Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: BRAVESTARR in the MOTUC?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    Bravestar is not masters of the universe or related to it so I cant see why it would be in the MOTUC?

110% agreed!
    My for sale items:200X moc figures Roboto,Kobra Khan,Syklone,PrinceAdam,Whiplash,Beastman,Rattlor, Man at Arms,Orko,Trapjaw,Two Bad, Buzz Off,etc.Gi Joe 25th anniv moc figures for sale, vehicles, multi-packs, Neca staction figures series 1-6 moc. Castlevania 20th anniversarty Artbook pack $35, Living Dead Dolls, 3' Frankenstein.[/COLOR

If they did Blackstar as a 1-off with his own packaging that could work.
    Use the MOTUC he-man buck, same size packaging, so that it was virtually a part of the line, but not directly and not by branding.
    That way anyone who wanted could purchase him, but it wouldn't actually be part of the line, no problems with angry completionists.
    Also it could sell right alongside MOTUC on Mattycollector.
    If he did well they could do more - maybe 1 per quarter. (klone, etc.)

But, as others have pointed out Mattel doesn't have the rights and probably doesn't want them.

Quote Originally Posted by Croaker View Post
    If they did Blackstar as a 1-off with his own packaging that could work.
    Blackstar is a different beast from Bravestarr, his design actually resembles MOTUC's buck enough that he could be made without changing him. Bravestarr though wasn't made to be a shirtless muscular barbarian in a loin cloth. I dare say it would make more sense to move Rio Blast into a Bravestarr line than Bravestarr into a MOTU line.

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Blackstar is a different beast from Bravestarr, his design actually resembles MOTUC's buck enough that he could be made without changing him. Bravestarr though wasn't made to be a shirtless muscular barbarian in a loin cloth. I dare say it would make more sense to move Rio Blast into a Bravestarr line than Bravestarr into a MOTU line.
    I would have to agree. Blackstar "might" fit in to the MOTU line due to the fact that it is part of the sword and scorcery genre. It was also a competing (and in a way) complimentary toy line to MOTU in the 80's.

Bravestarr would be welcome as its own vintage toy line from Mattel. They should make the new figures design look similar to the originals if not the same exact molds.

I would've been happy if the original MOTU line was re-released much like the commemorative line though. I enjoy the vintage designed more than the MOTUC series, but would like them both.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Exactly. Blackstar fits right in:

Man, I should really commission someone to make me an MOTUC Bravestar. That would be awesome.

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Exactly. Blackstar fits right in:

http://www.toyarchive.com/STAForSale...tarSPARK2a.jpg

Man, I should really commission someone to make me an MOTUC Bravestar. That would be awesome.
    You had to post the figure that sparks to get me all excited at work?
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

We need to see this figure realized.

"My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

That was the first one that popped up in Google. I'd rather have non-sparking (and no cape - John Blackstar doesn't wear a cape):

Heroic Warrior
    Hasbro did something similar by making a Matt Tracker figure from MASK into a GI Joe character this past year as just a nod to another great 80's toy line. I could see Bravestar happening as a possible (but not probable) bonus figure. Blackstar on the other hand was not even made by Mattel so that one would be a lot tougher.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    A ninja hater, huh? Et tu, Wolfchild? Well, I can't say you're wrong (even though you are) about your irrational dislike of Ninjor but I can correct you on Snake Eyes. You just stepped into my world now! Deep breath...Snake Eyes was never meant to be a ninja. Larry Hama created Snake Eyes to be a commando proficient in 12 unarmed fighting systems plus demolition, mountaineering and jungle, arctic and desert survival plus holistic medicine. It's only after the comic and cartoon came out that they started fleshing him out and the whole ninja thing came about. Besides, the only good ninja is an evil one. They are, after all, espionage and assassination experts. That's what they do.
    I'm not a ninja hater LOL. I just don't like Ninjor and his place in MotU. I see MotU as sci-fi meets swords and sorcery, so I'm fine with barbarians with laser riffles, cyborg animal humanoids, and the like. But cowboys and Ninjas seem out of place for me, that's it.

