Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Teela Video Review!

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar

MOTUC Teela Video Review!

(Quick Note: Sorry guys! JVS3 asked me to restart the thread so I could set up the review, so we're rebooting it this morning. If you commented earlier, please comment again. Thanks! )

I present to you Teela: Warrior Goddess!

http://www.he-man.org/news_article.php?id=1070

Note about the Staff: There has already been debate on whether or not the staff is supposed to be warped or not. I wasn't sure if it was, which is why I mentioned it in the video. I could be wrong, though. I have asked the 4H to shed some light on this for us, and will post their response when I get it.

EDIT: A response from the Horsemen:
    "Hi Dan,
    The Staff is definitely meant to be curved. We were inspired by the vintage card back art, as well as some of the original concept art for Teela. We hope this helps clear things up.
    -Eric
    "
    So there we go. I was indeed wrong, and the staff is meant to be curved. I apologize for the confusion!

Note about Zoar: This Zoar is based on the pre-Filmation version from the original mini comics. A Blue-winged version has already been confirmed to be coming out later down the road. Sorry for any confusion here, and thanks to all who have pointed this out to me!

Thanks for watching! And please, spread the word on this video review!
    Last edited by Pixel Dan; September 22, 2009 at 12:01pm.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

No prob. Is it OK to post the YouTube video as well?
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Awesome review ! PD always stellar work!
    My for sale items:200X moc figures Roboto,Kobra Khan,Syklone,PrinceAdam,Whiplash,Beastman,Rattlor, Man at Arms,Orko,Trapjaw,Two Bad, Buzz Off,etc.Gi Joe 25th anniv moc figures for sale, vehicles, multi-packs, Neca staction figures series 1-6 moc. Castlevania 20th anniversarty Artbook pack $35, Living Dead Dolls, 3' Frankenstein.[/COLOR

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    No prob. Is it OK to post the YouTube video as well?
    Aboslutely! I'm at work right now and can't access YouTube, so if you don't mind, can you post it for me?

As I said in the og thread, gorgeous looking figure! Can't wait to get my hands on it.

That ball joint on the neck is a little worrying though.
    You may have defeated us, but you'll never see this child again!

Something else I should point out:

This isn't something that never even crossed my mind while writing this review, but it's possible that this Zoar is actually based on early mini comic appearances, before it was an alternate form of The Sorceress. This would explain the lack of blue on the wings.

This was pointed out to me by a fellow He-Fan. This is why I love this community...everyone is so knowledgeable!

Five stars for the review. So happy that the very first MOTUC female figure looks so AMAZING!!! Can't wait for it.
    I also think that Zoar looks better with blue streak of feathers.

Great review as always and Teela is sure one beautiful figure!

- Joni -
    "My grandfather had a saying: 'Good news can wait. Bad news will refuse to leave.'" - Commander Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5)

Admin @ The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club
    Join our community at:
    The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club

* My MOTU memories
    * My MOTU collection images

Quote Originally Posted by Nemescream View Post
    That ball joint on the neck is a little worrying though.
    It's the biggest downfallof this figure, IMO. There was one point where I thought I actually snapped the peg, because it made an awful *pop*. It is also so pliable that when you try to pop on a new head, it bends a lot and you really have to push...which is the really scary part. I won't be changing her head much more, that's for sure.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Great review Dan. I noticed "Teela's Theme" for the background of this figure. Nice touch!

MOTUC Teela is the best Teela figure ever.

Good thing I don't really remove heads much. I'll be getting 3 Teela's...one normal, one for The Goddess and one for her original blonde look. If the skin color matches up, I might see how Adora's head looks on Teela to make a blonde Teela.

I wasn't expecting her to be so tall...I betcha that's going to be something fans will want fixed on future female figures. Add Teela to the re-releases to be fixed list along with Stratos and his wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    Something else I should point out:

This isn't something that never even crossed my mind while writing this review, but it's possible that this Zoar is actually based on early mini comic appearances, before it was an alternate form of The Sorceress. This would explain the lack of blue on the wings.

This was pointed out to me by a fellow He-Fan. This is why I love this community...everyone is so knowledgeable!
    I think it is Pre-Filmation Zoar. All he needs is his green armor.

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    Once again, excellent review. Thanks Pixel Dan
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

Is your Teela suffering from reverse forearms, or are her gauntlets suposed to be like that? They seem backward to me. I'll go check out other old picks.

EDIT
    Looks like that's the way it's intended to be. This seems odd to me. I personally don't like it like that but whatever.
    Last edited by nicholighkun; September 22, 2009 at 10:31am.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Great review Dan. I noticed "Teela's Theme" for the background of this figure. Nice touch!
    I was waiting for someone to notice that.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholighkun View Post
    Is your Teela suffering from reverse forearms, or are her gauntlets suposed to be like that? They seem backward to me. I'll go check out other old picks.

