Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 78

Thread: How can we stop the meta-threads?

  1. #1
    Heroic Warrior No-Ah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,324

    How can we stop the meta-threads?

    It seems that Masters of the Universe fans no longer talk about He-Man or She-Ra or Plundor. No one criticizes Matty anymore or questions Toy Guru's decisions. No one defends them either.

    All we ever do anymore is talk about talking about the Masters of the Universe. We talk about negative posts, vague nebulous posts which are never even quoted. We talk about positive posts. We talk about loving and hating our figures, but do we ever find the time to actually love or hate the figures themselves anymore?

    How can we stop talking about vague and poorly defined ideas like positivity, negativity, criticism, and apologies? How can we end the meta-conversation and actually begin debating actual figures and characters again?


    My tongue is in my cheek above. But if we're only talking about talking, that's the surest sign of death for the line. It suggests a lack of interest in the actual product in favor of being more interested in simply arguing.....
    And for those who want to interrupt what debate does occur on the substance of these figures, you should know that you're shifting the interest from the figures themselves.
    Top want list: Evil Seed, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200x Beast-Man, Teela 2.0, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

    Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

  2. #2
    Heroic Warrior Hosed Ovor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    913
    There are figures?

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior Ridureyu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,828
    Well, if you compliment the toy you get called a matty apologist and are told that you're killing the line.

    If you criticize the toy you get called a hater and are told that you're killing the line.

    So we turn to the easiest targets available: One another!

  4. #4
    Serious bidness Ibentmyman-thing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    169
    I never meta thread I didn't like first then hate then grow accustomed to.

  5. #5
    Le Samourai kantboy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Up in the air...
    Posts
    1,338
    Fwoooooooooooosh!
    Seppuku, Ordet, Bad Day at Black Rock, Red Beard, Johnny Guitar, Children of Paradise, The Seventh Seal, I Know Where I'm Going!, Barton Fink, Point Blank, Barry Lyndon, A Nous La Liberte, Young Frankenstein, Only God Forgives, The Leopard

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior No-Ah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    Well, if you compliment the toy you get called a matty apologist and are told that you're killing the line.

    If you criticize the toy you get called a hater and are told that you're killing the line.

    So we turn to the easiest targets available: One another!

    See? There you go again: talking about talking. How does this post aid Skeletor in finally getting inside of Castle Grayskull and claiming its power for his own?????????
    Top want list: Evil Seed, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200x Beast-Man, Teela 2.0, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

    Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

  7. #7
    Heroic Warrior sirsniffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jersey City, NJ
    Posts
    1,255
    There needs to be a Rants and Raves separate board so people can vent.

  8. #8
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,454
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    There needs to be a Rants and Raves separate board so people can vent.
    I remember when the Bayformers movie forums did that. Fun times.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

  9. #9
    Heroic Warrior Jeevesosiris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Chesterfield, UK
    Posts
    1,559
    Has anybody seen Inception?
    The Lurkiest

    **Scott please make me a Staghorn**

  10. #10
    Heroic Warrior Masamune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,063
    You forgot your "the end is nigh" sign, Doomsay-or.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

    In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

  11. #11
    Heroic Warrior Hosed Ovor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    913
    Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    See? There you go again: talking about talking. How does this post aid Skeletor in finally getting inside of Castle Grayskull and claiming its power for his own?????????
    It was Skeletor's castle. It's not his fault he got laid off and couldn't pay his mortgage.

  12. #12
    Heroic Warrior Ridureyu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,828
    Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    See? There you go again: talking about talking. How does this post aid Skeletor in finally getting inside of Castle Grayskull and claiming its power for his own?????????

    I've been distracting the Sorceress this whole time. He should be inside the throne room by now.

  13. #13
    Heroic Warrior Hosed Ovor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    913
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    I've been distracting the Sorceress this whole time. He should be inside the throne room by now.
    That's an amazing talent you have there. I'm glad all of us evil warriors can count on you!

  14. #14
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    893
    Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    It seems that Masters of the Universe fans no longer talk about He-Man or She-Ra or Plundor. No one criticizes Matty anymore or questions Toy Guru's decisions. No one defends them either.

    All we ever do anymore is talk about talking about the Masters of the Universe. We talk about negative posts, vague nebulous posts which are never even quoted. We talk about positive posts. We talk about loving and hating our figures, but do we ever find the time to actually love or hate the figures themselves anymore?

    How can we stop talking about vague and poorly defined ideas like positivity, negativity, criticism, and apologies? How can we end the meta-conversation and actually begin debating actual figures and characters again?


