Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible 2015 vs possible 2016 MotUC: A realization

Possible 2015 vs possible 2016 MotUC: A realization

Something occurred to me over the last couple of weeks, and I'm wondering if there are others who feel the same.

There's a lot of emphasis from Matty about "finishing the vintage characters" and A-list characters from PoP/NA/other media. This "finishing" is supposed to be taking place between now and the end of 2015.

I always sub, but I've realized of late that I'm way more excited about the possibilities of a 2016 lineup and beyond than I am about whatever might be coming next year, and there's a pretty good reason.

Especially where concerns vintage figures, there just aren't many left that I care about. The only two I'm super excited about that are presumably coming in 2015 that have not been officially announced are Mermista and MultiBot. Mermista has been one of my top most wanted figures since the line began. MultiBot is just awesome, and I've always loved him and Modulok as two halves of a whole, so to speak.

Beyond those two, I'm sure there are other characters I'll enjoy having, but all the other characters that come to mind as must-haves for me would probably not show up until 2016 or later. Most of these are Filmation and/or MYP characters. Hawke, Dragoon, the Sleepers, Dark Dream, etc. There are still tons of MYP/Filmation characters that I have wanted for 30+ years. (OK, 30+ for Filmation. 12+ for MYP).

For me, personally, 2015 holds more excitement in the promise of a possible 2016 lineup than for the characters it is likely to bring us.

Am I alone in this?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure I'll like, probably even love, some of the 2015 characters, but I suspect very few are going to be characters I'm dying to get my hands on.

" … the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few … "
    " … or the one … "

{ @Lioncourt on Twitter | MastersCast | My Blog }

The most recent mini-comic's introduction of characters like RoboWoman and Lady Slither have me anticipating a 2016 that I (one year ago) was simply not even remotely interested in. I'd been of the mind that once 2015 comes and goes, my collecting days would go, too. Now I find myself interested in the He-Ro Son Of He-Man era as well as the characters that He-Man discovered on Trolla in that last mini-comic. Not to mention the likes of Lord Masque, Darius, and Tuskador- who, since losing their battles in recent fan votes, have been relegated to 2016 and beyond status. I want a Masque figure before Ninjor. Darius before Ssssqueeze. RoboWoman before Veena.
    Must-Haves in 2015: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Prahvus, Classic Toy Costume Catra Vs. Starburst She-Ra

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Well, as a PoP fan, I can't say I'm more excited about '16. There are just too many great characters that I've been waiting years for that'll be coming in '15. However, there won't be a huge drop in interest either. I'm excited about the possibilities of '16 in much the same way you describe.

Heroic Warrior
    After 2015 I'm only wanting filmation characters, filmation variants, vintage mini comic characters and tuvar and baddrah

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    Darius before Ssssqueeze. RoboWoman before Veena.
    I was with you all the way right up until this craziness Ssssqueeze is a must have way before "bearded guy in space he-man costume". And Veena - she's the female ancestor of He-Man, She-Ra and the ancestor to the Sorceress legacy all the way to the current story. She is vital to the tale being told, will look great as a figure and is totally cooler than Granita with a new head and painted gold... Seriously, I'm loving the prospect of the new guys - but there's still some of the old guys that need their props

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    I really want to finish the remaining vintage Masters of the Universe and Princess of Power in 2015, they are dear to me. Blast-Attak, Tung Lashor, Angella, Ninjor, Dragster, Peekablue, Gwildor, Rotar, Twistoid, Multi-Bot, etc... sound pretty exciting to me.

However, 2016 would be a wonderful icing on the cake. I was as much of a hater of NA as anyone here in the past, but MOTUC NA figures have all been fantastic. NA deserves it's glory in 2016. And a ton of great mini-comic, comic, concept, 200x, Filmation, vintage beasts, and vehicles that could be explored too. 2016 could be the most interesting year if the support is there.

The main thing to remember, this is our very last shot at having a Masters of the Universe line this deep. Rising costs in toy making along with a ton of other factors, now is time to push this line as far as it can possibly go.

Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    Well, as a PoP fan, I can't say I'm more excited about '16. There are just too many great characters that I've been waiting years for that'll be coming in '15. However, there won't be a huge drop in interest either. I'm excited about the possibilities of '16 in much the same way you describe.
    I don't really differentiate between MotU/PoP internally. Most of the PoP characters I've wanted are either already here, or are part of the PoP add on sub. That is also the case for MotU vintage figures as well.

Ssssqueeeeze was always just a little too far off into goofy territory for me. Ninjor and Dragstor are not to my taste whatsoever.

Most of the vintage MotU characters left I don't have strong feelings about either way.

On balance, though, I'm probably more excited for the remaining PoP overall than the remaining vintage MotU.

" … the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few … "
    " … or the one … "

{ @Lioncourt on Twitter | MastersCast | My Blog }

Heroic Horde General Canada-Man's Avatar
    As long as they are pumping these things out and have media to back them I'm game for all new characters. I'm really hoping a He-Ro II can squeeze its way in the line before the end.

