Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.23!

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I don't mean to speak badly of the questions asked (because there were good questions, even if some of the answers were of the typical vague, ambiguous type), but what was up with the last question about getting the different series and the '87 movie in HD?.. and what was up with the answer they gave? Aside from the 200X cartoon, Mattel doesn't hold the rights to any of the 'toons or the movie, and they wouldn't be in charge of any new releases in HD or otherwise (and they weren't in charge of the existing DVD releases). This is pretty common knowledge at this point, which is what makes the question odd (if Mattel was in charge of those things, then it would have made more sense). And the answer is weird, too, because it's like they gave a robotic, stand 'no plans' response, when I would think they would have pointed out the fact that they don't hold the rights to these things. I don't mean any disrespect with this, but the question and response are both odd given what is known about these things.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Heroic Warrior
    I didn't care for his response towards the lack of a 2nd head for Zodak. I said it before and I'll say it again. Worst injustice thus far in the whole MOTUC line.

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    Doesn't anyone else know that WB has just re-issued Masters of the Universe onto DVD?

The re-issue was released on Sept. 8th -- the DVD itself [even the cover art] appears to be the same as the earlier release; the only change is now is that WBHV as packaged the DVD in a plastic keepcase [regular case] rather than a their earlier cardboard case.

I saw some in Best Buy a week or so ago, they had the re-issue in stock and around $9 I believe. I expect most places will be selling it for under $10
    Last edited by Captain Marvel; September 20, 2009 at 06:39pm.

Movie mayhem!
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
    Doesn't anyone else know that WB has just re-issued Masters of the Universe onto DVD?

The re-issue was released on Sept. 8th -- the DVD itself [even the cover art] appears to be the same as the earlier release; the only change is now is that WBHV as packaged the DVD in a plastic keepcase [regular case] rather than a their earlier cardboard case.

I saw some in Best Buy a week or so ago, they had the re-issue in stock and around $9 I believe. I expect most places will be selling it for under $10
    sounds like something you could add the main pages news section. The question was also about blueray though right? have you seen any of those?

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    I don't mean to speak badly of the questions asked (because there were good questions, even if some of the answers were of the typical vague, ambiguous type), but what was up with the last question about getting the different series and the '87 movie in HD?.. and what was up with the answer they gave? Aside from the 200X cartoon, Mattel doesn't hold the rights to any of the 'toons or the movie, and they wouldn't be in charge of any new releases in HD or otherwise (and they weren't in charge of the existing DVD releases). This is pretty common knowledge at this point, which is what makes the question odd (if Mattel was in charge of those things, then it would have made more sense). And the answer is weird, too, because it's like they gave a robotic, stand 'no plans' response, when I would think they would have pointed out the fact that they don't hold the rights to these things. I don't mean any disrespect with this, but the question and response are both odd given what is known about these things.
    that might be true, however, they would still most certainly know about it. And weren't they pretty involved with the previous releases? Even advertising with in them.
    Last edited by Patreek; September 20, 2009 at 07:24pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    that might be true, however, they would still most certainly know about it. And weren't they pretty involved with the previous releases? Even advertising with in them.
    They were only involved with the 200X releases as far as I know, and advertised MOTUC in those releases. From what I recall, they really did nothing to assist BCI with the 80s MOTU/POP/NA releases. In fact, they really had to sidestep and avoid mentioning Mattel and/or the toy line much at all in the bonus feature interviews. At best there were VERY vague references to them on occasion.

Mattel actually owns the 200X series, and eventually also licensed it to BCI when it came time to release it (I believe after they tried shopping it around elsewhere to get even more money for the license, which never panned out). So, BCI obtaining the 3 older series and then obtaining the 200X series were 2 separate events as the result of 2 separate deals.

