Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bow's Boots (Styleguide/Toy Version) and Who Can Use Them!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar

Bow's Boots (Styleguide/Toy Version) and Who Can Use Them!

Someone asked who could use Bow's boots if Mattel made them, instead of giving Bow New Adventures of He-Man's boots. The answer? Lots of people.

We're talking knee to ankle ONLY.

Here's Bow's boots. Notice the triangle point top, circle near the top and the "cut" lines that circle around the boots:

Characters that can use these boots:

1) Darius: his boots are nearly identical to Bow's. The difference is the smooth strip down the middle and the circle:

http://www.planeteternia.de/grafiken...9_Cover500.jpg

2) Karatti: Main difference: 3 circles instead of 1.

3) Kayo: No circle or strip.

4) Lizorr: Similar to Bow's, but the most different. 5 circles instead of one, strapped on like shin-pads instead of boots and has a mini-triangle at the top, but still similar.

5) Nocturna: Has the similar shape and the cut lines.

6) Spinwit: Only doesn't have the cut lines.

7) Vizar: Missing skinny strip.

8) Skeletor: 2 circles instead of one, but has the shape and cuts.

9) He-Man: More of a stretch, but similar.

NA He-Man's boots, which Bow is given at the moment, is only similar to one or two other people. Bow's are similar to 9 characters.

http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/..._1260_full.jpg

I really think Bow should get Bow's boots and NOT NA He-Man's. Bow's boots have more re-use and then he will be MORE different than NA He-Man. Right now, they share the same boots, pants, bracelets and ALL will be the same colour.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Karatti & Lizor's shins look closer to the Trap-Jaw shins/boots than vintage Bow's to me.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Yuck! Seeing those close up pics makes me remember why I never collected the NA figures! Hopefully the 4HM do as good of a job adapting them to this line as they did with Optikk.

But more on point, I find it funny that you basically made an argument to use Bow's original boot design for NA He-Man instead of using NA He-Man's boot design for Bow.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kevenn View Post
    Karatti & Lizor's shins look closer to the Trap-Jaw shins/boots than vintage Bow's to me.
    Lizzor's actually might go better with Trapjaw's legs, but I don't agree with Karatti's.

Trap-Jaw's boots are round at the knee cap, have two circles on the side and kind of a "T" shape a little below the knee...then three triangle b
    umps.

Bow's are the same shape and have a circle at the top. It's just missing 2 circles going down the middle. His boots also share the "strip" down the middle. No cuts though. Very, very similar.

Here's Roboto's boots:

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    But more on point, I find it funny that you basically made an argument to use Bow's original boot design for NA He-Man instead of using NA He-Man's boot design for Bow.
    That variant of NA He-Man's boots are more like Bow's. The first version of NA He-Man has the boots they gave to MOTUC Bow.

I get the irony though.

Pictures I put links to in my first post:

Darius:

MOTUC's NA He-Man boots on Bow:

Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Eternian Historian of Art Lex_Alfa's Avatar
    Don't see enough similarities between the NA characters to share all the same legs
    Behold the gaseous stench of Skeletor's breakfast burrito!
    Robot Chicken dixit

I'm Anime Hyper-Detailed Battle_Brak's Avatar
    None of these characters boots look particularly closer to Bow's than NA He-Man's. I'd say most of them look very close to NA He-Man's while several of these don't look close to either design. Spin Wit for example looks like he'd be a good candidate for Trap Jaw boots.
    Check out my various dinosaur sculptures: http://he-man.org/forums/boards/show...re-in-progress

Wow. Seeing some of those figures makes me scared for the future of this line. Some days I regret being a completest, lol.
    END OF LINE

Quote Originally Posted by Battle_Brak View Post
    None of these characters boots look particularly closer to Bow's than NA He-Man's. I'd say most of them look very close to NA He-Man's while several of these don't look close to either design. Spin Wit for example looks like he'd be a good candidate for Trap Jaw boots.
    I very much disagree with this, but Spin-Wit's boots could be done with Trap-Jaw's...kind of. The tops are the same...but nothing else is.

