Thread: International Shipping Craziness

Heroic Warrior

International Shipping Craziness

Whats going on with the international shipping these days??

I was just having a quick browse Ebay looking for a few needed vintage figures and am shocked at what people are asking for shipping to Australia!!

I don't mind mind paying decent prices for good condition figures, but when I see a figure going for $30-40 and then shipping of over $50, I lose interest immediately. It is particularly pricy from the US. Europe is next, but almost half the price and then Asia is cheap if not free?!

As I have never sold on the bay, are the shipping prices dictated by Ebay or are these prices that the seller provides?

Just wanted to add before I offend, I am only using Ebay as an example, I have seen other crazy prices from a number of online shops and resellers.

The prices might not be all that crazy, after-all Australia is just about as far as you can get from the U.S. Just look at a map and the destinations that you quoted from you and it should make more sense to why they are what they are. =)

Well, even shipping to Canada from the US is a lot. A lot of the times the shipping is more than the item itself.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Riddle of Steel View Post
    The prices might not be all that crazy, after-all Australia is just about as far as you can get from the U.S. Just look at a map and the destinations that you quoted from you and it should make more sense to why they are what they are. =)
    mmmm, its practically the same distance to the UK and i regularly get parcels from the UK for under $10-15, even less when buying single lose figures.

Australia to UK - 15,195 km - centre to centre
    Australia to US - 15,175 km - centre to centre

Heroic Warrior
    USPS keeps raising postage rates, coupled with newer postage calculation methods which make no sense- seems funny to me it costs almost $5 to mail a small first class package one state away on one day, while another day I mail an object about the same size to California and it costs $2.50.

Shipping on Ebay has to be the worst. It's all over the place. Even before you get to people who feel the need to have the fastest shipping (which is slowed by customs and doesn't ship any quicker anyway), the quotes on the same service from the same place for the same thing can at least double from seller to seller. The worst for me though is that Canada Post likes to add this feature which "guarantees" no duty when the package arrives, but actually charges on things you wouldn't pay duty on to begin with, and uses a rate much higher than paying the duty would be when it gets to your door.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkerBoh View Post
    mmmm, its practically the same distance to the UK and i regularly get parcels from the UK for under $10-15, even less when buying single lose figures.

Australia to UK - 15,195 km - centre to centre
    Australia to US - 15,175 km - centre to centre

Not necessarily and would depend on the route of travel. Also, I can state first hand that to send even a 1lb. box to Australia via First Class is like a good $16-17.00 in pure postage alone. That's not counting handling or supplies fees if one were to add those in as well and that's the on-line rate.

If someone goes to the Post Office itself it's easily at LEAST $2.00 on top of that just in postage, then you gotta figure at minimum another $1.00 for the box/supplies. See how quickly it adds up and can get to something like $20.00? And again, that's just for a 1lb. box.

People on Ebay ship in all sorts of ways since it's all different sellers so that's part of the reason to why the prices are all over the place.

I hate to say it, but you may have been spoiled too long with that ever you were paying as you can see this is just what it is coming from a U.S. destination.

On another note, as mentioned, USPS postage went up a few months back as well so there's more fuel to the fire.

The problem originates with scammers claiming they never received the item and eBay ALWAYS siding with them and refunding them no questions asked. So now most sellers will only ship via tracked and insured shipping so they have their backs covered. Unfortunately those shipping services aren't cheap

Sad that the scammers have spoilt it for everyone as I remember back when you could ship stuff by standard mail with no hassles. I guess those days are well and truly over. From now on I only ship outside the UK using the Global Shipping Program so I no longer have the hassle of worrying if the item gets there safely. That's all on eBay UK
    At this point I just HOPE for Dylamug and Hunga the Harpy!

Heroic Warrior
    As the above guy said, USPS tracking for foreign packages is highly expensive and Paypal sides with the buyer if there is no proof of DELIVERY. The customs form # might serve as limited tracking but only until it leaves the US and sometimes it may not work at all.

Unfortunately, some of those services can also be quite slow- I purchased an item from Hungary and the seller used Registered Airmail. It took 5 days for the package to leave Hungary, another 7 days for a single scan to show up in a NY sort facility, and another 5 days to get to me. To make matters worse, tracking on Registered packages is basically useless because it rarely updates online. And even with other services it still depends on customs getting stuff in and out, and unfortunately Paypal doesn't care if the courier messes up, it's out of the seller's pocket.

The problem is eBay requires tracking, and international tracking is expensive. I've had many people say, please use cheaper shipping, then they say they never got it, now I have no proof either way and eBay/Paypal takes the money from me and pay it to them.

I've even had buyers say they'll take the risk, but they still end up reporting they didn't get it. Now the only way I ship without tracking is here and only if they send the money as a gift, so they can't request a refund (Now they are truly taking the risk, otherwise they'll have to go with the higher shipping.)

Sorry, it's just the nature of the business, a few, (breath) few have ruined for all of us.

