Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it to late to make Filmation He-Man's lips smaller?!?!

Is it to late to make Filmation He-Man's lips smaller?!?!

I've wanted a Filmation He-Man for as long as I can remember, but when were his lips ever that big?! It looks like he had them done! I mean, just look at how plump they are!

image.jpg
    Last edited by Mern-Ra; September 1, 2015 at 02:39am.
    My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Looks fine to me.

It is hard to tell how big the male characters lips are in the cartoon as they barely drew them.

I would prefer a more relaxed look. I nade this mockup a while ago
    Welcome to my Shapeways shop (Filmation inspired heads and accessories)
    http://www.shapeways.com/shops/eternalcustoms
    My facebook page:
    https://m.facebook.com/eternalcustoms
    Most Wanted MOTUC: Melaktha, Kittrina, King Helios, Colossor, Zilora, Dragoon

How about making the whole heads smaller! I seem to be the only one who finds the heads look too big. Really makes them look off to me.

I think he looks just fine. I trust The Horsemen 100% The problem is each org member has their own personal preference, but the Horsemen watch the cartoon and take many still images to come up with the best sculpt. I like him how he was shown, I can hear John Eerwins Voice when I look at the sculpt
    Looking forward to a very bright 2016 with MOTUC Collectors Choice, He-Man and the Masters Of the Universe animated Filmation line, Thundercats & SNAKE MOUNTAIN

Quote Originally Posted by Zodac666 View Post
    I would prefer a more relaxed look. I nade this mockup a while agohttp://i561.photobucket.com/albums/s...66/heman22.jpg
    I actually think that would do the trick! Maybe it's not that they're too big, but just a bit too shapely.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    I think he looks just fine. I trust The Horsemen 100% The problem is each org member has their own personal preference
    I for sure also trust them 100%, and this is the first time I've ever made a thread like this, and it's only because this time my "personal preference" is for it to match the toon perfectly lol!

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    How about making the whole heads smaller! I seem to be the only one who finds the heads look too big. Really makes them look off to me.
    Hmm, did some quick measurements, looks like both MOTUC and HATMOTU figures are about 7.25 to 7.5 heads tall, with HATMOTU slightly more towards 7.25. So actually, given real humans tend to average around 7.5 to 8 heads tall, with more idealized or "heroic" heights tending to be over 8 heads, it would seem that even MOTUC figures were rather "big-headed", proportionally. Which I wouldn't have suspected, given their proportions are so "heroic" and herculean in other regards.

Then again, maybe my measurements are off. Maybe some others could double check them.

oh boy we are getting nitpicky. never in my life have i thought lips were too big on a figure. lol
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikor1982 View Post
    oh boy we are getting nitpicky. never in my life have i thought lips were too big on a figure. lol
    What works for 2D doesn't always work in 3D.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodac666 View Post
    I would prefer a more relaxed look. I nade this mockup a while agohttp://i561.photobucket.com/albums/s...66/heman22.jpg
    Now yes this is He-Man! If the face sculpt looked like this in the Filmation prototype, i would consider to sub, but not for the Plastic Surgery Lips with Joker's smile variant, that was presented in the SDCC. The current head is look like that came out from a He-Man's parody, instead of being an actual He-Man's face.
    Last edited by granamyr80; September 1, 2015 at 10:06am.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    I've wanted a Filmation He-Man for as long as I can remember, but when were his lips ever that big?! It looks like he had them done! I mean, just look at how plump they are!
    All the better to kiss you with, my dear!

"Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Ezactly! Welcome to the org.
    Most Wanted Kittrina, Granita, Hawke, Lady Slither, Hunga, Sagitar, Dylamug, Master Sebrian, Dree Elle, Uncle Montork, King Miro, Quakke, Butthead, Hoove, Spinwit, Nocturna, Kayo, Lizzor, Artilla, Vizar, Staghorn, Lodar, Twiggets, Drissi,Crystoll, Caz, Bubblor, Three Beast, Fang-Or, Great Black Wizard, Major Header, Ra-Jar, Red Beast, Kay-La, Red Shadow, Gladiator, Bandwidth, and Negator.

What you got against Thunder Lips He-Man? He's a classic!

