Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How will the new movie affect Classics?

How will the new movie affect Classics?

With news recently suggesting that the new masters movie will go into production this year, and fans speculating a 2016 release, how do you see this affecting the classics line?

Could classics last a lot longer than we previously thought?

Could we see a version of classics hitting retail?

What do you guys think? Something says to me we could see a repackaged version of classics hitting retail but with less accessories( think Scott alluded to this at one point) but I'd be interested in what you think?
    Making sure the vintage line is fully reproduced in the classics line

Positive trades; Nightcraw

I kind of think the plug will be pulled on Classics altogether, and resources used to promote a movie-based kiddie line for retail instead.
    Top Ten Next Reveals Wanted: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Mermista, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Tung Lashor

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    I kind of think the plug will be pulled on Classics altogether, and resources used to promote a movie-based kiddie line for retail instead.
    Nice to see we're all remaining upbeat and positive then. Lol
    Making sure the vintage line is fully reproduced in the classics line

Positive trades; Nightcraw

I think it's a VERY VERY GOOD NEWS !!! He-Man needed new fresh fan blood and I'm confident in the movie !!
    Can't wait!
    The MOTUC line may be saved thanks to this Movie! (And I'm fine with another line as well)

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    New blood is always a good thing. Look at what Bayformers did for Transformers. New games. Multiple comics. Novels. DK Books.

I think we might get new fans jumping on board for Classics, especially if TG starts making some 2.0 figures of older characters for the new crowd to come on board.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    None, just like it's had for the last 5 years it's been in development hell. Let's get a cast, a shoot, and a release date before we worry about how it'll affect us.
    My MOTU Classics Wishlist:
    Filmation - LIZARD MAN, Kittrina, Vultak, Zilora, Ileena, Masque
    Space Mutants - CRITA, Staghorn, Quakke, Butthead, Lizzor, Hoove
    MYP - VEENA, Evilseed, Prahvus
    Concept - RED BEAST, 4H alien 'Zodaq', Tony Guerrero Prototype

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    New blood is always a good thing. Look at what Bayformers did for Transformers. New games. Multiple comics. Novels. DK Books.

I think we might get new fans jumping on board for Classics, especially if TG starts making some 2.0 figures of older characters for the new crowd to come on board.
    I'd rather not see something like Bayformers happen to MOTU…

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge View Post
    None, just like it's had for the last 5 years it's been in development hell. Let's get a cast, a shoot, and a release date before we worry about how it'll affect us.
    Yeah, no kidding… Until I am sitting at a theater with my soda and pop-corn and watching the opening credits, I won't believe this movie is actually happening…
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

I think in a movie year mattycollector might offer up some more of the 8-back characters. But beyond that, the sub will not be affected.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    I can easily see this happening. It happened with both GI Joe and Transformers.

Heroic Podcaster
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtfc View Post
    You are right and it killed GLJoe toys, imho. The 25th Anniversary figures were very nice and the movie toys were garbage. I would hate to see Classics die just a few vintage figures short of a complete collection and have it replaced with 'updated' movie MOTU nonsense. Ugh.
    Angella - BLADE! - Blast Attak - Buzzsaw Hordak - DOUBLE TROUBLE! - Dragstor - ELDOR! - ENTRAPTA! - EXTENDAR! - FLUTTERINA!
    Flying Fists He-Man - Gwildor - Lazer Light He-Man - Lazer Light Skeletor - Mermista - MultiBot - Ninjor - Peekablue - Perfuma
    RIO BLAST! - Rotar - Saurod - Spinnerella - Sssqueeze - SWEET BEE! - Terror Claws Skeletor - Tung Lashor - Twistoid

MOTUC is almost over. Really not more to be done in terms of figures. Maybe a beast/vehicle line. What's a movie going to offer other than redesigns?
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

Heroic Warrior Matthew L. Martin's Avatar
    Hasn't Transformers been steadily producing movie tie-ins, cartoon tie-ins, video game tie-ins, and "Generations" for collectors (a la Classics) for the past few years? I can only go by what I see on the pegs at Target.

They'll probably use motuc tool for movie figs

It won't, Classics has it's own budget. A Movie and retail outing of a new line wouldn't affect our little Collectors line as far as making it go away or something.

Quote Originally Posted by KUZEH View Post

Yeah, no kidding… Until I am sitting at a theater with my soda and pop-corn and watching the opening credits, I won't believe this movie is actually happening…
    Hell no, I seriously hope it's not like those movies....it may have helped gain popularity by being on the big screen, but, I hated most of the dialog and plot lines.

MOTUC has no media, has it's own budget and is not in retail, so there is nothing to compete with as far as shelf space with a potential new retail Masters line. The Transformers lines end when the new media is exhausted, but Classics / Universe / Generations has been running since 2006 granted sometimes put on hiatus because it would directly compete with shelf space, it always comes back and is pretty much one big line, just different branding in earlier cases.

But year after year despite any new media Transformers Collectors Club is still offered, and that other than us MOTUC collectors getting new figures instead of the TFCC repaints would be no different. Since, ours is subscription based, not retail wave based.
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Demand for Classics would increase with a new movie I think. Many people would go and see the film, think, "I remember that, I wonder if I can buy my old He-Man figures?" - google - and then end up at mattycollector.com and he-man.org.
    Mattel likes money. Mattel would be stupid not to start a schedule for re-releases of the classics if/when a movie enters production. Have a look at the TMNT classics line alongside the new Nickelodeon figures - there is some demand for classics generated by an updated media release.

Widget
    I could see them doing a small release of "Classics 2.0" of the more popular characters for retail for older fans of the brand that are re-interested in the property because of the movie. I see this being mostly repaints with a couple of extras thrown in for collectors. Maybe we'd get a Classic He-Man with the New Adventures sword hand or a Teela 2.0. Maybe Stratos would actually come with his staff and be able to hold it!

