Thread: Where do the Towers of Eternia Fit With the "Classic" story line?

Where do the Towers of Eternia Fit With the "Classic" story line?

According to Mattel, there is a Story line that has been developed for the Classics line. They say that the story in its entirety won't be revealed until more figures come out and then their individual bios will be like all of the pieces to the puzzle comming together. One thing that has never really fit within any canon that I've seen or heard of is the massive and expensive Towers of Eternia playset. It hasn't even been mentioned in the new stories although its existance was poported to be vital to MOTU. Every story seemed incredibly forced and loosely tied together as though they just wanted enough out there to help sell the idea that kids had to have this set. (It worked of course, when I was a kid collecting MOTU they couldve produced a giant pink starfish and I wouldve begged for it.) But my question is, if Eternia was the pinnacle of the old MOTUniverse, where does it fit now?

By the way, find the wallpaper sized image of the above here:
    http://www.crocco.net/fun/eternia.jpg
    Last edited by Captjhan; June 17, 2009 at 08:20pm.

It doesn't fit in with anything. It's just silly.

Good question! I never realy figured out what that place was supposed to be, since Eternia was the place where Adam was supposed to be from. I liked the idea that the mini comic seemed to send across...something about the towers appearing from nowhere and being of a mystical nature (you know, showing once every thousand years and all that). Personally, I'm linking them to my own personal story. I loved Trap-Jaw's mini comic, 'cause it showed that Castle Greyskull existed in some form on different planes of existance, so I kinda like these towers being tied to that idea.

I dunno how they'll fit into the classics story, though. There is just too little of it in existance right now. I'd say they will probably tie them to He-Ro and Greyskull, though.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

I am glad I'm not teh only one who doesn't quite know where the Towers fit in. I'll bet that MVC had plans of exploring this, but we'll see when the bible hits. As for MOTUC, I am eager to see what Mattel does with it. I also like the notion of the Towers appearing out of nowhere, linking more to the Elders, King Grayskull, He-Ro, and their timeframe.

Perhaps an attempt was made at one point to unite all the forces on Eternia...?
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

The only thing I remember reading about Eternia is that Hordak helped build it, and that it just appeared one day. And that it gave the Sorceress the ability to leave Greyskull, powers intact, without turning into Zoar.

I'm dying to know what it's all about. I'd love to see a speacial release with a box ala King Greyskull made with the Towers. Yup.
    Once you kill the cow, you gotta make a burger
    Positive Trade with : Thehorde,

Defender of the Elders Red Trinity's Avatar
    The Towers are one of my favorite MOTU curiosities. In addition to everything that's been mentioned, we also know the following:

1) In true classic (Filmation) continuity, Castle Grayskull was once the Hall of Wisdom.
    2) The Tower of Grayskull stood long BEFORE Castle Grayskull, yet we don't know if that means it also stood prior to the Hall of Wisdom, since they were one and the same.
    3) The Tower of Grayskull held secrets of good magical power.
    4) King Hiss was had been in the Viper Tower previously, but we don't know if this was the seat of his kingdom, his fortress, or what purpose it once served.
    5) The Central Tower drew power of good and evil from the other two towers and channeled it into whoever entered.
    6) Only the true King of Eternia could enter the Central Tower unchallenged by the lion's gate. (Perhaps that's how King Grayskull gained his power).

I have other theories on how they all fit together, but I'll hold onto them and avoid speculation for now.

I always thought that It would be the focus point of the Powers of Grayskull line had it continued. So He-ro and King Hiss would have fought over control of it as per Skeletor and He-Man with modern day Castle Grayskull. I always thought it pre-dated Castle Grayskull and was somehow lost, then Skeletor and King Hiss managed to resurect it up from the ground again.

Anyway I have the complete playset and it's awesome so I hope they have a place for it in the MOUTC continuity.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Trinity View Post
    The Towers are one of my favorite MOTU curiosities. In addition to everything that's been mentioned, we also know the following:

1) In true classic (Filmation) continuity, Castle Grayskull was once the Hall of Wisdom.
    2) The Tower of Grayskull stood long BEFORE Castle Grayskull, yet we don't know if that means it also stood prior to the Hall of Wisdom, since they were one and the same.
    3) The Tower of Grayskull held secrets of good magical power.
    4) King Hiss was had been in the Viper Tower previously, but we don't know if this was the seat of his kingdom, his fortress, or what purpose it once served.
    5) The Central Tower drew power of good and evil from the other two towers and channeled it into whoever entered.
    6) Only the true King of Eternia could enter the Central Tower unchallenged by the lion's gate. (Perhaps that's how King Grayskull gained his power).
    Where did some of this information come from? I don't remember most/any of this?

Honestly I never liked the Towers. perhaps its based on the fact it was way too expensive for me to even dream about.... or maybe because it took all the attention away from Grayskull being the seat of ultimate power.

Also whenever you deal with a snake mountain tower and a grayskull tower it always results in the two castles being entirely too close together to make any sense. Like the picture provided. Grayskull and Snake mountain can't be that close without looking silly, and I always pictured the two towers to be extensions of the respective bases.

As for MOTUC continuity, I imagine it to be tied in with He-Ro and the overlords of Trolla somehow..... Because those wacky trollans seemed involved with everything!

Defender of the Elders Red Trinity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Where did some of this information come from? I don't remember most/any of this?
    All the information about the towers was in the minicomics.

The fact that the Hall of Wisdom became Castle Grayskull was used in several early story books and explained in depth in the Filmation series bible.

I'm not sure why, but I've always seen the Towers as part of the end cycle of Eternia. Most myths are a repeating cycle, Ragnarok, Gotterdammerung, whatever you want to call it, even Skeletor in the movie makes reference to the cycle of death and rebirth, to which I saw the Towers as the key part of Eternias cycle.

