Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Extendar Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    Given the choice, I think sacrificing the articulation in favour of the extending action is the way to go.
    I dont' see why they would have to do that. The original toy had some articulation and the extending action. The only articulation that could possibly get in the way is the ab crunch, which to be honest, I don't mind if it was sacrificed if it means we get him earlier.
    Got Fur

I want a Glimmer by the end of 2012 and Extendar by 2013!
    Other Wants:
    MotU: Rokkon, Stonedar, Dragstor, Modulok, Multi-bot, Horde Trooper, DB Skeletor
    PoP: Peekablue, Madam Razz, Lighthope, Kowl
    NA: Quakke, Sagitarr
    MYP: Hawk, Queen Andreenos, Lord Dactys
    Mini-Comics: Kex Queen, Tug-of-War Yellow Warrior, King Hiss' Slave Girl

Heroic Warrior
    Extendar's "action feature" didn't have any mechanical part whatsoever. It is a pretty BASIC feature.

I couldn't accept it if Mattel wouldn't even allow Extendar to extend !

Snap-on parts could be a bonus, but still, Extendar MUST be able to extend !

Now, I hope they improve the sculpt and the paint job... The original Extendar was really "color-limited", and his color app was extremely basic. I hope the torso won't be looking as "fat" as in the 1980's.

Did you notice that all the figures with unique bodies AND action features are missing so far ?

The lack of "action feature" might be a big disappointment for some characters... It is really hard for me to imagine a Man-E-Faces without the face-changing knob on his head, or a Tung Lashor without a tongue that can stick out and get back inside his mouth/body...

I hope Mattel's plan is not to disrupt the line by the time all the "easy-to-make" figures are out... it's actually one of my biggest fears regarding MOTUC.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    Trap-Jaw is coming with a new head and arm to make Kronis. Mekanek will be released with a neck extension instead of a different head. Why not make Extendar with extra set of extended limbs and neck? He didn't come with weapons. Just a shield.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Quote Originally Posted by bskcase View Post
    Why not make Extendar with extra set of extended limbs and neck?
    It might be better to have "extensions" instead of an extra set of limbs and neck. I was just thinking that if the 4HM is clever, they might even be able to retain the ab crunch articulation with Extendar while enabling the torso to "extend".
    Got Fur

Other Wants:
    MotU: Rokkon, Stonedar, Dragstor, Modulok, Multi-bot, Horde Trooper, DB Skeletor

Quote Originally Posted by Novelty View Post
    I dont' see why they would have to do that. The original toy had some articulation and the extending action. The only articulation that could possibly get in the way is the ab crunch, which to be honest, I don't mind if it was sacrificed if it means we get him earlier.
    That's what I meant. Just lose the ab crunch, but not the other joints.

Although it might actually be possible to have joints on the extended parts. That way his torso and limbs would be less articulated in his regular form, but would move fully in his extended form.
    Last edited by RocketPunch; December 2, 2009 at 12:55pm.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    That way his torso and limbs would be less articulated in his regular form, but would move fully in his extended form.
    I'm not sure the articulation fans would go for that, but I'll happily settle for it. It will however cost a lot in tooling costs to do that though.
    Got Fur

Other Wants:

Heroic Master of Tugging CarKrash's Avatar
    just adding to the "chatter" Extendar is cool.. And with everyone saying 3-4 years down the line.. remember Mattel did say something about mixing in figures that need new sculpts with figures that can be re-tooled which is better financially for Mattel. If we all keep assuming new sculpts will come out 4 years down the road.. then in 4 years... each figure's going to be the left-over "we need to make a new sculpt for that one" which is when price goes up and sales go down.. So.. let 'em mix in your extendar, ram man etc early.. Since we didn't get an Extendar in 200X.. I'd be more than excited to add him to the collection.. no matter how he extends..

Yeah, hopefully we see Extendar sooner rather than later. Yes, I know he's a unique sculpt, but Mattel is probably making enough money from the figs to justify him now.
    Got Fur

Other Wants:

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bskcase View Post
    Trap-Jaw is coming with a new head and arm to make Kronis.
    This makes me wonder about exactly how Trappy will be tooled.

Obviously, no figure so far features removable limbs, so either the torso or the arm itself probably has to be specifically keyed to be able to go on and off.

Trappy is a huge fan favorite and will sell like crazy (not to mention he'll give MEF his legs, and so on) so it's no surprise they would make such a big investment here.

