• Grim n' Gritty

57 55.34%
  • Bright n' Colorful

46 44.66%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grim n' Gritty or Colorful?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post
    MotU is way too wacky and fun to go all dark and serious. It's all about male adolescent fantasy fulfillment. Any time MotU tries to take itself too seriously= fail.
    When did it try to take itself seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by fantombe View Post
    I agree. The Thing is another great example of "bloke in costume" syndrome!

As you say, nowadays they should be able to do better, in theory, but no matter how good the technology and intentions, some things just don't translate well to the real world.

Maybe by time we get to Fantastic 4 XI they'll have got it right!

(Silver Surfer's another example of godawful to-screen translation based on the trailers, so I think you've hit the nail on the head with your examples there)
    I think it was the backlash from Ang Lee's Hulk that made them make The Thing into a guy in a suit.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; October 16, 2009 at 03:13pm.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    Dark will fail just like the new 2002 cartoon. The bright colors are a big part of the attraction of the action figures. Look how successful the classics line is because its sticking to the original.

Now make it Colorful and a little more serious story, it can work. It worked great for spider-man 1 & 2. I hate part 3 btw

Stick to the story and classics line visuals and just make it a good story, maybe start the movie with the queen landing on eternia from earth, ok now im going to far but colorful way better

I think POTC is the right tone. I mean, the enemies where zombie looking pirates! Very menacing like Master's Villains. BUT, POTC showed we can have them with a bit of humor. I'd like to see Skeletor's horde a little bumbling. Not alot to make them a joke. I want them to be a force to be reckoned with, but if they seem to be a little incompetent and reliant on Skeletor's planning, that would be good.

And the Heroes should have some light personality. He-man is VERY much like Superman. He fights for truth, justice, and good. He smiles and cracks a joke. He's the ultimate boy scout. He's Superman, not Batman. In fact that's why I NEVER could understand why in the 80's Christian groups were anti-He-man (coming from a devout Christian), seeing as how He-man valued most of what Christ taught.

The way I see it, is we've seen He-man and Skeletor battle many times.But this time, Skeletor's doing something worthy of a movie being done about it, so it should be more dire, more dangerous, a larger threat. I don't want to see Heroes and villains getting brutally killed off and murdered etc, but there could be that threat that if He-man and the Masters don't come through, death and horror is in store for Eternia.

Also, I thin CGI would work if it was done ala Beowulf (though not as gritty. Simply the rendering style and realism)
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

Quote Originally Posted by mattnotis View Post
    As previously stated, there needs to be a balance. We can't have characters with bright primary colored outfits and skin. But at the same time we need them to be recognizabled as those characters. They accomplished this in Transformers with Optimus, Jazz and Starscream. They looked different than their cartoon counterparts, but close enough to where you could clearly identify which character they were supposed to be.
    I got to disagree with you there. With the possible exception of Optimus Prime, none of the live-action Transformers were recognisable as the characters.
    Most of them weren't even the right colors!

I also really dislike the "skinless" look they have, with all the wires and parts showing.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    I got to disagree with you there. With the possible exception of Optimus Prime, none of the live-action Transformers were recognisable as the characters.
    Most of them weren't even the right colors!

I also really dislike the "skinless" look they have, with all the wires and parts showing.
    That's interesting. I recognised most of them, and I hadn't seen a Transformers cartoon or handled a toy since the tail end of the 80's!

I know cartoons (and toys) get revamped to fit with the times, but have they really evolved the designs in recent incarnations so much since the 80's? Anyone have a link to a more recent (pre-movie) incarnation? I'd love to see what they've done with them over the years!

Quote Originally Posted by King Tycho View Post
    What kind of movie do you want? Lately dark, grim, and gritty has been the in thing, movies that delve into the psycology of the characters, are "dark", and are shown in drab grays and earthen tones. The Dark Knight is a good example, Lord of the Rings too, though to a much lesser extent. Movies that have humor in short supply, or sometimes no humor at all. Movies not necesarrily you could take your children too.

There are other types though, think Iron Man, or Spider-man, or the original Star Wars. Movies with a healthy sense of humor that might be considered bright and colorful. They aren't as psycological, and certainly not as dark. While they aren't "kiddie flicks" they are something a family can enjoy together.

I should note, I am not asking if you want and adult movie vs. a kiddie movie.

