Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Paranormal Activity"

Leaving the water on ... Casta in Mystacore's Avatar

"Paranormal Activity"

I'm going to see a special screening of this film in Lincoln, Neb., on Thursday night and all I can say is the trailer looks FREAKY.

www.paranormalactivity-movie.com

It looks very "Blair Witch-y" so I may be in the fetal position the whole time. Has anybody else heard anything about this film or seen any screenings of it?
    "It's a moo point. Kind of like a cow's opinion, it's doesn't matter. It's moo." - Joey Tribbiani.

From Bloody Disgusting:

"I was waiting until it was 100% locked down, but the cat is out of the bag, Oren Peli's hotly anticipated indie haunt film Paranormal Activity (early review) is aiming for a limited release on September 25th from Paramount Pictures. Word has is we'll be seeing some alterations to the festival cut, including a new ending. In the film a young couple suspects that their house is haunted by a malevolent entity. They set up video surveillance to capture evidence of what happens at night as they sleep. Their surveillance and home videos have been edited into the 99 minute feature film "Paranormal Activity"."
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

I would like to go see this, but Ann Arbor is a little out of the way.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Never heard of it before just now, but it looks like something I might like.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Don't let worry kill you, let the Church help"

Sounds interesting and cool. Might have to wait until a DVD release though.

Okay, I saw this film last night and all I have to say is that it is TERRIFYING.

Literally, everyone in the theater was shrieking and screaming. One guy had an asthma attack.

It is a 90-minute mind$#^% that totally plays on your sense of fear and suspense. It was sooooooo intense. Definitely an awesome movie if you enjoy having the ever-loving crap scared out of you - but I won't see it again. I didn't get any sleep last night because I was that freaked out.
    "It's a moo point. Kind of like a cow's opinion, it's doesn't matter. It's moo." - Joey Tribbiani.

Really hoping this gets a wide release soon. Paramount has a money maker on their hands.

Never heard of it. What did you think of it Casta? Also nice to see you on the boards again!!!
    He weeps, for he has but one small tongue, with which to taste an entire world!

Lots of original custom t-shirts and stickers available @ http://www.redbubble.com/people/mightyrain
    Many designs based on Masters of the Universe, Classic video games and random movies/cartoons/movies we all know and love.

Quote Originally Posted by Casta in Mystacore View Post
    Okay, I saw this film last night and all I have to say is that it is TERRIFYING.

Literally, everyone in the theater was shrieking and screaming. One guy had an asthma attack.

It is a 90-minute mind$#^% that totally plays on your sense of fear and suspense. It was sooooooo intense. Definitely an awesome movie if you enjoy having the ever-loving crap scared out of you - but I won't see it again. I didn't get any sleep last night because I was that freaked out.
    Totally curious as to what specifically made people shriek, scream and have asthma attacks.

I want to see this movie SO much! I seriously hope this gets a wider release.
    "Skeletor to King Randor...Skeletor to King Randor. Come in, you royal boob!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rain View Post
    Never heard of it. What did you think of it Casta? Also nice to see you on the boards again!!!
    I thought it was very cool, but I'll probably never see it again. I just got to the point where I can sleep at night again.

I missed you too!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Totally curious as to what specifically made people shriek, scream and have asthma attacks.
    It was very jumpy. You know something is about to happen and they draw it out so you work yourself up over it and then when it does happen, it freaks you out.

In the last two minutes of the film - which I won't spoil here - everyone was screaming and what happened freaked the poor guy out so much he started to hyperventilate wich turned into an asthma attack. I felt bad for him.
    Last edited by Casta in Mystacore; September 29, 2009 at 10:01pm.

This is showing up in more theatres! I now have a chance to see this, without having to drive too much out of the way.

According to the official site...the movie will go wide next Friday, the 16th.

That is cool, Paramount should make some bank on this one.

Seriously, if you are a fan of scary movies, this is a good movie for you. If you are looking for a cheap Halloween thrill, this would also apply. It's pretty cool considering the writer/director only spent $11K, hired no-name actors and shot it in his own house in a week.

Definitely worth seeing.

the movie looks interesting and it has the same buzz the blair witch had when it came out as well.

i 'll see it if the movie plays near me
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Stratos View Post
    According to the official site...the movie will go wide next Friday, the 16th.
    yes it got 1 million demands or whatever. here is an article about it

Who says the general public has no muscle? Horror fans? We're a rowdy and robust bunch. We like what we like and we aren't afraid to cause a ruckus to get what we want. That being said ... you wanted it? YOU GOT IT! Paranormal Activity is now poised to open wide!

Over 1,000,000 people from around the country demanded the film play in their city by logging on to ParanormalMovie.com. In response, Paramount Pictures will release the film nationwide beginning Friday, October 16th.

Tickets for the movie will be on sale via the official Paranormal Activity website by 5pm PST on Tuesday, October 13th. Those who have ‘demanded it’ will get the first alert when tickets go on sale.

