Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Dragstor Speculation/Discussion

what about dragstor?

Dragstor was one of my favorite all time figures growing up. I recently found all my old vintage stuff and my 3 boys all loved him. They even wonder what he would look like in the classics style. since there are now action features with the classics I would hope they would still put a functional wheel in some how.

Hopefully if will be sooner than later, but being one of the last horde members, Bets are on 2015 for him. I am hoping sooner.

I really want Dragstor for this year. I don't care if he's the 35.00 holiday item, I'd pay that much as long as they give him an actual wheel. It's like Man-E-Faces having his action feature intact, it's absolutely essential to the character.
    "Peanut nostrils, happy clams."
    -Michael J. Nelson

Dragstor is definitely one of my most anticipated remaining figures. I truly hope they don't cheap out on him and actually put a moving wheel in his midsection. I'm completely fine sacrificing ab articulation for this. I would be very disappointed if they just made armor take the place of the actual wheel.
    Harken the coming of Tuskador!!
    New List of Most wanted figures: Dylamug, Quakke, Lizzor, King Miro, Granita, Sagitar, Hawke, Artilla, Hoove

I Like the idea of Dragstor coming with the ripcord whip, Also although he came with a gray crossbow, exactly like Mantenna's, the original line had a maroon crossbow which for the life on me I cant remember where it came from, but should be his replacement for his crossbow.

or a different colored crossbow.

so got a whip made out of is ripcord you think we will see the same thing with Dragstor

Quote Originally Posted by facet View Post
    so got a whip made out of is ripcord you think we will see the same thing with Dragstor
    Nice guess. It looks cool doesn't it?

Since he is the last vintage character (not from the movie) non variant of MOTU for this year, I think he was the most important , and the poorest executed, at least in my opinion.

Changes from vintage:

Torso Appears to be black instead of the same color blue as the arms and legs.
    Is this because the vintage toy can have this paint fade and show the black plastic underneath, and the horsemen/whoever only had a faded figure to work
    from? (similar to extendars green hands?) Is this a change for the better? Maybe, but it looks even worse when you consider...

Wheel belt Truss
    What is that thing? Why wasn't it just incorporated into the original red belt if it needed to be there to hold up the wheel?
    The black belt on top of the red belt looks bulky, even more bulky considering...

Thinnest thighs of any MOTUC vintage character. (not counting small buck characters) What happened here? Where is my nostalgic chunkyness?
    This throws proportions way off, especially considering the truss belt mentioned above.

Vintage crossbow? Gone?
    The pipe crossbow is cool although a little busy.

Too Vintage?

VERY soft head sculpt.
    With all of the other changes, extra truss, interesting plate details on the (too thin) thighs, pipe crossbow, the almost no update to the vintage head sticks out.

It's like a bad hybrid of a 200X version and vintage, that doesn't blend well at all together.

Out of all the reveals, this was the only one I had multiple problems with. Sending out the vintage motu characters on a whimper like this is kind of sad.
    It's not terrible, but having so many things different from vintage and the poor aesthetics (especially the chunky truss vs the spindly legs) make him fall short
    of what I was hoping for. What do the rest of you think?

Heroic Warrior
    Personally I thought Extendar and Rio Blast were the worst figures in the entire line but after seeing Dragstor there may be a new challenger to the thrown.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeledor View Post
    Personally I thought Extendar and Rio Blast were the worst figures in the entire line but after seeing Dragstor there may be a new challenger to the thrown.
    Of Course RIO was a catastrophe, but what did you not like about Extendar, the belt and boot tops?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon766 View Post
    Of Course RIO was a catastrophe, but what did you not like about Extendar, the belt and boot tops?
    Its his overall feel. He feels very light and hollow.His ankles(on mine anyway)are very loose and he can barely stand in his standard figure form so you can forget about getting him to stand when he is completely extended. I love his sculpting and from afar he looks really nice but when you pick him up I just feel disappointed in how cheap he feels.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeledor View Post
    Its his overall feel. He feels very light and hollow.His ankles(on mine anyway)are very loose and he can barely stand in his standard figure form so you can forget about getting him to stand when he is completely extended. I love his sculpting and from afar he looks really nice but when you pick him up I just feel disappointed in how cheap he feels.
    OK. I see what you mean. The engineering and final product came out sub-par for the needs of a very tall hard to balance figure. On that you are definitely right!

