Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MOTU Pantheon of Gods?

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar

MOTU Pantheon of Gods?

In a lot of properties, there are Gods etc. Are their such in any of MOTU's different guises?

I'm aware that 200x had Serpos, but the idea of a God who is so easily controlled by one of his followers didn't sit well with me. Made me wonder why Snakemen would worship such a push over, unless the giant roc snake was just an avatar.

Any help with this matter, would e greatly appreciated
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

Now available for commissions.

Subscribe to TMNT Redesign Challenge News,
    if you want to be update to every The Technodrome Redesign Challenge.

Check my customs at Figure Realm
    Deviantart - http://gomes31.deviantart.com/
    www.facebook.com/Ulisses31Omega
    www.facebook.com/PauloGomesArt
    If you cannot convince them, confuse them. - Harry S Truman

Are we sure both of those are actually Gods?

Green Goddess / Goddess doesn't have an official bios yet.

Procrustus...is a giant...

Commissions - [TBA]

Quote Originally Posted by super-munkyboy View Post
    Are we sure both of those are actually Gods?

Green Goddess / Goddess doesn't have an official bios yet.

Procrustus...is a giant...
    Um.. her name is THE GODDESS. How much more direct can you get?

Procrustus: So because he's a giant he can't be a god? He-Man himself calls Procrustus a god in the mini comic... I guess He-Man doesn't know what he's talking about:

Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by super-munkyboy View Post
    In a lot of properties, there are Gods etc. Are their such in any of MOTU's different guises?

I'm aware that 200x had Serpos, but the idea of a God who is so easily controlled by one of his followers didn't sit well with me. Made me wonder why Snakemen would worship such a push over, unless the giant roc snake was just an avatar.

Any help with this matter, would e greatly appreciated
    But he wasn't a push over. Serpos could beat He-Man in a one on one fight. It was only with the Sorceress' help that he defeated Serpos.

Serpos is proof that all gods aren't human-like. I mean imagine the God of all Beagles being an enormous colossal dog that doesn't talk. Even Shadowfax from LOTR was basically a horse to Gandalf, despite being the Lord of all Horses.

Like Uli mentioned the other gods are Procrustus, who holds up the Earth and Teela, a nature goddess.

I like the idea of Grayskull being a God.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Montork View Post
    Um.. her name is THE GODDESS. How much more direct can you get?
    By that defintion is Teela a Goddess then? She was known as the Warrior Goddess? Am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Montork View Post
    Procrustus: So because he's a giant he can't be a god? He-Man himself calls Procrustus a god in the mini comic... I guess He-Man doesn't know what he's talking about:
    Whoa there fella, I must have missed that. Not saying that if he is a giant he can't be a God, I just thought he was just a Giant.

MegaGearMax Don't have a problem with an animal bein a God at all. My problem was that the Snakemen had such an ease of control over him, thats what I meant as a push over. Actually King Hsss had such control over him, or at least thats how it came across.
    Last edited by super-munkyboy; September 6, 2009 at 05:37pm.

Commissions - [TBA]

Teela's description was Warrior Goddess when she WAS a Warrior Goddess. At first, both Goddess Teela and Warrior Teela were really the same being. Goddess Teela was split in two by Skeletor and Warrior Teela was her other half, so technically, they were the same being. They even merged back together for a short time in the mini-comic "The Tale of Teela!" and the Goddess comments how Warrior Teela is "far more than daughter" to her and how it felt wonderful to be whole again, but she separated so Warrior Teela could be her own person. The comic ended with He-Man wondering if that would be the case or if the Goddess would merge with Teela forever one day. Being a part of The Goddess herself, yes, I'd say Warrior Teela had some latent powers in her somewhere.

Teela's figure had already been released and re-released by time FILMATION took over. I don't think she was ever re-issued again after that, so there was no need to change the package description. I'm sure if she had been re-released after the cartoon was on her description would have been changed to something along the lines of "Heroic Captain of the Royal Guard" as they changed Faker's description between his two releases (and they also changed Prince Adam's description between his initial release and his 2001 re-issue).

