Thread: Dinosaur Sketches

I'm Anime Hyper-Detailed Battle_Brak's Avatar

Dinosaur Sketches

I figured I'd make a catch all thread since I draw quite a few Dinosaurs. First up is Diabloceratops...

I sketched this a couple weeks ago while babysitting my niece. She wanted to see how I draw Dinosaurs so I sat down with her and started to draw this. It started out as a pretty rough sketch. Later I came back to it, shaded it, and decided to draw each individual scale (which took a few hours).

Triceratops horridus redux...

There were a few anatomical issues with my last Trike picture, and I've learned a bit more about the actual scale patterns so this my second attempt. I will add bristles to this later but I wanted to do a version without as well.

UPDATE:

I haven't had time to draw for myself in a long, long time, but I finally got a little break. I decided I wanted to try out my greatly improved painting skills on some dinosaur art and here is the result

The dino in question is Chirostenotes pergracilis. This is based on a composite specimen owned by Triebold Paleontology. More specifically it is based on a casting of that specimen a buddy of mine won in an auction.
    Last edited by Battle_Brak; September 9, 2011 at 09:35pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Heroic Warrior
    Very awesome. My three year old daughter is a dinosaur fanatic. She was a Triceratops for halloween, had a Tyranosaurus cake for her birthday and is a hug fan of Dinosaur train. She is a huge fan of Styracosaurus, Utahraptor and Carnotaurus. I only wish i could draw them for her as well as you do

My next Dinosaur model is underway. This is Chirostenotes, the animal I painted earlier. It's not a very popular dino, but it's just such an odd looking creature I can't help but love it.

Right now it's still pretty rough, but the bulk of the anatomy is done. He still needs posed, feathered, and detailed, but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Update: I started the detailing process

Last edited by Battle_Brak; September 20, 2011 at 09:15pm.

100% love these!!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 11.2.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Quote Originally Posted by JafariStew View Post
    100% love these!!
    Thanks!!! I never really grew out of the "dinosaur phase" so I love working on dino stuff when I can find the time. This last model has been in the works for a while.

This will be available as a physical model soon if anyone is interested. All of my models so far are 1:12 scale which, but I'll also make this available in a smaller scale to keep costs down. I should have the details on that soon

Beautiful work! Always great to feel the love for the dinos
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

The bunny.
    Add him to your signature.
    Help him rule the world.

Your work is quite beautiful. I recently got Netflicks and have been absorbing every Dino related documentary I can find. I feel like I'm 6 again.

Have you ever considered showing your work at local exhibition? If you did some large scale prints, I'm sure dino fans would gobble them up. You could probably even approach museums and dinosaur related parks and education centers to sell your pieces.

Try zipping an email to the dino museum in Alberta.

Royal Tyrrel Museum
    Midland Provincial Park
    Drumheller, AB T0J 0Y0
    (403) 823-7707