Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Teela's Staff of Ka

Priest to Divine Teela'na Necrono's Avatar

Teela's Staff of Ka

I LOVE IT!! They have officially tied Teela's snake theme in with the snake men, and they acknowledge its magical powers!!! Whoo hoo! What sort of powers do you think the Staff of Ka has? Granted, it tracks one's foes... but how?

I always imagined it as loaning a sense of omniscience... it might hypnotise the wielder, provided they can access its powers (which Teela cannot), and in their trance they get some sense of what their enemy is doing.

By and by, who is Ka? If anybody remembers from the old Ladybird Book series, the staff was formerly known as "kobra". Is Ka King Hiss's father? A priest of Serpos?

-Necrono

I just hope it's not split in half, like the sword of power.

That would mean, with 2 of them, that when both halves were joined, it would be the staff of ka-ka..

(really sorry about that ....)

I would have hoped they'd called the Staff Kobra, like in the Ladybird books, but it's cool it's got a name and purpose
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

I bet the staff was made from a phoenix feather, and the 2nd feather was used to make Skeletor's staff or something...

Quote Originally Posted by Beastmaster View Post
    I bet the staff was made from a phoenix feather, and the 2nd feather was used to make Skeletor's staff or something...

and the staffs "know" each other.....nice HP reference

Mattel has a trademark filed for KARAK NUL (one of the more recent ones), so perhaps that ties into the staff's name in some way. Could be a real name for King Hiss or an entirely new character.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Impin' Ain't Easy! DreamTripper's Avatar
    For those who don't know, or don't remember, Ka was the name me the snake from The Jungle Book. So even that's not original.

Support Bili the Droid
    It's GrAyskull. It's posted all over the packaging and this site.
    CANON-the body of rules, principles, or standards accepted as axiomatic and universally binding in a field of study or art, such as a storyline
    CANNON-a mounted gun for firing heavy projectiles; a gun, howitzer, or mortar.

Imp is here!
    I will change my avatar as soon as Songster is made in MOTUC

Heroic Warrior
    Wasn't Ka the snake in the Jungle Book?

Also don't really like Teela having super magic tracking abities... Maybe if she KNEW about the sorcerous connection or showed magic abilities of her own...

For the adoptied daughter of Man-at Arms, and the captain of the guard... This just seems kind of forced.

Ka is also the ancient Egyptian equivalent of a soul.

For me it's simply based on the Egyptian Mythology. I just done some research about Ka and there's the meaning.

Hope it helps.

"Ka
    (ka)

Appearance: In art the ka was portrayed in several ways: a person identical to the person whom it was associated with, as a shadowy figure, as a person with two upraised arms on his head. The hieroglyph for the ka was the shoulders and arms with the arms bent upwards at the elbow, similar to the "touchdown" gesture in American football.

Meaning: The "ka" is a very complex part of the symbolism in ancient Egyptian mythology and represents several things: the ka is a symbol of the reception of the life powers from each man from the gods, it is the source of these powers, and it is the spiritual double that resides with every man.

The ka as a spiritual double was born with every man and lived on after he died as long as it had a place to live. The ka lived within the body of the individual and therefore needed that body after death. This is why the Egyptians mummified their dead. If the body decomposed, their spiritual double would die and the deceased would lose their chance for eternal life. An Egyptian euphemism for death was "going to one's ka". After death the ka became supreme. Kings thus claimed to have multiple kas. Rameses II announced that he had over 20.

The ka was more than that though. When the ka acted, all was well, both spiritually and materially. Sin was called "an abomination of the ka". The ka could also be seen as the conscience or guide of each individual, urging kindness, quietude, honor and compassion. In images and statues of the ka, they are depicted as their owner in an idealized state of youth, vigor and beauty. The ka is the origin and giver of all the Egyptians saw as desirable, especially eternal life.

Kas resided in the gods as well. Egyptians often placated the kas of the deities in order to receive favors. The divine kas also served as guardians. Osiris was often called the ka of the pyramids.

The god Khnemu who was said to create each man out of clay on his potter's wheel also molded the ka at the same time."

Source: http://www.egyptianmyths.net/ka.htm

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Wasn't Ka the snake in the Jungle Book?

Also don't really like Teela having super magic tracking abities... Maybe if she KNEW about the sorcerous connection or showed magic abilities of her own...

For the adoptied daughter of Man-at Arms, and the captain of the guard... This just seems kind of forced.
    Teela was shown to be tracking on the back of her cardback so it's not forced.
    Visit me and be my friend...I like friends...LOL

http://www.facebook.com/MisterDeeJay2KX

Nice research, Moonchild!

I like that the staff has a name and connection to the SnakeMen. Perhaps we'll see a Snake Teela bonus figure down the road...?

I am very curious as to whether Teela is a clone of the Filmation-style Sorceress or of The (green) Goddess. (Or, are they the same person?) What will the realationship between the two/three of them be?
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    I know Mattel's bio has Teela's staff being an artifact of the Snakemen, but I think it makes more sense for the staff to have belonged to someone who once fought the Snakemen. Surely, the Snakemen would find an opponent who could unerringly track them to be a major thorn in their sides.

Plus this would give Mattel an opening to introduce a new "ancient Eternia" character to battle alongside King Grayskull and He-Ro.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Oceanwalker View Post
    Teela was shown to be tracking on the back of her cardback so it's not forced.
    Touche'

I guess I just like the Captain of the Royal guard and the daughter of Man-at-Arms to get by on Martial skill that he taught her.

Not random magical gimmicks, or secret powers from her absent mother. He trained her, she should be doing things the human way.

This is one of the things that I hate about the card backs. they throw out little questions, but don't give enough info. What is the staff of Ka, How did she get it? Did the sorceress give it to her, or was it just a coincidence?

I also liked the Snakemen in the ancient world. I liked them LEGEND. Now it seems like everyone on eternia is immortal. Zodac, Zodak, Hordak, All the snake men, Faceless one, Evil lyn, Keldor, all had dealings when the snakemen ruled....

Now Teela is using their artifacts.

Pizza flows through me HordeFan's Avatar
    I think it's a great way to tie everything together! Well, I don't know about Evil Lyn being immortal and I don't know about the Faceless One (except he's Lyn's father) but it's good. I love the back stories (bios) and hope, through further character releases, we'll get the bigger picture.

I hope Teela's staff has a connection to another ancient warrior. I LOVE the "Pre-ternia" stuff. RE-RELEASE GRAYSKULL!

Evil Lyn was born in the past and taken to the present by a time-traveller... at least that was the story in MVC's comic to go along with the MYP cartoon...

that may completely change... the Faceless One may have a completely new identity (but still be her dad)
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

I could imagine that Karak Nul was the real name of The Goddess, and the staff originally belonged to her. That would also explain why her staff is packed with Teela, and Teela's lance is packed with the Goddess.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Mattel has a trademark filed for KARAK NUL (one of the more recent ones), so perhaps that ties into the staff's name in some way. Could be a real name for King Hiss or an entirely new character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    I could imagine that Karak Nul was the real name of The Goddess, and the staff originally belonged to her. That would also explain why her staff is packed with Teela, and Teela's lance is packed with the Goddess.
    This was my first thought after reading Tallstar's post; If I was placing a bet, it would be that Karak Nul is The (Green) Goddess' real name.

^ That sounds like a pretty good theory. I'll be curious to see how The Goddess is connected to The Snake Men for them to have used the staff in battle.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Karak Nul sounds realy good, whoever it is. I think it's the first bio name(if it is) that I actually like. :tbgriin:

Well here in India, a male snake is often called Ka by the rurals. Not sure if it has any reference to that but just thought I'd mention. It leaves a very interesting question of who that staff must have belonged to. I prefer the name over Kobra since we already have Kobra Khan. for all you know it could be some jungle Book reference.
    Last edited by 2-bad; August 7, 2009 at 08:11am.
    My DA Page

www.TheBeastLegion.com is officially online. You can read the Manga in it's entirity there! Hope you give it a try enjoy it.

Beast Legion FaceBook Page ...Join me & help spread the word!!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
    I know Mattel's bio has Teela's staff being an artifact of the Snakemen, but I think it makes more sense for the staff to have belonged to someone who once fought the Snakemen. Surely, the Snakemen would find an opponent who could unerringly track them to be a major thorn in their sides.

Plus this would give Mattel an opening to introduce a new "ancient Eternia" character to battle alongside King Grayskull and He-Ro.
    Quote Originally Posted by HordeFan View Post
    I think it's a great way to tie everything together! Well, I don't know about Evil Lyn being immortal and I don't know about the Faceless One (except he's Lyn's father) but it's good. I love the back stories (bios) and hope, through further character releases, we'll get the bigger picture.

I hope Teela's staff has a connection to another ancient warrior. I LOVE the "Pre-ternia" stuff. RE-RELEASE GRAYSKULL!

I love the premise of Preternia. It is totally untapped.

So far we have He-Ro, King Grayskull, Hordak (with the Horde) and King Hsss (with the Snakemen) so I am hoping the Staff of Ka does tie in more with Preternia

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post

I also liked the Snakemen in the ancient world. I liked them LEGEND. Now it seems like everyone on eternia is immortal. Zodac, Zodak, Hordak, All the snake men, Faceless one, Evil lyn, Keldor, all had dealings when the snakemen ruled....

Now Teela is using their artifacts.
    they are not all immortal. the snake men were banished to a timeless void. Hordak could possibly be as well. we don't know if either Zodac(k) are even alive in the present.

i personally LOVE all the connection to the past and the fact that they would use ancient artifacts of power that can't be recreated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j-bird View Post
    This was my first thought after reading Tallstar's post; If I was placing a bet, it would be that Karak Nul is The (Green) Goddess' real name.
    yup i instantly thought of the goddess when i read this name as well. i'd also bet it is her real name. not a bad one at that either.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Teela's Staff of Ka

I was reading the bio for Teela on Matty - I guess I wasn't paying attention when Matty released it. I like the explanation of why Teela has snake armor and staff (actually used to pretend something similar when I was little).

I was just wondering if there's any more info on the Staff of Ka? Have there been any other references to it that I've missed?

I am pretty sure it was only referred to as the Staff of Ka in the Ladybird books, which were released overseas, although the card back of the original figure hints at its magical powers.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptofGuard26 View Post
    the card back of the original figure hints at its magical powers
    Yeah, I thought I remember that. I haven't been able to track down a picture/scan of the 80's Teela card back. There are no pics of her packaging uploaded to the Org. Thedarkmask has a ton of card backs, but not Teela's. Grayskull Museum has pics of a bunch of MOC Teela's from around the world, but no pics of the backs of the card. I did a quick GIS and didn't come up with anything except pics of Teela's 200x card back...

Good to know that it popped up in the Ladybird books. Unfortunately, I don't have any of them. I see the Org has scans of their covers - hopefully someone will upload scans of the different pages at some point.

I really wish Mattel had a medium to tell the story of how these characters and their different weapons/artifacts all relate. A single paragraph every month or so just isn't enough to tell a story...