NA He-Man's don't really work for many people...if anyone.

They flare out at the top like a fan and have two "V" symbols side-by-side. The middle of the boot has a giant, indented chunk out of it...and nobody but NA He-Man has that design on their boots.

Bow's real boots (80's toy and Styleguide) would be a more acceptable parts-sharing option for other figures. NA He-Man is the only one with boots like his. It doesn't make any SENSE to give Bow NA He-Man's boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    Yuck! Seeing those close up pics makes me remember why I never collected the NA figures! Hopefully the 4HM do as good of a job adapting them to this line as they did with Optikk.
    Yep, I don't think I've ever taken a good look at the NA heroes before. Wow they look terrible. Very interested to see what the Horsemen do with them (and yes, I will be buying them all)

I was dissapointed with Bow's boots at first but I've gotten over it by now. The figure has so many good qualities that the boot and wrist band reuse doesn't bother me as much.

Evil Lord Of Destruction
    Hello, well i do like his boots, and yes, they could obviously see some NA use.
    Its funny how i never really considered Bow. He was in the "other" cartoon, the one i only watched hoping Skeletor would be featured (and sometimes he was!), but seeing him in his motuc incarnation ihave to say he is not so bad, sort of bodybuilding E. Flynn...i think a motu vs dcuc pack with him against green arrow is a must sometimes in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    NA He-Man's don't really work for many people...if anyone.
    This kinda make me chuckle. You're proposing to make Bow's boots from the style guide to make them more accurate, at the same time saying the could be reused on a half a dozen NA figures to make those characters less accurate. Why is Bow's design more important than any NA characters design? Why should their fans get shafted with leftover POP pieces?

As you say, NA He-man's boots don't work for many figures- wouldn't that be and excellent reason for Bow to reuse them then? They will end up being more unique cause fewer characters will have them?

I really hope they do not release any of those NA heroes in the near future... they are horrible! The villains are really cool... hoping for Slush-Head next, Flog would be cool as well.
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    This kinda make me chuckle. You're proposing to make Bow's boots from the style guide to make them more accurate, at the same time saying the could be reused on a half a dozen NA figures to make those characters less accurate. Why is Bow's design more important than any NA characters design? Why should their fans get shafted with leftover POP pieces?

As you say, NA He-man's boots don't work for many figures- wouldn't that be and excellent reason for Bow to reuse them then? They will end up being more unique cause fewer characters will have them?
    No. Bow's boots aren't anything like the boots he currently has...and as I've said many, many times...Bow and NA He-Man will almost be identical because of this:

- Same arm bands
    - Same boots
    - Same pants
    - Same colour for all those things!

The only difference is his chest piece and head. All the MOTU 80's repaints are more unique than that! They have different colours at least.

The NA He-Man boots will probably be re-used for other, if not all, NA characters, which are nothing like the designs we see above.

Bow's boots are CLOSER to the NA designs, so it makes more sense to give Bow his own boots, because they could be re-used more accurately than the ones we currently have. Do you see what I mean?

I would like to see NA He-Man get his own boots, but they could delay him for when they have the tooling in their budget or something.

Bow NEEDS his own boots, or we're just getting NA He-Man with different accessories.

I'm Anime Hyper-Detailed Battle_Brak's Avatar
    No. Bow's boots aren't anything like the boots he currently has...and as I've said many, many times...Bow and NA He-Man will almost be identical because of this:

- Same arm bands
    - Same boots
    - Same pants

The only difference is his chest piece and head. All the MOTU 80's repaints are more unique than that! They have different colours at least.
    Well hopefully NA He-Man will have one bare arm and a different crotch piece. I also hope that NA He-Man has brown boots like later figures and toon version had, but that may be off limits.

Bow's boots are CLOSER to the NA designs, so it makes more sense to give Bow his own boots, because they could be re-used more accurately than the ones we currently have. Do you see what I mean?
    I just don't see it. Like I said before all of the above designs either look far closer to NA He-Mans boots or don't look particularly like either Bow or He-Man's boots. I mean yeah a few of the designs have some sort of dot or sigil on them, but hardly any of them have the horizontal banding and seperate middle piece like Bow has.
    Last edited by Battle_Brak; July 28, 2010 at 05:47pm.
    Check out my various dinosaur sculptures: http://he-man.org/forums/boards/show...re-in-progress

Someone asked who could use Bow's boots if Mattel made them, instead of giving Bow New Adventures of He-Man's boots. The answer? Lots of people.

We're talking knee to ankle ONLY.

Here's Bow's boots. Notice the triangle point top, circle near the top and the "cut" lines that circle around the boots:

Characters that can use these boots:

1) Darius: his boots are nearly identical to Bow's. The difference is the smooth strip down the middle and the circle:

2) Karatti: Main difference: 3 circles instead of 1.

3) Kayo: No circle or strip.

4) Lizorr: Similar to Bow's, but the most different. 5 circles instead of one, strapped on like shin-pads instead of boots and has a mini-triangle at the top, but still similar.

5) Nocturna: Has the similar shape and the cut lines.

6) Spinwit: Only doesn't have the cut lines.

7) Vizar: Missing skinny strip.

8) Skeletor: 2 circles instead of one, but has the shape and cuts.

9) He-Man: More of a stretch, but similar.

NA He-Man's boots, which Bow is given at the moment, is only similar to one or two other people. Bow's are similar to 9 characters.

Actually I couldn't disagree more. Based on your pictures of the toys, either is equally similar in my eyes, which is actually not at all. But some are somewhat similar and I'd be happy if they all shared the same boots, Bow or NA He-man. But it's NA He-man. By your own admission all those pictures are all "basically" the same. Well then so is NA He-Man, and that's what you got.

I do hope that more reasonable heads prevail (which I belive the 4H are) and that some of those characters share boots perhaps, but perhaps there will be a few more boot sculpts, as they are different by a good margin. But I'll be happy with them all having NA boots, as stated above, it it came to that.

- Same arm bands
    - Same boots
    - Same pants
    I understand that- but I personally don't think it is that big of a deal with them sharing that many parts. I have faith the Horsemen will make NA-He-man stand out, despite reusing parts.

The NA He-Man boots will probably be re-used for other, if not all, NA characters, which are nothing like the designs we see above.
    You don't know that for a fact. Looking at the NA characters, I could see the Horsemen making 2 more complete shin designs for NA. Between Bow's boots, 2 pairs of NA, Trapjaw's, and He-ro's boot, that would be enough to make all the NA character unlike each other while reusing molds. Would you be happy if the design was based on another NA characters boots similar more to Bow's and Bow shared those boot?

I see what you mean, but I am okay with the decision to use NA-He-man like boots instead. Heck, I thought he would have gotten Trapjaw's or Skeletors.

Bow NEEDS his own boots, or we're just getting NA He-Man with different accessories.
    That is you person opinion. I understand your desire for accuracy on one of you favorite characters, I really do. But I just don't see how the boots are a make or break deal on Bow. That would be like me demanding that Marzo should have gotten show accurate gauntlets or at least matching ones. Or that Carinuvus get show accurate shin guards instead of reusing He-ro's.

Are Marzo or Carnivus perfect representations? No. But they captured the essence well enough. I'm glad put the tooling into distinct chest armor, capes, and loin cloths, instead of the boots/shin guard. I feel the same way about Bow. When I look at Bow, the chest and head stand out the most, like they should. The gauntlet and shins are not same, but they are not the focus of the character. Regardless who design they follow- I like the "new" boots on Bow. These one's are a much needed update in my mind. To me, the mock up with the Style guide accurate boots made Bow more plain.

There are always going to be some sacrifice in design in the MOTUC line. This is one of them.

I think Bow's boots are fine. I think that some sacrifices have to be made because of the nature of the line. Bow's boots are like a drop in a bucket. We can't nitpick everything.
    Visit me and be my friend...I like friends...LOL

http://www.facebook.com/MisterDeeJay2KX

I understand that- but I personally don't think it is that big of a deal with them sharing that many parts. I have faith the Horsemen will make NA-He-man stand out, despite reusing parts.
    They can't though. Bow and NA He-Man are the same colours... Bow IS NA He-Man right now.