I know Snake-Eyes wasn't always a ninja (even though I'm no Joe expert), but he was always a martial art expert. When he was introduced as a ninja that trained with Storm Shadow, in the Marvel comics I believe, that became the official cannon. So, to me, he is a "good" ninja. I may agree that the ninjas, being yes, spys and assassins, are by nature not prone to be heroes. Anti-heroes perhaps . But man, those were the eighties, ninjas were cool so ninja heroes had to show up. And I forgot, there were also the Ninja Turtles!

Quote Originally Posted by Battle_Brak View Post
    Well the reason I brought up them up is because they are such weird, "out there" characters. First everyone is saying a cowboy is too out of place in MOTU, then the Ninjor thing comes up. I mean compared to a guy with a mechanical elephant head, a big cyborg mosquito, a guy with snakes coming out of his eyes, and a robotic suicide bomber... cowboys and ninjas seem kind of tame and inoffensive. They may not be the most interesting characters. I'm not really contesting that. I just don't see how they are too bizarre for MOTU.

Snake Face isn't such a bad concept, but the original toy looked like a blow up doll (well the ugliest one ever made anyway). Mosquitor seems to me like they thought up a cool gimmick but had no one with any sense of design to create the actual toy. Anyway I do like both of those characters thanks to the 200X redesigns. Scare Glow just never appealed to me. We already have Skeletor, another skeleton guy feels really redundant. The painted on skeleton seems kind of cheap even in the vintage line, and I've personally always found glow-in-the-dark stuff sort of lame.
    All those characters fit well inside the Sci-Fi meets Swords and Sorcery concept. Some may find them lame (I agree that the original design for Snake Face wasn't very happy, but the Medusa based concept is cool). Snout Spout I'm just ... bah... I mean, nothing on humanoid robotic elephants, he just seems like to "merry" or "innocent" looking to me. Blast Attak is not a favorite, and yes, he was all action feature and no concept, but still fits nicely in the Sci-Fi part. Mosquitor and Scare Glow I just disagree, I love both concepts and designs, but we can't argue tastes. As for Scare Glow being redundant, maybe you're right, unless you see him as the (future) ghost of Skeletor rather than a ghost who works for Skeletor. I think his glow in the dark feature is great, and agreeing with Benedict, fits with the character concept. But once again, tastes are just that.

Yep, mentioned before. Totally agree

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfchild View Post
    I'm not a ninja hater LOL. I just don't like Ninjor and his place in MotU. I see MotU as sci-fi meets swords and sorcery, so I'm fine with barbarians with laser riffles, cyborg animal humanoids, and the like. But cowboys and Ninjas seem out of place for me, that's it.

Uhhh, swords and sorcery? Don't ninjas fight with swords (ninja-to), shuriken, and tashibishi? And don't ninjas have their own brand of ninja "magic", kuji kiri (practical sorcery) and kuji in (mystic power)? I believe Ninjor has validity as to his inclusion into the MOTU as the next big-eared flying koala bear with a beak or Kowl.

But man, those were the eighties, ninjas were cool so ninja heroes had to show up. And I forgot, there were also the Ninja Turtles!
    Oooh, mentioning those atrocitites to true Ninjitsu is truly a low blow. I thought you were cool!
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I like the idea of Mattel Classics.

I would like a Blackstar figure and a few Bravestarr figures sculpted by the 4 HM to fit in with MOTUC.

What i really want probably won't happen, but like many of you would love 4HM ThunderCats, SilverHawks, and TigerSharks done.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

If all the figures share the same style, design and scale by the 4H, I'd love to throw in MOTUC figures with BraveStarr, Thundercats & Galaxy Rangers. All of those 80's cartoons have mixed genres, western & barbarian legends with sci-fi. There shouldn't be any restrictions in any collection if it is a figure that anyone enjoy having.

