Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Sorceress - The Matriarch

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar

1st Sorceress - The Matriarch

Ok, as promised, my idea for the 1st Sorceress that protects the power of Eternia,

The Matriarch

Its taken me 2 years to find the time to finish her design, for a project that Patreek and I have been kicking about for a while. So I'll be a little cagey about the backstory for now.

However what I will say is this. She was given the whole power of the planet Eternia, so that she could restore order and balance.

Her other form is a winged serpent, much like the Quetzocoatl.

The power of a whole planet is a lot for one vessel to take. After many battles, she falls protecting everything she holds dear and the power she holds returns, but part of it goes to her twin daughters, and the rest to the planet itself. One daughter takes the form of the Falcon and protects the source of power, the other is sent to wander dimensions, taking the form of a cobra, her skin tainted green to symbolise her power over nature.

Theres a lot more too it, but its all planned out.

Let me know what you think, although I think I'm gonna get a lot of "Veena was the first Sorceress", to which I answer, fair enough, if thats how you feel.
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

Movie mayhem!
    VERY VERY VERY COOL! We gotta get cracking on this! lol

LOL I know flla, I know. I have so much on at the moment, its crazy, every spare moment is writing in my notebook, trust me.

Hell, I'm already plotting a timeline so I don't get lost

Commissions - [TBA]

very cool, and just cuz veena was shown to us does not mean she was the first or even that grayskull built the castle , or rather took it over to defend it
    Eternian Beastmaster

Heroic Warrior
    Cool work, I remember when you first showed sketches for this project, years ago lol I still love the feathered serpent idea.

Awesome! I really like the Aztec-vibe

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    To be perfectly honest, I dislike a lot of fan characters, especially ones that have connections to pre-exsisting characters, but I like the idea of Zoar and Goddess being related. I my self have spent years thinking about the origins of Eternia. The Design is great. The Quetzocoatl thing is awesome, and I like the idea of her being the mother of the Falcon and Serpent. I love the blue/green skin! How old is The Matriarch? Was she ever a mortal, or something older then mortals?

Personally speaking, I have studied the canons (mini comic, style guides, series bibles, Filmation, MYP) backward and forward connecting the dots between exsisting Ancient Ones. I have everything laid out and it fits perfectly without adding anything new. My creation myth is just that; starting at the big bang with the formation of the Star Seed, and Eternia as the first world at the center of the universe, going through the War of The Ancient Ones that shaped the cosmos through the construction of Grayskull and the rise of monarchy during the Dark Age after the Great Wars and the disappearance of the Council of Elders. All that said, i really LOVE that design and concept of The Matriarch It is even a great name!
    "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

Nice job!

A nice picture. The background story is okay.
    Alles Orko oder was? - ...'cause Trollans are the best! - She-Raver by conviction...

Wow, the blue skin fits well. Great pic!
    Nudge-nudge, wink-wink, eh?

I have the Chocolate!

Heroic Warrior
    LORD FALLEN ELDOR: A bit off topic but I would love to hear more about your views on the MotU history.

Quote Originally Posted by super-munkyboy View Post
    Ok, as promised, my idea for the 1st Sorceress that protects the power of Eternia,

The Matriarch

http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs27/f/20...r_Munkyboy.jpg

Its taken me 2 years to find the time to finish her design, for a project that Patreek and I have been kicking about for a while. So I'll be a little cagey about the backstory for now.

However what I will say is this. She was given the whole power of the planet Eternia, so that she could restore order and balance.

The power of a whole planet is a lot for one vessel to take. After many battles, she falls protecting everything she holds dear and the power she holds returns, but part of it goes to her twin daughters, and the rest to the planet itself. One daughter takes the form of the Falcon and protects the source of power, the other is sent to wander dimensions, taking the form of a cobra, her skin tainted green to symbolise her power over nature.

Theres a lot more too it, but its all planned out.

Let me know what you think, although I think I'm gonna get a lot of "Veena was the first Sorceress", to which I answer, fair enough, if thats how you feel.
    That's pretty cool.

