (No emo space cowboy He-Man nor Trenchcoat wearing pink gangsta Skeletor. I am not saying that they HAVE to be an exact replica of the toys/toon/comics, but that when you look at He-man you cas say: "Look it's He-Man!") The plot should resemble MOTU. The biggest reason behind having the movie being faithful to MOTU is that the film would be respectful of its source material. something that most modern toy/cartoon adaptations seem to be lacking.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

A Hit Movie that is faithful to the canon and that also bring back a toyline in stores. Do I ask too much?
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...

I Like Turtles!!!

And I'm not interested in a movie with real actors.
    I would prefer a 2 Hours cartoon in theater (or not) of high quality

What type of move should MOTU be?

Get the all the old box arts in particular the Greyskull and Battle cat oils.
    Give them to Zach Snyder and tell him to make a movie based on those. That is all.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar
    I'm going with Faithful movie that kicks #$%
    It's all about being polished when it counts!

Heroic Warrior

Appealing to the masses

Most people who grew up in the 80's will ONLY be familiar with the filmation cartoon so the basic concepts like Prince Adam changing into He-man by using the power sword. Also characters like Orko would have to included otherwise it would confuse people so basing a MOTU movie on the mini comics is out of the question.

Also people complain that the Michael Bay's Transformers divert from established canon although Transformers has a large fan base its not big enough to make a film to make the kind of profits it made by making a movie which only appeals to hardcore fans. So any MOTU script has got to be good enough to entice a non hardcore fans and people who have never heard of MOTU.