Thread: 1st time subscription questions

Heroic Warrior

1st time subscription questions

Hi, I am thinking about getting the 200x sub. It would be my first sub I ever got. I have no idea how these work and have heard some horror stories from some people with a sub. Well I just need to know how it works. Some questions I have:

How does payments work? I see the total sub was around $180. Do you pay all up front or enter your CC number and have them deduct each time a figure is released?

How does shipping work? Do you have to pay for shipping each time?

Will I get early access to some figs in the future?

Would I be better off just buying figs here from those with multiple subs?

Any other questions/info you guys can think of that would be relevant. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by conan050 View Post
    Hi, I am thinking about getting the 200x sub. It would be my first sub I ever got. I have no idea how these work and have heard some horror stories from some people with a sub. Well I just need to know how it works. Some questions I have:

How does payments work? I see the total sub was around $180. Do you pay all up front or enter your CC number and have them deduct each time a figure is released?

Any other questions/info you guys can think of that would be relevant. Thanks!
    I'm pretty new to the process too, but here's what I can tell you.

The $182 commitment is borne out over the entire year. Buying the subscription just means that you pay $26 for the exclusive (the head pack) and they validate your credit card with that purchase.

You don't get charged again until the month that your order ships. This is dependent on whether you buy a monthly or a quarterly subscription. With a monthly sub, you will get charged around the 10th of every month for the cost of the figure that month and shipping. With a quarterly sub, you will get the previous 3 months figures all in one shipment every 3rd month.

Yes. You will get Early Access when it becomes available.
    Orko: It's like the Sorceress said: sometimes, the ones who seem the worst, need our help the most.
    He-Man: You're learning.

Your card is charged right before the figure ships although the exclusives are charged when you sign up.

You'll be charged shipping and tax each time.

Yes

That really depends on a number of things. Some sellers will hold the figures and ship out a bunch at a time to save on shipping. Or if you're a loose collector, they can open them up to save on shipping. I personally like to do the sub model with quarterly shipping. I've also purchased from sellers with multiple subs w/o any issues.

You would have to wait longer to get them from a secondary source. You might save money, or you might spend a lot more. It's hard to say! The safest, fastest, and most dependable way to do it is to buy a sub, relax, and soak in the goodness!
    Top want list: Evil Seed, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200x Beast-Man, Teela 2.0, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

Just be prepared to be a little suprised at how high the shipping charge is.

Yes, there are some horror stories but keep in mind that the amount of successful transactions that occur far outweigh the bad ones. You only hear about the bad ones because anyone with a gripe is going to post it here, there and everywhere. The other 9000 successful MOTU transactions this month you never hear about.

Your first decision is deciding on how often you want them sent. You can have them sent quarterly or monthly. If you decide to go monthly, figure plus shipping & tax will run you about $40.00 per month. They will initially bill you for the sub exclusive head pack and the first figure plus shipping. This is just a pre-authorization charge and all but $26.00 will drop off. That is the club fee and the cost of the head pack. If you go monthly they will charge your credit card on or around the 10th of each month and the figure will go out a couple of days later.

Yes. The cost depends on where the figure is going and shipping method used (FedEx or Newgistics)

Yes. Starting in July.

Maybe. Always hard to tell in a situation like this. I personally do not see many of these going for more than the original cost. I am personally debating on this scenario myself. I also have a lot of older MOTUC that I can use for trade bait plus a few well placed Ebay scores and I believe I should be able to get the set cheaper than Matty.

You will get a pre-authorization charge of $26 for head pack/sign up fee, $26 for Callix and whatever shipping/tax is (for the monthly option). However the only thing to get charged will be the $26 for the head pack, with the rest falling off your credit card after a few days. You will need enough funds on your card though to cover the $52 + shipping and tax for the pre-authorization to go through. It's basically Matty's way of making sure your card has enough available funds to pay the sub moving forward. Then starting July, you will get charge $26 + shipping/tax each month for that months figure release. So you pay for each item as it's released. Quarterly you pay for 3 months worth of figures in September and December. Some folks choose Quarterly as it's saves them a little on shipping (especially those outside the USA)

Yes. USA shipping is around $12-$14 and if you choose the monthly option your figures will ship between July - December (one figure each month plus Head Pack in August). If you go quarterly you will get the July, August, Head Pack and September figure in September. Then October, November and December figure in December. You get charged as each item (s) ships. Since you pay the $26 up front for the Head Pack, in August you will only be charged for the August figure plus shipping for both the August figure and head pack.

Yes, but this will ONLY begin when your first figure ships I believe. Monthly Sub = July. I'm not certain about quarterly, could be September?

Depends... the Head Pack is a sub exclusive, so you'd end up paying a LOT more than $26 for it from a reseller. If you plan on buying at least 4 of the 6 figures then I'd say definitely subscribe. If you want less than 4 and have no interest in the head pack, then consider buying the ones you want from Matty on sale days each month at $28 per figure.

Any other questions/info you guys can think of that would be relevant.

Yes, try to use a Credit Card that isn't about to expire before the first shipment. Also use an email address you don't plan on changing later, as Early Access is tied to the email address you originally buy your sub with and cannot be changed when it comes to logging into Early Access

Hope this helps
    Last edited by blackiecats; February 23, 2015 at 05:23pm.
    My top 10 items I'd like for 2016: 10/Stridor, 9/Granita, 8/Filmation Tung Lashor, 7/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 6/Frosta, Hordak, Mer-Man, Leech & Tri-Klops Filmation heads, 5/Filmation Teela, 4/Hunga the Harpy, 3/Filmation Evil Lyn 2/Filmation Clawful, 1/Dylamug.

I purchased two 200x subscriptions today each one is $26.00 which pays for the exclusive head pack. All Mattycollector authorized my credid card on file for was $55.25

$26.00 x 2 = $52.00 + $3.25 Sales tax for a total of $53.25
    Looking forward to the entire 2014 & 2015 line

Others answered most of your questions sufficiently, so I only wanted to chime in on this one:

There's a school of thought that says that could be smart... but the problem is, if not enough people subscribe up front - then the subscription doesn't happen at all and you can't buy the figures from anyone because they don't get made.

If the numbers that were crunched last year are to be believed - then the main Club Eternia subscription met the minimum order number by 9 more than it needed. So if just 10 other people had said "nah, I'm not gonna subscribe, I'll just buy leftovers from other people" then this years line up may not have happened at all.

If you subscribe you are helping ensure that the figures get produced. If you don't, you are hoping others do that work for you.

Everybody has their own decisions to make - but if you are in a position where you want all of the figures and you have the money to commit to 7 $26 items over the course of six months - then I say go ahead and subscribe.

One of the best parts about this sub is knowing exactly what you're getting up front. I've been cherry picking for the last 2 years but I'm gonna get this sub.

I think it's a pretty good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by PantherCult View Post
    Others answered most of your questions sufficiently, so I only wanted to chime in on this one:

There's a school of thought that says that could be smart... but the problem is, if not enough people subscribe up front - then the subscription doesn't happen at all and you can't buy the figures from anyone because they don't get made.

If the numbers that were crunched last year are to be believed - then the main Club Eternia subscription met the minimum order number by 9 more than it needed. So if just 10 other people had said "nah, I'm not gonna subscribe, I'll just buy leftovers from other people" then this years line up may not have happened at all.

If you subscribe you are helping ensure that the figures get produced. If you don't, you are hoping others do that work for you.

Everybody has their own decisions to make - but if you are in a position where you want all of the figures and you have the money to commit to 7 $26 items over the course of six months - then I say go ahead and subscribe.
    Really well put!
    Top want list: Evil Seed, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200x Beast-Man, Teela 2.0, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

Heroic Warrior
    Thanks for the info guys! Thinking I will make the plunge and get a sub!

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    One of the best parts about this sub is knowing exactly what you're getting up front. I've been cherry picking for the last 2 years but I'm gonna get this sub.

I think it's a pretty good deal.
    Yes if only they could have done that every year for every sub, full transparency gets my money nowadays.
    Strange women dressed in bird outfits guarding castles distributing swords and harnesses in no basis for a system of heroism.