I may not have all of my facts 100% correct on this, but I'm pretty sure that I'm not very far off either.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post

I did see the listing of this on Amazon. It's pretty cool, but it's not really a new edition or anything. It's the exact same release that has been out for some time, just in a different type of packaging. Nothing wrong with putting it up as news, but it's not the same as it coming out on Blu-Ray or a new edition being released with new extra features or anything like that.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; September 20, 2009 at 07:51pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

If a new He-Man movie ever happens, I expect Warner to go back and consider a Blu-Ray of the Lundgren flick.

Unfortunately there is no point in releasing the Filmation stuff in HD. It can't look any better than what we put out. After Hallmark digitized the library, they destroyed all the masters, so there is no way to go back and make an HD transfer from them.

Quote Originally Posted by grenadaspice View Post
    I didn't care for his response towards the lack of a 2nd head for Zodak. I said it before and I'll say it again. Worst injustice thus far in the whole MOTUC line.
    i dislike that they said it would be a good refresh for the character to release him again without a helmet. It's matty cashing in on the fact they can make $40 instead of $20. It'll sell out anyway so why bother doing us any favors like they did with man-at-arms. I bet they're already wishing they split him into 2 releases now going off that statement.

It's nice to have refreshes, but the fact that Zodak is already 100% repaint for the same price we pay for a figure that has new sculpting every month is a complete insult. These bonus figures are costing significantly less to produce. I'm sure matty will pump out as many of them as possible to make each sculpt make double the income. I just really hope this will lead to more unique sculpts and not matty just pocketing as much money as possible for the least work possible. This line is doing stupidly well right now. If matty don't pump that profit into it, a lot of the more unique looking characters (like mantenna and the rock people) are never even going to see the light of day
    Fneh's MOTUC wishlist:
    Spikor, MYP Marzo, Snake Armour He-Man, Stinkor
    Fneh's MOTUC needed list:
    King Grayskull, Beastman, Stratos head

Quote Originally Posted by Fneh View Post
    i dislike that they said it would be a good refresh for the character to release him again without a helmet. It's matty cashing in on the fact they can make $40 instead of $20. It'll sell out anyway so why bother doing us any favors like they did with man-at-arms. I bet they're already wishing they split him into 2 releases now going off that statement.

It's nice to have refreshes, but the fact that Zodak is already 100% repaint for the same price we pay for a figure that has new sculpting every month is a complete insult. These bonus figures are costing significantly less to produce. I'm sure matty will pump out as many of them as possible to make each sculpt make double the income. I just really hope this will lead to more unique sculpts and not matty just pocketing as much money as possible for the least work possible. This line is doing stupidly well right now. If matty don't pump that profit into it, a lot of the more unique looking characters (like mantenna and the rock people) are never even going to see the light of day
    People don't have to buy every single thing that trickles out of Mattel headquarters. If mattel can make some extra bank by selling some repainted "bonus figures" I say go ahead if that money goes twords making the sculpts of the more detailed figures requiring unique sculps.
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

Quote Originally Posted by jmb410s View Post
    People don't have to buy every single thing that trickles out of Mattel headquarters. If mattel can make some extra bank by selling some repainted "bonus figures" I say go ahead if that money goes twords making the sculpts of the more detailed figures requiring unique sculps.

my worry is that a figure like zodak will be made into 2 figures though. All for the sake of his 2nd head. I can honestly say that I'd buy Zodak without the helmet. But with this zodak figure on the way I'd be paying $20 just for a head unless there's a considerable change with the rest of the figure. Maybe it won't have the tattoos or something?
    Fneh's MOTUC wishlist:
    Spikor, MYP Marzo, Snake Armour He-Man, Stinkor
    Fneh's MOTUC needed list:
    King Grayskull, Beastman, Stratos head

Also, for those who don't know, Mill Creek Entertainment is releasing the MYP series as a complete set. It's coming September 29.

Here's the Facebook fan page:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/p...1858468?ref=nf
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    After Hallmark digitized the library, they destroyed all the masters, so there is no way to go back and make an HD transfer from them.
    Wow, that was amazingly stupid.
    You may have defeated us, but you'll never see this child again!