Please try to remember to remove image quotes!
    Last edited by Eamon; September 2, 2009 at 05:53pm. Reason: Image quoting
    It's great being Lord of the Thundercats - especially hanging out with Cheetara - but the one draw back is that He-Man can still beat me up.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post1993306
    Somewhere In Exo-Squad, a fan art by Matt Tyree (just in case you're curious)

awesome design....hope to see more
    http://bugshido.deviantart.com/

Be apart of the "Gatchgrey and Royal-T present: the Bug-Shido Staction Character Contest"
    details here http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=176988

Wow many comments!

gatchagrey, Lion-o, Molus, Orko-78, Evil_Horde, Mara999 - Thanks guys, glad you like her. There will be more pics of her in the future. Oh and even though she has blue skin, she is NOT a Gar. Or a Trollan for that matter.

LORD FALLEN ELDOR - Really chuffed ya like her mate, considering your hatred for fan characters In answer to your questions:

She was mortal. During the rebellion against Wraptor, he kills her father (The Chief of the Tribe) and her as well. She was 28. Her body is thrown into the ceremonial whirlpool, and as she falls into the abyss, the spirit of Eternia itself calls to her and ressurects her to restore the balance to the planet. There is more to it than that but I don't want to give too much away. She is worshipped by her people and a race known as the Saurlorians (Coming very soon), who are anthro dinos, but are slowly de-evolving. More on them later. Her mortal husband and twin children feel distanced from her, due to her new status. If ya want to know more, ask the questions It helps me out

As for timelines, I've been plotting things as well. This happens way before the construction of Grayskull and before He-Ro.

Leoghan - I hear you mate. I had some opposition the first time I revealed her. In this story, once she becomes the Matriarch, she inhabits the temple built above the whirlpool to which she was buried. When she dies the second time, and her power is split, the remaining power returns through the whirlpool. As it does, the water dries up and crystals form (Sound familiar 200x fans). Her body and the source of the power lie at the bottom, far below. As time proceeds, Castle Grayskull is eventually built on top of it. However the reason why is forgotten, even to the Sorceress's who follow on, and The Matriarch is soon forgotten. That is until something begins to rise and stir in Eternia, and our Sorceress and the Green Goddess have to contact their dead ancestor (I'm still leaning towards the Green Goddess being the daughter to the Matriarch, making her immortal. Fair trade off, you're immortal, but must wander dimensions helping others). As for Grayskull, I see it being at the centre of Eternia's leylines, and many structures connect to it, siphoning off some power. The three towers of Eternia for exaple (And there were more I reckon...). Also the role of the Sorceress I see as a calling, so I see many magic users connected in some way.

LOL no one has to agree with this, but its been good to get it out of my had, without too many spoilers.

If you want to know more, go ahead and ask.

After the Big Bad Contest, I'll post the Saurlorians.

Commissions - [TBA]

Quote Originally Posted by super-munkyboy View Post
    Verry cool. To me she has also a lot of the Archaeopteryx, the supposed binding link between dinosaurs and birds.

So the concept of the Sorceress goes from Aztec to Egyptian in it's history! Pretty cool design. Remember seeing a bloger doing an ancient Aztec spin on MOTU and this would fit quite nicely.
    Visit my art page at: http://theblock.deviantart.com/ , if you like my work and have an account there to, feel free to fave or watch me, I could use the street cred !

My new chant: Lets go NA MARA, spike-flail pon-y-tail

Irian - There are intentional subtle nod to Archeopteryx in there. Not majorly, but mainly the fingers on the wings. That could be one of the reasons the Saurlorian's worship her too...hmmm, hadn't though tof that. I really want to post some of them up.

theblock - Not trying to follow any earthly timlines on purpose, just the Aztec vibe fitted the story more. Plus theres the whole Pyramid structure thing linking. One of the reasons I love MOTU is that it feels timeless, all times seem to co-exist, its great. No rules, as it were. Have ya got a link to that Blog BTW?

Commissions - [TBA]

Wow that looks pretty cool!

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Don’t like the tail but, she looks awesome.

SMB! i always liked your concept for this a lot, and i'm glad to see it brought to completion--looks great! and i just realized she's not chibi either. is this the beginning of a new MOTU era from you?
    Visit my sketchblog at its new URL: JASONBOT.com!