“From the very beginning, we put this film in the hands of the fans and we trusted them to tell us where and when it should be seen. We couldn’t be more thrilled by their overwhelming support and we are happy to release the film in every town - big and small,” said Rob Moore, Vice Chairman of Paramount Pictures.

The movie Roger Ebert of The Chicago Sun-Times called “an ingenious horror film. It’s so well made it’s truly scary” is currently garnering 90% on RottenTomatoes.com.

To find show times and to buy tickets in your area, visit the official Paranormal Activity website

EDIT
    Another article i found

After this weekend Paranormal Activity can officially be upgraded from a cult hit in the making to a pop culture phenomenon getting ready to explode. Made for around $11,000 and currently playing on only 159 screens, Paranormal Activity came in fifth at the box office with a - HOLY CRAP! - take of $7,066,000. That is a gargantuan $44,000+ per screen average, more than likely a record for a film on that many screens.

The numbers are estimated by BoxOfficeMojo, and remember, folks, Paramount hasn't even gone wide with the film yet.

The critical reviews and word of mouth have been primarily positive, and even mainstream magazines like Time are beginning to pick up on the fact that the Paranormal Activity freight train cometh
    Last edited by wolf-manj; October 11, 2009 at 07:29pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Awesome! I can't wait to see this movie!

Can't be any scarier than this
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Evil master of... stuff. He-Lurker's Avatar
    I saw it a few weeks back. Really cool, and scary! You should have seen the audiences squirming in their seats!! Glad it got a wide release, and just in time for Halloween

My wife and I just saw this in New York today. Really freaky at times! We jumped out of our seats more than once. I'm glad that they decided not to recast this film as it works perfectly the way it is.

I was really disappointed in this movie. It was Blair Witch all over again for me; all hype for a movie that was just sound effects and annoying "actors" talking. I really don't get people saying this movie is so scary. Not only did I not find it to be so, I started nodding off a few times during the "intense scenes". It reminds me of The Exorcist, another flick people cite as being terrifying. While Exorcist was a great movie, unlike P.A., all it has was a little girl swearing and vomiting. The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre is the only horror movie that I, as an adult, actually find scary.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I was really disappointed in this movie. It was Blair Witch all over again for me; all hype for a movie that was just sound effects and annoying "actors" talking. I really don't get people saying this movie is so scary. Not only did I not find it to be so, I started nodding off a few times during the "intense scenes". It reminds me of The Exorcist, another flick people cite as being terrifying. While Exorcist was a great movie, unlike P.A., all it has was a little girl swearing and vomiting. The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre is the only horror movie that I, as an adult, actually find scary.
    Maybe you just get scared by different things? Or maybe films like Paranormal Activity or Texas Chainsaw Massacre just emphasize different elements of fear/dread, one of which you are more immune to? I also agree that Texas Chainsaw Massacre was a great film and it kept me on edge while watching it, but in no way would I say that I was scared. I never seem to think twice about that film after watching it.

Films like Paranormal Activity have a more lasting effect on me. You may trash the annoying actors and home video feel of movies like this, but I think it adds to the believability factor. The only thing that I found a bit unbelievable about PA was the male actor who seemed to really be pushing things too far at times in light of what was transpiring in the house after each successive night.

Quote Originally Posted by sircory-1 View Post
    Maybe you just get scared by different things? Or maybe films like Paranormal Activity or Texas Chainsaw Massacre just emphasize different elements of fear/dread, one of which you are more immune to? I also agree that Texas Chainsaw Massacre was a great film and it kept me on edge while watching it, but in no way would I say that I was scared. I never seem to think twice about that film after watching it.

Films like Paranormal Activity have a more lasting effect on me. You may trash the annoying actors and home video feel of movies like this, but I think it adds to the believability factor. The only thing that I found a bit unbelievable about PA was the male actor who seemed to really be pushing things too far at times in light of what was transpiring in the house after each successive night.
    That's what it is! People get scared by different things. Like I don't get scared by all the slasher and blood and guts stuff. To me, that's not an horror film makes. I want the emotional scare. The psychological scare. I got those with The Exocist and Poltergeist. With Blair Witch I kept sitting there thinking OK, When will we see Martha Stewart come out showing us how to make those crosses! I did hear though how great that film "Drag Me To Hell' was. Might see the director's cut. But hearing that it and the theatrical cut is the same length. What was changed I wonder?
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

I gotta see this movie!!...I hope I don't get nauseous from all the shaky cam....
    "I must possess all, or I possess nothing" - Skeletor in Masters of the Universe (1987)

My pictures and albums

Feedback #1
    Feedback #2
    Feedback #3

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I don't find any horror movie scary. Jumping as loud noises is not being scared and that's all a film ever does to me. I agree with you on the Exorcist (except about it being a great film). I went to see The Ring on a friend's recommendation that it scared the crap out of him. I was bored to tears.