I'm so excited for the future of the line. It really is looking brighter than people give it credit for.

Although I'm very excited about the possibilities of a 2016 line I try to take things year by year. Every year we're fed a bill of goods about rising costs, fans need to support every decision Mattel makes good and bad regardless and sight unseen no less, and it just becomes harder to buy (literally and figuratively) what Mattel is ramming down our throats. Yes we get great figures at the end of the day, but it feels like for our money, investment and time we should have more say up front. At present we have almost zero say... unless you count fan polls, which it's difficult to do when we're constantly told they bear little weight when it comes to the decisions made on the managerial end.

Anyway, I'm excited yes but I'm also both wary and weary of the process that gets us there.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lioncourt View Post
    I don't really differentiate between MotU/PoP internally. Most of the PoP characters I've wanted are either already here, or are part of the PoP add on sub. That is also the case for MotU vintage figures as well.

Ssssqueeeeze was always just a little too far off into goofy territory for me. Ninjor and Dragstor are not to my taste whatsoever.

Most of the vintage MotU characters left I don't have strong feelings about either way.

On balance, though, I'm probably more excited for the remaining PoP overall than the remaining vintage MotU.
    Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel. I wouldn't be heartbroken if I didn't get some of the remaining vintage Motu, but all the remaining PoP characters I desperately want. I'd rather have my least favorite remaining vintage PoP character than just about anything else.

I feel excited about 2015 and 2016 for different reasons, in different ways. On one hand, 2015 will finish the line as far as vintage POP/MOTU. That's just amazing to me. But, the possibilities present in 2016 are fun too. In some ways, 2016 will be much more unpredictable and interest, should it happen. And that's fun in a very different way.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Yes and yes...we know what 2015 holds. 2016,is full of great so many surprises! Just like pre 2014....and like a box of chocolates....you never know what you're gonna get.

I truly hope 2016 happens,honestly I have high hopes.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

New characters can only help to enrich a line, unless they're called Cyclotron or Golden Pharaoh.
    Seppuku, Ordet, Bad Day at Black Rock, Red Beard, Johnny Guitar, Children of Paradise, The Seventh Seal, I Know Where I'm Going!, Barton Fink, Point Blank, Barry Lyndon, A Nous La Liberte, Young Frankenstein, Only God Forgives, The Leopard

This is the way I feel actually... I more interested in possible 2016 characters than getting vintage stuff like Ninjor, Blast Attack, and Rotar/Twistoid. I have to step back frequently and realize that there are fans out there dying to get a Ninjor figure though. There are various reasons that people have an emotional connection to a certain vintage character and I hope they all get re-made before the line ends. So, even though I'm dying for a Hawke and Veena figure, I know Dragstor has to come first. It's like WOW, I'm getting Scorpia this month and that is AMAZING. I want everyone to have that feeling.
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

Yeah, there isn't anything vintage left that is better than C-list. Not that C-list is bad.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Question: How many 2015 figure slots will remain a mystery once we have a completed list of 2014 figures? I refer to those figures that are not helping us complete the new road map.

I can definitely relate to this topic. Don't get me wrong, I want it all but when I look at my top 10 wants only 4 out of 10 are vintage MOTU/POP that we're guaranteed to get next year. The other 6 are non vintage which means potentially being held back for 2016. To take it even further when I look at my top 35 wants only 9 are vintage MOTU/POP which means that most of the other 26 are likely to be held back for 2016 and beyond.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lioncourt View Post
    I've felt this way for awhile now. I think at this point if for some reason it turned out we could only finish either vintage MOTU or vintage POP I would choose POP.
    TOP 44 WANTS
    VINTAGE:Peekablue/Dragstor/Perfuma/Saurod
    NA:Crita/Darius/Nocturna/Sagitar/Sebrian/Tuskador/Kayo/Lizzor/
    Andros/Hoove/Quakke/Vizar/Butthead/Artilla/Spinwit/Staghorn
    TROLLA:DreeElle/Montork/Oracle/Gorpo
    FILMATION:Kittrina/Sunder/Twiggets/Masque/Dylamug/Vultak/Granita/Malektha
    200X:Veena/Miro/Hawke/Prahvus/EvilSeed/Illumina/Ceratus
    MISC:Lodar/Delora/Dare/MaskOfPowerDemons/LtAndra

Quote Originally Posted by AdultCollector View Post
    Question: How many 2015 figure slots will remain a mystery once we have a completed list of 2014 figures? I refer to those figures that are not helping us complete the new road map.
    Probably one.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by AdultCollector View Post
    Hmm. Well, let's say there are 12 monthly and 4 quarterly slots next year.

Well, there are five vintage non-variant POP characters left - Angella, Mermista, Spinerella, Peekablue and Perfuma. Now, it's possible that one or two of those will be in the POP mini-sub, so let's say POP takes 3-4 slots next year.

