Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tour of Etheria #1: Brightmoon

Tour of Etheria #1: Brightmoon

Okay, I'm finally going to start a Tour of Etheria since it's been so long since I said I would. I'll be returning to Eternia next, but this is just the first tour of many on the Horde conquered Etheria, and I had to start with BRIGHTMOON because, well, it's the first kingdom of Etheria for me. This is my take on the characters of course, so I know my choices won't be to everyone's liking.

I've said it many times that I wanted Angella to be very distinct visually from the Sorceress. I went further than just the design and changed her ethnicity. Also I kept thinking of Angella Bassett when I thought of Angella. This Angella hails from the mountaintop Kingdom of Mizar, as seen in the mini comic "Journey to Mizar." She married King Miccah of Brightmoon and ruled in his absence after the Horde seized him and took him to Horde World. Because her people have magical abilities, she can harness the magic of Brightmoon Castle better than anyone in Miccah's own family, making his union to Angella that much more meaningful. The armor for this design comes from Baena's more faithful update of the original toy. I added the septre myself.

I tried to use the same colors that we saw Miccah wear in his Filmation series episode, so that's why he's in pink. I borrowed some design elements of MYP's Battle Armor for Randor because I liked them and thought it would help him feel of the same universe. I doubt Randor would be caught dead in these colors though. I used the same sword for Miccah that I had given Angella in a drawing long ago.

So Brightmoon has to have guards. There were two designs that I remember seeing in the old show. One was blue.

And the other was red.
    Last edited by gbagok; February 16, 2010 at 09:15pm.

I wanted Glimmer to have a mixed heritage, so she is wingless like her father but shares her mother's complexion. She is the hope of Brightmoon as she would be the first natural born member of the royal family that, like her mother, control the magic of Brightmoon.

I thought about placing the Red Knight in a tour of Blackmoor, the kingdom in which he appeared in his Filmation episode--but then I wondered who would care about a tour of Blackmoor? No one else of note appeared to be from there! Since we never learned his identity, I kind of went with the idea that the Red Knight was some how a mystical projection of Miccah. Possibly the Cosmic Enforcers or someone steps in to allow Miccah to help his people through TRK, or possibly Miccah himself has some latent magical abilities that he cannot fully tap into. Since I'm bringing back Angella's ties to Mizar, where her people are winged, I didn't think TRK could be her father (as some fans suggested) since he has no wings.

Amazing! I seriously like King Miach's design. I would love to see Glimmer with straight hair. All great designs here Gbagok.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Beautiful work as always! I cannot wait to see who is next. Makes me wish I had a few POP characters floating around. Heh. Maybe they would have been lucky enough to be included in a tour.

These are great , Angella Bassett is a great influence to draw Angella from. She is very dignifed, warm, & beautiful. I could see her as The Queen of Brightmoon! Glimmer is pretty to I like her armor. Are you going to surprise us with more of your original characters? I sure hope so.
    Teela the Warrior Goddess is my homegirl.

Movie mayhem!
    very very cool!!!

Another smashing tour, Eric. All of them look Amazing & I'm so glad you included Red Knight in it as well. It's probably one of my favourite episodes from POP.
    My DA Page

www.TheBeastLegion.com is officially online. You can read the Manga in it's entirity there! Hope you give it a try enjoy it.

Beast Legion FaceBook Page ...Join me & help spread the word!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2-bad View Post
    Another smashing tour, Eric. All of them look Amazing & I'm so glad you included Red Knight in it as well. It's probably one of my favourite episodes from POP.
    same here!

Fantastic artwork. The two guards are excellent, but my favourite is the Red Knight! so much that I'am thinking a custom figure of him!

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Pretty cool stuff as always, gBagok.

I'm among the fans that are a bit resistant to the change of ethnicity, but I'm totally digging Glimmers curly hair. ^^

Interesting enough, she looks a bit p-ed off actually... Is she a bit of an impatient soul? What would you envision her relationship to upstart ex-Horde Captain Adora to be, btw?

Within the Rebellion hierarchy, I mean.

Oh, what do I see...
    Alles Orko oder was? - ...'cause Trollans are the best! - She-Raver by conviction...

Fantastic artwork, Amazing as always! I cannot wait to see who is next.

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    moar! moar!!
    My MOTUC top 10 wants (POST NYTF 2014):

Queen Angella - Hunga the Harpy - Peekablue -Mermista - Veena - Red Knight - Vultak - Dylamug - Sibyline - Kex Queen

Small creatures that need to happen: Imp - 3 main twiggets

These are just... guh.. there are no words other than perfection.