But I doubt they'll look to go "all out" on someone like Extendar.
    I'd love to be pleasantly surprised though!

Really what I was thinking about with the waist extension is that I was trying to devise a way in my mind for Extendar to maybe reuse the basic He-Man buck and just have removable armor that goes on top.

But if you have to retool the waist joint to be able to be removable, then the waist/crotch parts and the torso parts BOTH would probably have to be new and exclusive to Extendar, so then at that point you might as well sculpt a brand-new Extendar-specific torso.

So that would pretty much be a 100% brand-new figure who maybe could lend his hands, feet, shoulders/arms and upper legs to someone else, but still a VERY expensive figure.

Hmm, how would guys feel about "fudging" slightly the specifics of each one to be able to make a Horde Trooper/Extendar combo?

If we use the "snap-on extender pieces" idea, then the HT could actually be pulled apart at the waist to simulate battle damage.
    That would be kind of cool, no?

HT could have a removable armor type piece that would slip over the Extendar torso buck, and then a few other new parts more HT-specific.

i would prefer snap on attachments to extend his arms legs waist and neck. i just never liked the look of the "stilts" that he would stand on as a kid, and it would surely bother me now as a collector. but i would def. need him to extend in some form. if stilts were all we could get vs. no extending, then id choose the stilt look, even if it DID make him look vulnerable. mechanek is the same way, he always looked awkward twisted sideways to have his head above the others. im glad mech is gettin an attachment, and id hope the same for extendar. and HOPEFULLY if they are done right, i could buy several of each character to extend further then a single package would allow
    www.nywcwrestling.com - Best Independent Wrestling on Long Island!

Want:
    SDCC Filmation Hordak w/ Imp and Treasure Chest Imp

Have:
    Goat Man, Loo-kee, and Kowl

I want meteorbs dang nabbit!!!

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    I don't want to come on to this thread as a "hater", but in nice terms, let's just say that there are many other characters that I would like to see get the Classics makeover before Extendar. He's not exactly the most... charismatic or notable character from the vintage line, let's face it.

But, to be constructive... I think if / when he sees the light of day, I really think that snap-on parts are the only likely way forward. As much as we might want it to be, this just isn't an action feature-orientated line. If Mekaneck doesn't get a "working" neck, then I think that ol' Extendar ain't likely to extend without aid of snap-on parts.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

The difference in my opinion between Mekaneck and Extendar are the original Mekaneck had a mechanical action feature (twist waist and neck rises) which required the torso/neck to be re-moulded.

Clearly in the MOTUClassics it is going to be cheaper for Mattel to just use the standard He-Man buck torso with snap on neck extensions for Mekaneck - the only new tooling will be for the neck extensions and head, plus also the Club weapon and armor which can be shared with Stinkor. It is sad his neck will not extend but understandable given what we've been told about this line and action features.

Extendar's stretching on the other hand was not mechanical, it came from the moulding of his limbs. As a 100% uniquely moulded figure it seems to me that it should cost Mattel the same to mould him with extensions built in as per the original as it would to mould a body and then create separate snap on stilts for neck, torso, arms and legs.

Heroic Warrior
    I could swear that I read somewhere that Extendar's feature wasn't considered an "action" feature, so it would be included with the figure itself.
    I can't find it now, but I'm almost positive that was what I read.
    ...unless I misunderstood what was being posted.
    The power of Grayskull compels you!

My daughter's Hebrew name is Shira.

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Spacedust;2271769]I don't want to come on to this thread as a "hater", but in nice terms, let's just say that there are many other characters that I would like to see get the Classics makeover before Extendar. He's not exactly the most... charismatic or notable character from the vintage line, let's face it.
    QUOTE]

This is probably true, but as an loyal Extendar fan I'd like to say that WAY more people had this guy than King Randor, Scare Glow, King Grayskull or He-Ro (The second two because they didn't exist), plus 4H have definately expressed a desire to visit characters not done in 200x, so I think we might actually have a better shot than might be immediately obvious.

We know Mattel wants to make every figure in the line. We also know there are a number of characters with unique body sculpts. We also know Mattel will be adding those unique body sculpts throughout the line (and not reserving them for the end). So here's hoping Extendar will be "sooner" rather than "later".

However, Ram Man, which is probably more popular than Extendar, also requires a unique sculpt and Mattel has said something along the lines that he won't be made soon.

