Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are The Sub Numbers Real? A Polite, Respectful Discussion

Are The Sub Numbers Real? A Polite, Respectful Discussion

MOD NOTE: Feel free to use this thread to debate whether the sub numbers are accurate or not. Please remember to follow the forum rules, though.

I'm excited and relieved that the sub is happening. However, there is NO WAY I will believe that 24% of all sales happened after 10 pm EST last night. I'm sorry, that's ridiculous. Matty says 6% happened that day up until 10 pm EST, and then another 21% late that night? I call shenanigans.

I hope they take mercy on DC.
    Last edited by No-Ah; August 20, 2013 at 03:06pm.

I'm guessing the guy who reported on Facebook the sub ended at 94% was full of it. So glad to put all conspiracy crap to bed. We did it and I knew we would.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

So after being up for 2 months 24% of the sub sales came in just the last 15 hours?

...Whatever, I'll take it!
    -"You want me to drive?!!"
    -"Hey, it's the 80's!"

20+% in a day..shenanigans but knew that would come. was only off 2% on the low side guess. Congrats everyone. now to weed through the marsh to find two bad
    Find what you seek only when you look in the right places...

AWESOME. SO. CLOSE.

And this DESPITE people who were desperate for the line to fail, because to them i\t would be the only way to "Prove" Scott Neitlich's honesty.

But anyway, I'm not surprised that the .org represents only a small percentage of sales, for several reasons:

1. The vocal internet crowd is very rarely the majority in anything.

2. If we were, then our 1.2K subs would have to be a large portion of what, 5,000? When a toy is produced in a limited number of 5,000, this is usually small enough for its production number to be on the box. 5,000 is absurdly low.

3. He-man.org is relatively exclusionary - if you have a gmail account, you have to pay money - and that helps scare away a lot of casual customers as well as spammers.

4. See point #1 about vocal internet crowd.

Oh yeah, and... to the guy who claimed "Mattel knew this sub was going forward six months ago," I want you to prove your massive conspiracy theory. Just because it went through today doesn't mean that it was decided six months ago, the thermometer was a sham, and they had no minimum. Come on, now, that's a pretty big accusation.

Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    ...there is NO WAY I will believe that 21% of all sales happened after 10 pm EST last night. I'm sorry, that's ridiculous. Matty says 6% happened that day up until 10 pm EST, and then another 21% late that night? I call shenanigans.
    Quote Originally Posted by lemure77 View Post
    20+% in a day..shenanigans but knew that would come.
    Geez, we have some cynical fans here. Just like Kickstarter, we all know by now a lot of people wait to the last day. So even if you believe it or not, I say stop being so negative and start celebrating!!! Club Eternia 2014 going through is awesome news!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Geez, we have some cynical fans here. Just like Kickstarter, we all know by now a lot of people wait to the last day. So even if you believe it or not, I say stop being so negative and start celebrating!!! Club Eternia 2014 going through is awesome news!
    Only 6% of all sales on the final day and then 24% after 10 PM EST, when most customers have logged off? Nope. Sorry. I'm not feeling like celebrating. I mean, I'm glad the sub went through. I want the figures. But unless I get an explanation which I believe, I'll never trust a word Matty says again.
    Last edited by No-Ah; August 20, 2013 at 02:16pm.

Only 6% of all sales on the final day and then 21% after 10 PM EST, when most customers have logged off? Nope. Sorry. I'm not feeling like celebrating. I mean, I'm glad the sub went through. I want the figures. But unless I get an explanation which I believe, I'll never trust a word Matty says again.
    Well, have fun with that. I'll be having fun with my toys!!!!

Right outside your window - MWAHAHAHAHA!!!
    Only 6% of all sales on the final day and then 21% after 10 PM EST, when most customers have logged off? Nope. Sorry. I'm not feeling like celebrating. I mean, I'm glad the sub went through. I want the figures. But unless I get an explanation which I believe, I'll never trust a word Matty says again.
    I don't understand why it's SOOOOO unbelievable that overseas buyers waited until the last minute. You do realize that they had basically all of Tuesday's workday to subscribe before it finally closed down. I think you're being very unreasonable.
    Always remember: Pillage BEFORE you burn!

-World's #1 Goat Man Fan- NastyNate's Avatar
    I doubt it went up 21% after 10pm. The thermometer just wasnt updated.
    Dont worry, be happy...
    Goat Man is the MOTUC 2014 Traveling Con Exclusive! Im officially the happiest boy in the whole world.

I posted this in the other thread, just before it all was moved to this one:

"I know that Scott said the percentage posted yesterday morning was accurate and not from Friday (84% or whatever it was), but do you think the numbers are actually from present orders? In other words, doesn't DR have to wait to actually receive funds from the Credit/Debit companies? When you make a purchase, the money is "promised" from Visa/Mastercard, etc., but is it actually counted before DR/Mattel physically receives the money. If that were the case, the precentage could be accurate to the number of orders that have completed full processing, but not an accurate view of how many numbers were actually placed by that time.