So at the time Teela was released, yes, she WAS literally a warrior goddess.
    Last edited by Uncle Montork; September 6, 2009 at 05:49pm.

Hmmm.

I knew about the relationship between the (Green) Goddess and Teela etc.

Yay canon. Hmm I think this is all pending which canon you follow. I was trying see if there was a line of Etherian Gods that were the same throughout the canons.

Procrustus and Serpos would work as there are no counterparts in other canons. Teela on the otherhand is a harder matter.

I thought that the earlier mini comics might have mentioned more. Maybe Mattel stayed away due to religious issues...I dunno.

Commissions - [TBA]

You hit the nail on the head.

I follow the Pre-Filmation canon first, as short as it is. It was wholly created by Mattel and was what they intended MOTU to be.

I think that in Eternia - God - is a strange word, because Serpos and Procrustus are more something like Deities or like in Greek and North mythology, Giantīs, that are Gods too but different from Jehovah omnipotent God.

I see the word God being more like in the Classical mythologies than in the modern meaning as "Omnipotent Creationist God".

God have to be read has Deity.

Recently moved to GA! Help! I need to know new people!
    They're gods but spelled with a minor "g"!

Yup, I only know of The Goddess, Teela and Procrustus. Oh, almost forgot, The Rose Goddess from the episode The Bitter Rose!

I think The Rose Goddess and The Goddess are in the same league as to Procrustus is more like in an ancient, more like a "titan" league. Older than The Goddess it seems.
    By the Power... and For the Honor of GRAYSKULL!!!
    HE-MAN and SHE-RA Rules!!!

"Frustration is only felt when one realizes there is an option!"
    - Ancient One (BeastMaster: The Series; Fifth Element)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from MAGIC!
    - Clarke's Third Law

Since Our God here on Earth created everything, I`m guessing he created Eternia, but they don`t know of the Earth religion. The gods there are much like Angels are supposed to be, secondary gods of little things. We all know who the creater is Someone needs to get a King James bible out to Eternia quick!!!

This is what I use when I want to get citations in English : http://www.biblemaximum.com/webversion/ (better with IE)

But
    We all know who the creater is
    is the best way to name the god of the 4 letters, described in that collection of ancient books, CREATER.

I donīt see the point to speak about "Real" Religion in here... the Tar Swamp is the best place for it...

Here I prefer to see how Eternia works... and Eternia was not created by that God, he must have better things to do... I believe we have the ability, as sentient beings, to create with our imagination.

If God is who make everything why does we exist?... To be his public? Well better get back to the Swamp...
    Last edited by Ulisses31; September 6, 2009 at 08:51pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulisses31 View Post
    This is what I use when I want to get citations in English : http://www.biblemaximum.com/webversion/ (better with IE)

But is the best way to name the god of the 4 letters, described in that collection of ancient books, CREATER.

I donīt see the point to speak about "Real" Religion in here... the Tar Swamp is the best place for it...

Here I prefer to see how Eternia works... and Eternia was not created by that God, he must have better things to do... I believe we have the ability, as sentient beings, to create with our imagination.

If God is who make everything why does we exist?... To be his public? Well better get back to the Swamp...
    hmmm Marlena was from Earth, Orko has been to Earth, so there must be an Earthly religion. If this is so then OUR God we worship here on Earth would still be the creater of Eternia, he created the Heavens the Earth the Stars the Planets EVERYTHING. Imagination or not whatever you are imagining has to be created somewhere along the way and guess who that was? Whether you are 2 million light years away or here, whatever tangible objects are near you are the creation of him by human hands or not so human hands, and to answer your question about why WE are here, the same reason you would buy an ant farm or raise a pet I would guess because nobody really knows why we are here. It`s devine intervention Any Gods on Eternia are secondary Gods to the CREATER! Please excuse my literal thinking!
    Last edited by adam03; September 6, 2009 at 09:18pm.

Priest to Divine Teela'na Necrono's Avatar
    I believe that the whole point of "Masters of the Universe" was that everyone was competing for the title: literally to become Master of the Universe. The movie played on this theme, the mini-comics floated around this, even filmation acknowledged that Eternia's involvement as a universal origin place in the episode with the Star Seed (season 2).

