Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brandon Sopinsky replaces Ruben Martinez on Mattel's design team for Classics

Brandon Sopinsky replaces Ruben Martinez on Mattel's design team for Classics

Big kudos to MegaGearMax for breaking this news with his question on the Ask Matty forum!

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...7/m/8271016868

From Toyguru:
    Ruben did indeed wrap up his tenure on Classics a few months back. NA Skeletor was actually his last figure and now Brandon Sopinsky, whom fans might know from his awesome work on the Matty Voltron line, has come on board. I've already seen some of his work on the 2015 line (pending sub sell in) and it is really top notch! He definately went the extra mile on the Jan figure adding clear plastic to some parts to really make the fig pop.
    This is all part of the ever cycling talent pool. Mattel always cycles its designers every few years as standard opportating procedure.
    UPDATE:

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...7/m/7281036868

When asked if Brandon worked on SDCC Exclusive Filmation Hordak and Imp, Toyguru responded:

Basically any figure shipping between May and Aug (including the SDCC items) were transition figures that both Ruben and Brandon worked on. After Aug Brandon picks up figures Ruben started and in Dec/Jan it is all Brandon. (if that helps). The change happened about 4-5 months ago.
    So Ruben and Brandon worked on the following figures together:
    Scorpia (May)
    Extendar (June)
    Battle Lion (June)
    Flogg (July)
    Double Mischief (July)
    Filmation Hordak & Imp (SDCC)
    Flutterina (August)
    New Adventures Skeletor (August)
    Madam Razz & Broom (August)

Ruben left and Brandon picked up these figures that Ruben started:
    Rio Blast (September)
    Entrapta (September)
    Eldor (Octobewr)
    Sweet Bee (October)
    Light Hope (October)

It's not clear how much if any influence Brandon had in the second set of figures. More of those figures Ruben started will arrive in our mailboxes sometime in November as well.
    Last edited by AdultCollector; April 30, 2014 at 04:53pm.

DREAMS DO COME TRUE!!!!!!

I cannot wait to see what he brings to the table. There's hope for the rest of 2014!!! I may change my mind about not subbing next year!

I may go have a Rueben sandwich, and joyously refer to it as Brandon as I put it in my mouth.

I give it three posts before somebody tries to claim that this is a bad thing

There is also a hint that the January 2015 figure has clear plastic parts. I wonder who this could be?
    Master Sebrian for MOTUC!

Heroic Warrior
    I'm not the kind of person who calls for or wishes for someone to lose their job or position, so I've been very quiet on the Ruben deal all this time. However, now that he is gone - and I do wish him all the best in his future - I'm very optimistic that a lot of the problems we've had will be curtailed. Interesting that NA Skeletor was his last figure. Perhaps his handling of it was the final straw for the 4H and Mattel?
    MOTUC Wishlist Dylamug, Songster, Evil Robot, Tuvar and Badra, Game Master, Grayskull Robot, Lizard Man, Karg, Prahvus, Skelcon(s), the new villains from He-Ro/Dare

Welcome aboard, I say!

As long as he doesn't try to put any spring-loaded legs on anything, hopefully this bodes well for the line. I wish nothing but the best for Ruben in whatever he does next, but considering NA is his farewell to us, I'm glad we have a chance at getting back to the quality design standards the line had in the beginning.

You don't mean the loosey-goosey ankles, right?

Will wonders never cease...what a positive thing. A little late for Sea Hawk, Double Trouble, or NA Skeletor, but hopefully we still get some gems before the end.

Regardless of the "artistic" differences I think many had with his choices, he clearly displayed a disdain for the customer base of this line in his few public appearances, and what was probably worst of all, he didn't come across as having any particular affection or like for the property to begin with. It looked like he begrudgingly took the position, and decided to remake the figures in a new, bulkier style that was his preference - and very clearly didn't give a crap about female/PoP figures (Double Trouble is a professional embarrassment - my guess is her words-cannot-describe-how-terrible, lazy-design was the last straw).

Hopefully 2015 will be a fitting swan song to the line and the new designer, you know, actually takes pride and care in the final figures we likely will get out of the line.

Quote Originally Posted by MsMarvel fan View Post
    I may go have a Rueben sandwich, and joyously refer to it as Brandon as I put it in my mouth.
    My favorite post this week!

Heroic Warrior
    Glimmer and Scorpia are just two more figures that will be an permanent reminder of his tenure.

I wish Brandon the best and hope he can resolve the bulky armor and droopy crotch issues. No more over stuffed bloated heroes, or droopy diaper wearing heroines.

Quote Originally Posted by PPC View Post
    Glimmer and Scorpia are just two more figures that will be an permanent reminder of his tenure.
    Scorpia?? I think she's fantastic!
    2015 MOTUC Line is ON! (Now make Tuskador PLEASE)

Hey everyone - just a friendly reminder. Please don't resort to personal attacks or name calling. Thanks!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne-klops View Post
    Scorpia?? I think she's fantastic!
    I do too for the most part, but he still didn't do the leotard piece correctly.

Great news, everybody! (Filled my Futurama reference quota for the day!)

I really hope Mr. Sopinsky reads these posts, enthusiastically welcoming him.

I ALSO hope he takes advantage of this opportunity (or, that Mattel allows him to do so). Ruben - aside from his poorly received design choices - was also regarded as a gruff personality that had a certain level of disdain for the fandom. This is the PERFECT opportunity for Brandon to come in, make a introduction video, introduce himself and some of his past work, show us his enthusiasm, and basically some openness to connect with the fanbase.

I don't know about everyone else, but that level of positivity and transparentness (and frankly, just friendliness) would go a LONG way towards ensuring my comfort level with subbing in the future.
    MELIAC in MOTUC! We need a mutant, alien, cyclops, reformed baddie, sheriff in the mix!

DRAGSTOR IS COMING SOON!

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PPC View Post
    I do too for the most part, but he still didn't do the leotard piece correctly.
    Although you're correct, I must say that I really like how her plated skirt makes her resemble a scorpion more.
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMarvel fan View Post
    I may go have a Rueben sandwich and joyously refer to it as Brandon as I put it in my mouth.
    Oh my!.....
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I never wish for someone to loose their job,but I am sure he is better at some things than others,like all of us. I wish him luck,but this gives new hope to this line.

Fitting that his last figure,NA skeletor,will also go done as the biggest disaster of the line,and my in fact be the spark that lights 2015 failing.

On the flip side,perhaps this news may give enough of a push to sub up next year. 2015 better be gold standard.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

I don't really have anything to say about Ruben's departure or Brandon's arrival. However, I really hope this is good news for Rio Blast and he won't look like Bloated Blast . Even in the proto of him, Rio looked a bit bulky, so it has me quite concerned.
    2015 MOTUC Line is ON! (Now make Tuskador PLEASE)

Noooo!!!!!!!

Who will give me more green Clawful maces?

I asked over at Matty if we can get an actual intro to Brandon, via video or something. You know, to help us get to know him and start the fan/designer relationship off on the right foot (considering where we just came from). TG responded:
    http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...7/m/9201066868

Fingers crossed! I think this is a prime opportunity to improve relations with their customers. I hope they take advantage and start it off on the right foot!
    MELIAC in MOTUC! We need a mutant, alien, cyclops, reformed baddie, sheriff in the mix!

DRAGSTOR IS COMING SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by Kreann'ot View Post
    I asked over at Matty if we can get an actual intro to Brandon, via video or something. You know, to help us get to know him and start the fan/designer relationship off on the right foot (considering where we just came from). TG responded:
    http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...7/m/9201066868

Fingers crossed! I think this is a prime opportunity to improve relations with their customers. I hope they take advantage and start it off on the right foot!
    Great idea!

I doubt Ruben was reassigned because of any notion of failure on his part - Mattel seem to move around designers quite regularly. Still, I think new blood is a positive thing and wish Ruben luck in the future.
    The Lurkiest

**Scott please make me a Staghorn**

Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, Hey, Hey, Hey...Good Bye!

Go **** up some other toyline now.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!
    The Space Mutants are missing something CRITAcal!
    Chocolate and Vanilla swiiiirl. Swur-Urrl. -Crazy Eyes

I realize some of you place the blame squarely on Ruben for past design ideas you didn't like and now you have hope for a change. I get that.

But gloating, hateful comments and tasteless jokes?... some of the comments in this thread make me ashamed to be a fan right now. I expected a lot more from members of this community.
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    And here's hoping for the return of Power-Con!

Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar
    well, good luck to ruben and welcome to brandon.

rio blast looks awesome: great way to start the new deal.