View Poll Results: What Type Of MOTU Movie Would You Prefer?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Hit Movie That Isn't Very Faithful

21 20.79%
  • A Movie That Bombs But Is Great For Fans And Very Faithful

59 58.42%
  • No Movie At All But The Toyline Continues

13 12.87%
  • I Like Turtles!!!

8 7.92%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Type Of MOTU Movie Would You Prefer?

Im not voting on this either, this poll is suggesting that the motu story would stink any movie script if implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by dwanyewest View Post
    Most people who grew up in the 80's will ONLY be familiar with the filmation cartoon so the basic concepts like Prince Adam changing into He-man by using the power sword. Also characters like Orko would have to included otherwise it would confuse people so basing a MOTU movie on the mini comics is out of the question.
    While it's true that MOST people will associate MOTU with Filmation, taking elements from the mini comics wouldn't hurt. Orko, while I love him he is not exactly MANDATORY... I would love to see Orko on the big screen (seeing as he is one of the three who know the secret.) but if he's not on it it's not like they have ruined my chldhood.(Mr. Bay won that award... TWICE) A movie without Man-at-Arms on the other hand... now them's fighting words.

Also people complain that the Michael Bay's Transformers divert from established canon although Transformers has a large fan base its not big enough to make a film to make the kind of profits it made by making a movie which only appeals to hardcore fans. So any MOTU script has got to be good enough to entice a non hardcore fans and people who have never heard of MOTU.
    The problem with Bayformers (I'll just speak about the first one.) was that the Transformers, as in the guys in the title were taking the back seat on their own movie. We had the Sam Witwicky wants to score with Megan Fox plot. The Josh Duhammel and his wannabe Joes trying to return home. The Blonde and Anthony Anderson uncovering the evil conspiracy plot. After all those plots came the Cybertronians' quest for the cube.
    What little time the Autobots had on screen, they spent almost half of it playing hide and seek at the Witwicky residence.
    I am not saying that G1 was better... (They did some pretty stupid stuff back then.)
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    I got up quickly to answer the phone, and voted for the wrong option.

Ok. So I just voted for the first choice per my current view on a possible new film, explained here in this thread: New MOTU Film—The time is NOW!
    – No comment.

Like this:

Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

I can't vote. Mostly cause there isn't a a selection I would choose. I would like it to have certain elements that I feel that is needed to be in a film version. Certain facts that need to remain true. Adam is He-Man, By the Power of Grayskull, I have the Power! Only 3 share his secret. Everyone is from Eternia. Maybe with exception of Marlena. The story needs to be fantasy with some tech in it. And No! Adam's duel identity is not revealed to anyone just as they die in the end. Be it hero or villain. Oh and there is a Sorceress of Grayskull And she has to have some type of bird element to her. Not having crystals growing from her head. And if an origin is done. Adora must be mentioned or shown in some fashion. The mention of the abduction is a must. Maybe give a reason as to why his parents are a certain way with him. Stuff like that!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

I Like Turtles!!

When I initially voted, I didn't realize it was a worst case scenario situation. So I had to be honest, I don't want to see a hit movie that isn't faithful nor a faithful movie that bombs and I certainly want to see a Masters movie which left the simple fact that I actually do like turtles. Consider the turtle, a reptillian animal in the testudines order, whose bony cartilagenious shell develops from their ribs protecting them much in the same way that many of our thoughts and opinions about the Masters franchise develop from under our ribs, deep in our hearts, ready to protect us from predators like evil producers and notoriously bad Hollywood screenwriting. Okay, maybe that doesn't work out very well, but I don't think anyone wants to believe whole-heartedly that Hollywood is gonna goof this up for the sake of goofing it up. This is apparently a hard movie to make, and with the story retcons happening in the Classics line simultaneously and the fanbase being so very critical of how their beloved franchise will be treated, Hollywood may end up tucking its tail and hiding its head in a shell of "Development Hell" before committing to this movie. I guess it would be better for fans to get a faithful version that they've always wanted, but that's not going to make a studio very happy at all. At least we'd have our movie and we would be done with this whole ordeal. And just out of curiosity, why was their never a turtle-based MOTU character? Or was there? I guess the TMNT's figures were roughly the same size... - Stuart

Worst case scenario I would rather have a faithful less successful movie.