Another reason why eBay shipping is more expensive than it should be is because eBay and PayPal want their cut of the shipping charges as well so they take final value fees from it also.
    ......... ........

MOST WANTED MOTUC figures:
    Ice Armor He-Man, Sagitar, Master Sebrian, Snake Mountain Man, Filmation Mer-Man, NA Prince Adam, Dylamug, Fang-Or, Major Header, Granita, Great Black Wizard, Quakke, Delora/Hawke, Dree-Elle/Montork, Tuvar, Badrah, Disco Skeletor, Songster, & Stridor

*My iTrader Feedback
    *My MOTU_Maniac Feedback Thread

Heroic Warrior
    I do indeed think some traders get their profits from the shipping fees .

Heroic Warrior
    Gift payments aren't totally safe- while they're immune to normal Paypal claims, the buyer could file a chargeback with their credit card company just as easily.

Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    The problem originates with scammers claiming they never received the item and eBay ALWAYS siding with them and refunding them no questions asked. So now most sellers will only ship via tracked and insured shipping so they have their backs covered. Unfortunately those shipping services aren't cheap

Sad that the scammers have spoilt it for everyone as I remember back when you could ship stuff by standard mail with no hassles. I guess those days are well and truly over.
    You summed it up pretty well. I got scammed by a handful of buyers so now I refuse to send anything international. It's not worth the hassle or headache.

From now on I only ship outside the UK using the Global Shipping Program so I no longer have the hassle of worrying if the item gets there safely.
    The GSP is a scam. Do some research on it. I and many other have gotten screwed by it.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    Another reason why eBay shipping is more expensive than it should be is because eBay and PayPal want their cut of the shipping charges as well so they take final value fees from it also.
    Yeah that one REALLY riles me up! That is a really ridiculous thing to do, so much so that I usually offer free shipping and just include it in the asking price along with the final value fee amount on the inclusive shipping value. That way you lose nothing and the buyer can't mark you down for inflated shipping (in order to also cover cost of the final value fee on shipping)

eBay and Paypal have gotten greedier over the years!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    The GSP is a scam. Do some research on it. I and many other have gotten screwed by it.
    I've only used it once so far for a very high end item (ThunderCats Tongue-A-Saurus) as I did not want the hassle of shipping it overseas myself due to it's value. I sent it to the UK shipping centre by fully tracked and insured next day delivery. Anyway it arrived in the USA a few days ago and the buyer has left feedback. Luckily it worked out well for me and the buyer.

I don't know what the US terms are, but the UK terms state that eBay are responsible for any loss or damage to the item during delivery. I guess the buyer could try to claim that the item is not as described and send back an old shoe, but in that case I'd fight the claim all the way. I NEVER leave any funds idle in my Paypal account so not like they could just take the funds directly back.

I don't really have time to scour through the internet though, but I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences
    Last edited by blackiecats; August 17, 2015 at 07:25pm.
    At this point I just HOPE for Dylamug and Hunga the Harpy!

Heroic Warrior
    From now on I only ship outside the UK using the Global Shipping Program so I no longer have the hassle of worrying if the item gets there safely. That's all on eBay UK
    I avoid anything to do with the GSP, both times I have purchased items where the GSP has been used, I did not get my item.

I can tell you I ship from my workplace where we use both UPS and Fed Ex. We even get discounts here because of the volume we ship daily.

Something has happened at UPS where rates have jumped up significantly. A box weighing less than half a pound would have cost me 9.60 something cents to ship three states away! I ended up shipping a 1.8 pound box for less than 4 dollars with Fed Ex.

My only complaint is that I know for certain UPS does a slightly better job taking care of product than Fed Ex. I'm our warranty analyst and get twice the amount of returns for "damaged in shipping" on Fed Ex shipments than I do UPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Something has happened at UPS where rates have jumped up significantly. A box weighing less than half a pound would have cost me 9.60 something cents to ship three states away! I ended up shipping a 1.8 pound box for less than 4 dollars with Fed Ex.
    That's cause UPS uses Dimensional Weight instead of Actual Weight sometimes now.

UPS first weighs the package to get the Actual Weight. Then they determine the Dimensional Weight. Which even one is more, is the weight they use to determine your shipping cost. The Dimensional Weight formula is :

Length X With X Height / 139

It's a complete rip off and the main reason I refuse to ship UPS anymore.

Here's a link if you want to read more about it:

https://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/re...im_weight.html

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    That's cause UPS uses Dimensional Weight instead of Actual Weight sometimes now.

UPS first weighs the package to get the Actual Weight. Then they determine the Dimensional Weight. Which even one is more, is the weight they use to determine your shipping cost. The Dimensional Weight formula is :

Length X With X Height / 139

It's a complete rip off and the main reason I refuse to ship UPS anymore.

Here's a link if you want to read more about it:

https://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/re...im_weight.html
    This might explain why a lot of stuff I order comes via FedEx now and nothing by UPS.