Quote Originally Posted by Nemescream View Post
    Wow, that was amazingly stupid.
    I agree. Talk about stupid, absurd short sightedness on the part of Hallmark. It would be nice if we could get these in Hi-Def.. at least The Secret of the Sword, if nothing else.

BCI Guy, I have a question. I know that the Filmation Library can't be transitioned into Hi-Def because of this issue. However, if someway, somehow, a Blu-Ray release were to ever occur, would it l benefit at all from possibly having a higher bit-rate than the existing DVDs?

The one thing that I noticed with the classic MOTU DVD sets is that even on a regular, standard-def TV set, right after Cringer turns to Battle Cat and all of those sparks, energy, and (what to me always looked like) popcorn are flying out from behind him, there is some rather noticable digital compression going on there. Would a higher bit-rate Blu-Ray release at least benefit that issue at all?

Heroic Warrior
    With Ram man being one of the main characters in the 80s and this line being called classics, you would presume all the major classic characters would get figures made first and even though I hated his toy back then he deserves to be released a lot sooner than at least another 15 months away

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Well, while it might not be the most earth-shaking announcement, my question was #3, and you can check out this thread HERE to see that at least a few fellow fans were interested in this.

Eh, an ok round of Q and A. At least they are still talking with the fans though.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

If a new He-Man movie ever happens, I expect Warner to go back and consider a Blu-Ray of the Lundgren flick.

Unfortunately there is no point in releasing the Filmation stuff in HD. It can't look any better than what we put out. After Hallmark digitized the library, they destroyed all the masters, so there is no way to go back and make an HD transfer from them.
    Many movies that were digitalized during DVD age were copied in digital format in very high definitions (and used same copy for Bluray release later on, with just higher definition). Compressed DVD format is best they stored it on? I find it rather odd.

I don't know how destroying all the masters of something is ever a good idea
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    I agree. Talk about stupid, absurd short sightedness on the part of Hallmark. It would be nice if we could get these in Hi-Def.. at least The Secret of the Sword, if nothing else.

BCI Guy, I have a question. I know that the Filmation Library can't be transitioned into Hi-Def because of this issue. However, if someway, somehow, a Blu-Ray release were to ever occur, would it l benefit at all from possibly having a higher bit-rate than the existing DVDs?

The one thing that I noticed with the classic MOTU DVD sets is that even on a regular, standard-def TV set, right after Cringer turns to Battle Cat and all of those sparks, energy, and (what to me always looked like) popcorn are flying out from behind him, there is some rather noticable digital compression going on there. Would a higher bit-rate Blu-Ray release at least benefit that issue at all?
    Its unlikely. We only put 6 or 7 episodes on duel-layered discs, so they had plenty of room to breath. What we put on the discs was all there is - that's how they were digitized.

You have to take into account also that the original materials weren't of the highest quality - the show was made on the cheap. Hallmark also had a remastering/clean-up process done to them which removed a bit of detail from the linework. And they were digitized for PAL, not NTSC.

Quote Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
    Many movies that were digitalized during DVD age were copied in digital format in very high definitions (and used same copy for Bluray release later on, with just higher definition). Compressed DVD format is best they stored it on? I find it rather odd.
    There is also a really big difference between transferring a movie that was shot on film and a typical 80s cartoon.
    Last edited by BCI Guy; September 22, 2009 at 03:00am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

And they were digitized for PAL, not NTSC.
    Ok...wow...someone at Hallmark should have been fired over this.
    You may have defeated us, but you'll never see this child again!

i think we really need to look at the Q&As like this.

did we learn something new or were teased with something new from this set of Q&As that we didnt know when they were submitted?

if the answer is yes then it was a success.

as long as we keep getting these and we all submit questions we will be better off then the YEARS of silence we had since the 200x series(and even during the 200x series)
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Yeah, the He-Man cartoon from the 80's were probably on 1" masters. It's one thing to be able to go back to film and re-transfer the negative or prints to a new HD format (whether it's on a nHDCam, an HDCam SR or a D5), but you don't have the same luxury when it's a cartoon made for TV from the 80's.