Transformers I love, always love it and it's had so many series and so many incarnations that another version isn't anything new, if anything it's something people look forward. Being faithful isn't a big issue. Transformers is untouchable right now.

GI Joe the movie was simply terrible. The casting (outside of Storm Shadow) was horrid. Channing Tatum is not Duke. That's it. If you blow the main lead (and hire a traffic cop of a director in Stephen Sommers) you get garbage upon garbage.

I've seen what a successful yet crappy movie can do. I don't want that to happen to He-Man. I don't want to seethe anymore about how a beloved show could be so misunderstood by the people in charge. I don't want to argue on every forum I go on on how "THAT GUY IS HE-MAN?! THAT JONAS KID IS ADAM?!" Blah blah you get the point.

Good well crafted films hold up very well and build an audience well after it's run in the theaters has ended (which is like John Carpenter's entire career).

The Downside to the worse case scenario is G.I. Joe.
    The Upside to the worse case scenario is Watchmen.*

*I loved Watchmen. Fantastic film from beginning to end. Faithful but not considered successful in a box office sense.

I like turtles!

Funniest thing I have seen or heard all day. Thank you.

Well, if we are talking 'worst' case scenario, I have to go with option 1.

Why? Because we've already had a 'faithful movie that bombed'. Yeah, though I still loved it.

It would be great if it were a good film and successful like the new Batman movies but this seems to be a rare feet. Most people like to watch empty headed predictable drivel when they go to the cinema (TF:ROTF). I would rather a decent film that is not very well liked than a explosion fest of non sense that everyone loves.

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    As with others, I feel I can't really vote on this - it is suggesting that either it totally change the MOTU mythos and do very well as a result, or stay true to MOTU and totally bomb.
    I think this is a bit silly, and unlikely to fall into either category.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    As with others, I feel I can't really vote on this - it is suggesting that either it totally change the MOTU mythos and do very well as a result, or stay true to MOTU and totally bomb.
    I think this is a bit silly, and unlikely to fall into either category.
    Sure, movies unfaithful to their source material never turn out to be hits(Transformers, Wolverine: Origins) and extremely faithful movies are always succesful(Kick-Ass, Punisher: War Zone, The Rocketeer).
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

faithful to what? faithful to filmation with widgets running around screaming and stuttering. a sharing/caring moral at the end. skeletor dialing up randor and calling him a boob. love it in an 80s toons. don't wanna see it onscreen.

how about faithful to the sci fi-/sword/sorcery mythos, but updated and awesome.

Second option for me is cause I agree with the rest of the fans that picked that option.
    By the Power of Grey Skull!

I voted no movie b/c I really want the MOTUC line to FINISH! Otherwise I'd want a faithful film that bombs.

Heroic Warrior
    "Worst case scenario"...

Successful movie that's not very faithful!

It all depends on definition of "faithful"... No movie adaptation was 100% faithful! Not even new Batman movies, LOTR, etc...

Reasons why I voted this:

- Faithful to what? Filmation? Minicomic? MOTUC? 200X? To me faithful MOTU movie should be set in fantasy/sf setting (Eternia), have familiar characters (no made up for movies, at least no major ones) and follow the somewhat familiar story (a mix of elements from multiple continuities, but adapted for movie and not fan centric or overly "philosophical" to the point of being annoying)... I do not care if they chose "savage" He-Man minicomic story or superhero Adam/He-Man Filmation story or mix of both for the movie, as long as the movie is well written, well acted, entertaining and worth watching 1000+ times!