Would you be happy if the design was based on another NA characters boots similar more to Bow's and Bow shared those boot?
    Actually, yes. Yes, I would. Darius, Kayo, Karatti or Vizar's would do quite nicely.

That would be like me demanding that Marzo should have gotten show accurate gauntlets or at least matching ones.
    A lot of people were upset he got the He-Man bracelets instead of the Tri-Klops ones he was originally shown with. I, personally, think they should have stayed woth Tri-Klops'

Or that Carinuvus get show accurate shin guards instead of reusing He-ro's.
    I thought that was a good re-use, but his shin guards are painted the wrong colours! Am I the only one who sees this? It drives me crazy. They have the colours reversed. They were purple with gold details in the toon. They made them gold with purple details. What's up with that?!

Regardless who design they follow- I like the "new" boots on Bow. These one's are a much needed update in my mind. To me, the mock up with the Style guide accurate boots made Bow more plain.

There are always going to be some sacrifice in design in the MOTUC line. This is one of them.
    So, Bow should be New Adventures of He-Man. That's a design sacrifice that we need. This is an update he needed?

Here's Emiliano's Bow design, which is fantastic. He keeps his chainmaile AND clip-on armour (which BA He-Man, Skeletor and ALL MOTUC figures get to keep). What does MOTUC Bow get? A swap out heart-to-circle which is a waste of tooling dollars for two pieces (because the heart should have been sculpted onto his chest). If they get rid of those, they can spend the money on his boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanwalker View Post
    I think Bow's boots are fine. I think that some sacrifices have to be made because of the nature of the line. Bow's boots are like a drop in a bucket. We can't nitpick everything.
    I don't think this is a nitpick, really. Wanting millions of changes is being nitpicky. Wanting him to be significantly different from NA He-Man, which he currently isn't, I don't find to be nitpicking.

Anyhow, regarding the boots...I think people are having a hard time using their imaginations, so I spent a bit of time making this image:

You realize, of course, that you're saying Bow looks too much like NA He-Man; a character that has not actually been made. I could use practically the same logic to say Bow looks too much like Catra.

Here's Emiliano's Bow design, which is fantastic. He keeps his chainmaile AND clip-on armour (which BA He-Man, Skeletor and ALL MOTUC figures get to keep). What does MOTUC Bow get? A swap out heart-to-circle which is a waste of tooling dollars for two pieces (because the heart should have been sculpted onto his chest).
    I prefer the circle to the heart, myself. So.. I disagree with you. I also think the MOTUC Bow's boots actually look better than the ones you suggest. Gives Bow a slightly more regal look.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDamien View Post
    You realize, of course, that you're saying Bow looks too much like NA He-Man; a character that has not actually been made. I could use practically the same logic to say Bow looks too much like Catra.
    Only if Bow was wearing Catra's fur gloves, black skirt with tail and silver boots.

Please refer to post #4 in this thread with the pictures of NA He-Man's toy, the magazine cover and MOTUC's Bow.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...68&postcount=4

Those are NA He-Man's boots and bracelets in the same colour. Both also wear the same pants...in the same tone of blue.

They can't though. Bow and NA He-Man are the same colours... Bow IS NA He-Man right now.

So, Bow should be New Adventures of He-Man. That's a design sacrifice that we need. This is an update he needed?
    What do you have against NA- He-man?

Again- you don't know what the new NA Heman is going to look like. You can look at the old source material, but it does not mean that his design will be followed 100%. Heck they are probable going to go crazy on the upper chest armor and accessories that the similarity will be well disguised.

Big deal- Bow shares gauntlets, boots and pants with NA He-man. Most of the characters share the same pair of fuzzy undies; that does not take away their individuality (it makes them dull and uninspired, but that is another debate ). He-man, Tri-Klops, and Randor share the same exact lower body from the belt down. Does that make Tri-Klops or Randor any less of characters because they are just fancy He-man repaints?

Here's Emiliano's Bow design, which is fantastic. He keeps his chainmaile AND clip-on armour (which BA He-Man, Skeletor and ALL MOTUC figures get to keep).

What does MOTUC Bow get? A swap out heart-to-circle which is a waste of tooling dollars for two pieces (because the heart should have been sculpted onto his chest). If they get rid of those, they can spend the money on his boots.
    It is not a waste of tooling dollars. There are plenty of who appreciate this addition so much, they are buying Bow. It is a wise change that keeps POP fans happy (by keeping the heart) and brings in those MOTU fans who are on the fence (by giving them a non threatening jewel).

Bow gets 2 heads, his Bow and Quiver, and awesome chest armor with cape. His figure marks the beginning of a new lower torso design- smooth pants version. He got as much as the average figure in the line. Personally I think people should be more upset that he didn't come with Kowl.

This is not aimed at you personally, but feel after being told time and time again that 200x hyper anime style is over and MOTUC, I feel it should be no surprise to POP fans that they are not going to get the exact Filmation/Style guide styles either. You will get design that look like those design- but the will be update to fit into the Classics style as the Horsemen see fit.

Anyway, I am done here. This back a forth is all personal opinion, and neither of us are right or wrong. I'm just very happy to have a POP figure i actually want to add to my collection.

I'm not saying Bow and NA He-Man WON'T use much of the same parts. I'm saying that it's not really fitting to complain that a toy looks too much like a different toy that hasn't even been made yet. At the least, your complaint is premature (and likely way too late to effect changes to the actual Bow toy anyway).

Personally, I think NA He-Man will still look significantly different from Bow. Totally different torso gear, belt, accessories, head, possibly a helmet. And we don't actually know for a fact that Bow's greaves will be used for NA He-Man.

Say NA He-Man's boots are painted a darker coppery colour similar to NA Battle Punching He-Man. Come to think of it - if you look at them, Battle Punching He-Man and regular NA He-Man have different boot designs. So there's no telling which the Horsemen will use. Thunder Punch NA He-Man ALSO uses different boots.

So there's three choices there. We don't actually KNOW what the figure is going to look like.

What do you have against NA- He-man?
    I love NA He-Man, I really don't have anything against him. I just want Bow and him to be different.

Big deal- Bow shares gauntlets, boots and pants with NA He-man. Most of the characters share the same pair of fuzzy undies; that does not take away their individuality (it makes them dull and uninspired, but that is another debate ). He-man, Tri-Klops, and Randor share the same exact lower body from the belt down. Does that make Tri-Klops or Randor any less of characters because they are just fancy He-man repaints?
    I know, but they're painted different colours at least. Bow and NA He-Man are the same sculpt and colours...which is trouble.

It is not a waste of tooling dollars. There are plenty of who appreciate this addition so much, they are buying Bow. It is a wise change that keeps POP fans happy (by keeping the heart) and brings in those MOTU fans who are on the fence (by giving them a non threatening jewel).
    This is not aimed at you personally, but feel after being told time and time again that 200x hyper anime style is over and MOTUC, I feel it should be no surprise to POP fans that they are not going to get the exact Filmation/Style guide styles either. You will get design that look like those design- but the will be update to fit into the Classics style as the Horsemen see fit.
    The funny thing is, he has design elements he never had in ANY form of media, which is something we haven't seen on any other MOTUC. They're either classic toy or classic toy and 200X mixed. Bow's circle, tiara, boots and arm bands are things he never had in any media. Adora and She-Ra were pulled 100% from the Styleguide/Filmation.

I'm very, very confused and concerned for the future of PoP. It's like they have a handle on MOTU...but it's like Mattel's bi-polar when it comes to the PoP figures.

We were told they would be 100% based on the toys. Then the first two are straight out of the toon. Now Bow is toy, toon and 200X elements (if he made it to 200X). So...PoP's just all over the place right now.

He had the heart in every form toy, toon, all books, etc. There are a lot of people saying Bow looks awesome, but they don't want him. So, I think the figures should be designed to please the people who will be buying and keeping them. That's just my opinion, of course.