Personally I love filmation, but a movie that replicated filmation would not really hold my interest. It would be to silly and kiddie for me. But, i also don't want the "Dark Knight" take applied to He-Man. The review at latinoreview of Justin Marks script said the movie had not one beat of comic relief, and to me, that itself would leave it to far removed from MOTU to in anyway be part of it. And, i've always thought one of the trademarks of MOTU were the vibrant, bright colors. So many movies today seem to be drab and colorless, and i worry that studios would try this approach to MOTU which I also think will leave it too far removed. So my vote would go for colorful.

Any thoughts?
    So basically you're not really asking for the general terms of the color pallet are you? You're asking if there should be some "lighter" moments in the movie versus a humourless movie.

If you really do mean as far as color pallet, then I think you've missed the mark on your examples. If you remember, the original Star Wars movies were not that colorful. They were very basic color pallets; earth tones, blacks, whites. It's part of what made Star Wars popular. It was one of the first fantasy adventures that presented a view at a "lived in" future. Things were ditty, broken-down, and looked like they had been used before, that things were not fresh off the production line.

The same is true for LOTR. Their world was also presented as lived in. They build a layered world that had thousands of years of history behind it.

Being more muted on a color pallet makes a world more believe-able to modern audiences. Having a bright fresh color pallet takes people out of the authenticity of the world being created.

I think that generally, a more laid back color pallet would work better, but MOTU does have places that open the door for places where you can explore the lighter tones of the property better. For instance, in the Royal Palace. It's a place that could be played as a lighter place in Eternia. It's the bright center of the world. The bright colors of the figures and the Filmation series would be at home here. Also, it would serve as a perfect place for a backdrop for the lighter moments that would make MOTU lighter and feel more like itself.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeofEternia View Post
    So basically you're not really asking for the general terms of the color pallet are you? You're asking if there should be some "lighter" moments in the movie versus a humourless movie.

If you really do mean as far as color pallet, then I think you've missed the mark on your examples. If you remember, the original Star Wars movies were not that colorful. They were very basic color pallets; earth tones, blacks, whites. It's part of what made Star Wars popular. It was one of the first fantasy adventures that presented a view at a "lived in" future. Things were ditty, broken-down, and looked like they had been used before, that things were not fresh off the production line.

The same is true for LOTR. Their world was also presented as lived in. They build a layered world that had thousands of years of history behind it.

Being more muted on a color pallet makes a world more believe-able to modern audiences. Having a bright fresh color pallet takes people out of the authenticity of the world being created.

I think that generally, a more laid back color pallet would work better, but MOTU does have places that open the door for places where you can explore the lighter tones of the property better. For instance, in the Royal Palace. It's a place that could be played as a lighter place in Eternia. It's the bright center of the world. The bright colors of the figures and the Filmation series would be at home here. Also, it would serve as a perfect place for a backdrop for the lighter moments that would make MOTU lighter and feel more like itself.
    I probably should have done two seperate polls, i was kindof asking about both. In terms of tone, I use things like Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean as examples, but not as examples of color palette. SW, and POTC, and LOTR are all bad examples of what i'd like to see in colors. They are all muted in tone, very natureesque browns and grays and blacks. MOTU has always set itself apart with it's vibrant use of colors, particularly primary colors. I want to see that explored, to see the bright reds and blues and greens. The trend these days is to try to sap the color out of movies, and that's very much against what MOTU is. Perhaps in terms of color palette, Spider-Man or Iron Man, or Superman (original movies, not Superman Returns) are the closest examples i can think of.

As far as tone goes, i don't want to see something dark and dour. "Grim and Gritty" is EVERYTHING these days. NOw I love TDK as much as anyone else, but that doesn't mean every movie should strive to be TDK. Even LOTR is to serious in tone for what i'd like from LOTR. SW is the closest i can come to an example of tone (specifically the original movie, and i refuse to use George Lucas' new title, it was released as Star Wars d%$# it!) and the first Pirates of the Carribean as well as Spider-man 1 and Iron Man are fairly decent ideas of the tone i'd like to see too.

I think there's a happy medium that needs to be drawn here if it's going to look like it's a real world. Spiderman, Superman, etc. work fine with their bright original costumes because that's what they are. Costumes.

It doesn't matter that those types of superheros look like blokes in costumes, because that's what their character is, so it looks right. It looks normal.

Fantastic 4 was a great example of this. They literally translated the comics/cartoons to the screen. Three out of four of them looked normal in their costumes, because they were playing people in costumes. Then you come to The Thing, and he looked bluddy ridiculous! At no point did he look like The Thing, he looked like a bloke dressed up as The Thing!