- Publicity! MOTU is so buried in "fan exclusivity" that it is becoming ridiculous! Do not want to be troll or anything, but, really, it become "fanw*nk" material for hardcore fans only... It’ll become extinct as soon as Mattel cancel MOTUC, because it’s hard to bring in new fans in to the line due to its "exclusivity" which affects entire franchise... The franchise can not sustain itself only on nostalgia and fond memories of the cartoon that ended 20 years ago.... Now, its not the fault of the fans, but of the Mattel.. Though we as the fans have, also, become so narrow-minded that its not normal! Must admit that Hasbro is schooling Mattel in terms of publicity! Transformers and G.I. Joe may not be the most faithful adaptations and not the best movies, but they revitalized interest in their respective franchises..

- The follow up! After the successful movie all doors are open! New cartoon show or shows, new toys (retail, fan exclusive MOTUC, movie figures, maybe continuation of NECA stactions...), video games, sequels, possibility to reboot movies after 10+ years... Possibilities are endless!

Sorry for my English!
    I am more than MAN..., more than LIFE..., I AM A GOD!!! And now.. you.. will.. kneel... KNEEL!!!!

My toy collection

My Deviant Art

Whoever masterminded the plot of the two 'Batman:Arkham' video games roped in influences from everything in Batman's history - comics, cartoons, TV serials form the 1940s to the 1970s, movies, other video games and even toy bios.
    What you got with these Arkham video games was a well balanced overview of Batman and his mythology. There was even a bit of carry over from what the Nolan movies had brought to the table (which some fans have argued are great movies - just not Btaman. Same with Downey Jnr/Guy ricthie's Sherlock Holmes: Great movies just not great Holmes movies.)
    This is how I'd like to see a movie done. There is nothing wrong with the toy designs from the last thirty years. There are great ideas from loads of different locations. I like Grizzlor's bio in the USA mini comics, but when it comes to Snout Spout I love his Uk comics origin story. Evil Lyn's past has been fleshed out in the MOTUC bios really well while those bios have been pretty awful for other characters.
    Mattel and Classic Media should work together and throw their archives open to the new movie writers. The nineties fashion for reimagining gave us great visions of old stories but in too many cases "reimagining" was a euphemism for lazy-or-no-research. See Kevin Smith's anecdote about what Jon Peters had in mind for Superman Reborn in the mid nineties.

A new MOTU movie should be as bold as the Batman Arkham video games. Yes - like it or lump it - there's a croc man in the sewer! Yes - like it or not - Batman is running about with waaayy too big ears on his cowl. Hells yeah!!!
    The new MOTU movie should be YES - Like it or no - that man has a robot elephant head. YES - everyone looks like they're on 'roids. No more shame - time for action!
    "This is a rather shameless promotion"

"Worked on me!"

"Me too!"

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    If only someone could just put storyboards up here, that answer all questions.
    If only there was someone ready to direct a perfect storytelling movie, (with big money men looking to back a big idea.).

..oh, if only there was someone.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by BlastAttak View Post
    "Worst case scenario"...

Successful movie that's not very faithful!

It all depends on definition of "faithful"... No movie adaptation was 100% faithful! Not even new Batman movies, LOTR, etc...
    I would say a 'Faithful' movie is something that sticks to the classic visuals. Something that you can turn on, and immediately KNOW that it's He-man. That was really what my BIGGEST issue with the original movie was. All the new costumes, the new designs... people you didn't recognize until someone actually introduced them.... Then they cut out Adam, battle cat, trap jaw, triklops... merman... etc...

Seriously... of the original 12 back cards, only FOUR of these MAIN characters actually showed up...

It would have been VERY easy for anyone to change a few names in the movie and it wouldn't even BE a he-man movie... Which rumor has it, they did for the proposed He-man 2 sequel...

Whereas, at least in Spiderman, batman, or Green Lantern... Regardless of the 'base appeal' to the show... it is DISTINCTLY belonging to THAT property.

If they want to put out a movie that bombs because it has over steroided guys in flashy orange armor and blue and green spandex... I'm ALL FOR IT!!! I would rather have a movie designed to appeal to ME as a life-long fan... than my sister, who doesn't know anyone on the screen. If they can please us both... BONUS! If not... go with the fans!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I would say a 'Faithful' movie is something that sticks to the classic visuals. Something that you can turn on, and immediately KNOW that it's He-man.