I guess I just want to know if its realistic to still expect 130% sub sales or something like last year.
    "

Its the only thing I can think might explain the numbers. I too never fully believed the thermometer story, but if this is the case it would explain why the numbers didn't exactly line up with the sub sales accounted for on this thread (even though only a small portion).

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post

He's just having sour grapes because other people are getting fun toys, and he wanted it to fail. Let him stew.

Quote Originally Posted by Griftor View Post
    I don't understand why it's SOOOOO unbelievable that overseas buyers waited until the last minute. You do realize that they had basically all of Tuesday's workday to subscribe before it finally closed down. I think you're being very unreasonable.
    I question whether overseas buyers even do add up to 24% of all subscribers. I remember ToyGuru recently saying they were a small slice of the business.

Quote Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
    I doubt it went up 21% after 10pm. The thermometer just wasnt updated.
    Dont worry, be happy...
    But.... Guru told us it was at 91% at 10 pm EST. If that's true, then it went up 24% after 10 pm EST!

I'd have been amazed.

I still think they fudge the numbers just to get alot of BONUS orders in than they otherwise would have gotten with say, the pre order system...
    But as a first time subber.. this will be interesting.

So am I assuming you don't have to deal with the WSOD anymore, and things get shipped automatically each month?
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

But.... Guru told us it was at 91% at 10 pm EST. If that's true, then it went up 24% after 10 pm EST!
    We got to 115%...that is what matters! YAY!!!
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

Heroic Warrior
    So in just several hours the percentage jumped from 91% to 115% !?

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I'll second that notion Jon. Let them have their ill wills, I'll just keep doing a happy dance once a month when my stuff comes.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by FutureRetro View Post
    I posted this in the other thread, just before it all was moved to this one:

"I know that Scott said the percentage posted yesterday morning was accurate and not from Friday (84% or whatever it was), but do you think the numbers are actually from present orders? In other words, doesn't DR have to wait to actually receive funds from the Credit/Debit companies? When you make a purchase, the money is "promised" from Visa/Mastercard, etc., but is it actually counted before DR/Mattel physically receives the money. If that were the case, the precentage could be accurate to the number of orders that have completed full processing, but not an accurate view of how many numbers were actually placed by that time.

I guess I just want to know if its realistic to still expect 130% sub sales or something like last year.
    "

Its the only thing I can think might explain the numbers. I too never fully believed the thermometer story, but if this is the case it would explain why the numbers didn't exactly line up with the sub sales accounted for on this thread (even though only a small portion).
    This is one of the explanations which would satisfy me. But it would require Matty admitting that the updates ARE a few days behind. They have specifically said otherwise. I don't see how a company as incompetent as DR would be able to report the sales numbers at the speed TG says, but he does make that claim.

Quote Originally Posted by SkeleGreg View Post
    I got my sub and am glad I did, but I must say...Mattel is a master of manipulation. I call foul on Scott and the rest on his flunkies. I haven't seen such a load of crap since the last time they emptied my septic tank. I almost wish they didn't hit their "100%" and it didn't work next year to see what line of crap they gave us next.
    yep, agreed. I have no doubt that just like american idol, it's all rigged to get MORE orders than they other wise would have with another system. They are probably popping champagne bottles right now.. "they fell for it again.. We just made an extra million!" ;o)
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

-World's #1 Goat Man Fan- NastyNate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkeleGreg View Post
    I got my sub and am glad I did, but I must say...Mattel is a master of manipulation. I call foul on Scott and the rest on his flunkies. I haven't seen such a load of crap since the last time they emptied my septic tank. I almost wish they didn't hit their "100%" and it didn't work next year to see what line of crap they gave us next.
    So we made it but people are still mad? I just dont get it...
    Goat Man is the MOTUC 2014 Traveling Con Exclusive! Im officially the happiest boy in the whole world.

Or... you could put aside your negativity and wild conspiracy theories and celebrate that lots of people are getting cool toys for another year!

Right outside your window - MWAHAHAHAHA!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    I'd have been amazed.

I still think they fudge the numbers just to get alot of BONUS orders in than they otherwise would have gotten with say, the pre order system...
    But as a first time subber.. this will be interesting.

So am I assuming you don't have to deal with the WSOD anymore, and things get shipped automatically each month?
    Exactly. That's reason enough for me to sub every year right there. It's the reason I started subbing in 2009, and it's the reason I do it to this day (along with having enjoyed each and every release so far).
    Always remember: Pillage BEFORE you burn!

Only 6% of all sales on the final day and then 24% after 10 PM EST, when most customers have logged off? Nope. Sorry. I'm not feeling like celebrating. I mean, I'm glad the sub went through. I want the figures. But unless I get an explanation which I believe, I'll never trust a word Matty says again.
    Cant rain on this parade man. This is not about celebrating your personal dissatisfaction with matty. We are celebrating the victory of another year of life for this amazing line. Take it for what it is and enjoy it!
    Jii Dee regarding Matty's view on MOTUC Collectors: "Here be whiny surrender monkey dragons".

MOTUC NEEDS: Sssqueeze, Dragstor, Saurod, Blast Attack, & Lord Masque.

Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    So in just several hours the percentage jumped from 91% to 115% !?
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!