...puts a new spin on the old commercial for TP He-Man: "You hear it here, but feel it there!"
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

He-Man is a bit off and I actually think Skeletor needs more of a workover too. Some of his proportions look just ever so slightly off and to me, it would see the purpose of this line should be to get it as spot on as possible, at least with the headsculpts given the body re-use, or what's the point?

Plus his purple is totally the wrong shade.

Oh and they should totally make an articulated jaw for Skeletor but I know they won't.

It's true!But this is seriously the toy I've always wanted more than ANY other, so yeah, I'm being extra picky in the hopes of making him perfect, which he almost is!!!

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    I too am waiting for this toy like the Holy grail! There's something about his face that lack a je-ne-sais-quoi of the old cartoon, but his lips are fine!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

Heroic Warrior
    Based on the mockup, I prefer the original. He has a bit of a smirk going on which he always did in the toons. The mockup makes him look too serious!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkerBoh View Post
    Based on the mockup, I prefer the original. He has a bit of a smirk going on which he always did in the toons. The mockup makes him look too serious!
    This. Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by WalkerBoh View Post
    I would prefer the middle section to look like Zodac666's mockup, but keeping the edges from the original version to retain that smirk.

BTW is there a picture of this prototype whitits face looking dead front to the camera? All pictures I have seen are angled, making it hard to make a proper comparison with stills from the show. Personally, I thing that the jaw is a bit too wide, but it could be the camera angle.

---EDIT ____

Alright, get ready for some serious nitpicking.
    These two pictures don't have the exact same angle, but they can give us an idea. Eyes and mouth are aligned, and you can see that He-man's face in the cartoon is more elongated. At first I though that what was off in the prototype was that the jaw was perhaps a bit too wide, but it's actually (maybe) an optical illusion - the face looks wider because it's shorter.

Considering this and Beastman's case, I believe that the Horsemen could benefit from a consultant that knows the Filmation designs in an out, to ensure that the scuplts on these figures are 100% accurate. Emiliano would be great for that. Busta Toons would be an excellent choice as well (he knows an off-model rendition of these characters when he sees one)
    Last edited by Merso; September 2, 2015 at 10:53am.

I think he looks fine actually. I like He-Man's trademark "smirk" and I hope the production sample looks as good as the prototypes.

Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    ... I hope the production sample looks as good as the prototypes.
    Which brings me to another thing I would love to see implemented: fully painted figures! Lets get rid of that shiny toy look from MOTUC, it would be great if Mattel started to paint their figures from head to toes (like almost all other collector lines are doing).

Also hide the elbow joints please thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jor-El View Post
    Oh and they should totally make an articulated jaw for Skeletor but I know they won't.
    An articulated jaw looks like it would be very feasible to work in and it would add SO much to the character of the figure.
    Hopefully it's something that's given serious consideration.

I like it the way it is, no need to change it.
    Harken the coming of Tuskador!!
    New List of Most wanted figures: Dylamug, Quakke, Lizzor, King Miro, Granita, Sagitar, Hawke, Artilla, Hoove, Kayo, ABC Giants

Quote Originally Posted by Merso View Post
    Which brings me to another thing I would love to see implemented: fully painted figures! Lets get rid of that shiny toy look from MOTUC, it would be great if Mattel started to paint their figures from head to toes (like almost all other collector lines are doing).

Also hide the elbow joints please thank you.
    From your lips to Sherry and Brandon's (the colorist and design team) ears! Fully painting them makes them look a lot smoother. When they are cast in the color plastic, they look too shiny. Clamp Champ looked like an eggplant to me,

Fully painting is especially essential for the females faces, as the extra paint smooths out their facial lines and angles. The only downside is that the eyes have a chance of being derpy due to the face being too smooth and mis-aligning itself in the stamper.

Fully painting is especially essential for the females faces, as the extra paint smooths out their facial lines and angles.
    A hundred times this!

The only downside is that the eyes have a chance of being derpy due to the face being too smooth and mis-aligning itself in the stamper.
    Are you sure that's the cause for that mis-aligning?

A solution for that could be... and excuse me if what I'm about to say doesn't make sense, to tampo paint the eyes?