Heroic Master of Tugging CarKrash's Avatar
    I think they should have MOTUC Captain Planet, and MOTUC Snorks.

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Since GI Joe gave us a Matt Tracker from M.A.S.K., I totally get why Bravestarr could work in MOTUC.

Bravestarr was anotehr Mattel property. His outfit is already very similar to that of Rio Blast's. If Mattel wanted to sneak Marshall Bravestarr into the line as a nod to the fans of that series, I would certainly buy him.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    And Egyptian magic users.

I could see a cowboy being a super stretch. We have a fantasy world with varying levels of mideval or feudal echoes from Earthen society--Roman (Skeletor's armor), British (Extendar), Germanic (He-Man and Fisto), Egyptian (200X King Hsss, 200X Sorceress), Chinese (Jitsu), Japanese (Ninjor, 200X Sy-Klone)...then we get to Rio Blast.

(Native American inspired MOTU characters...hmmm)

I'd prefer it if Rio originally came from New Texas, then he would be the only cowboy type on Eternia, which seems more plausible than the whole world being a fantasy world until you step into a Wild West type area with saloons and wagons. I guess it's sorta like running into a place on Eternia with 1930's gansters in zoot suits with limos and tommy guns.

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    This was already kinda answered in WTFWTK 2.19

3. Is there any chance of characters from other Mattel brands making their way into MOTUC, like Hasbro has done with GI Joe by adding Matt Trakker from M.A.S.K?
    No. MOTU Classics will only feature characters from the world of He-Man and She-Ra.

Quote Originally Posted by The.Idea.of.Evil View Post

3. Is there any chance of characters from other Mattel brands making their way into MOTUC, like Hasbro has done with GI Joe by adding Matt Trakker from M.A.S.K?
    No. MOTU Classics will only feature characters from the world of He-Man and She-Ra.
    Remember when I said "Wait for it..." waaaay back in post #10?

That applies to other toyline characters in MOTUC, but does that mean bio mentions are out too?

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Uhhh, swords and sorcery? Don't ninjas fight with swords (ninja-to), shuriken, and tashibishi? And don't ninjas have their own brand of ninja "magic", kuji kiri (practical sorcery) and kuji in (mystic power)? I believe Ninjor has validity as to his inclusion into the MOTU as the next big-eared flying koala bear with a beak or Kowl.
    Hmmm Swords and Sorcery in the tradicional definition. You know what I meant. Star Wars also has swords and sorcery but I guess that would be the typical definition for it.

Not defending Kowl here cause I don't really care for that character, but even if silly he still fits better imho.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    And Egyptian magic users.

I could see a cowboy being a super stretch. We have a fantasy world with varying levels of mideval or feudal echoes from Earthen society--Roman (Skeletor's armor), British (Extendar), Germanic (He-Man and Fisto), Egyptian (200X King Hsss, 200X Sorceress), Chinese (Jitsu), Japanese (Ninjor, 200X Sy-Klone)...then we get to Rio Blast.

(Native American inspired MOTU characters...hmmm)

I'd prefer it if Rio originally came from New Texas, then he would be the only cowboy type on Eternia, which seems more plausible than the whole world being a fantasy world until you step into a Wild West type area with saloons and wagons. I guess it's sorta like running into a place on Eternia with 1930's gansters in zoot suits with limos and tommy guns.
    All those are "mundane" inspirations for the line that appear as influences in design more than in concept. Jitsu is a bit over that line already, Ninjor is even more. Rio Blast's an extreme I guess. Having Ninjor in the line implies a whole ninja culture that needed explanation and that does not fit the "typical" sword and sorcery concept. Also, being less of a generic concept, it makes MotU too close to Earth (yep I know it's too close already).