With vintage MOTU, we have Ssqueeze, Tung Lashor, Twistoid, Rotar, Ninjor, Gwildor, Blast Attak, Dragstor and Saurod left as non-variant characters. We know we're getting at least one of those Snake Men. So unless the Christmas item ends up being a figure (or Twistoid and Rotar are a two-pack), then it's likely we'll have 7-8 slots going to vintage MOTU.

So of the potential 16 slots for 2015, we can reasonably guess between 10 to 12 of them.

Now, of course, there are some obvious wrinkles. This doesn't include any variants. I would assume completing the variants would include Flying Fist He-man and Terror Claw Skeletor? The Laser Light variants? The dance card actually fills up pretty fast!

We also know that Mara is coming in 2015. Maybe Huntara, too.

So that leaves very few "mystery" slots at all. Maybe one or two?
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    The main thing to remember, this is our very last shot at having a Masters of the Universe line this deep. Rising costs in toy making along with a ton of other factors, now is time to push this line as far as it can possibly go.
    This is something I wish more people would keep in mind. While I hope for a movie to inject new life into the brand, the retail toys are going to only be about the top 10 characters with maybe a bone thrown in every now and again IF the line overall is healthy.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

I'm very excited about 2015, getting vintage MOTU and especially PoP completed (I'm primarily a PoP fan, and it will be an utter relief after so much uncertainty to get them completed - it too so long to really get started).

Reading this thread, I think the essential hurdle 2016 has is that of very splintered group of expectations. You have folks who want variants, and 2.0's of the "big guns", you have folks who want Filmation versions of characters, folks who want more obscure Filmation one-off characters, folks who want 200x characters/variants, vintage Mini-Comic characters, Golden Books, etc., and then some folks (and a very clear intention by Mattel to make) for newly-created "mini-comic" characters.

I think most folks pretty much accept that it's the drive for vintage characters that has driven subs to the line - they are the ones that go for the most $ resale (a particular concern for the "big guns" of subscriptions bought by BBTS, ToyWiz, and other online stores, as well as individuals who buy for resale) which drives a lot of sub sales right there. And considering we lost 75% of subscribers from 2011 to 2013, I honestly believe the saving grace of 2014 was the promise to finish vintage (and will be the only hope we have of 2015). Once that carrot is gone, it's going to be almost unspeakably difficult to get the current sub model to continue to work with such splintered expectations of what comes next.

I think the way to survive in 2016 is going to be directed mini-subs, perhaps a "Spring" and "Fall" sub model, with specific categories of figures. Another Filmation sub, a variant sub, a 2.0 sub, a "you never thought we'd make these" sub, a sub of the new SoH/MiniComic characters, etc. Maybe even more than one sub at a time. Plus, having multiple mini-subs, means multiple sub drives (and more reveals for each one), because I think it's going to be hard pressed to get folks to get "all in" for a year when there really is such a hodge-podge of more minor things to get to - on one hand, I see the excitement of the choices being "wide open" - but on the other - so open, that it will be difficult to have an inkling that there are "must haves" for any particular subscriber there, which a mini-sub setup would largely alleviate.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm excited for Sssqueeze, Ninjor, Saurod, Tung Lashor, Multibot, Mermista, Dragstor, among other vintage figures still to come. But I'm equally excited for figures that may not come by next year in Prahvus, Calix, 200X Evilseed, 200X Sorceress, 200X King Hssss, Snake Armor He-Man, Lizorr, Lord Masque, Major Header, Bubblor, Three Beast, Illumina, Dark Dream, Dragoon, among others.

So really if we get a possible 2016 I would be just as excited about it as 2015.

2016 and beyond has me hopeful and more excited than 2015, if only for the prospect of Mattel potentially going back to the all-inclusive, exciting model seen in years prior to 2014 where anything seemed possible. Truth be told, I'm over hearing about "precious slots" and tired of feeling demoralized when it comes to some of the less demanded items. My most wanted items for 2016 and beyond are: never-really-been-done-in-this-line-before variants of characters who are not considered A-List (i.e. Jewelstar, Tallstar, Starla etc.), toy variants of some of the A-List POP gals (like Glimmer, Angella etc.), and 200X-ified POP figures.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    For me 2016 is when things really get interesting and exciting. Once the vintage figures are out of the way, MOTUC will almost feel like an extension of the vintage line with brand new characters coming out one after the other with a few NA mixed in.

I hope we can make it, even if it's a stripped back lineup - 6 figures, 2 bonuses and a sub exclusive - i'll take it!
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

At the moment I'm only still subbing for completion's sake. I want those vintage figures and POP completed but could also live with the line ending now.
    What would really get me excited would be the remaining stuff from the first two or three vintage MOTU waves: Point Dread, Battle Ram, Road Ripper, Attack Track, Stridor, Night Stalker, Roton etc. I have so much more affection for these than for Multi Bot or Rotar and Twistoid.
    And also the horses! Charger, Spirit, Arrow... why haven't they re-used the horse buck yet? It makes no sense.
    Last edited by Grayskull's Heir; May 10, 2014 at 09:42am.
    Awesome sticker included!