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar
    I'm a fan of the change in ethnicity. It works for me. I like change

The original Angella design always came cross a little dim to me, actually Glimmer did too.The design of these feel like stronger women, regardless of their colour to be honest.
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

Thanks, everyone! I'm glad some people like the choice of ethnicity, though again I can understanding wanting a more faithful take on them. Probably some day I will go for a Classics gallery that would at least follow MOTUC's approach (which I think will be more faithful to their original looks). I stand by Glimmer's curly hair--curls rule!

Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    Interesting enough, [Glimmer] looks a bit p-ed off actually... Is she a bit of an impatient soul? What would you envision her relationship to upstart ex-Horde Captain Adora to be, btw?

Within the Rebellion hierarchy, I mean.
    I think she came off harsher than I want really in this drawing, but I see her as someone whose optimism is mostly inspired by the difference She-Ra makes to the Rebels--and persists even when Adora/She-Ra maybe has doubts. I felt like Filmation's Glimmer seemed almost naive. When we meet her, she is only a teenager, the only free member of her family, a fugitive, and trying to lead untrained peasants and forest creatures in a small rebellion against an overwhelming oppressive regime. That she doesn't just run for her life is optimistic enough for me without a the "gee gosh" vibe I got from her in the old cartoon. I think she should start off understandably concerned about Adora, but ultimately becomes her closest friend and ally and the main person who advocates for Adora to lead the Rebels' cause (other than her mother at least).

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Thanks, everyone! I'm glad some people like the choice of ethnicity, though again I can understanding wanting a more faithful take on them. Probably some day I will go for a Classics gallery that would at least follow MOTUC's approach (which I think will be more faithful to their original looks). I stand by Glimmer's curly hair--curls rule!

I think she came off harsher than I want really in this drawing, but I see her as someone whose optimism is mostly inspired by the difference She-Ra makes to the Rebels--and persists even when Adora/She-Ra maybe has doubts. I felt like Filmation's Glimmer seemed almost naive. When we meet her, she is only a teenager, the only free member of her family, a fugitive, and trying to lead untrained peasants and forest creatures in a small rebellion against an overwhelming oppressive regime. That she doesn't just run for her life is optimistic enough for me without a the "gee gosh" vibe I got from her in the old cartoon. I think she should start off understandably concerned about Adora, but ultimately becomes her closest friend and ally and the main person who advocates for Adora to lead the Rebels' cause (other than her mother at least).
    Good to see that the good old gbagok come back better than ever. I like all those brilliant designs you did so far, hope to see some more.
    http://galvatronartstuff.blogspot.com/

Check My Fan Characters
    -------------------------------------------
    Press here to see Houndor
    Press here to see Aetheron

Asp'r the Contrarian SnakeMenPriest's Avatar
    Is that your own symbol for Brightmoon?

--Asp'r
    In Kansas, it is a crime to eat rattlesnake meat in public.
    You are upsetting the blessing of the Snake God. ALL HAIL RATTLOR!!

Check out 2-bad's Original epic: Origins of The SnakeMen!

Beautiful work! I love your ideas. It is always amazing when people translate MOTU into their own little worlds.
    Windblown Advocate since 200x

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeMenPriest View Post
    Is that your own symbol for Brightmoon?
    Nah, it comes from the carpet over which Angella and the others formed a ring to fight off Shadow Weaver's attack in the Crystal Castle. I thought it had good logo qualities.

Simply beautiful. As others have said, it's just perfection.

If anyone truly deserved their own animated series, it's you!
    Last edited by Torvik; August 10, 2009 at 09:42pm.

Princess of the 80's Princess_Adora's Avatar
    Yay I'm so exicted that you are moving onto the world of POP can't wait to see more!
    "My whole life has changed because of this sword!" ~Adora

Recently moved to GA! Help! I need to know new people!
    Tour of Salineas next please! Pretty PLEASE!!!
    By the Power... and For the Honor of GRAYSKULL!!!
    HE-MAN and SHE-RA Rules!!!

"Frustration is only felt when one realizes there is an option!"
    - Ancient One (BeastMaster: The Series; Fifth Element)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from MAGIC!
    - Clarke's Third Law

I totally like how the costumes can be so different and in the same time stay true to the characters.
    So great !

Quote Originally Posted by Torvik View Post
    If anyone truly deserved their own animated series, it's you!
    I just totally agree. And not only animation art but also character description.