Whereas, at least in Spiderman, batman, or Green Lantern... Regardless of the 'base appeal' to the show... it is DISTINCTLY belonging to THAT property.
    I agree with that it should be "visually faithful", although it is also relative category...

Yes, Spider-Man, Batman, Green Lantern, etc. movies were "visually faithful" but they did change a lot of "classic visuals".... Spider-Man's raised webbing and pattern on the costume, Green Lantern's "energy muscle" costume, OMG teh Batman's costumes .... I chose costumes as the examples because they are the most important visual que. I do not consider these kind of changes as unfaithful, though, but a lot of hardcore fans do...

- Did the fact that movie X-Men wore all black leather costumes (with hints of their comic book costumes) made me dislike X-Men movie? No, it did not! I was still able to recognize any and all characters I knew from comics before their names were spoken in the film since all of them had their iconic traits!
    - Would the faithful movie X-Men costumes have made the movie better? Maybe, maybe not... Then again adapting "faithful" Wolverine's mask would be impossible task and it wouldn't serve any purpose in the film except to please the fans!
    - What about MOTU? Take iconic points of the costumes and tweak them to fit the overall visuals of the film (which old movie costumes did). It is not necessary that all characters must have same furry loin cloths and "recycle" belts, boots and bracelets.... It is not necessary that all characters need to be "steroid freaks"...

Story wise, neither of those mentioned movies didn't stick to the comic book stories, but adapted elements from different CB stories, merged some stories and even characters, added something new, so, their "faithfulness" to the source material is, again, questionable...

- Did the totally unfaithful X-Men roster and totally made up story made me dislike X-Men movie? No, they did not!
    - Would more faithful stories have made X-Men movie better? Maybe, but again, absolutely faithful adaptation of most of stories is impossible for the movie! They would have to bog down the story and introduce a ton of pointless things to justify and explain every character (think how bogged down would absolutely faithful adaptation of Phoenix saga would be)....
    - What about MOTU: A mix of elements from different canons in one single main story, no matter how "unfaithful" it is to particular canon... Not every character needs an explanation (Beast Man can be just extremely loyal henchman of Skeletor, a la Sabretooth from first X-Men movie, without any further explanation. It'll make him more awesome than some story about how those two met and blah, blah...)..

Now, speaking of negative things, what I did not enjoy some of those superhero franchises I mentioned are: 2D characters (X-Men 3), shoving too much into single script that it made it a mess (Spider-Man 3, X-Men 3), bland visuals (Nolan's Batman), stupid, "try to sound smart and important", annoying dialog (Nolan's Batman), shoving stuff just to please the fans (Spider-man 3), stupid acting (all of those movies had some amount of that), playing safe/formulaic movie (Green Lantern)....
    But neither of those made me to completely loose interest in the franchise (yes I do prefer Burton's Batman than Nolan's, but it has nothing to do with faithfulness of those respective franchises, since none of them is too much faithful to the "source material")...

I don't know, but to me, movies are "alternative universe" and I do not tend to compare them too much to source material as long as they have enough to make me like them as an adaptation of that source material... And the unfaithfulness of the movies does not make me dislike source material...

Sorry for the long post..
    Last edited by BlastAttak; January 27, 2012 at 08:16am.
    I am more than MAN..., more than LIFE..., I AM A GOD!!! And now.. you.. will.. kneel... KNEEL!!!!

My toy collection

My Deviant Art

Quote Originally Posted by BlastAttak View Post
    - Would the faithful movie X-Men costumes have made the movie better? Maybe, maybe not... Then again adapting "faithful" Wolverine's mask would be impossible task and it wouldn't serve any purpose in the film except to please the fans!
    Sorry to pick on this one line, because that was a great post overall, but I think this one sentence is incredibly insightful in a concise matter. I personally found X-men to be very faithful given the 'bringing into the real world' circumstances. And even though they wore more uniform costumes, the characters were still instantly recognisable and didn't look ridiculous as a result.