My main worry is that if Mattel reserve these unique sculpts for "later", then the line might be cancelled off before we get to these figures. Hopefully we'll get Extendar this time around!
    Got Fur

Other Wants:

We know Mattel wants to make every figure in the line. We also know there are a number of characters with unique body sculpts. We also know Mattel will be adding those unique body sculpts throughout the line (and not reserving them for the end). So here's hoping Extendar will be "sooner" rather than "later".

However, Ram Man, which is probably more popular than Extendar, also requires a unique sculpt and Mattel has said something along the lines that he won't be made soon.

My main worry is that if Mattel reserve these unique sculpts for "later", then the line might be cancelled off before we get to these figures. Hopefully we'll get Extendar this time around!
    Well preferences aside, if the line is abruptly cancelled there will be
    plenty of figures/characters that many will not have, especially since so few
    characters utilize unique sculpts in comparison to the standard ones. I think Extendar
    would be the last on many peoples list. I can also see Rammy getting
    here in a timely manner 2011 perhaps considering the fact that Mattel
    seems to be churning out new tools on a pretty consistent basis.
    Last edited by Azrael; December 5, 2009 at 03:21am.

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar
    Maybe we can convince Mattel that Extendar is a DC character. Then they'll happily pay for the new tooling and won't apparently mind to have it sit on matty unsold for ages for whatever reason.

Ideally I think they should use interchangeable limbs-- it would require some retooling of existing bucks for easy limb removal, but it's easier than keep the original gimmick.

While I'm not exactly an Extendar fan boy, I would love to see him in the line because of how unique he is (plus he didn't get a 200X resurrection, right?), even if that's at the sacrifice of a gimmick.

Widget
    I'll buy him either way. He's one of the figures I'm really looking forward to.

I really don't care if we get interchangable or extendible limbs. I just want Extendar to be made before the line is cancelled.
    Got Fur

Other Wants:

I really don't care if we get interchangable or extendible limbs. I just want Extendar to be made before the line is cancelled.
    How about being a tad bit more optimistic novelty
    Instead of cancel, how about concludes?
    But why such a love for Extendar Novelty? just curious,
    as he's also on my top 10 most wanted MOTUC.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    How about being a tad bit more optimistic novelty
    Instead of cancel, how about concludes?
    Cancelled, concludes, it doesn't matter, that's just semantics. If Mattel treats this line properly, and only release one or two figures a month, it would take decades for all the figures to be made, possibly a lifetime! It would take about 2-3 years to just release the current PoP figures that they have rights to (and maybe another 2-3 years to the filmation characters). NA will probably take 3-4 years. 200x maybe 5 years or so, including all the variants and army builders. Hence it's more likely to get cancelled before it concludes.
    Got Fur

Other Wants:

Cancelled, concludes, it doesn't matter, that's just semantics. If Mattel treats this line properly, and only release one or two figures a month, it would take decades for all the figures to be made, possibly a lifetime! It would take about 2-3 years to just release the current PoP figures that they have rights to (and maybe another 2-3 years to the filmation characters). NA will probably take 3-4 years. 200x maybe 5 years or so, including all the variants and army builders. Hence it's more likely to get cancelled before it concludes.
    I'm quite happy with the current release schedule, as I don't think I can afford more than 2-3 figures a month, especially if vehicles & playsets were added to the mix.

I don't see this line ending anytime soon. As long as people keep buying it could continue for long time.

If it takes 10+ years to get all the characters then so be it. I've been collecting Star Wars since '95 and haven't stopped yet. I love MOTU way more.

It was just passing remark, I was far more interested in why
    you hold Extendar in such a high regard, and you completely ignored that
    part, , but I digress. Personally I live in the now, not what may
    happen and when. Mattel doesn't have to release every POP or NA figure,
    for me, the original line will suffice, everything else is just a bonus. I'm
    not expecting it to reach Star Wars levels to which they start making
    obscure characters. The best I hope for regarding this line is a release
    of all the original characters, and main characters from POP and NA
    which could take 10 years or less depending on frequency.

Extendar, like Ram Man, is a unique sculpt. We know they've always said Ram Man won't be made for a few years, which is a blow to Ram Man fans. I'm sure all 2 of the Extendar fans would prefer to see him sooner rather than later
    Got Fur

Other Wants: