Thread: New Shakarran Crystal and MVC flashback speculation

New Shakarran Crystal and MVC flashback speculation

It's been a while since anyone talked about the Shakarran Crystal, but Emiliano has dropped some new hints (BIG hints) in the MOTUC boards.

To refresh memories, the Crystal was in the first volume of the MVC comic, and it contained an ancient evil being. Fans have long wondered who this was, but it may have been more complex than we first thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The creature imprisoned in the Shakarran Crystal is a fallen Ancient.
    Or, part of him.
    After he was banned by the other Ancients, to save himself, he splitted his very being in 2 halves, becoming almost 2 separated creatures.
    One of them remained on Eternia and fought He-Ro, the other got a mechanical body and hidden himself on a fallen world...
    Can you guess who they are are now?
    The Ancients apparently are powerful beings like the Elders and other figures from Eternia's past. Emiliano also had this to say about them and the Overlords (apparently a higher tier of divine beings in MOTU):

The Overlords where not Trollans in Filmations and in the MVC comic.
    The Trolla reference has been added in the MOTUC bios, I guess to differentiate that from the Filmation and MVC version.

In the comic, they are entities existing in a separated dimension.
    They are eternals. Big bang after big bang, there have been many universes but the Overlords always existed and will always exists.
    They use the Starseed to create the universe and "plant and grow" life.
    The only other constant between all the Universe are the 2 Planet at the center of the Universe, that keep it balanced.... or at least that how it was before the Great Wars (see minicomics)

Ancients are semigods, less powerful than the Overlords.
    They exist (or existed) only in the current universe and are probably some of the most (sorry for the pun) ancient life form.
    Could the Ancients be the characters we saw casting spells on the Crystal in the flashbacks of Volume 1? Or was that another incarnation of the Council of Wisdom? There were some cool-looking characters glimpsed in there (I will find a picture).

So after all this time, does it sound to anyone else like the villain trapped the Crystal was the Nameless One and that he was/is connected to Horde Prime?

And could this two-halves thing be related to the two swords? MVC was always more aware of the classic story elements than MYP seemed to be, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were planning something along those lines despite what MYP and Mattel did with the swords.
    Last edited by gbagok; September 9, 2009 at 11:59pm.

Could be.. The entity might be Horde Prime or maybe even part of Hordak.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Pizza flows through me HordeFan's Avatar
    Horde Prime was the first person that popped in my head. Could the second be Hordak? Wouldn't it be weird to boss around your other half like Horde Prime did in POP??

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    So after all this time, does it sound to anyone else like the villain trapped the Crystal was the Nameless One and that he was/is connected to Horde Prime?
    The Nameless One is Keldor. It seems that the two halves of the fallen Ancient are Horde Prime and Hordak.

A big fan of Slush Head
    One is definitely Horde Prime. Now the other one that fought He-Ro I am not so sure of.
    It has to be the Namelessone since MVC took a lot from classic continuity.
    He-Ro fought against the snakemen,we have to remember that by the time these guys were writting this He-Ro had not been tied with the Horde at all.
    That came from MOTUC.
    This is very intereting information.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

Horde Prime and Hordak were the first I thought of but Horde Prime and the Nameless One would also make sense as long as the Nameless One is not Keldor as Keldor is not that old.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

I kind of doubt the half trapped in the Crystal was Hordak because, well, Hordak is not trapped in the Crystal during the events of Shard of Darkness. He's trapped in Despondos (or locked out of Despondos, as the case might have been). So the half trapped in the Crystal seems to be someone other than Hordak or King Hsss. The only other character I know of who was to have fought He-Ro would be the Nameless One. Is there anyone else we know about that I've forgotten? Does Megator make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    The Nameless One is Keldor.
    Was that confirmed? I remember in the very original plans that the Nameless One was likened to Emperor Palpatine, the plotter behind everything, but it was not clear he was actually Keldor. That said, I've tended to think like you that he was the same guy, particularly in the MVC comic, but we don't know for sure that's what MVC intended. Maybe Emiliano can tell us. All I am reasonably sure of is a beardless (ie younger, and probably time traveling) Keldor appeared hooded and aiding King Hsss and the King of Zalecia didn't know who he was. But it's always been possible I guess that the unnamed cloaked figure was Keldor but not the Nameless One.