    My tongue is in my cheek above. But if we're only talking about talking, that's the surest sign of death for the line. It suggests a lack of interest in the actual product in favor of being more interested in simply arguing.....
    And for those who want to interrupt what debate does occur on the substance of these figures, you should know that you're shifting the interest from the figures themselves.
    But the thing is, I don't think we are just talking like that. Sure, there's usually 3-6 threads going on the first page that are of that nature, but they're surrounded by a couple of dozen other threads focusing on the actual line. A lot of the upcoming figures are seeing heavy discussion the last couple of days thanks to Tokyonever's pics. For good or ill, Filmation Hordak and NA Skeletor are getting a lot of mileage. The obscure character polls are going on. The meta threads are loud and vocal, for sure, but by no means even all that plentiful in relation.
    MOTUC Wishlist Dylamug, Songster, Evil Robot, Tuvar and Badra, Game Master, Grayskull Robot, Lizard Man, Karg, Prahvus, Skelcon(s), the new villains from He-Ro/Dare

  15. #15
    HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Southern Maryland
    Posts
    4,163
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    Well, if you compliment the toy you get called a matty apologist and are told that you're killing the line.

    If you criticize the toy you get called a hater and are told that you're killing the line.

    So we turn to the easiest targets available: One another!
    Nope. I criticize things all the time. I say I like things all the time. I have never been called either of those names.

    The key is to not be so blind (or stubborn) that you won't recognize that both happen. Don't take it personally when someone likes something you dislike. Don't take it personally when someone dislikes something you like.

    If people would stop taking everything so blasted personally, they would enjoy themselves an awful lot more. In general, and on the internet.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

  16. #16
    Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    10,477
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeevesosiris View Post
    Has anybody seen Inception?


    I haven't actually seen it, but I know the premise behind it and know exactly what you mean.
    ____________________________________________

    Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

  17. #17
    Heroic Warrior Ridureyu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosed Ovor View Post
    That's an amazing talent you have there. I'm glad all of us evil warriors can count on you!
    So that's why preacher told me He-Man was bad!

  18. #18
    Heroic Warrior AdultCollector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,717
    I would like forum members to have the ability to hide threads from their view, or have entire threads automatically hidden when the thread's creator is being ignored by the forum member.

  19. #19
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by ibentmyman-thing View Post
    i never meta thread i didn't like first then hate then grow accustomed to.
    I love you man!

  20. #20
    Heroic Warrior No-Ah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,324
    Quote Originally Posted by AdultCollector View Post
    I would like forum members to have the ability to hide threads from their view, or have entire threads automatically hidden when the thread's creator is being ignored by the forum member.
    And how does that attitude help free Etheria from the clutches of the Horde?
    Top want list: Evil Seed, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200x Beast-Man, Teela 2.0, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

    Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

  21. #21
    Heroic Warrior Skeledor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    It seems that Masters of the Universe fans no longer talk about He-Man or She-Ra or Plundor. No one criticizes Matty anymore or questions Toy Guru's decisions. No one defends them either.

    All we ever do anymore is talk about talking about the Masters of the Universe. We talk about negative posts, vague nebulous posts which are never even quoted. We talk about positive posts. We talk about loving and hating our figures, but do we ever find the time to actually love or hate the figures themselves anymore?

    How can we stop talking about vague and poorly defined ideas like positivity, negativity, criticism, and apologies? How can we end the meta-conversation and actually begin debating actual figures and characters again?


    My tongue is in my cheek above. But if we're only talking about talking, that's the surest sign of death for the line. It suggests a lack of interest in the actual product in favor of being more interested in simply arguing.....
    And for those who want to interrupt what debate does occur on the substance of these figures, you should know that you're shifting the interest from the figures themselves.
    I like your post. The reason I think that a lot of discussion gets taken away from the very reason we are all here (all things MOTU) is because there is a little burnout with the current line. The line has been going on for years and while I love collecting every figure they put out it just seems to me there is burnout for everyone involved including Scott and Mattel and maybe even the 4H. I think of it this way: I love the movie Rocky but with every sequel it gets a little bit more cheap and the depth isn't there and before you know it you have a shell of something that was great but over time has been reduced to just a name to make some money. I believe Scott loves this line with all his heart but his bosses probably don't share his enthusiasm couple that with trying to create and keep this line going while everyone is putting everything you do and say under a microscope and I think even he gets to the point of saying " is this really worth it". I do feel sorry for the guy at times and I am not excusing his moments of "What the hell were you thinking?" and we all know those are well documented but between deadlines,bosses,outraged fans and trying to keep this line going it has to take a toll on everyone involved...hell it takes a toll on me and I just collect the things. I think everyone knows this line is coming to and end and tensions are high on all fronts because there is that fear of "what now" and everyone wants to blame everyone else when there really isn't anyone to blame...its just life guys...it changes and goes on and the same is for all things even MOTU...it will always be here in some form or another and I for one am going to stop blaming everyone and hating everyone and enjoy this line for as long as we have it, I mean i'm still going to expect nothing but the best for every figure and raise hell when it doesn't meet that standard but Im also going to try and take some advice from some fellow org members and when it gets too heated just step away from the keyboard and cool off. The one thing I have always liked about the org is that we can voice our joy and anger on the boards and it gives us a place to be heard and I think that needs to continue but I agree that the name calling and hurtful things need to stop. I myself had to own up to my own childish behavior and apologize to members of this community because my "passion" had overridden my brain. I don't know if this answered your question or not but it's my take on it and I think MOTU will be just fine and in closing I just want to say to everyone that I may not agree with all of you but I do respect your right to say and like or hate something and that must never change because we are all He-Man.org.
    Good Journey.

