Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hordak trapped in Despondos

Hordak trapped in Despondos

I just finished watching the entire 2002 He-Man series, and I have a question about Hordak. If he was trapped in Despondos since his battle with King Grayskull and was never released, then how could he have kidnapped Adora and take her to Etheria? Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sea Hawk View Post
    I just finished watching the entire 2002 He-Man series, and I have a question about Hordak. If he was trapped in Despondos since his battle with King Grayskull and was never released, then how could he have kidnapped Adora and take her to Etheria? Thanks for your help.
    It was never said he did such a thing in the MYP continuity..
    But people have speculated that he had one of his henchmen do it. Perhaps Keldor, perhaps Pravus. Who knows... Maybe Adora had another backstory this time.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Emiliano said that MVC had worked it out that the spell was backfired, and it was actually Eternia that was trapped in Despondos, or at least separated from the rest of the universe, which is where Hordak really went. So he's off on Horde World or Etheria while Eternia is locked away from him through a dimensional rift.

RE the possibility that Adora/She-Ra had a different origin in MYP, that's one reason I'm glad the show stopped. The other being the Fisto-daddy thing. I was okay with Skeletor as Adam's uncle though.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Emiliano said that MVC had worked it out that the spell was backfired, and it was actually Eternia that was trapped in Despondos, or at least separated from the rest of the universe, which is where Hordak really went. So he's off on Horde World or Etheria while Eternia is locked away from him through a dimensional rift.
    That doesn't make any sence.. Hordak specificly asks Skeletor to free him from the acursed dimention. Besides, an entire planet trapped in an alternate dimention is pretty far out threre imo.

I love the MVC comics, but that and the anti Eternia thing just isn't very apealing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    I love the MVC comics, but that and the anti Eternia thing just isn't very apealing to me.
    I understand, although it was a nice break from the formula of a villain trapped somewhere. Skeletor was trapped on the Dark Hemsiphere after fighting Randor in the past, King Hsss trapped in another dimension after fighting Zodak in the past, and then Hordak was trapped in another dimension after fighting King Grayskull in the past (to say nothing of Marzo and Evilseed being trapped in other forms after fighting someone in the past). Although I suppose Hordak could look at it as having freedom to be on Eternia where he wants to be rather than not being there.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I understand, although it was a nice break from the formula of a villain trapped somewhere. Skeletor was trapped on the Dark Hemsiphere after fighting Randor in the past, King Hsss trapped in another dimension after fighting Zodak in the past, and then Hordak was trapped in another dimension after fighting King Grayskull in the past (to say nothing of Marzo and Evilseed being trapped in other forms after fighting someone in the past). Although I suppose Hordak could look at it as having freedom to be on Eternia where he wants to be rather than not being there.
    Yeah there kind of was a "being trapped" theme going on...
    But there wasn't really another option I guess. Killing a character is pretty definitive so trapping them is a good way of getting rid of some characters and putting them on ice for when they are needed. I am surprised they killed Webstor btw.

The rumor is that MYP was going to do this:

If you notice, Veena was pregnant in the "Powers of Grayskull" episode.

fast forward...

Evil Lyn frees Hordak & The Horde from Despondos, and they take over Eternia.

The Masters become REBELS.

And King Grayskull's daughter is brought to the future, and She-Ra helps to defeat the Horde.

I would bet that Adora was to be passed off as a long lost sister?

And now you know why Mattel may have SLAMMED on the brake and ended that show!! LOL
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    The rumor is that MYP was going to do this:

If you notice, Veena was pregnant in the "Powers of Grayskull" episode.

fast forward...

Evil Lyn frees Hordak & The Horde from Despondos, and they take over Eternia.

The Masters become REBELS.

And King Grayskull's daughter is brought to the future, and She-Ra helps to defeat the Horde.

I would bet that Adora was to be passed off as a long lost sister?

And now you know why Mattel may have SLAMMED on the brake and ended that show!! LOL
    Yeah, that storyline would have been too different from the original storyline for me.

But people have speculated that he had one of his henchmen do it. Perhaps Keldor, perhaps Pravus. Who knows... Maybe Adora had another backstory this time.
    I like that idea. If Hordak could communicate with Skeletor while he was trapped, then he could communicate with his minions. I like the original storyline better with Hordak kidnapping Adora himself, but at least it isn't too far off.
    Last edited by Captain Sea Hawk; August 26, 2009 at 08:37pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I would have been fine with a completely different origin for Adora, as I'm not a fan of the whole "Etheria" thing anyway. As with the Fisto storyline, I welcomed new takes on the characters.