And that's the problem. The characters in Masters of the Universe wear their uniforms/clothes, etc. They don't slip into some nice coloured spandex to go out to war, then slip back into 'regular' clothes.

There's nothing wrong with using a varied colour palette, but there needs to be the right balance between varied and suitably "lived in" (which is probably the best description I've seen in this thread) for people to be able to suspend their disbelief.

Eternia's a "real" world. It's a fantasy world, but it's a "real" world nonetheless. Things fade. Things chip. Things break. If the world is completely vibrant all the time, it'll be very difficult to immerse yourself in the story.

Iron Man is actually a really good example. How they kept the same colour scheme for the suit, but chose a deep red, and a dark gold rather than the traditional bright red and yellow worked really well to keep a sense of realism while being faithful to the traditional design.

Quote Originally Posted by fantombe View Post
    That's interesting. I recognised most of them, and I hadn't seen a Transformers cartoon or handled a toy since the tail end of the 80's!

I know cartoons (and toys) get revamped to fit with the times, but have they really evolved the designs in recent incarnations so much since the 80's? Anyone have a link to a more recent (pre-movie) incarnation? I'd love to see what they've done with them over the years!
    I don't want to get too off topic here, but every year since it's inception Transformers has had a different look and feel, yet still stayed consistent. The Michael Bay movies didn't draw on any of the past 20+ years worth of toy/cartoon designs, instead favouring a skeletal look that just doesn't say "Transformers" to me.

For example, just compare G1 Ratchet to his more recent redesigns-

G1:

Classics:

Animated:

All are recognisable as the same character. Now take a look at what Michael Bay came up with -

Movie Ratchet:

Sorry, but that's not Ratchet, it's not even a Transformer. It's just a random, shapechanging giant robot. Optimus and Bumblebee were the only designs that even remotely resembled their characters.

This is why I don't want Michael Bay anywhere near my beloved MOTU characters.

Again, just my opinion.
    Last edited by RocketPunch; September 8, 2010 at 06:10pm.

As close to realistic considering what we're dealing with would be nice.
    It's great being Lord of the Thundercats - especially hanging out with Cheetara - but the one draw back is that He-Man can still beat me up.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post1993306
    Somewhere In Exo-Squad, a fan art by Matt Tyree (just in case you're curious)

Everything about the toyline itself, that is everything that came from Mattel was grim and gritty. Boxes, comics and stock art, all gritty.

Had Filmation not decided to make the show into a public service announcement, MOTU would've remained gritty.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

I mostly agree with Eamon.

There is absolutely a "color" aspect behind MotU though, and was there in the beginning with the early concepts and box art.

I can't really vote in this poll though as my desired option would be a mix of the two. All in all, I just want good art direction for the movie.
    Not sure I was wild about what I was seeing in the SDCC Art book on the movie concepts.
    Some of it was okay, but nothing really popped out at me that struck me as "It has to be this!" kind of stuff.

I want good, smart use of color.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Well a movie like Watchmen is a good example of being dark and gritty but yet has plenty of vivid colour.
    www.eamonart.com

COLOR! Lots of color! I don't wanna watch He-Man in a Spielberg-esque "Saving Man-At-Arms." You can still blow up lots of stuff and slash things to bits with plenty of color and not worry about it being too kiddie. They (producers/director) need to pick some really good art direction talent here.

Love or hate Transformers, that movie had a balance of bad-assness and comedy (that may be subjective), I don't wanna take He-Man so seriously it feels melodramatic and forced. I read a lot of comparisons to 300 and I get it, but I've already seen 300, I don't want Masters copying that. The same technology, maybe...

There's so much reference material to pull from. We all know what Eternia looks like. We've see the shows, the comics, the old advertising and promotional posters. My guess is that an amalgamation of what we've seen interpreted as something new and exciting is the way to go here.

Granted, this is a different world with some pretty gnarly beasts, but if these heroes and villians can't have a sense of humor and COLOR every now and then I don't believe there's much reason for anyone to bother saving Eternia.

I gotta go with Grim n' Gritty for the movie. The 1987 Movie, even though it was crap (In My Opinion) had the right idea because it was kind of dark. Maybe they could go the way of the movie "300".
    SUPPORTING THE NEW ADVENTURES OF HE-MAN 110%

I don't want it to be dark and depressing like Shylaman's version of The Last Airbender. BLECH! I don't want to sit through 2 hours of a toyline based movie and be depressed. I want the action to be exhilirating, the environments and costumes to be awar winning and appealing, say what you will about the prequels of star wars, but a lot of the sets and vehcile designs stood out Naboo IMO was BEAUTIFUL, I dont'want to see a planet where everything looks the same. a good filmaker knows that colour palettes lend mood to the scene and environment, the royal palace should be bright and colourful, Grayskull should be dark and mysterious, even cold, Snake Mountain should be evil and menacing. Vine jungle should be green and lush etc.

They should have light moments in the movie, because thosemoments make you care for the characters, even in a movie like 300 when you see Leonidas and his Queen, or the bonding of the 300 between battles (even during bttles they had a sense of humour) it makes the characters more appealing.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I want Masters Of The Universe to be the next Star Wars(original trilogy that is)!

I know every fantasy/sci-fi/superhero movie since 1977 has been touted as the next Star Wars, but I want it to be true this time.

* It appeals to kids & adults
    * Has humor in it without getting scatological or becoming a parody
    * Is full of action & drama as well as a sense of fun
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

I just want it to be a better film than the Transformer films.
    It's great being Lord of the Thundercats - especially hanging out with Cheetara - but the one draw back is that He-Man can still beat me up.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post1993306
    Somewhere In Exo-Squad, a fan art by Matt Tyree (just in case you're curious)

The colors should definitely be muted. No bright colors!
    Their should also be some design changes.

For example let's take Man-At-Arms. Here's how I'd do MAA's costume:
    The green portions of the suit should be changed from tights to full body armor, similar to how it was in 200X but without the hi-tech details. For the color a darker green, probably military green, should be used.
    For the orange parts of the suit I'm thinking bronze instead of orange would do quite nicely.
    If not bronze then perhaps a darker, browner orange could be possible too.
    The suit should also be full of dents and scrapes, thus showing age. It helps cement MAA as an old war horse who's seen many battles.
    Fictional characters are just that. Fictional. They have no personality or free will of their own.
    Writers and editors mold them to their own wants and needs.
    All we as the audience and fans can do is pick and choose our favorite interpretation and ignore the rest.

i really think animated would be the way to go... i feell all this live action stuff looks kinda goofy....
    but if its going to live action i say dark..... i feel bright and colorful movie about warriors and beasts will just be total joke....
    but this is coming from a guy who HATES all the disney/shrek "kiddy-like' garbage...
    "I DENY YOU THE NIDUS!!"

Animation does not have a chance for success. Dark and gritty. Hard pg 13 rating.

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    I voted colourful. I kind of want a mix as well tho. I don't see why it can't be serious yet have powerful, otherworldly colours. Sort of like a mix between Filmation and 300, with a little bit of Pan's Labyrinth sprinkled in. Colourwise.

At the end of the day, I want a supremely stylized movie. Make Eternia look like nothing on this Earth!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I want Masters Of The Universe to be the next Star Wars(original trilogy that is)!

I know every fantasy/sci-fi/superhero movie since 1977 has been touted as the next Star Wars, but I want it to be true this time.

* It appeals to kids & adults
    * Has humor in it without getting scatological or becoming a parody
    * Is full of action & drama as well as a sense of fun
    Well said! That's exactly the kind of movie i'm hoping for. The Star Wars films can be actually be fairly violent at times (severed limbs, decapitations), but it has never gotten too graphic.

Plus they're nice and colourful, which is very much the sort of look Masters should have.

Quote Originally Posted by Battle_Brak View Post
    For the story, I feel like parts have to be dark, much darker than a lot of the films mentioned. I mean we have a crew of vicious monsters led by a guy with a skull for a head. You can't handle that with a light touch and have it work. The villains should be dark, twisted, and evil. The heroes should have to deal with dire consequences. MOTU is generally laughed at by the mainstream, and therefore if a film is going to reach a wider audience it has to present itself more seriously than any version that's come before.

I didn't find anything even remotely depressing about any of the POTC movies. If you want something lighter than Pirates 2 then we are operating on entirely different wavelengths.
    Great post. You summed up my feelings. As I've said in other posts, movies like Star Wars, Harry Potter, and Pirates of The Carribean just work. They seem to have (saved for a few Jar-Jar Binks moments) the perfect mix of action, suspense, humor, characterization and color, without going overboard, or feeling utterly, unforgivably stupid. That's what we need from MOTU.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; October 27, 2010 at 01:05am.

I don't thing the tone for POTC or Harry is even remotely in the right direction of MOTU. I don't see them as having very dark moments either.

I'm thinking 300 meets Lord of The Rings with a dash humour.

I had an idea that is completely leftfield but you guys wouldn't go for it. I may bring it up on the podcast.
    www.eamonart.com