EDIT
    Looks like that's the way it's intended to be. This seems odd to me. I personally don't like it like that but whatever.
    It's based on the original packaging art and Mark Taylor's sketches for her.
    Like it or not, they're meant to be that way.

As to Zoar, as others have said, it's the red packaging art repaint. One with blue is coming.

As to the staff? I believe it's meant to be curved, like the old toy, and again, like the old original art.

Great review Dan! I agree, she is the most beautiful female sculpt I've seen in a long, long while on an action figure.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Well, to recap my other post: great review, Teela looks great, staff is supposed to be curved, blah blah blah.

Heroic Warrior
    yah, the staff is curved in all of the promo pics of teela. it seems crazy that they'd promote her with such a noticeable flaw, plus it's a snake staff... leads me to think it's deliberate.

anywho, didn't mattel say they were planning to re-release zoar with the "correct" blue color? i think i remember hearing that around comic-con time, when she was revealed.

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    Hey Pixel Dan! Great review!!!

Is it possible to tell us if there is indeed a hidden articulation point on the torse, by maybe lifting the plastic corset a little bit? I thought that even if the corset made it useless, it would still be there under it.

Many of us are really worried that the Female buck might just end up being a McFarlane-esque statue like torso.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

Yep. It's mentioned above that Blue Winged Zoar is coming.

Sorry guys...didn't meant to cause so much confusion with both Zoar and the staff int he video. Neither thing ctossed my mind while writing the review. I am still waiting on confirmation from the 4H on the staff, though. Once I get official word, I'll update the original post.

Is it possible to tell us if there is indeed a hidden articulation point on the torse, by maybe lifting the plastic corset a little bit? I thought that even if the corset made it useless, it would still be there under it.
    I'll double check tonight, but as far as I remember, there is no articulation whatsoever on the toros. Not even hidden. The corset is the sculpted body. I don't believe it can be lifted.
    Last edited by Pixel Dan; September 22, 2009 at 11:31am.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    I'll double check tonight, but as far as I remember, there is no articulation whatsoever on the toros. Not even hidden. The corset is the sculpted body. I don't believe it can be lifted.
    Exactly as I always said. It was always pretty evident to me that there was no dress. It's just a big sculpted piece of plastic. I must say that Toyguru's remarks about the dress hindering movement and the pics of the prototype made me question that but the gold/white paint blemishes on her "skin" were undeniable. She does look awesome in the review but also quite stiff compared to the other figures.
    JOIN THE GREAT REBELLION - COLLECTOR'S CLUB TODAY!
    http://www.facebook.com/TGRClub

I'm going to snap some pictures after work this evening and post them here.

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Exactly as I always said. It was always pretty evident to me that there was no dress. It's just a big sculpted piece of plastic. I must say that Toyguru's remarks about the dress hindering movement and the pics of the prototype made me question that but the gold/white paint blemishes on her "skin" were undeniable. She does look awesome in the review but also quite stiff compared to the other figures.
    Wrong. The corset cannot be the sculpted body, it's obviously a different plastic used around the collar and breastplate on top of the neck and torso. The whole idea of reusing the same sculpt is that we have an apparently unarticulated torso on which they're adding different 'dresses'. Adora will have a red dress, etc. It wouldn't make sense for Mattel to design a torso for Teela that couldn't be reused for the other figures.

If you still don't believe me, freeze Pixel Dan's review at 6:31, on the profile shot of Teela facing He-man. If you look at Teela's left breast, you'll see the gap between the 'strap' of the armor and the torso, shoulder and neckline. It's definitely two different parts!

Oh well... I'm really disappointed with the fact that Teela won't even be able to move under the dress, 'cause I could definitely have customized her to do so had the articulation been present...
    Last edited by oulala; September 22, 2009 at 11:58am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

Thanks a lot Dan, great review as always. Thanks for pointing out about the flimsy head peg too.

And what's up with that lovey-dovey pose with Teela and He-Man? lol She really is tall though, she even seems to tower higher above the vintage and 200x figures more than the others do. But that's good, I like my women tall.

Are you expecting to get Zodak?

Heroic Warrior
    Great review thanks

It may be tight, and I could be wrong, but her "dress" has to be a "dress" or in other words, built on or glued on pieces. If they are using that same "body" for Adora.

I'm most confident that her dress and armor are glued on pieces. It's not a solid chunk of gorgeously sculpted plastic.

Again, I could be completely wrong as I've not held a produced fig yet.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash77 View Post

Are you expecting to get Zodak?
    Hopefully soon, yes. He did not come with Teela. I asked Toyguru about it, and he told me that samples of Zodak weren't ready yet, and that he would be sent out once they get him.