There are gods, there is no God. The Goddess has immense sway, and in my personal mythos it is her (Teela's) ascension to the status of Goddess that tore the fabric between dimesions apart and welcomed the Horde. Really, without more information, Horde Supreme could very likely be a God himself, sending out armies like missions to conquer/convert other universes. The dieties who have influenced Eternia as I see it:

The Swords of Power and Protection - inanimate divine objects whose power is accessed by their wielder, fixing them as diety.
    Serpos - Eternia's original God
    Procrustus - Another original God
    The Goddess - The woman whom by the power of the swords and agents (those to whom the sword was entrusted) saw the downfall of Serpos
    Horde Supreme - An equal to the Goddess, simply in an alternate reality

To add to that, I see the Zodacks as the equivalent of angels, very much in the way that the planets were originally viewed by the Hebrews and other middle eastern peoples - stagnant in purpose and functioning in the divine's design.

-Necrono

I actually wrote a paper for a college communication and culture course where I did a comparison between Christianity's holy trinity and Eternia's Trine Goddess: The Sorceress, Teela, and Zoar.

-Necrono
    Last edited by Necrono; September 6, 2009 at 09:29pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    hmmm Marlena was from Earth, Orko has been to Earth, so there must be an Earthly religion. If this is so then OUR God we worship here on Earth would still be the creater of Eternia, he created the Heavens the Earth the Stars the Planets EVERYTHING. Imagination or not whatever you are imagining has to be created somewhere (inside my own head?) along the way and guess who that was? Whether you are 2 million light years away or here, whatever tangible objects are near you are the creation of him by human hands. and to answer your question about why WE are here, the same reason you would buy an ant farm or raise a pet I would guess because nobody really knows why we are here. It`s devine intervention. Any Gods on Eternia are secondary Gods to the CREATER! Please excuse my literal thinking!
    I was educated in a Catholic school until 12 years after being sent off for asking a nun if God was a creation of man, I studied the Bible with the Jehovah's Witnesses to my 18 years, then went to the Mormon and then to the Lusitanian Catholic Apostolic Evangelical Church, now after reading "Allan Kardec" stopped believing that I could ever find the truth about God ... because there is nothing to find.

The road to happiness is just stop to want and learn to wait. (not a quote from a book, are my words).

If we can do this we will get all our answers in the end of the journey without suffering with anticipation.

To get what we should or not do... we have the answer always if we think about it.

When I said that "God" used us as is public I was thinking in the Heisenberg uncertainty principle... he needs us to make the collapse of the wavefunction.

Without an observer "his" creation donīt exists...
    Last edited by Ulisses31; September 6, 2009 at 09:35pm.

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    hmmm Marlena was from Earth, Orko has been to Earth, so there must be an Earthly religion. If this is so then OUR God we worship here on Earth would still be the creater of Eternia, he created the Heavens the Earth the Stars the Planets EVERYTHING. Imagination or not whatever you are imagining has to be created somewhere along the way and guess who that was? Whether you are 2 million light years away or here, whatever tangible objects are near you are the creation of him by human hands. and to answer your question about why WE are here, the same reason you would buy an ant farm or raise a pet I would guess because nobody really knows why we are here. It`s devine intervention Any Gods on Eternia are secondary Gods to the CREATER! Please excuse my literal thinking!
    Adam03, you are headed exactly where I intended. I'm all for the idea of Teela being a Warrior Goddess, The Goddess, Procrustus, and Serpos the god-beast. I think they lend a certain Greek-style gravitas and mythic aspect to the MOTU property. Still, I believe that Eternia was created as Earth was (the Marlena connection only goes to further my thinking) by the God you speak of.

The idea of other gods (Serpos, Procrustus, Zeus, etc.) does not fly in the face of any of this, or quite frankly, in the face of any science, as it is my utter belief that God is in the details. I don't want to get into religion, of course, but it has always been my belief that the Power to Master the Universe, which has been safely kept in Grayskull under the protection of characters such as He-Man, She-Ra, The Sorceress, The Goddess, Zodac/k (each of whom could be considered gods themselves), this Power could only be that of God. Perhaps what lies in Graskull is a tool of God, a MacGuffin of such unimaginable power for creation and destruction that only God could be responsible.