Evillyn167 - Thanks...I appreciate the He-Man googly eyes

hhhelmsley - Fair enough about the tail. Its meant to be part of the costume, rather than an extension of herslef. Doesn't look like it. Still undecided.

bootleg - Ta Mr Ho. Glad ya liek her. Its been a long time coming. As for non-chibi, I've been slowly phasing out that style. I don't hate it or anything, just changing my style again. Its actually going towards a more angular approach...sometimes cartoony, sometimes semi like this, when required.

Do you guys like this different style?

Commissions - [TBA]

Heroic Warrior
    What an awesome design. Excellent artwork.

The Matriarch is Up for Votes!

The Matriarch is finally up for votes in Royalt1us's Contest - http://he-man.org/forums/boards/show...08#post2384508

If you like her, please vote for her!

Time to show you some recent fan art.

Awesome Drawing by 2-Bad!:

Finally accepting her destiny and wearing the armour that makes her The Matriarch, drawn by my good friend Athanasius:

A proper history for her...

---------------------------------

Early in Eternian history, before He-Man, before King Grayskull or He-Ro, Eternia was ruled by the Snakemen. Their clans were spread across the world, and other species lived in fear of extinction or enslavement. The center of the Snakemen's power lay in the desert, the white marble pyramid belonging to King Hydrasss. Here was a greater concentration of slaves, mainly human, continuously expanding the city of , erecting temples to Serpos and helping the snakeman cause. In an effort for global conquest, King Hydrasss began to advance on the neighbouring cities of the other species. First to fall was the underwater city of Lord Rakesh, poisoned personally by King Hydrasss. As word spread, the people of the rainforest, banded with other cultures foming a rebellion against the serpent scum.

A'Teala and her tribe provided their rainforest home as a base of operations, and a plan was forged, to raid the city of Apepsss, free the slaves and defeat the snakemen. Unfortunately they didn't count on a spy within the ranks, and when the raid happened, it didn't go according to plan. They managed to save many slaves, but at a great cost. Many members died that day, including A'Teala herself. As was custom, her husband and twin girls wrapped her corpse in leaves, feathers and cloth and threw her body into the great whirlpool in the centre of their temple.
    ------------------
    As her body fell, A'Teala was greeted by a bright blue light which spoke to her. The voice turned out to be the planet Eternia itself. Angered by the unbalance of nature, it demanded that the wrongs be set right. It asked A'Teala if she valued life, if she wanted the power to change things. The conversation flowed and A'Teala agreed to be the Avatar of the Planet itself. Eternia poured itself into the body of A'Teala, changing her body. Her skin became a hue of teal, with runic tattoos of power, her head became bald and from her back sprouted wings.Using her power she sent the water of the whirlpool upwards and she followed. The rebelling tribes heard the commotion and ran to the temple. When they arrived, the water was floating above the whirlpool, now a hole in theground. Floating in the middle was A'Teala, curlled into a ball. Slowly her wings outstretched and her eyes opened, glowing with the power of ETernia itself.

A'Teala found that a year had passed and things had not improved, but gotten worse as King Hydrass's grip had grown. Disorientated, she listened to the stories of the village elders and met those who had been enslaved, learning of things past, present and future. Her husband created an armour for her to wear, based on the tattoos along her back. The visage of the Quetzlcoatl, half hawk, half snake. The armour caused stirrings amongst the people. Part snake, such heresay. That was until the Saurlorian's arrived. They had travelled a great distance to align themselves with A'Teala and her cause. They had prophecised her coming, the Mother of Eternia... The Matriarch.

A'Teala's mission was clear, unite the races of Eternia against the opression of King Hydrasss and restore natures balance.

(Theres a lot more that happens after, and I've skimmed this. Saving it for later, but I hope you get a better idea.)

The Matriarch has a staff used to focus her magical energies. Like her future incarnations, The Matriarch can transform into her totem animal, but unlike them, the creature is made of pure energy, her human form floating within. Its four times the size of a human, and very powerful.
    -------------------------------

I should have her alternate form of the Quetzalcoatl sketched soon.

Commissions - [TBA]

Very cool. I like the character and the bio. Very epic, sort of a Stargate meets MOTU feel to it.
    The former Glass Shrimp also known as See-Shell

I think she looks cool, except for the tale. Not diggin that part.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.