Quote Originally Posted by The.Idea.of.Evil View Post

Mattel is wise

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Hmmm Swords and Sorcery in the tradicional definition. You know what I meant. Having Ninjor in the line implies a whole ninja culture that needed explanation and that does not fit the "typical" sword and sorcery concept. Also, being less of a generic concept, it makes MotU too close to Earth (yep I know it's too close already).
    I don't know. I guess our perceptions of fantasy sci-fi are just different. I could easily imagine ninjas fighting barbarians especially in a world where there are humanoid crab creatures, skull-faced indivduals or a floating blue elf with regressed intelligence. With such a varied collection of characters, really what can you say no to? Flying ponies? Got those. Living rocks? Check. Aliens in space ships? Why not? Elephants with 3 trunks? Sure. Logically, I cannot think of a reason that Ninjor could not inhabit Eternia.

And since when has it been necessary to explain anything in the MOTU universe? You're supposed to take everything for granted. It's a fantasy world where talking frogs in little hats sit on top of mushrooms in Gumdrop Alley down Lollipop Lane.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Hmmm Swords and Sorcery in the tradicional definition. You know what I meant. Star Wars also has swords and sorcery but I guess that would be the typical definition for it.

All those are "mundane" inspirations for the line that appear as influences in design more than in concept. Jitsu is a bit over that line already, Ninjor is even more. Rio Blast's an extreme I guess. Having Ninjor in the line implies a whole ninja culture that needed explanation and that does not fit the "typical" sword and sorcery concept. Also, being less of a generic concept, it makes MotU too close to Earth (yep I know it's too close already).
    Swords and sorcery isn't only European stuff.

Conan is swords and sorcery type of stuff and there you can see ninjas and samurais battling with barbarians like for example in "Conan and the Demons of Khitai" comic by Darkhorse, what Ninjor just needs is a good bio explaining his origins.

As for Rio Blast I like to think that he came from New Texas to Eternia for whoever knows what reason, and to go with some Bravestar characters into Motuc would be a way to give Rio Blast more consistency (which he really lacks) within the Motu universe.
    I donīt see why Bravestar characters couldnīt be implemented in Motuc line as bonus figures, I really think those characters would give more consistency to Rio Blast and "Wild West Side" of Motuc which Iīm not too much of a fan but well...
    I wouldnīt like to see Bravestar figures taking a monthly slot, but as bonus figures I think itīs okay, who wants them gets them who donīt want that figures just pass on them.

Motu universe needs a real solid backstory, which for me it was starting to develop with the Mvc comic series, that was my main disapointment with Mattel over the years the cancelling of that comic book series. That comic was starting to develop a real backstory for Motu.
    Last edited by mistaloko; August 27, 2009 at 04:28am.

Heroic Warrior
    Why can't people be more open minded Mattel is rewriting the Mythos. They could add whatever they would want heck Maybe they do nee to make the Matteliverse. Think about it more oppertunity to go retail with a line like that or at least broden the appeal of the figures to a larger crowd.
    besides Rio blast always seemed morew like a visitor to Eternia than a permenent resident.

maybe they could rewrite it as the marshals took over for the cosmic enforcers.

Quote Originally Posted by tmthor View Post
    Why can't people be more open minded Mattel is rewriting the Mythos. They could add whatever they would want heck Maybe they do nee to make the Matteliverse. Think about it more oppertunity to go retail with a line like that or at least broden the appeal of the figures to a larger crowd.
    besides Rio blast always seemed morew like a visitor to Eternia than a permenent resident.

maybe they could rewrite it as the marshals took over for the cosmic enforcers.
    Probably because it doesn't need to be rewritten to accommodate
    other distinct lines/characters. As someone pointed out a long time ago, MOTU
    already has a rich mythos with plenty of characters, making unnecessary
    alterations to simply add characters that were never a part of it would
    be superfluous. Sure, they can add whatever they like, but that
    wouldn't necessarily make it a good idea.

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    I like this topic. I think adding Bravestarr into the MOTUC line is an outstanding idea and a fantastic nod to a line that doesn't get enough attention, as long as it doesn't cause true MOTU characters to go unproduced.
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!