Besides, an entire planet trapped in an alternate dimention is pretty far out threre imo.
    In the original story concept for MOTU, The Fighting Foe Men, Eternia was sent into a space/time warp and held in timeless limbo.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    In the original story concept for MOTU, The Fighting Foe Men, Eternia was sent into a space/time warp and held in timeless limbo.
    Still I find this a strange concept. What would it add to the story? Just Keep Eternia at the centre of the universe... The place were gods reside without knowing they are in fact gods.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sea Hawk View Post
    different series, different story...

Court Magician Raider of Shadows's Avatar
    I think that a problem with the idea that some of Hordak's Eternian bound henchmen kidnapped Adora and sent her to Hordak is that I'd have a hard time believing that somehow he'd ask for a portal to be opened to him in Despondos but not want to be freed from said "accursed dimension". Also if it was Skeletor who had already opened a portal to Despondos, why could he be so shocked that Hordak wants to be freed through one?
    -Finding Nemo Auditions-
    Hordak of Despondos reading for the part of Dori the Fish, Take 1:

*AHEM* I shall call him squishy and he...will be MINE!

So much of the timeline is vague, we really don't know what the circumstances would be for a more Filmation-faithful origin for Adora. We don't even know when the twins were born in relation to events involving Keldor/Skeletor. He may have been totally uninvolved behind the Mystic Wall, or he may have been involved prior to becoming Skeletor. Who knows how the magic works, the connection Keldor has with Hordak may have required a sacrifice (Adora). My own theory is that Keldor used his connection to Miro to abduct one or maybe both children, and it was all kept secret from Randor to prevent him from recklessly attacking Keldor out of vengeance. But the timeline is really not clear, and neither are the rules of the magic.

I've wondered, since volume three of the MVC comic, whether the need for a baby (female) was necessary... Keldor did go back in time to take baby Evil Lyn to the future with him... it's too coincidental.
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider of Shadows View Post
    I think that a problem with the idea that some of Hordak's Eternian bound henchmen kidnapped Adora and sent her to Hordak is that I'd have a hard time believing that somehow he'd ask for a portal to be opened to him in Despondos but not want to be freed from said "accursed dimension". Also if it was Skeletor who had already opened a portal to Despondos, why could he be so shocked that Hordak wants to be freed through one?
    You've got a point.. Maybe Adora wasn't taken to Despondos afterall. Perhaps she is being trained in another location, the Frightzone maybe. Where Hordaks remaining forces are waiting for his return. They probably lack the means to get him back though. We know that only powerfull magic can open a portal.

I don't think Skeletor opened a portal though.

The thing that I don't understand is why Hordak waited this long to collect on Skeletors dept. Couldn't he just get Keldor to open a portal before He-Man "returned"?

That doesn't make any sence.. Hordak specificly asks Skeletor to free him from the acursed dimention. Besides, an entire planet trapped in an alternate dimention is pretty far out threre imo.
    You're right, but you see, we must admit we wanted to change a 2 or 3 things from the MYP cartoon.
    Since we were diverging, something sooner or later would have turned out to be different.
    And Despondos was one of these.

All Vol.3 is about that.
    Despondos is not a dimension, but more like a barrier.
    Eternia is still at the center of the Universe, exactly in the same location, but trapped in this pocket dimension/barrier. No one can see it, and no one can find it.
    Plus, Despondos is poisonous. Enybody trying to pass through it will become sick and die eventually.
    Exactly what happens to Evil-Lyn in Vol.3.

But Despondos is an old spell, and who created it also created some keys the allow for a safe passage in and out of it...

Most of that happened in the never released Randor miniseries, where we see Keldor and Prhavus kidnapping Adora and using one of the key to Despondos to pass her to Hordak...

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I've wondered, since volume three of the MVC comic, whether the need for a baby (female) was necessary... Keldor did go back in time to take baby Evil Lyn to the future with him... it's too coincidental.
    Hehe, we through lot of hints and lot of confusing clues there
    Looks like Keldor was there for the baby, but he was actually in the past to retrive the Havoc Staff, and taking Evil-Lyn and save her was the price for the trade with the Faceless One.

now, if you've been reading carefully the post so far you should know what the Havoc Staff actually is... and doing some links unveil lot of more stuff (i'll you guys try to figure all this again before adding more)

You've got a point.. Maybe Adora wasn't taken to Despondos afterall. Perhaps she is being trained in another location, the Frightzone maybe. Where Hordaks remaining forces are waiting for his return. They probably lack the means to get him back though. We know that only powerfull magic can open a portal.

I don't think Skeletor opened a portal though.

The thing that I don't understand is why Hordak waited this long to collect on Skeletors dept. Couldn't he just get Keldor to open a portal before He-Man "returned"?
    That's the important question. All this is linked and tied together. We'll get to an explanation soon!
    BTW, in the MVC comic, Adora was brought out of Eternia, and raised on the Horde World and then on Etheria, exactly as in the Filmation series.
    We were trying our best to keep the importat element the same without contraddicting too much the new cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    You're right, but you see, we must admit we wanted to change a 2 or 3 things from the MYP cartoon.
    Since we were diverging, something sooner or later would have turned out to be different.
    And Despondos was one of these.

