103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Grim n' Gritty

57 55.34%
  • Bright n' Colorful

46 44.66%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grim n' Gritty or Colorful?

Evil Witch of Metternia Met-Hild's Avatar
    I'm surprised nobody brought up the Indiana Jones trilogy yet, because when thinking about the tone of the movie, that's what I thought of first. It's not a comedy, but it's a great lot of fun and quite humorous. The threats feel real and the bad guys can be really frightening, but they aren't totally unbeatable or infallible either. The laughter and the scares are well-balanced for the most part. There's even a nice balance between realism, impossible feats and supernatural fantasy (although MOTU obviously needs a whole lot more fantasy).

As for colors, I think they have to tone down the flashy plastic look a bit. Unless they make it a CGI feature, they'll risk it looking unreal in the wrong way. By this I mean e.g. giving Man-At-Arms bronze armor instead of bright orange, or making Trap Jaw's and Skeletor's skin bluish grey. The key to bringing a fantasy world succesfully on screen is versimilitude. Once you find the tones that feel real, you can make even quite outlandish color schemes work.
    The artist formerly known as Mechthild

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Now also on DeviantArt: http://osmatar.deviantart.com/

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    With it being dark I think more of an audience could take it more seriously.

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    Hmm... "Grim N Gritty" could refer either to the tone of the storyline, or the costumes.

In terms of story, I'd like to see it played pretty dark, but not too serious. Just no Filmation-esque bumbling villains (well, maybe one to lighten the mood, but not all of them!)

If you mean in terms of costumes, I'm not sure. When I think of MOTU, I instantly think of bright, bold designs. One thing I didn't like about 200x was the dulled down, muted colourschemes. But for a movie... I dunno. Maybe a happy medium between the two.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Widget
    I will echo what I read from some others here... LOTR is the best blueprint for the tone and visual of the movie. Swords & Sorcery with doses of humor sprinkled throughout. The dark humorless tones of Batman do not apply here.

Obviously costumes will need to be altered, some more than others. I think He-Man's costume should be more like the Battle Armor He-Man toy rather than the original. Probably no green skin for Man-At-Arms. Some of the vibrant colors would have to be muted in order to make the transfer from animation to live action. Not sure what they'd do with Man-E-Faces if he made it into the film (although I'd like for all the early figures to be there).

Overall, my vote is for colorful over grim & gritty (with respect to tone of the film), but I'm aware that there will be visual changes needed to tone down the color.

Squirrel that can type Lewd_Squirrel's Avatar
    what about colorfully grim & gritty?
    Does Galactus fart?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewd_Squirrel View Post
    what about colorfully grim & gritty?
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Movie mayhem!
    I agree...Grim and gritty but in a colorful way. Is that possible? LOL Like I don't mind it being dark and atmospheric... but utilizing gem tone colors that we are used to seeing... emerald and purple and marigold

I did pick Grim and Gritty but a combination of both is the best way to make it work. You've still got to make the characters look recognizable by their color scheme. Skeletor's Evil Warriors do need character and not snarly, drooling henchmen.

Snappy Threader
    Combo of both!

somewhere between willow and the avengers.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!