...and so far from 200X, Optikk is 100% toy accurate with Trap-Jaw's boots that are very similar to his own. It's like Mattel/4H have a solid plan for everything in this line except for PoP. Again, my opinion on everything we've seen so far.

I love NA He-Man, I really don't have anything against him. I just want Bow and him to be different.

I know, but they're painted different colours at least. Bow and NA He-Man are the same sculpt and colours...which is trouble.

The funny thing is, he has design elements he never had in ANY form of media, which is something we haven't seen on any other MOTUC. They're either classic toy or classic toy and 200X mixed. Bow's circle, tiara, boots and arm bands are things he never had in any media. Adora and She-Ra were pulled 100% from the Styleguide/Filmation.

I'm very, very confused and concerned for the future of PoP. It's like they have a handle on MOTU...but it's like Mattel's bi-polar when it comes to the PoP figures.

We were told they would be 100% based on the toys. Then the first two are straight out of the toon. Now Bow is toy, toon and 200X elements (if he made it to 200X). So...PoP's just all over the place right now.

He had the heart in every form toy, toon, all books, etc. There are a lot of people saying Bow looks awesome, but they don't want him. So, I think the figures should be designed to please the people who will be buying and keeping them. That's just my opinion, of course.

...and so far from 200X, Optikk is 100% toy accurate with Trap-Jaw's boots that are very similar to his own. It's like Mattel/4H have a solid plan for everything in this line except for PoP. Again, my opinion on everything we've seen so far.
    The PoP figures look fine! They are not the red-headed step sister of the line. Bow is awesome and I really do feel that you are taking your personal likes/dislikes and placing it upon the PoP stuff.
    Visit me and be my friend...I like friends...LOL

http://www.facebook.com/MisterDeeJay2KX

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanwalker View Post
    The PoP figures look fine! They are not the red-headed step sister of the line. Bow is awesome and I really do feel that you are taking your personal likes/dislikes and placing it upon the PoP stuff.
    I love PoP. PoP's awesome. I love it more than MOTU. If you've seen my posts around here, I'm always the one sticking up for PoP and deflecting all the hate. I'm only collecting the MOTUC because it's all-inclusive. If this was just another line of the same figures we keep getting, like 200X, I probably wouldn't be collecting.

Regarding PoP in MOTUC, we keep getting told different things and shown different things:

November 3rd, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    9. In official MOTU licensing styleguides for the classic POP line, no mention of Filmation exists and there is only a ™ for Mattel. The designs inside are closer to the appearance of the characters on the Filmation cartoon. Does this mean those designs in the classic styleguide are possible for POP figures in the MOTUC line?
    We can’t comment too much on figures and characters we have not announced yet. The particular look of characters will be based (overall) on the look of the 1980s toy – updated. As for the POP styleguide, this is something we have reviewed internally, but the idea for all MOTUC figures is for the new toys to be modeled after their 1980s toy counterparts and not a unique look from the style guide. Although the style guide might on the surface appear to open the door to additional characters who were not made as toys in the 1980s, there are just too many legal restrictions at this moment to rock the boat like this. Much like our answer last time about being hesitant to do 1987 movie deco’d figures, for the POP line we will be sticking to just figures that were made in the 1980s. (or had prototypes made like the Tall Sisters).
    SDCC 2009

We're shown Adora straight out of the cartoon.

July 10th, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru
    If a toy had a vintage version, the colors will be based on the toy's colors. As for the exact sculpt, that will likely be a blend of the style guide and the vintage toy based on the preference of the Horsemen.
    SDCC 2010: July 24th-26th, 2010

Bow is shown with design elements he has never had in any media...in any form (circle dot for chest, tiara instead of headband/crown and mustache/bow thing around his belt buckle) as well as having parts from a New Adventures figure.

None of these things add up. They are all in contradiction to one another. This is not placing my "personal likes/dislikes and placing it upon the PoP stuff."
    Last edited by Darkspecter; July 28, 2010 at 09:56pm.