What I didn't like was how long and THIN his forearms are. It doesn't look right for a mans arm covered in armor to be that long and thin. Another proportion problem I have
    Last edited by darkmoon766; July 11, 2015 at 03:57pm.

Nice guess. It looks cool doesn't it?

Since he is the last vintage character (not from the movie) non variant of MOTU for this year, I think he was the most important , and the poorest executed, at least in my opinion.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-mCa1jiz8eB...GSTOR%2B01.JPG

Changes from vintage:

Torso Appears to be black instead of the same color blue as the arms and legs.
    Is this because the vintage toy can have this paint fade and show the black plastic underneath, and the horsemen/whoever only had a faded figure to work
    from? (similar to extendars green hands?) Is this a change for the better? Maybe, but it looks even worse when you consider...

http://news.toyark.com/wp-content/up...l-MOTU-011.jpg

Wheel belt Truss
    What is that thing? Why wasn't it just incorporated into the original red belt if it needed to be there to hold up the wheel?
    The black belt on top of the red belt looks bulky, even more bulky considering...

Thinnest thighs of any MOTUC vintage character. (not counting small buck characters) What happened here? Where is my nostalgic chunkyness?
    This throws proportions way off, especially considering the truss belt mentioned above.

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/generated/20...scaled_800.jpg

Vintage crossbow? Gone?
    The pipe crossbow is cool although a little busy.

Too Vintage?

VERY soft head sculpt.
    With all of the other changes, extra truss, interesting plate details on the (too thin) thighs, pipe crossbow, the almost no update to the vintage head sticks out.

It's like a bad hybrid of a 200X version and vintage, that doesn't blend well at all together.

Out of all the reveals, this was the only one I had multiple problems with. Sending out the vintage motu characters on a whimper like this is kind of sad.
    It's not terrible, but having so many things different from vintage and the poor aesthetics (especially the chunky truss vs the spindly legs) make him fall short
    of what I was hoping for. What do the rest of you think?
    Totally agree.

I realise Dragstor may not be one of the most popular characters and is right from the end of the line but I loved him when I was a kid. I spent lots of time scooting him about on the floor. I even had a nasty accident with a dog present once. I was really looking forward to this guy.

In the video Brandon says they dropped the wheel because they'd have to lose all the articulation in the torso.
    The overlay armor piece effectively stops ab articulation and the waist twist anyway.
    It would have made more sense to have had an entirely static chest with a working wheel. For Dragstor the wheel is more a point of articulation than an action feature, like Tri-klop's eye, Trap Jaw's jaw. Roboto got a new torso with no ab crunch AND moving gears, and that was purely cosmetic.
    I really don't get it at all. When you look at the figure it just doesn't visually make sense for him to have a waist twist or ab crunch but it looks like the wheel should move.
    Baffled :-/
    Last edited by Magoohan; July 13, 2015 at 08:09am. Reason: typo

Bummer about the "false" wheel. I will for sure recolor his torso blue and cut that black belt/strap
    Welcome to my Shapeways shop (Filmation inspired heads and accessories)
    http://www.shapeways.com/shops/eternalcustoms
    My facebook page:
    https://m.facebook.com/eternalcustoms
    Most Wanted MOTUC: Melaktha, Kittrina, King Helios, Colossor, Zilora, Dragoon

Quote Originally Posted by Zodac666 View Post
    Bummer about the "false" wheel. I will for sure recolor his torso blue and cut that black belt/strap
    If we make enough noise, we might be able to at least get the torso color changed. It's not till November so there is still a chance. What does everyone else say, lets hear your opinions!

Quote Originally Posted by Zodac666 View Post
    why does Buzz Saw Hordak get a special torso when figures like Dragstor and Rio Blast need them so much more?

i continue to be disappointed that my favorite MOTU, admittedly from the end of the line, continue to get short shrift.

If we make enough noise, we might be able to at least get the torso color changed. It's not till November so there is still a chance. What does everyone else say, lets hear your opinions!
    That would be so cool

There are some cool things about the figure for sure. The weapon stuff is great, I can't wait to see the crossbow on his back and the whip/ripcord looks vicious.

But the main figure is so watered down.
    No love for Dragstor it seems.
    Not even cosmetically faithful to the original.
    Maybe the colour of the torso is an oversight rather than a confusing design choice. It's definitely not an improvement.
    I loved the blue body colour the original had going on, it looked like a racing suit.

I'm trying to resist saying this but I don't think I can....

It really 'suited' him

hahahasofunny

Yes! His torso definitely needs to be BLUE..!
    Leech sucks..!

Quote Originally Posted by smaug View Post
    Yes! His torso definitely needs to be BLUE..!
    Hopefully this gets changed to be accurate

Maybe there's a good reason why it's been changed to black. If there is, I'm not seeing it and the black doesn't look as good as the original blue.

I guess that truss thing above the belt is a concession to accommodate the wheel being integrated into the armour.
    It hides the gap between the armour and the torso from the side that exposes the wheel as false.

The moving wheel would have been cool and, since this figure is the last original classics character to be done, it's natural to have wondered how the wheel would be tackled after all this time.

The old figure had the wheel action feature integrated into every aspect of it's design; it was a wheeled toy. The elbows had rests specially built in to take the wear of being constantly slid along the ground where the arms made contact. That would be a bit tricky to do in this version and there are already a lot of newly tooled parts. Putting a working wheel on this guy would have involved a bit more then just the torso being adapted and sticking a wheel in there.

The wheel being dropped really disappointed me (initially), especially when it looks like so many other figures are getting an action feature.
    Buzz Saw Hordak makes sense, though, because that torso is really the only new part there. The Laser figures action feature (totally surprised at) will look awesome on display. I think the visual spectacle is worth it there.

I understand it mightn't have costed out and, honestly, I don't think I'd ever have scooted him across the floor for fear of damaging the paint.
    As long as the wheel looks believable, i think that'd do just fine. It's not really a point of articulation as no-one would ever be able to tell how the wheel is posed. It's just a wheel. For rolling about with.

At first I thought the sculpt was too soft but at least it's accurate enough compared to the source (apart from that wrongly coloured torso).

Anyhoo, I've gone from initial disappointment to eager anticipation. I think this figure's gonna look great on display and that engine should look badass when it's got the crossbow stacked on it.

So, yeah. Match the body colour and this is a solid classics adaptation of Dragstor.

Should there be a poll for Dragstor's torso colour?

Quote Originally Posted by Magoohan View Post

Maybe there's a good reason why it's been changed to black. If there is, I'm not seeing it and the black doesn't look as good as the original blue.

I guess that truss thing above the belt is a concession to accommodate the wheel being integrated into the armour.
    It hides the gap between the armour and the torso from the side that exposes the wheel as false.

The moving wheel would have been cool and, since this figure is the last original classics character to be done, it's natural to have wondered how the wheel would be tackled after all this time.

The old figure had the wheel action feature integrated into every aspect of it's design; it was a wheeled toy. The elbows had rests specially built in to take the wear of being constantly slid along the ground where the arms made contact. That would be a bit tricky to do in this version and there are already a lot of newly tooled parts. Putting a working wheel on this guy would have involved a bit more then just the torso being adapted and sticking a wheel in there.

The wheel being dropped really disappointed me (initially), especially when it looks like so many other figures are getting an action feature.
    Buzz Saw Hordak makes sense, though, because that torso is really the only new part there. The Laser figures action feature (totally surprised at) will look awesome on display. I think the visual spectacle is worth it there.

I understand it mightn't have costed out and, honestly, I don't think I'd ever have scooted him across the floor for fear of damaging the paint.
    As long as the wheel looks believable, i think that'd do just fine. It's not really a point of articulation as no-one would ever be able to tell how the wheel is posed. It's just a wheel. For rolling about with.

At first I thought the sculpt was too soft but at least it's accurate enough compared to the source (apart from that wrongly coloured torso).

Anyhoo, I've gone from initial disappointment to eager anticipation. I think this figure's gonna look great on display and that engine should look badass when it's got the crossbow stacked on it.

So, yeah. Match the body colour and this is a solid classics adaptation of Dragstor.

Should there be a poll for Dragstor's torso colour?
    Yes please

I´m looking at Dragstor and i remember him from my childhood. I never had him but a friend of mine had and since i was more into Unicorns and mermaids anyway a living vehicle wasn´t high on my list.

That said i think he is a great looking figure and the black torso does´t bother me at all.

None of the POP figures match the colors they had as vintage figures and still they look good. We as POP fans need to trust the FOUR HORSEMEN when it comes to color choices(and designs) so i think we should trust them with Dragstor as well
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Hawke *Pebb-Liss(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Blue damn torso hell yes!!!!

As the last must have figure for me...I'm disappointed in him, to me, my custom looks better. I hoped the 4H would have worked their usual magic, but somehow mine looks better than what should have been a stellar sculpt.

And yeah, that belt looks like ass , and is not accurate. The wheel could be made to work if Mattel chose to. I mean, hell we have a one off use new hollow torso...

But the torso needs tobe blue, and that belt removed for a solid torso no armor. That head too...just too softlined and underwhelming. I feel let down by a figure I've waited for for the last 4 years. Ill buy it if they don't fix him and keephim MOSC, leaving my custom on display... But, they need to fix him.
    Recent.... Spirit of Grayskull
    Coming....
    Wanted.... NA She-Ra, Jitsu, Perfuma, Masque, Crita & Vultak
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor & the new Filmation line.

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

I think that black torso is fine, but to be fair, I would also be happy with blue.

The weapons are awesome! I don't mine the extra black strap. I can take it or leave it. Though, the extra strap would probably look out of place if the torso was blue.

The main let down is the wheel. A static chest, with a rotating wheel was the way to go. Not the best execution imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    I´m looking at Dragstor and i remember him from my childhood. I never had him but a friend of mine had and since i was more into Unicorns and mermaids anyway a living vehicle wasn´t high on my list.

That said i think he is a great looking figure and the black torso does´t bother me at all.

None of the POP figures match the colors they had as vintage figures and still they look good. We as POP fans need to trust the FOUR HORSEMEN when it comes to color choices(and designs) so i think we should trust them with Dragstor as well
    Unlike POP, Dragstor only has the figure to look like, no cartoon appearances. POP was made to look more like the cartoon with some toy details worked in. Had they done the figures in the doll aesthetics, I'd have skipped all of them except maybe Castaspella. Dragstor doesnt have anything but his figure to be based on, and a good part isn't right to that.
    Recent.... Spirit of Grayskull
    Coming....
    Wanted.... NA She-Ra, Jitsu, Perfuma, Masque, Crita & Vultak
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor & the new Filmation line.

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post

And yeah, that belt looks like ass , and is not accurate. The wheel could be made to work if Mattel chose to. I mean, hell we have a one off use new hollow torso...

Yeah, that's true.....

A one off use hollow torso already exists. That really could have got a lot more use with characters that could have benefited greatly from that (*cough* Rio Blast *cough*).
    Maybe that could have (should be) re-used that here too.
    That would surely have been a cheap way to make a working wheel here.

Generally speaking, the effective re-use of parts in this line is pretty optimal and really impressive. I think that makes it all the more jarring when it misses.
    Maybe they missed an opportunity to get the most mileage out of that hollow torso, probably should have introduced it earlier.

Maybe the way Dragstor's wheel goes though his belt would have been an issue. There still would have been room for a certain amount of artistic license and the wheel could have moved slightly up. There was some artistic license taken anyway by adding those panels above the belt to hide the gap.

I'm only just realising that when you plug the crossbow into the back you can rotate it to have the pipes up, like in the 200x concept (which looked ace). Cool!

Still though, now I'm struggling to find a good reason why a spinning wheel isn't part of this guy....
    The blue really doesn't sit right with me, either. It's just not right.
    Last edited by Magoohan; July 27, 2015 at 06:37pm.

... the black doesn't look as good as the original blue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erndogg View Post
    Yes please
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    The blue really doesn't sit right with me, either. It's just not right.
    Where were you guys 16 days ago!!! That might have been the time we needed to get them to change the paint before the production run!