Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyguru's Unnamed One "love letter to the fans" Explanation

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

Toyguru's Unnamed One "love letter to the fans" Explanation

Now that the figure has been revealed and is on the way to subscribers, Toyguru finally explains why the Unnamed One is a love letter to the fans!

unnamed one a love letter?

I must confess I was expecting the unnamed one to be a cross between chthulu darkness from legend and the emperor from star wars.instead we got a trollan.dont get me wrong it really is a nice figure.could you explain how this is a love letter to fans?

Happy to give a few thoughts on this issue!

So for starters, I'll absolutely be upfront that one man's "love letter" is another man's "huh?". Anytime you are dealing with revealing a 30 year mystery, the build up and anticipation (as well as speculation in different fan's minds) will inevitably lead to some level of disappointment. Wolverine's origin anyone? Star Wars prequels? etc..

I remember the final episode of ST Enterprise was billed as a love letter to fans and I was sorely disappointed. Trip died in a holodeck? Whatever. But I do get where the creators were coming from and why they would call the final episode a love letter to fans.

Okay, back to the UNO.

So for starters, the idea of who the figure is and what he looked like was something that was set way back in 2009. His bio was also written back then and has not changed. Which actually debunks the whole "this is the same story as Krona from Green Lantern". That story by Geoff Johns which revealed that Krona was a fallen Guardian did not come out until 2010/2011. Before that Krona was a different character in the DC universe. The UNO backstory, while written before this new GL story, was published second. So I can see where there is an "argument", but that "argument" is just factually wrong. Additionally, the "idea" of a fallen character, be is a God like Prometheus or an angel like Satan, is a concept, much like all of MOTU, deeply rooted in mythological motifs. If anything, both Geoff and the MOTU bios are paying homage to mythic themes of a fallen character, not ripping each other off. - in fact, I remember reading the GL story revamping Krona as a fallen Guardians back in 2010/2011 and thinking "wow, this is very similar to the backstory we created last year (and as yet unpublished) for the UNO. Some fans are totally going to jump to the conclusion we ripped this off, even though it was written first!".

So with that out of the way...

Next, again back in 2009 when we decided who the UNO was and what his story was, we very directly made him an "evil Trolla" because 1: Trollans (Orko) is a VERY recognizable character to casual MOTU fans and would be instantly understood by most casual fans as a MOTU figure/character. A giant Cuthulu type beast might not be. 2: Fans already were using Gorpo (the working name for Orko) as a blue clad Trollan character online and the UNO figure payed homage to that look and name. Heck, He-Man.org, one of the large fan sites even has a "Gorpo" smily face icon that came out well before the figure did. So this was a concept fans had been using for years and incorporating it into the UNO figure was an homage to that. Hence a "love letter" if you will.

Finally, the mini comic included with UNO is just chocked full of easter eggs and surprises for long time fans. And of course the biggest thing of all is the very fact that this figure solves a 30 year mystery for fans; who is the UNO? Doing that in itself, solving the mystery finally, is a love letter to fans. We could have just as easily only done the vintage figures in MOTUC and never expanded the world like this, but by purposely including a toy of the UNO in the line up and writing a bio (back in 2009)it would help resolve 30 years of mystery and plot threads at least finally giving fans an answer they have waited for.

It may not be the answer every fans wants, but it is an answer and providing "an answer" to this mystery, whether you like it or not, is also a "love letter" to our fans. We could have just as easily never addressed this and made a much smaller toy line, but that is not what MOTUC is about! The line has always been about resolving long term plot points and connecting the dots. (Horde Prime figure, the mini comics, etc...) It pushed the brand forward and helps justify the greatest number of figures possible!

Of course, as I noted in the top, this is 100% dependent on your POV. Not every fan will see him this way and that is fine. Again, anytime you are revealing the answer to a long term mystery there will be a contingent of fans not on board with the answer. Spending 30 years *(and especially the last 12 months) wondering what this figure would look like and who he is definitely adds to the hype and raises expectations.

At the end of the day, we are really proud of this figure and honestly he has become one of the single most popular figures around the office. Everyone seems to want one! Not every fan will be 100% satisfied and we never expected to please everyone.

For what our goals were, we couldn't be prouder of this amazing figure!
    Discuss!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Well it's a nice figure, but IMO the worst sub-exclusive so far in the line. And the fact that he believed this would blow our minds really shows how he is completely out of touch with the fanbase.

Heroic Warrior
    bunco. pure and simple.

(and by the by, Krona was ALWAYS from Oa)

I think he's a great figure. I love the hell out of him. Not what I was expecting, but a very happy surprise. And he's right, the idea of a fallen god/angel is VERY old, so I think the idea of plagiarism is probably moot. As far as a love letter, I think it's right up there with "I choo choo chose you!". Totally cool.

The problem still lies in that the figure doesn't scream huge evil... the figure by itself is awesome.

The figure with its story just isn't. Sorry Scott, but I think your love letter just fell flat with most of the fan base. Making it a Cthulu like character would have been a homerun and added another creature to the lore. Too bad you missed the opportunity.

And Gorpo looks like Orko, with a purple costume and stars on his hat... he's a tour guide, not a villain.

Should we start a poll to get an idea of how this figure really played out?

Yeah, I'm glad it wasn't some Cthulhu beast. Like he said, that would have been out of place and personally, kinda boring. I see where he's comin' from. Isn't gona stop people from callin' him a liar, but hey, what are fandoms for?
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Marketing Manager at Mattel Toyguru's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by guardianmonkey View Post
    bunco. pure and simple.

(and by the by, Krona was ALWAYS from Oa)
    But not a fallen Guardian. That was new

Heroic Warrior
    The explanation seems reasonable to me. I like the idea of expanding the MOTU world.

It's times like this when I'm glad I don't know that much about Green Lantern.

I enjoyed the story. I was uncertain at first but I like how a lot of it has panned out. Plus, it's MOTUC. If anyone doesn't like it, they can still speculate on a different direction for the Unnamed One in the vintage canon.

Love the figure, since I always wanted at least one more Trollan. It's crazy that we don't have more of them considering how important they have become.

I think TG's explanation gives the series some kind of closure as we wrap things up. Remember, the line and brand ended abruptly when we were children, and we are fortunate to be able to see it through and get a complete story out of it as we wrap up...closure in a sense.

Now we have a beginning, a middle, and and end, though it's never really the end, just the end of one era.

Master of Gardening MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    I have butterflies. Lol. Haha.
    CONGRATS to the 7 Lucky Winners of my
    FREE Club Etheria Sub Figure Giveaway!!!

Double Mischief = Minor
    Madame Razz = Uncle Jake
    Entrapta = SorceressSon
    October figure = SunDevil
    November figure = Ealo
    December figure = yodafreakmaster
    Light Hope SUB EXCLUSIVE = McLaughlin2778

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Heroic Warrior Ben Solstice-Moon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by belmont View Post
    Well it's a nice figure, but IMO the worst sub-exclusive so far in the line. And the fact that he believed this would blow our minds really shows how he is completely out of touch with the fanbase.
    I disagree. It wasn't so much that, to me, it was the worst sub-exclusive... it just was a bit underwhelming. Again though, as a FIGURE, it's pretty damn cool! As far as it being the embodiment of ultimate evil...? Big things come in small packages.

I like the way it was secretly handled until shipped, (for the most part), and loved opening it and seeing it for the first time. Kudos on that one Scott.

You're right about, with such fanfare being built up, that some would find this a level of disappointment. Midichlorians anyone?

It's not supposed to be life-changing, it's supposed to be fun! Enjoy it!

Heroic Warrior Matthew L. Martin's Avatar
    This does not solve a 30-year-old mystery.

Scott pretty much admits that when he says "back in 2009 when we decided who the UNO was and what his story was." If it were to be the solution to that mystery, it would have to be based on what was intended back when they were developing the Powers of Grayskull line. As it is, this is about as much a solution as the 200X origin of Skeletor answered the question of "what happened to Keldor?" from vintage--derived from the original, and the answer for a new iteration of the MotUverse, but not 'the answer'.

Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    While I always remembered the Unnamed One reference from the mini comic when I was a kid, I never really felt like I was dying to know who he was for the last 30 years. Once the toyline died, whatever plans there originally might have been for the UNO died as well IMO. It would be one thing if there was a note of document from the POG draft that said "The Unnamed One is a evil Trollan", but I don't think there was. So this doesn't really feel like it is clearing up a mystery to me, it feels like inventing an answer. Which is fine and all, just feels different to me.

I do think the Unnamed One is a poor choice for a sub exclusive in a "All Star Year" 2014 lineup, a year when there are supposed to not be any concept figures, yet this guy is more concept than a FFM (at least they got box art). He was basically a name, and had a design created. He could have been in the 30th anniversary line. If the line ends and I don't have a character like Crita who I feel is key to the NA line, I will feel like this sub exclusive was a missed opportunity and didn't truly maximize the available slots.

Now...criticisms aside, I do like the figure. I think he looks cool. The details are great! And he does work as the Unnamed One for me. Some super powerful mega maniacal Trollan is awesome. The idea of someone snickering when they see him only to have the flesh melted off their bones by his magic blast is a great visual for me . I think he did things like create the Snake men just to cause chaos because it amuses him. Kind of a crazy Trollan Master from Doctor Who.

I do hope that the 2015 sub exclusive will be better utilized to maximize slots, but the Unamed One is a fun figure, and I am not sorry to have him.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Good answer. Making him the Unnamed one was still pretty stupid in my opinion. They should have just officially made Gorpo the sub exclusive and simply had him be an evil wizard without the UNO stuff.

Whatever though. The bios are still mostly crap but the figure is 100% awesome and that's what I care about the most.

Thanks for the answer, Toyguru.

/The Unnamed One's smiley's are my favortie smileys.

Heroic Warrior
    I accept what he says this time.I also gave mine a bit of a makeover including giving him legs.I will post soon.when I get an extra dactus I will give the helmeted head to it and say that is the form he presents as himself out in public.yes its a mumm ra ripoff but makes sense to me

Heroic Warrior

ugh......

Out of touch. This is exactly why you don't try to solve a thirty year old mystery better off to leave it be. It must just be something in the water for people involved in entertainment where they drag out a mystery for far too long that the reveal is totally lacking I.e. lost. Secondly people involved at Mattel,,,I don't know if Scott decided thus by himself or not,,,are woefully lacking in creative talent,,,I mean to have such total lack of imagination,as to think an evil trollan as the big mysterious unnamed one is the best they could dream up says so much. And finally he seems he is trying too hard to find reasons that justify it being called a love letter.

Dark Gorpo is an ok looking figure -not at all what I was expecting for the Unnamed One- but hey, I'll take it! Now can Mattel resolve the mystery of the Celestial Witch and get the Star Sisters in their toy line looks? This would push the brand forward, too.

The line has always been about resolving long term plot points and connecting the dots. (Horde Prime figure, the mini comics, etc...) It pushed the brand forward and helps justify the greatest number of figures possible!
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Squirrel that can type Lewd_Squirrel's Avatar
    I would still like to see a pre-evil Gorpo, like our mascot, one day.
    Does Galactus fart?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    But not a fallen Guardian. That was new
    well, not to be a pedant but Krona was always a Guardian, or at the very least a member of their species. he always disagreed with the majority of the race, he plunged into scientific research that was forbidden by his race, he was punished because of this, etc. the idea is still the same and the parallels are clear. your idea for Gorpo is still rooted in the same idea as Krona, as he existed for decades, regardless of however Geoff Johns has retconned it since.

there's really no reason to try and argue semantics.

…so, Scott-TOYGURU-Neitlich is aware that his "love letter" is more of a disappointment than anything else since he compares it to failures like the Star wars prequels(i actually enjoyed the second movie but at least i know it´s bad ) or Wolverine being a sick boring kid with memory issues.

If he knows those were´t great ideas why risk being compared to those not so clever ideas by chosing a trollan as an ultimate evil.

Sure there are trollan fans out there but for every trollan fan comes at least one who can't stand them. So his best chance was that at least 50% would be disappointed and most people who like the trollans do so because they bring the humor and fun into desperate moments…now this UNO looks like no fun and the helmeted head looks like a troll from the movie "Labyrinth" and again those were´t taken very seriously as well.

The figure might look nice and yes, the comics it looks nice as well but again the stories for both the figure and the comic lack more than anything if you ask me.
    *Peekablue *Mermista *Toy version Catra(red Prototype) *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Lizard-Man *Zilora *Granita *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Tung Lashor

Heroic Warrior
    I don't get all the hate on this figure as "the worst sub exclusive." It seems to be purely driven by who the character is rather than it's reality as a toy. Do these same people hate Orko?

I'm fine with the concept of the character, but those who aren't should just consider it as a toy. In that respect, it is the BEST exclusive we've gotten, or at least tied with first place with Shadow Weaver. Lots of new tooling. Lots of accessories. Visually interesting. You want a "bad" sub exclusive think Wundar or Preternia He-Man. Boring.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

*batteries not included Captain Atkin's Avatar
    I think the issue that most fans have with Gorpo being The Unnamed One is that we never imagined Gorpo being turned into a villain. For years, the He-Man.Org community had adopted Gorpo as a funny, well-intentioned mascot who answered fan's questions. He was a goofy, whimsical, sweet natured character that the fans loved. If you are going to give the fans a character they remember fondly as a "love letter", it shouldn't take away what they loved by making it an evil character with no redeeming qualities. To me, that shows a lack of understanding of the nostalgia factor that Gorpo has with the fans.

Last edited by Captain Atkin; March 26, 2014 at 02:55pm.
    "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another." --- Man-At-Arms

www.hemanworld.com

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    The figure might look nice and yes, the comics it looks nice as well but again the stories for both the figure and the comic lack more than anything if you ask me.
    dance magic dance

thanks for summing up my thoughts.

Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    I also fear that the Unnamed One will hurt the 2015 sub, because I think a lot of resellers are going to have a really hard time unloading this figure.

Hopefully, at the very least, this will be the last "fun" mystery sub exclusive we ever see.

Also, side note... why was Gorpo abandoned as the He-man.org mascot?
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!