The naming of He-Man's alter ego being Adam lends a certain element of Christianity as well, although I certainly don't think that any other religion or belief system is negated hereby either. Eternia may just be the scene of the most epic throwdown ever. Perhaps, though, there is quite a bit more to the story. Perhaps Demo-Man has hunted down such nexus points of God's power (call it what you will, but thusforth I shall refer to it as The Power) and wound up imprisoned in Infinita because of his deeds (like Karak Nul). His fusion with Keldor, resulting in the birth of Skeletor, has given him a new avenue to follow in his quest. The Cosmic Enforcers, governed by the Trollan Overlords, act as protectors of The Power, wherever it lies unprotected. Castle Grayskull, like other supposed (by myself) nexus points, acts in this mythology as the proverbial Tree of Forbidden Fruit. Grayskull is a temptation, a test. God will not intervene, because, well, let's face it: that's not his style!

Forgive me my ramblings. I simply wanted to express my own take on the Power of Grayskull and the distinction between God (take Him or leave Him) and gods such as Serpos and Procrustus, and even characters such as He-Man, He-Ro, She-Ra, The Goddess, The Sorceress, etc.

In fact, I would almost wonder whether The Sorceress and Goddess (if they are in fact seperate characters) might be more along the lines of empowered saints or some such.

This is interesting, if potentially touchy, territory.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    Adam03, you are headed exactly where I intended. [...]

This is interesting, if potentially touchy, territory.
    A great story that have inspired everyone... Homer's Odyssey.

To me the real "God(s)" is/are not present in Eternia Pantheon in the same way he/they is/are not in the Catholic Saints Pantheon...

They are Human Creations... and when I say God, I was using that title, as a definition of a fictional character.

In real life we donīt even know what is really a God... or The God... or if the word God can accurately describe it...

But the word God can describe a Human creation of a deity that is part of a Pantheon...

So Eternia have Gods.

Now I have to sleep, is 3 in the morning in m side of the world... tomorrow I get here again to see your opinions my friends...
    Last edited by Ulisses31; September 6, 2009 at 10:01pm.

What qualifies a god anyway?

Terms of power? Then He-man and Sorceress.

Terms of age? King Hiss seems more of a god in age and in power level. Plus he controled Serpos

I really liked the Serpos idea btw...but I still think King Hiss was a better snakeman god than He. Serpos seemed more like some over powered guardian of snakemen. But King Hiss did say Serpos would restore him...so perhaps it had more power than we witnessed.

As a child, I never knew about the espisode of the show that explained Sorceress's origin and I always believe she was god. Hence why people were all "By the Sorceress!" And other exclimations similar to that.
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

Quote Originally Posted by Ulisses31 View Post
    A great story that have inspired everyone... Homer's Odyssey.

To me the real "God(s)" is/are not present in Eternia Pantheon in the same way he/they is/are not in the Catholic Saints Pantheon...

They are Human Creations... and when I say God, I was using that title, as a definition of a fictional character.

In real life we donīt even know what is really a God... or The God... or if the word God can accurately describe it...

But the word God can describe a Human creation of a deity that is part of a Pantheon...

So Eternia have Gods.

Now I have to sleep, is 3 in the morning in m side of the world... tomorrow I get here again to see your opinions my friends...
    You my friend are too critical of religion and this is most likely the reason you studied all the different religions and haven`t found peace in any particular religion. I`d say you are so critical of religion that you have become an athiest. I do hope you find the peace you have been seeking though all these different religions.

MOTU is fiction, the characters in it aren't real even by a leap of faith, they're just entertainment. I think a gods vs God debate isn't necessary under those circumstances. I see God in the values and virtues of the heroes, but I don't need to have God himself personified in this fictional world.