True, I think they could have got away with a lot more (when you're actually portraying someone playing dress up rather than Masters characters who aren't in a costume, you can be a bit more out there), but in this case, they were supposed to be a team, so having more of a uniform appearance enhanced rather than detracted. After all, they didn't do it for the bad guys.

But "Faithful" is an incredibly ambiguous term.

Even the '87 movie was incredibly faithful. It stuck to the core elements that make Masters what it is, and not just made the costumes believable on real people (which must have been a serious task!), but keeping the core design points that made the majority of the characters, again, instantly recognisable.

Outside the usual (storyline, acting, yada yada) that to me is what will make a good film.

That's why the poll was a bit tricky for me. "Unfaithful" would need to be defined more clearly and have some definite lines drawn somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    What type of move should MOTU be?

Get the all the old box arts in particular the Greyskull and Battle cat oils.
    Give them to Zach Snyder and tell him to make a movie based on those. That is all.
    Great idea for conventional box-office fantasy that would make money. That could have been another option in the poll - faithful hit.

There is another option.

The new 'the Muppets' film has shown how a fan of a property can comment on a cult set of characters and a universe and still have them play a major part in it. It showed how these silly-looking felt puppets have given so much love and guidance to their fans over the years. If done reallly well - and I mean really well - I think a good writer - maybe a standup comic could produce a loving and funny film that dealt with MOTU as an entity people are fans of while still showcasing some of the action. I'm thinking a blend of 'The Princess Bride', 'The Muppets 2011' and 'Gentlemen Broncos'. You could therefore have your cake and eat it and I think it would be a good start to a new franchise.
    I love MOTU with all my heart - but you can't get away from the fact that:

(a) This is a muscular toyline with humans and monsters in furry underpants and weird names.

(b) I'd hate a film that was embarrassed about or shied away from MOTU's classic look, names, furry underpants.

I think it is a way into MOTU on film that might never have crossed our minds before, would be a very good way to handle all the strands of the characters and canon from about four different sources (MiniComics, Filmation, MYP/MVP, MOTUC-bios) and would interest non-fans or people who initially scoffed at the idea.
    A Fan character - like Jason Segel's in 'The Muppets' - could be the window into these versions - just as 'Gentlemen Broncos' filmed the imagined sci-fi novel of the teen lead (the saga of the Yeast Lords) and then the vision of the scifi author who stole his idea. Two versions of canon of the one entity.

I beg any MOTU fan who hasn't seen 'Gentlemen Broncos' to go rent, buy or borrow it now.
    "This is a rather shameless promotion"

"Worked on me!"

"Me too!"

It would be awesome if someone who loved MOTU the way Jason Segel loves the Muppets did the movie.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Priest to Divine Teela'na Necrono's Avatar
    As much as I like MOTU, it already has so many conflicting canons that another won't hurt. Really, in the history of stories, MOTU has very few original additions. If the writers can take the gist and characters, and create a movie with a plot (OMG! NO WAY!! A PLOT!?) I'll go. If the graphics don't distract from the story, I'll promote the film. If the plot keeps canon the back story to Marlena and Teela/Sorceress, then I will probably buy every subsequent action figure and game for myself and every 7 year old I know.

-Necrono

I'd prefer no movie at all rather than the first two options. But i do like Turtles...

One that bombs means no sequels and for MotU, i imagine a LOTR type of 'grand' trilogy so to speak with the vast characters. I'm gutted there wasn't a third MYP season so not having film sequels would be the same to me.

One that's a hit but doesn't resonate with 'true' fans is kinda like the old T.V. shows that have been or are being dug up and turned into movies these days. A lot of those only have the title and character(s) in common. Nothing else. And i'd hate to see that happen here...
    Most Wanted MOTU Classics:

*MotU ~ Multi-Bot/Tung Lashor *PoP ~ Angella/Mermista *200X ~ Roboto/Calix *Filmation ~ Teela Na/Lord Masque
    *Play-Sets ~ Snake Mountain/Fright Zone *Vehicles ~ Roton/Land Shark *Beasts ~ Night Stalker/Stridor