All Vol.3 is about that.
    Despondos is not a dimension, but more like a barrier.
    Eternia is still at the center of the Universe, exactly in the same location, but trapped in this pocket dimension/barrier. No one can see it, and no one can find it.
    Plus, Despondos is poisonous. Enybody trying to pass through it will become sick and die eventually.
    Exactly what happens to Evil-Lyn in Vol.3.

But Despondos is an old spell, and who created it also created some keys the allow for a safe passage in and out of it...
    Hmm. Could that contradiction with the TV show be avoided if Hordak was lying to Skeletor/Keldor that he was trapped? I don't know how much Keldor/Skeletor had to know about Hordak, but it might have served Hordak better to let him and anyone on Eternia think he was trapped somewhere and not that there's a barrier protecting Eternia from him. For one thing, it probably lets them think they'll have some degree of control over Hordak after conjuring him rather than his having a galactic space army waiting to invade like Darkseid in DC comics (oh, and the Cosmic Enforcers are like New Genesis--I love this stuff!!!).

Most of that happened in the never released Randor miniseries, where we see Keldor and Prhavus kidnapping Adora and using one of the key to Despondos to pass her to Hordak...
    So Keldor was to be involved with the abduction of Adora! I love that Keldor and Prahvus are both in there too. Oh sob, the Randor miniseries! I'm crying again.

Hehe, we through lot of hints and lot of confusing clues there
    Looks like Keldor was there for the baby, but he was actually in the past to retrive the Havoc Staff, and taking Evil-Lyn and save her was the price for the trade with the Faceless One.

now, if you've been reading carefully the post so far you should know what the Havoc Staff actually is... and doing some links unveil lot of more stuff (i'll you guys try to figure all this again before adding more)
    Keldor called the Havoc Staff a "key" in Vol 3, and also the Faceless One needed both it and Evil-Lyn's staff to help cure her of the poison from Despondos. Not sure if that means they both were keys, but I'm thinking every staff could have been some kind of key now. Teela's staff of Ka might open Viper Tower? And the Sorceress's staff might have opened Central Tower or a secret door in Grayskull. Maybe He-Ro's and Zodak's were keys too!

We were trying our best to keep the importat element the same without contraddicting too much the new cartoon.
    I think you did an excellent job and certainly from what you've described, you were planning to merge a lot more of what I wanted to see in the MYP-verse than MYP itself seemed interested in.
    Last edited by gbagok; September 10, 2009 at 08:54pm.

How about the Cosmic key... Gwildor could probably open a gate.

Not to sure how to feel about the Despondos is a giant mystic wall thing... I kinda like Hordak being imrissoned.

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vazqjose View Post
    different series, different story...
    Indeed.

A big fan of Slush Head
    So basically Hordak was tossed to the other side of the barrier when he was sent to Despondos. Does this mean he sent Keldor to the past to bring the havoc staff in order to help him cross the barrier?
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post
    So basically Hordak was tossed to the other side of the barrier when he was sent to Despondos. Does this mean he sent Keldor to the past to bring the havoc staff in order to help him cross the barrier?
    Sort of.
    We had also to work Hordak's body being destroyed in the POG episode.
    And yes, Hordak sent Keldor back in time to bring back the Havoc Staff.
    But he didn't want to open the passage right away.

Horde Prime had been defeated by Grayskull once. So he needs a weapon to use it again Grayskull before trying to invade Eternia again.
    So the Havoc Staff was needed at first not to let the Horde in, but to let the "weapon" out of Eternia to the Horde World...

A big fan of Slush Head
    Sort of.
    And yes, Hordak sent Keldor back in time to bring back the Havoc Staff.
    But he didn't want to open the passage right away.

Horde Prime had been defeated by Grayskull once. So he needs a weapon to use it again Grayskull before trying to invade Eternia again.
    So the Havoc Staff was needed at first not to let the Horde in, but to let the "weapon" out of Eternia to the Horde World...
    That sounds really interesting. I like the fact that Grayskull also confront Horde Prime in battle.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

Heroic Warrior
    I don't really see a feasible reason why Hordak couldn't have been trapped in the series. Hordak was vanquished and trapped in another dimension where he was apparently able to rebuild his horde. Hordak's ultimate goal though was Eternia and the secrets of the power of Eternia.

The less like Filmation the better. Hordak in the new show was actually EVIL.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

In that case, wouldn't all of Hordak's Hordesmen have died when being banished from Eternia?

Sort of.
    I guess the destruction of his original boy would lead to him getting an artificial one with shapeshifting abilities like he performed in Filmation, wouldn't it?
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."