Defender of the Elders Red Trinity's Avatar
    My guess is that the being that split itself was Hordak himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post
    It has to be the Namelessone since MVC took a lot from classic continuity.
    Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    Horde Prime and Hordak were the first I thought of but Horde Prime and the Nameless One would also make sense as long as the Nameless One is not Keldor as Keldor is not that old.
    Was that confirmed? I remember in the very original plans that the Nameless One was likened to Emperor Palpatine, the plotter behind everything, but it was not clear he was actually Keldor. That said, I've tended to think like you that he was the same guy, particularly in the MVC comic, but we don't know for sure that's what MVC intended. Maybe Emiliano can tell us. All I am reasonably sure of is a beardless (ie younger, and probably time traveling) Keldor appeared hooded and aiding King Hsss and the King of Zalecia didn't know who he was. But it's always been possible I guess that the unnamed cloaked figure was Keldor but not the Nameless One.
    Keldor was to be the antagonist of Powers of Grayskull. Keldor discovered a gateway to the past and an opportunity to change history to his advantage; and he took on the guise of the Nameless One so that the Snake Men would not recognize him in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    Keldor was to be the antagonist of Powers of Grayskull. Keldor discovered a gateway to the past and an opportunity to change history to his advantage; and he took on the guise of the Nameless One so that the Snake Men would not recognize him in the future.
    Again, was that part about the guise confirmed or is that just conjecture? Certainly if it was Keldor, he wouldn't know the Snakemen knew him in his future as Skeletor...at least not without some other plot twists.

EDIT: In the interview with Steven Grant, he says:
    "The 'Nameless One' had something to do with Keldor becoming Skeletor. I think he was their version of Emperor Palpatine, the great evil behind everything else. As with everyone else, there was no more backstory."
    That doesn't sound to me like it was the same character, though again that's not really the same as what MVC envisioned (though I liked that arrangement just fine).
    Last edited by gbagok; September 10, 2009 at 08:10pm.

Could the Ancients be the characters we saw casting spells on the Crystal in the flashbacks of Volume 1? Or was that another incarnation of the Council of Wisdom? There were some cool-looking characters glimpsed in there (I will find a picture).
    When I drew that scene we didn't have all that figured out, so those where just placeholder, but fitting the timeline we created while developing the comic, those should be from the Council of Wisdom or what remained of them.

Exactly, the creature trapped in the Crystal was the Unnamed (that's the correct name as called in the POG minicomics.

The fallen Ancient known as Nordor, betrayed his brothers and caused the distruction of Infinitia, the second planet orbiting along with Eternia, breaking the balance of the Universe.
    The Ancients then banned Nordor and took away his name and his shape (so he became the Unnamed).

But Nordor had splitted his essence in two, and hidden one half in a mechanical body on the fallen world of Infinitia, now completely lifeless and lost in the space (and so you can guess what happened to that piece of rock.... but that's another story)

The Unnamed had to use emissaries and other villains to keep fighting the Council and the House of Grayskull, so he made and alliance with King Hiss.
    And, once defeated, at the end of our POG series, he was trapped in the Shakarran Crystal.
    He doesn't have a definite shape, so usually he appears similar to the creatrue he made contact with.
    That's why we see him looking like Orko and He-Man in the comic.

So the Unnamed wasn't Keldor, we wanted to go by what Stevan Grant said: the Unnamed was the "Emperor Palpatine" of the MOTU story, and yet he was also Horde Prime, waiting to reunite his the parts to become even more powerful again.

Looks like there were a lot of reason to go back to Eternia for the Evil Horde!

And could this two-halves thing be related to the two swords? MVC was always more aware of the classic story elements than MYP seemed to be, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were planning something along those lines despite what MYP and Mattel did with the swords.
    I must say you always come up with great connections!
    Well, the 2 halves of Nordor don't have anything to do with the 2 Swords, but the whole story about Infinita is very related to the Swords, and more specifically to the Sword of Protection.