  22. #22
    Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Painesville, Ohio
    Posts
    15,017
    How can we stop the meta-threads? IMO It is simple; we can talk TO each other instead of AT one another. We can quote users and address a particular concern when it is expressed instead of making blanket statements not directed at anyone in particular. We can address issues at hand and not make up problems. We have enough problems without adding to them! Above all else, less talking and more listening would help everybody IMO, my self included.

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    Nope. I criticize things all the time. I say I like things all the time. I have never been called either of those names.

    The key is to not be so blind (or stubborn) that you won't recognize that both happen. Don't take it personally when someone likes something you dislike. Don't take it personally when someone dislikes something you like.

    If people would stop taking everything so blasted personally, they would enjoy themselves an awful lot more. In general, and on the internet.
    I completely agree with you although IDK what people call me

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeevesosiris View Post
    Has anybody seen Inception?


    Twice in one week I'm Shirley. (which IMO it totes iconic, because I usually feel like the son of Abed and Britta...)

    Quote Originally Posted by AdultCollector View Post
    I would like forum members to have the ability to hide threads from their view, or have entire threads automatically hidden when the thread's creator is being ignored by the forum member.
    not sure if serious? (but then...I guess none of us are anymore...)

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibentmyman-thing View Post
    I never meta thread I didn't like first then hate then grow accustomed to.
    I read every single one of you posts...I always have you are always worth it!

    Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    There needs to be a Rants and Raves separate board so people can vent.
    (read after next quote)

    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I remember when the Bayformers movie forums did that. Fun times.
    Does anyone say to an reasonable person "C'mon, be reasonable"?

    I wish people could tell the difference between "i am frustrated and feel the need to vent" and "I feel like having a discussion" because IRL people seams to be able to better discern between these two things.
    Last edited by LORD FALLEN ELDOR; May 8, 2014 at 09:15pm.
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

    'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

  23. #23
    Heroic Warrior No-Ah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,324
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD FALLEN ELDOR View Post
    How can we stop the meta-threads? IMO It is simple; we can talk TO each other instead of AT one another. We can quote users and address a particular concern when it is expressed instead of making blanket statements not directed at anyone in particular. We can address issues at hand and not make up problems. We have enough problems without adding to them! Above all else, less talking and more listening would help everybody IMO, my self included.
    Excellent comment. I saw a few posters complaining on another thread recently that no one was replying to their posts. That's not engaging, that's just talking to hear yourself talk.

    Emotions are always high on a line we all first enjoyed when we 8ish, and engaging with the product does often regress us a bit. But if we actually talk and engage, then it may very well help avoid these vague general indictments of vast swaths of the fanbase and lead to some actual communication.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Skeledor View Post
    I like your post. The reason I think that a lot of discussion gets taken away from the very reason we are all here (all things MOTU) is because there is a little burnout with the current line. The line has been going on for years and while I love collecting every figure they put out it just seems to me there is burnout for everyone involved including Scott and Mattel and maybe even the 4H. I think of it this way: I love the movie Rocky but with every sequel it gets a little bit more cheap and the depth isn't there and before you know it you have a shell of something that was great but over time has been reduced to just a name to make some money. I believe Scott loves this line with all his heart but his bosses probably don't share his enthusiasm couple that with trying to create and keep this line going while everyone is putting everything you do and say under a microscope and I think even he gets to the point of saying " is this really worth it". I do feel sorry for the guy at times and I am not excusing his moments of "What the hell were you thinking?" and we all know those are well documented but between deadlines,bosses,outraged fans and trying to keep this line going it has to take a toll on everyone involved...hell it takes a toll on me and I just collect the things. I think everyone knows this line is coming to and end and tensions are high on all fronts because there is that fear of "what now" and everyone wants to blame everyone else when there really isn't anyone to blame...its just life guys...it changes and goes on and the same is for all things even MOTU...it will always be here in some form or another and I for one am going to stop blaming everyone and hating everyone and enjoy this line for as long as we have it, I mean i'm still going to expect nothing but the best for every figure and raise hell when it doesn't meet that standard but Im also going to try and take some advice from some fellow org members and when it gets too heated just step away from the keyboard and cool off. The one thing I have always liked about the org is that we can voice our joy and anger on the boards and it gives us a place to be heard and I think that needs to continue but I agree that the name calling and hurtful things need to stop. I myself had to own up to my own childish behavior and apologize to members of this community because my "passion" had overridden my brain. I don't know if this answered your question or not but it's my take on it and I think MOTU will be just fine and in closing I just want to say to everyone that I may not agree with all of you but I do respect your right to say and like or hate something and that must never change because we are all He-Man.org.
    Good Journey.
    You may be right. The line is a little long in the tooth. The A, B, and C list figures have all already been made.
    Top want list: Evil Seed, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200x Beast-Man, Teela 2.0, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

    Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

  24. #24
    Heroic Warrior SpiritOfTeela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,019
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    Nope. I criticize things all the time. I say I like things all the time. I have never been called either of those names.

    The key is to not be so blind (or stubborn) that you won't recognize that both happen. Don't take it personally when someone likes something you dislike. Don't take it personally when someone dislikes something you like.

    If people would stop taking everything so blasted personally, they would enjoy themselves an awful lot more. In general, and on the internet.
    BRAVO!

    I do think sometimes folks that are constantly offended need to look inside themselves instead of always putting it on everyone else. If you are someone who is offended often, the issue may not be those that are offending you - it may be you. We spend so much time (not just here, in general) in catering to every special snowflake and their personal little sensibilities.

    That said, I don't offend easily whatsoever - much less enough to speak up about it - but I have been kind of offended this last day or so. Unfortunately, the OpEd seems to have just emboldened folks to complain about complaining - just look at the SDCC thread. You have folks very respectfully disagreeing with the choice to make a SDCC-exclusive item all of a sudden after all this time, and post after post of folks with terrible, nasty tone, calling folks names, and simply making stuff up that no one ever said - all in the name of complaining, about folks bringing up an issue. And it just sits there until folks who were just trying to make a civil point like myself just bowed out. It seems it's now open season for folks to be righteous and antagonistic.

    I'm glad they finally locked the other thread, it ran it's course, rocky as it was - and of course, here we are, complaining ourselves - look I just did it LOL - but it's really clear to me that a jackhammer has just been used to divide the community. I don't even really want to click submit on this post. .ORG isn't the only game in town any more, and I think that the genie has been let out of the bottle. I'm really not sure there is any way to corral the "meta" discussion now that's it has been forcefully put front and center. I wish I had a constructive suggestion as to what to do - but I don't, I really don't.

  25. #25
    Heroic Warrior No-Ah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,324
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritOfTeela View Post
    BRAVO!

    I do think sometimes folks that are constantly offended need to look inside themselves instead of always putting it on everyone else. If you are someone who is offended often, the issue may not be those that are offending you - it may be you. We spend so much time (not just here, in general) in catering to every special snowflake and their personal little sensibilities.

    That said, I don't offend easily whatsoever - much less enough to speak up about it - but I have been kind of offended this last day or so. Unfortunately, the OpEd seems to have just emboldened folks to complain about complaining - just look at the SDCC thread. You have folks very respectfully disagreeing with the choice to make a SDCC-exclusive item all of a sudden after all this time, and post after post of folks with terrible, nasty tone, calling folks names, and simply making stuff up that no one ever said - all in the name of complaining, about folks bringing up an issue. And it just sits there until folks who were just trying to make a civil point like myself just bowed out. It seems it's now open season for folks to be righteous and antagonistic.

    I'm glad they finally locked the other thread, it ran it's course, rocky as it was - and of course, here we are, complaining ourselves - look I just did it LOL - but it's really clear to me that a jackhammer has just been used to divide the community. I don't even really want to click submit on this post. .ORG isn't the only game in town any more, and I think that the genie has been let out of the bottle. I'm really not sure there is any way to corral the "meta" discussion now that's it has been forcefully put front and center. I wish I had a constructive suggestion as to what to do - but I don't, I really don't.
    When a collector loves a line very much.... and people criticize that line, it can hurt. And its worse when the criticisms are valid and there is no counter-argument.
    Top want list: Evil Seed, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200x Beast-Man, Teela 2.0, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

    Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •