Thread: Buying loose is SO no worth it.

Buying loose is SO not worth it.

So I came to MOTUC a little late. Right after Hordak sold out, I believe. The reason I didn't get into it sooner was the prices I saw on eBay... I just figured they cost $50 each new from stores. When I found out that you can buy them for $20 from Matty, then I decided to get into the line.

Of course, I couldn't buy the ones already sold out from Matty. I looked to eBay, and since I open my "collectibles", I looked for loose ones to save money.

First I bought Mer Man. His right hand didn't really swivel, but he was so cool as my first figure, I didn't mind.

Second I bought Stratos. The auction said no accessories included, and look at the picture, what you see is what you get. The figure came and didn't have his harness/jet pack... even though it was in the picture... but I guess you can call that an accessory...

Third I bought a Beast Man. His right knee doesn't bend and you can see a "rip" in the plastic from the stress of someone trying to bend his knee.

Oh, and today, I thought I'd re-pose my Mer Man, and instead of his wrist being really tight, it was super loose... and then fell off, severed cleanly at the wrist (I guess glue wore off)

So.... Yay. I saved a lot on loose figures, and I don't want any of them. I'm buying only factory sealed from now on... just to rip open the packages.

Last edited by Uninvited Ghost; September 5, 2009 at 02:12am.

Bummer........I wondered why someone would be selling the figures loose already since they are so new. Now I guess we know why!!
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

That truly sucks!

If it is any concolidation, I bought all mine from Matty and some of them have quality-issues. But, things have gotten better! I think that the newer releases have been much better on quality, although a bit sloppy on paintjobs.

So you might be in better luck, if you wait for the re-releases on the first figures.

Heidi
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

yeah thats sucks, i got some loose dcuc from a guy on ebay, and a few figures had stuck joints, and if u dont know how to unfreeze stuck joints, u will mess them up, and thats what I got, but luckily for him, they were for customs. I think alot of it is from to much paint, getting the joints stuck. then a person just trying to force the arm/leg into place.
    Good Traders: Domercon, lemure77, faker II, starbasetoys, pixel dan, son of keldor, amberbratt, jimcem99, brianatarms, coolhandmelo, gofigure, gl28141, leeman, forcehunter, general hawk7, sdilks,

the best thing that Matty can do for stop this !"$%(/) ebay sellers is limit only 2 figures per person. if you are a realy collector you will want 1 in blister and open 1. not more, only 2 figures. what is the reason to sell 10 figures to 1 collector ?

Quote Originally Posted by badmouse View Post
    what is the reason to sell 10 figures to 1 collector ?
    Some collectors want to buy extra figures as backups incase of some disaster happens. Customizers want to buy extras for customizing. Some collectors buy also figures for their friends who can't be on Mattycollector at the time of ordering or don't have credit cards. Some collectors might have more than one or two different MOTUC collections. Some collectors buy figures for themselves and for their children. Some collectors buy extras to trade, if they for example miss some other figure.

There probably are lots of other reasons for why collectors/fans buy more than just one or two of the same figure.

Mattel is only interested in making money (like every other businesses) and for them it does not matter to whom they sell their figures.

- Joni -
    "My grandfather had a saying: 'Good news can wait. Bad news will refuse to leave.'" - Commander Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5)

Admin @ The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club
    Join our community at:
    The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club

* My MOTU memories
    * My MOTU collection images

Sucks dude.

On the other side of the coin, I got a loose purple stone He-Ro off Ebay and he was just fine, came with everything, great condition.
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

Nature's Greatest Wonder Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by badmouse View Post
    the best thing that Matty can do for stop this !"$%(/) ebay sellers is limit only 2 figures per person. if you are a realy collector you will want 1 in blister and open 1. not more, only 2 figures. what is the reason to sell 10 figures to 1 collector ?
    Some people may buy extra for other reasons, such as customization purposes, or in the case of the figures with 2 different heads, sometimes people will keep 1 MOC and get 2 more to open, and display each figure with a different head (I did this with Mer-Man and MAA, and plan to with Trap-Jaw as well).

Also, as part of the Chicago Horde fan club, I've actually ordered 8 or 9 figures in one shot because I was able to be on the computer when the figure went on sale, and was adding in extra for other members who couldn't be online at that time. The most recent example of which being Tri-Klops. I ordered 9 in total, with 2 being for myself, and the rest being for other people who wanted 1 or 2. It actually kind of works out nicely because when splitting up the shipping on a per figure basis, it comes out to like $22 each. And when MAA went on sale, I wasn't sure if I could be online, so another member helped me out in the same way.

Though, I do see your point, and if the limit were lower (like around 3 or 4), it may discourage second hand sellers from buying it since the shipping would cost them more per figure, in which case the figure may stay on the website longer, and we wouldn't even need to be ordering figures for each other in this club.

However, the real problem is this. While they do limit how many figures you can put in each order, there is no limit on how many orders you can place. So, if some reseller still thinks he can make a bunch of money off of figures limited to 2 per order (even with the shipping charge), and places a bunch of orders, the end result is still the same... it just requires a little bit more work on the part of the reseller to place more orders.

In the name of the Lloyd!

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    That happened sometimes and I know the feeling.

This happens almost everytime I buy loose figures, although I`ve never had a problem trading loose figs with people, only when I buy them on ebay so I stopped that. Got a few 200X figs back in 2002/2003 that arrived with missing appendages and accessories that never bend back to it`s original shape no matter how many times you boil it. Got a Snake Crush Skeletor with a missing leg one time, funny thing is the other leg wasn`t in the package at all You can most of the time get your money back through paypal if the item is signifigantly different than what was described in the auction Try to get from members here, the marketplace is a very good place to get almost anything MOTU related

I guess I'm lucky in that I don't really have a lot of loose buying horror stories, especially given the large number of loose figures I've bought off E-Bay. The only problems I've ever had were loose hair on a DCUC Wonder Woman, and a bit or armor missing from Ares (again DCUC) leg. From the same lot actually.

Other than that, I've gotten the odd warped accessory, but usually the are easily fixed. That includes a loose MOTUC He-Man, Skeletor and Beastman.

The only "loose" figs I've bought from MOTUC have been He-Man and Stratos, and the quality on them is fine. I mean, I haven't been moving them around or anything, but they seem fine.

There's lots of commentary on the sloppy paint applications. A small imperfection is not a biggie to me. They are handpainted, right?
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

Heroic Warrior
    Not all loose figures are crap... I am currently selling
    my whole MOTUC set, they are all loose, but in great shape.

Guess it all depends on the seller.
    "White Ranger... Dino Power"

Quote Originally Posted by Dino_Ranger_White View Post

I agree. I love it when people make blanket statements based on their personal experiences. You're miffed, and you should be. You got totally robbed, and there's no one here who doesn't feel for you or doesn't wish it didn't happen to you, but you can't tell us it's not worth it for us to buy loose because of it. I had a totally AWESOME experience in buying my MOTUC purple stone He-Ro loose from Ebay. I couldn't have possibly asked for better. I also bought multitudes of vintage and 2002 figs loose that I was (and am) very happy with.

I'm not saying I never had any bad buying experiences. I have. But I've had a lot more good ones, and I wouldn't have ever had them if I had let the bad ones turn me off to buying loose altogether.
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

Even opening these figures yourself is like playing the lottery, crossing your fingers and hoping you have a good one. I have been buying 2 of each. I keep the best one and sell the other at cost. It's kind of a pain selling each month but its worth the extra hassle to increase the likelihood of getting a better figure. In some cases both figures had issues but I was able to part swap to make a good one. When I do sell the extra I am very straight forward about any issues the figure has and include pictures.

I would imagine that most of the loose figures on The Bay are probably one's that people recieved broken or messed up themselves figuring that they can sell their loose one's for the majority of the cost of a MOC one.

Yes, some carded figures have defects. Yes, some loose figures for sale have no problems whatsoever.

But I'm going to play the odds from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino_Ranger_White View Post

That's true!

I have actually had more misfortune with MOC-figures that I've bought than the loose figures that I've bought.

Personally I think it helps that I do try to avoid taking risks. I usually only buy from people with good feedback and who communicate fast. And when I do buy from people with little feedback of slow communication, I prepare myself for disappointment.

Heidi
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Heroic Classics Warrior Gerrit127's Avatar
    I have been looking on ebay for proper figs, and I decided to wait for the rerelease figures ... I only started with MAA and I already spend a fortune to get my MOC collection going ... I only have one of each so far and Tri Klops will be my first double ... can't wait to open my first MOTUC figure!!!

So my advise ... wait for the rerelease ... hopefully less dissapointment