As for Procrustus and the Goddess, they are both very Greek god-esque I think. There's a Demeter/Artemis/Athena element to GG, and obviously Procrustus evokes Atlas the Titan. I wouldn't mistake either for truly omnipotent or omniscient, but they do seem to exist on a higher level of power that sets them apart from the mortal characters of the canon. Of course you could always say that everyone on Eternia is like the characters in Kirby's Asgard or New Genesis, and they are mega-powered near-immortal beings compared to an Earthling (I guess Marlena just got lucky). In that case, GG and Procrustus are simply two more characters in the pantheon that includes He-Man.

But again, this is just a realm of fantasy, not something I would try to fit into an actual hierarchy of divinity.
    Last edited by gbagok; September 6, 2009 at 10:59pm.

From what I have gathered through all the various bits of Eternian lore that are out there, Eternia does have a pantheon of gods that are not, as of yet, fully explored. We do know a few, and if I had to classify them, they'd go as such:

Serpos: Destroyer god, the serpent god of the Snake Men. Did King Hiss really control Serpos, or does King Hiss just act as chief acolyte and guide his followers along the same path that Serpos has already chosen? If he did actually control Serpos it's not like he didn't have mystical help with all of the steps he had to go through to free Serpos.

The Goddess: Creation god. Not like the Christian notion of a god that created everything mind you, rather a god of things growing and green and good, like Demeter of ancient Greece.

Procrustus: Who may be more like a Titan than a God exactly. He fills a very specific roll. The holds Eternia, and thus the entire universe together. It's not really been explored, but I'd bet he is the inspiration behind the Cosmic Enforcers. Just like he litterally holds the planet, and by extension, the universe together, so do the enforcers hold the cosmic balance together.

Of course I'm making a bit of a leap about Procrustus based on the idea that Eternia is the center of the universe, but I think by this point that is a pretty popular notion.

Another possibility is that of Horde Supreme being a god also. Perhaps he is a greater destroyer god than Serpos, or maybe he's outside of the Eternian pantheon altogether, not really enough known about him to say either way.

As for Teela, though she is called the Warrior Goddess and a clone of The Goddess, she is not a god herself. She'd be more akin to Hercules. She's the offspring of a god who has not yet fully proven herself to take her own place with the gods.

By that rationale, is any of this really necessary? It's entertainment. Of course, we all take MOTU fairly seriously, as fans and .Org members. The Power of Grayskull is such an amorphous idea, I think it only natural for us to fit the idea in with our own ideas. You might not try to fit any f this into such a hierarchy, but clearly some of us would and have. The ability to rationalize any entertainment with one's own outlook, information, ideology, or whathaveyou makes it even more interseting in my humble opinion.

Your comparison of Eternian heroes to Kirby's New Gods is a fantastic analogy as well! I was headed in that very direction myself.

Great notes, there, JakeofEternia! I love what you've gathered there. Nice work.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Are we talking about MOTUC or just MOTU in general? Because in MOTUC Teela is said to be a clone of the Sorceress, not the Goddess. Not sure why she's called a Warrior Goddess with that heritage, unless "Warrior Goddess" is an understood Eternian hyperbole.

If they ever bring up Lighthope in the bios, I'd say he's a good candidate for the unofficial pantheon.

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    By that rationale, is any of this really necessary? It's entertainment. Of course, we all take MOTU fairly seriously, as fans and .Org members. The Power of Grayskull is such an amorphous idea, I think it only natural for us to fit the idea in with our own ideas. You might not try to fit any f this into such a hierarchy, but clearly some of us would and have. The ability to rationalize any entertainment with one's own outlook, information, ideology, or whathaveyou makes it even more interseting in my humble opinion.
    I guess I thought "this" was just a thread to learn more about the fictional mythology of Eternia and to guess at who belongs in an Eternian pantheon, which is greatly different from trying to assert how God himself can coexist with everything in the mythology as a part of it. If people need a thread to come to terms with God and fiction, that seems like something else. I'm Christian, I'm all for talking about God, but I do recognize not everyone understands God the same way or shares the same beliefs, so it can be dangerous.
    Last edited by gbagok; September 6, 2009 at 11:41pm.