Hover Robots in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
    You are right and it killed GLJoe toys, imho. The 25th Anniversary figures were very nice and the movie toys were garbage. I would hate to see Classics die just a few vintage figures short of a complete collection and have it replaced with 'updated' movie MOTU nonsense. Ugh.
    I actually agree with you. Except some of the 25th figures weren't all that nice, sharing parts that did not match the vintage design at all, cheapening them. Some of them are genuinely hit and miss, which is why I quit collecting them. And the price for some of the sub-only figures are outrageous now. That and seeing how well MOTUC and Star Wars Black are done in 6-inch, I'm 6-inch figures only. I'm holding out hope that ARAH G.I. Joe will do the same, even if it means a sub.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Skeletor's Hover Robots 2) Sssqueeze 3) Tung Lashor 4) Stridor 5) Night Stalker 6) Lizard Man 7) Battle Ram (back half) 8) Roton 9) Multi-Bot 10) Ninjor 11) Dragstor 13) Blast-Attak 14) Saurod 15) Gwildor 16) Snake Mountain 17) TC Skeletor 18) FF He-Man 19) Karg

Heroic Warrior
    I think a movie might start an interest in the line--but shelves will be stocked with cheaper, lighter, movie versions of MOTU. Have you bought a "Transformer" lately? Tiny, fragile, barely-a-robot-barely-a-vehicle. Then there's the ultra-cheap shampoo bottle-esque figures that just stand there. Not trying to be negative; it's just that the cost of producing quality action figures is sky-high (Masterpiece line, for example).

Crystal Moonbeam & Shezar The All American's Avatar
    I'd actually like to see ToyGuru chime in here. He and Mattel would have the best answer for us. What will happen to Classics?

If it gets us more MOTUC, then good!

If it's a deathnail, then I don't want a new movie at all.

MOTUC forever!

Quote Originally Posted by vid.tracey View Post
    Nice to see we're all remaining upbeat and positive then. Lol
    Ha ha! I just know that whenever I've walked through the aisles at Target the past couple of years, it's like all Mattel does is crappy-looking figures for whatever the current summer blockbuster is... I would love to be wrong!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew L. Martin View Post
    Hasn't Transformers been steadily producing movie tie-ins, cartoon tie-ins, video game tie-ins, and "Generations" for collectors (a la Classics) for the past few years? I can only go by what I see on the pegs at Target.
    Yeah, but that's Hasbro. I guess I don't have much faith that Mattel will let ToyGuru keep MOTUC as an online pet project for a "tiny" collector base when they can move him over to be in charge of a retail boys toys line.
    Top Ten Next Reveals Wanted: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Mermista, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Tung Lashor

I doubt there will be much difference, because there isn't going to be a movie.

What movie? It's just the same old lip flapping we've heard for years. Classics will be long dead by the time a movie comes along...and at the rate they are going, most of us will be dead too.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!
    DYLAMANIA IS RUNNIN' WILD! THE MOB IS GROWING!

Court Magician
    What I would be looking for if we hit the big screen would be a different scale altogether. Sorta like all the new movies releases like a 3 1/2" or 4" line. That way I can revive my G.I. Joe's from my toy vault. I truly love the classics line and I would hate to see the same thing in scale brought to retail with less quality.

Let's go out of the ordinary here...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KUZEH View Post
    It's easy to scoff at Bay's movies (with a fourth one on the way), but you can't argue what it has done for Transformers' overall popularity. Your grandmother probably knows who Bumblebee is. Despite a mute Bumblebee, bloodthirsty and homicidal Prime and spitting Decepticons in the movies, G1 is still around with books, novels, comics, video games, artbooks, even with Masterpiece and Generations figures -- stuff that MOTU fans would kill for. So those movies are a necessary evil with all the cool stuff that they are getting. Besides, TF fans are used to different canons, something MOTU fans seemingly have trouble with (200X, NA, POP, Classics canon, New 52).

TMNT has a classic line alongside of it's modern incarnation, as did ThunderCats 2011. I think putting all of your eggs in the movie basket and cancelling a line that works independently of the movie is done. I don't think Transformers will put Generations on hold for Age of Extinction, nor will Bay's Ninja Turtle flick stop the cartoon and classic lines from continuing. Who knows what ideas Hasbro has for G.I. Joe 3?

Classics still has a bunch of leftover characters and variants that fans still want. A movie could bring in a new bunch of fans who were completely unaware that there WAS a Classics line. We still have fans jumping on board who had never heard of the line. Mattel can make new improved versions of old figures (especially the ones that were made to pop, backwards shoulders, botched paint jobs, etc.) that old fans might want and new fans will definitely want. It's a great chance for new blood to replace the disgruntled fans.

Fans have to ask themselves if they want a golden age of MOTU because of the high popularity of a terrible movie or would they want MOTU to vanish into obscurity with no movie?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

If Mattel were smart they could use the MOTUC male, female, hairy beast tools and just sculpt new heads clothing, accessories and armour to fit in with the likenesses of the actors and their style of their costume.

They would have a secured baseline of collectors for the product as these figs would fit in seamlessly with MOTUC and as they would be produced for retail in much higher numbers the price point should be able to come down quite a bit, particularly if they are only having one accessory.

Bar new armour/ clothing, accessories and heads they already have everything tooled to produce movie figures. The MOTUC customers have already paid for the lions share of the tooling over the life if the line...... Which means more profit for Mattel and hopefully more good things for the brand!
    Last edited by Angel-T; January 12, 2014 at 05:02am.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!