But that's a story for another time

Thanks gbagok and Emil

Awesome. It does explain how Horde Prime has 2 heads

When I drew that scene we didn't have all that figured out, so those where just placeholder, but fitting the timeline we created while developing the comic, those should be from the Council of Wisdom or what remained of them.

Exactly, the creature trapped in the Crystal was the Unnamed (that's the correct name as called in the POG minicomics.

The fallen Ancient known as Nordor, betrayed his brothers and caused the distruction of Infinitia, the second planet orbiting along with Eternia, breaking the balance of the Universe.
    The Ancients then banned Nordor and took away his name and his shape (so he became the Unnamed).

But Nordor had splitted his essence in two, and hidden one half in a mechanical body on the fallen world of Infinitia, now completely lifeless and lost in the space (and so you can guess what happened to that piece of rock.... but that's another story)

The Unnamed had to use emissaries and other villains to keep fighting the Council and the House of Grayskull, so he made and alliance with King Hiss.
    And, once defeated, at the end of our POG series, he was trapped in the Shakarran Crystal.
    He doesn't have a definite shape, so usually he appears similar to the creatrue he made contact with.
    That's why we see him looking like Orko and He-Man in the comic.

So the Unnamed wasn't Keldor, we wanted to go by what Stevan Grant said: the Unnamed was the "Emperor Palpatine" of the MOTU story, and yet he was also Horde Prime, waiting to reunite his the parts to become even more powerful again.

Looks like there were a lot of reason to go back to Eternia for the Evil Horde!

I must say you always come up with great connections!
    Well, the 2 halves of Nordor don't have anything to do with the 2 Swords, but the whole story about Infinita is very related to the Swords, and more specifically to the Sword of Protection.

But that's a story for another time
    Thanks, and wow!! So much! It's all tied together! So wait, does this mean Moon Nordor is Horde World in the distant future, reduced to just the lifeless core rock by the time of the NA? That explains the lack of the Horde in the future. Also, it sort of explains the Crystal in Moon Nordor too. Although we got a different history of the moon in the NA cartoon, so maybe I'm grasping at straws with that theory.

I love that the Unnamed had to take the forms of those he met. So it does sort of tie him and the Ancients to Trolla a little if he was there when he was trapped! He's kind of like the Melog, an enemy who can take your face.

I'm sorry the Vol 1 flashback guys were only placeholders, as a couple of them looked cool in their own right (the lady with long hair and a bald elf looking guy--and a certain cornboy-looking fellow). But I loved the Council of Wisdom guys more.

Quote Originally Posted by claw guy 3 View Post
    Awesome. It does explain how Horde Prime has 2 heads
    OMG, priceless!!

Again, was that part about the guise confirmed or is that just conjecture? Certainly if it was Keldor, he wouldn't know the Snakemen knew him in his future as Skeletor...at least not without some other plot twists.

EDIT: In the interview with Steven Grant, he says:
    "The 'Nameless One' had something to do with Keldor becoming Skeletor. I think he was their version of Emperor Palpatine, the great evil behind everything else. As with everyone else, there was no more backstory."
    That doesn't sound to me like it was the same character, though again that's not really the same as what MVC envisioned (though I liked that arrangement just fine).
    It was revealed in a member interview with a Mattel employee regarding the plans for Powers of Grayskull. I will post it if I find it.

I'm astonished. But if Horde Prime is one half of what's become of Nordor, what about the family connection between him, Hordak and Prince Zed, established in the Filmation show?
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

It seems as though Nordor was destroyed when he split in two and became Hordak and The Unnamed. It would make Hordak HAVE to conquer Eternia.. because he would need to find the crystal, and reunite with the Unnamed.

These two parts became 2 separate characters... who knows? maybe Hordak wouldn't WANT to be part of the re-assembled Nordor! LOL

I think that Keldor IS the one in control. In the Icons of Evil for Beastman, the witch doctor that talks to Keldor (which in a way looks like a withered Demo-Man), and says something about him being destined for like the ultimate greatness.

