Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Mattel's paint apps getting worse or is it just my luck?

Evil Master of Halloween Sorcerer's Avatar

Are Mattel's paint apps getting worse or is it just my luck?

From the time the line started up until last month, I have only had one figure with a messed up paint job.

Last month I got two of Shokoti and Castaspella both. One of my Shokoti figures had a grainy blob on her crotch (yeah, yeah) and the other had blue paint on the front of her gold headdress. One of my Castaspella figures had a messed up lightning stripe on her chest, and her neck has two thick orange stripes down it. I didn't complain much, since it was a pretty isolated instance, and exchanged the figures through Matty (though I have still yet to get my replacements...)

This month I ordered two Batros figures and four Sky High/Jet Sleds.

Both of my Batros figures have paint errors (Purple and blue spatters on the back of one's wings, and a not-fully-painted chest emblem on the other) and all four of my Jet Sleds have paint marks on them. (orange [!?] spot flecks on one, metalic blue marks on another, and two with black marks on the green creature design)

Needless to say I'm getting kind of annoyed. I'm curious though if I just have awful luck or if this is a trend in the line lately.

What are you all seeing?
    "Nothing in this world is the was it should be. It's harsh, and cruel, and that's why there's us. We live as if the world were as it should be, to show it what it could be."

Both my Batros and Sky High/Jet Sled have excellent paint apps. Then again maybe I just have good luck? I've never really had any huge, can't live without correcting, paint issues.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Widget
    I've had very good luck with MOTUC figures regarding paint apps. Today's arrival of Sky High is my first 'terrible' paint app. His left eye is painted half silver. Luckily it's any easy fix.

Heroic Warrior
    My condolences to you.

I don't order from Matty as much as some people, but unfortunately when I opened my 2 MOTUC & 2 DCIE figs last month I was confronted with a group of 4 paint splotched faces. I haven't gotten this month's group yet, hopefully it will better.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry_Picker View Post
    My condolences to you.

I don't order from Matty as much as some people, but unfortunately when I opened my 2 MOTUC & 2 DCIE figs last month I was confronted with a group of 4 paint splotched faces. I haven't gotten this month's group yet, hopefully it will better.
    I have had a couple clunkers... I really did not like the paint on Spikor... They ruined a great character with the whole black plastic and gloppy paint... huge let down. Now my Batros has a pretty bad paint rub on his right arm. I was going to send it back... how are the replacement figures? Do they ever look worse than the ones you send back I wonder?
    Check out my band The Caterpillar Book on iTunes, Rhapsody, Amazon, etc.

My Castaspella was shocking. A couple of others weren't great. Sky High though-the clip for the wings basically all peeled off last night. It's the colour of the wing underneath, but still very poor.

Sorry about your luck. In my experience, 2013 has been really solid.

Overall, I've been quite pleased with QC this year. Other than Batros' mace, which arrived atrociously painted, I haven't had any issues with bad paint apps in 2013.

Both My Batros and Sky High with Sled had perfect apps.

Quote Originally Posted by RyDell View Post
    I have had a couple clunkers... I really did not like the paint on Spikor... They ruined a great character with the whole black plastic and gloppy paint... huge let down. Now my Batros has a pretty bad paint rub on his right arm. I was going to send it back... how are the replacement figures? Do they ever look worse than the ones you send back I wonder?
    Yes. It can be worse. Just keep sending it back until you get a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by RyDell View Post
    Sometimes the replacements are worse and sometimes they will have a different QC issue. There have been a few figures I had to send back more than once in order to get acceptable figures. However, it's been quite a while since I had any issues major enough to send a figure back over.

Heroic Warrior
    Got my Batros today and he has blue paint all over his wing. I sent Shotoki back last month because she had a chipped eyebrow and Castaspella because her wheel piece was broken right out of the package. I haven't had good luck lately.

I never had any problems until Shokoti. Had to get her replaced, then Batros came with a black splotch next to his eye. Seems like there have been a lot of paint problems with Shokoti though.

Quote Originally Posted by PPC View Post
    Got my Batros today and he has blue paint all over his wing. I sent Shotoki back last month because she had a chipped eyebrow and Castaspella because her wheel piece was broken right out of the package. I haven't had good luck lately.
    That's not blue paint, the bicep is blue and painted purple, red and black.