Keldor (as Skeletor) has the Shakkaran Crystal.. we saw that in Vol 1 of the MVC Comic... and he keeps it hidden somewhere (we presume that it's Snake Mountain, but it could be another dimension for all we know), as he can get to it by using the Havoc Staff (a key) to go from the circle on the floor in Snake Mountain, to the circle where the Crystal is kept... I remember the staff is held in a very important looking thing by that circle.

So, if Keldor HAS the crystal, then he was/is either controlled by The Unnamed, or is USING the Unnamed's power for himself. He betrays Hordak, and attempts to keep Hordak from his other half.

Evil Lyn's fragment of the shard... and Orko's fragment... those confuse me. Unless, the crystal was fragmented on purpose, and all of the Concil members were given pieces... Orko finds his in a chamber that looks like it was made specifically for the crystal, and it has statues of beings reaching for it. We don't know where Evil Lyn found hers, or if she even knows it's true origin.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Very cool, but I think it was Horde Prime, not Hordak, who was meant to be the other half. No doubt though Skeletor would have kept the Crystal from Hordak for the same reason as you say since Hordak would most likely have given it to Horde Prime. I think they were keeping the idea that Hordak had been a good guy before, went evil, and his body was destroyed and remade with stone.

My guess would be the Unnamed was controlling Skeletor but letting Skeletor think he was using the Crystal. Good point about it being in Snake Mountain all along. I just assumed that's where Skeletor had kept it since he moves it at the end of the story. But likely that secret vault was where King Hsss had kept it while he too had used it during his fights with He-Ro, and Skeletor only moves it later because it is whole again.

Evil Lord Of Destruction
    Hmm...i'll need my glasses of supreme nerditude + 2 to find the strenght to finish this post!
    And here we go...the athlec, good looking, mild mannered and educated guy from the office turns into a super nerd again!
    Well, let's see: one "half" of this fallen ancient is definitely horde prime.
    I seriously doubt the other one is hordak, in the old book of supreme futile stories he never met He-Ro who, on the other hand, often battled our old friend King Hiss.
    My vote as the second half of the fallen ancient is him, the king of the snake people!
    Hordak is merely a power to be reckoned with, being bossed around by Horde Prime himself and umiliated by a bunch of tech-backward females on Etheria.
    He lost all Filmation confrontations with his old apprentice, and even in the minicomics he could hardly ever overcome old skully.
    That sounds hardly as half a powerful ancient (bossed around by his other half...)
    In the new hordak bio it says he indeed met He-Ro, but he is said to be secondborn in the succesion as horde leader, this makes him an unlikely candidte.
    Nah, definitely not hordak.
    So yes, Horde Prime and King Hiss!

----nerd mode off-----

PS: just read Emiliano's post. Nordor, huh? And he allied with King Hiss and other villains?
    Cool!
    Last edited by Keldor/Skeletor73; September 19, 2009 at 09:56am.

Quote Originally Posted by Keldor/Skeletor73 View Post
    So yes, Horde Prime and King Hiss!

----nerd mode off-----
    Wait, I think Emiliano said the fallen Ancient became Horde Prime and the Unnamed (who is in the Crystal). I could be wrong, but my understanding is that the Unnamed is an actual character, not an alias for King Hiss or Hordak or Keldor or anybody.

Evil Lord Of Destruction
    Wait, I think Emiliano said the fallen Ancient became Horde Prime and the Unnamed (who is in the Crystal). I could be wrong, but my understanding is that the Unnamed is an actual character, not an alias for King Hiss or Hordak or Keldor or anybody.
    Yes, you're right.
    I previously edited my post.
    Of course i suppose this nameles one is not the faceless one (lynn's father, right?).
    While he is not a shiny good guy he probably fits more in the neutral, Zodac like cat then the evil *******.

Wonder if the Classics continuity pertaining to the 'Nameless One' will borrow heavily from MVC's plans for this character.....