- - - Updated - - -

Other than a couple minor issues, my figures have been fine. Only main issues have been loose ankles. And a couple bobble heads.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

My Beastman has shockingly bad paint aps with his blue medallion all over his manly chest. Apart from him though I have been very lucky and all my figures have no issues.
    The Lurkiest

**Scott please make me a Staghorn**

I also have a figure condition poll for reporting issues.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Has anyone noticed any sign of blastic on Batros? Someone asked on the matty forums and the response from TG apparently hints that blastic may still be in use on certain figures. I hope I just misunderstood his comment.
    Jii Dee regarding Matty's view on MOTUC Collectors: "Here be whiny surrender monkey dragons".

MOTUC NEEDS: Tung Lashor, Rio Blast, Sssqueeze, Dragstor, Saurod & Lord Masque.

Forgive my ignorance; what is "blastic"? I've seen it mentioned in a few recent topics, but I don't know what it means.

Quote Originally Posted by mister_e View Post
    Forgive my ignorance; what is "blastic"? I've seen it mentioned in a few recent topics, but I don't know what it means.
    Some figures were casted in black plastic (DB Skeletor) and then painted over. In some cases paint rub made the black plastic (blastic) visible.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: @the OP, no paint issues here.
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

As Scott often says (and I agree), each of these figures is a unique hand-made collectible. Paint apps aren't always going to be great unfortunately. Some months are grand slams and some flops (in the paint ops dept). Take the good with the bad.

I'd say the overall quality has improved over the years though- vastly.
    Harken to the coming of RIO BLAST!!

Quote Originally Posted by mister_e View Post
    It's short for "black plastic". Basically, to save their client (Mattel in this case) money manufacturers can mix leftover liquid plastic and use it. As an example, instead of using blue plastic to make Skeletor, the manufacturer would mix lots of left over plastic together, make the figures out of that and then paint the figure blue. The process works ok and saves the company money... unless the paint chips off. Then you get unhappy collectors

The issue cropped up about a year ago for MOTUC. Here's the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnster View Post
    Some figures were casted in black plastic (DB Skeletor) and then painted over. In some cases paint rub made the black plastic (blastic) visible.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksensor View Post
    It's short for "black plastic". Basically, to save their client (Mattel in this case) money manufacturers can mix leftover liquid plastic and use it. As an example, instead of using blue plastic to make Skeletor, the manufacturer would mix lots of left over plastic together, make the figures out of that and then paint the figure blue. The process works ok and saves the company money... unless the paint chips off. Then you get unhappy collectors

The issue cropped up about a year ago for MOTUC. Here's the thread.
    Ah, thanks for the explanation. I appreciate it

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    All the figures I've had this year have been painted exceptionally well with very little slop. I'm also happy that the ladies all have their faces fully painted.

Only paint issue I've had which bugged me slightly was a clear glossy streak on Octavia's forehead, but you need to catch the light on it to see it properly so it's no biggie.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Saurod ~ Gwildor ~ Crita ~ Dylamug ~ Staghorn ~ Ninjor ~ Tung Lashor ~ Oo-Larr ~ Darius ~ Evilseed ~ Masks of Power Demons ~ Skelcons ~ Kothos ~ Hawke ~ Veena ~ Spydra ~ Angast ~ S-S-Sssqueeze ~ Sweet Bee ~ Tuskador ~ Lodar ~ Entrapta ~ Sorceress Teela ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Kex Queen ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Mermista ~ Red Shadow ~ Fang-Or ~ Crimson Fury ~

Quote Originally Posted by Saved View Post
    Has anyone noticed any sign of blastic on Batros? Someone asked on the matty forums and the response from TG apparently hints that blastic may still be in use on certain figures. I hope I just misunderstood his comment.
    No, Batros has none, and I have not noticed any on recent figures. But I wouldn't put it past their world class design team to do it again here and there, just to be asses or something.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Quote Originally Posted by Saved View Post
    Unique parts are going to be molded in the same color. So whatever color his wing parts are, that entire section of his arm is going to be. Remember Tri-Klops? His left forearm was molded in greestic. Batros' head and neck collar are blue plastic, so it's likely that his biceps and wings are also molded in blustic and painted over.

On-topic, the only paint issues I've had were Snake Face's chest emblem (they didn't paint the lower jaw of the snake), and Sky High's wing clip came pre-chipped revealing yellstic.