This fits in the pseudo-operatic elements of MOTU, that the forces of good and evil had grown in both numbers and power to reach a cataclysmic point, to which the towers become a focal point which ultimately results in utter annihilation of both sides and a return to peace and whatnot. He-man even seems to alude to a similar conclusion to the Sorceress in the "Powers of Grayskull" minicomic. In fact, one could take elements from the recent Matrix movies, in that the Towers could be like 'The Source', where the unique powers of the champions are ultimately expressed, decoded, and stored, artificially ending the conflict. This would explain why one who enters the center tower becomes more powerful or goes through a powers evolution. Additionally this explains the start of the minicomics, with these broken and seperate tribes of people who possess no technology whatsoever while living in a world that has bastions of ubertechnology like Castle Grayskull. Another aspect is that we only know of two occurences of the Towers being around, once during Preternia and then in the recent "present".

Obviously at some point in the past, something truly catastrophic happened: The land of Giants vanishes, the Dinosaurs go extinct, the Snakemen are sealed away, The Horde vanish, He-Ro passes on (or changes names) to such a degree that no one knows his name or of his powers in the future, and life is virtually completely changed to the point where those elements become fairy tale myths, rather then serious history. Heck, the entire planet goes through a name change from Preternia to Eternia! Then in the "present" we again see a major culmination of factors, the Snakemen are again present, the Horde have returned, peace is long gone and the planet is nearly completely consumed in war by He-man and Skeletor (or will be in time); it doesn't take a major stretch of logic to realize that with the return of the Towers and the major escalation that things were building to a head that would again result in either obliteration or major change of way of life of all on Eternia. This particularly explains how two intergalactic empires vanished practically overnight if the Towers don't just end the cycle on Eternia, but in all the cosmos; the Snakemen in the minicomics were ruthless masters of multiple galaxies and were rivals with the Horde, who must've been similarly positioned, yet are mostly a forgotten mythical threat in the future. Even the snakemens language had completely altered to a point where it was unreadable to Kobra Khan, not just different, not another language, but the same language has so completely changed that Khan couldn't even begin to decipher it (Granted Khan is likely not to be a great mind of the snake people, but still). Both faction leaders survived the change by cheating (intentional or not) at the end of the previous cycle. Hordak and his key followers were locked in another dimension while King Hiss and his loyal soldiers holed themselves up in the pit in Snake Mountain outside of the norms of the universe (King Hiss comments that he did not age, but lived on in the pit. Hordak is either extremely long lived or time in Etheria runs different to time on Eternia).

Take a look at the above picture and tell me it doesn't seem like it's setting up the apocalypse!

Personally, I think NA blew an opportunity in the beginning of the series of not portraying an aftermath with Eternia having suffered through it's end times and restarting to a new cycle, one which He-man and Skeletor were the only survivors and realizing that Eternia was no longer for them (Or perhaps more interestingly, were exiled from) and moved on into space.

Laughably, the Towers are a greater mystery then any other element of MOTU lore, even Castle Grayskull, including that it:

Predates every other structure on Eternia.
    Is filled with extremely advanced "brand new and unused" technology

Ignoring what else we know, these two points supports my idea that the Towers represent the end of an iteration and will usher in a new one.

As for it's role in MOTUC, I honestly don't know.
    Last edited by Pravus Prime; June 23, 2009 at 07:33pm. Reason: Spelling Error
    Matty, Great Black Wizard figure please!

Bravo Pravus, its been a while since someone introduced an idea about MOTU that I'd never heard of, but yours is very interresting. It had never occurred to me that there would even be a "Ragnarok" like event but I guess it stands to reason that on a planet with so many temples and monuments that there is also religion and therefore could likely be a doomsday scenario. Very Deep when we start thinking about theology on Eternia, Pravus. I guess since MOTUC is an Adult Collector's line we can make the stories a little less shallow and include such themes.

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    I Love the Towers, Its taken me so long to assemble mine from all over the world. And id love it to be linked in to the MOTUC lore/Bios in a more cohesive way. cant wait to see what they come up with! I trust em...they won me over with the 'Sword Of He'!
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Well, I think I remember in the Buzz-Saw Hordak mini comic, that he raised the Towers from beneath the ground and tried to gain their power. He did state he had a hand in building them. Upon trying to enter the main tower, the tower rejected him and that is how he gained the buzz-saw attack.

There was further information in the mini-comic, "The Ultimate Battleground" too, but I don't remember it off the top of my head.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I hope they do include the 3 towers, I want to know more!

Pravus Prime, you came up with a great idea for the story of the towers. As a child i simply dismissed the towers as pretty much ordinary buildings lol. The green tower was just another part of Greyskull, Viper tower was the Snakemens base, part of their empire still standing that had not been used by anyone for years untill King Hiss returned. The main tower was just a temple. Like the temple of the sun or the faceless ones temple.

Heroic Warrior
    I want to see the 3 towers used in the MOTUC continuity.

I loved the 3 towers.

The Snakemen need a headquarters. Viper Tower is perfect for that.

Give us info on the towers!!!

Darth Bong

Geeze, Pravus, you're a genius! I've been working with the past technology bit for awhile now, trying to create a past (and always some way for the past to be wiped away quickly enough to get rid of the people but leave thier tech) and you come up and add it all together using the towers in a theory that is right up my alley. I love it! It gives the whole story a finality and makes it feel like one of those "most important events in the universe", like David Eddings' series of the Belgariad and the Mallorean. Man, what a great plot for a new movie, or even better, a trilogy!

Great, great idea man! I've gotta work that in to my own stuff somehow.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Unable to gain entry to Central Tower (and consequently, access the power of both Grayskull and Viper Tower from which the Central Tower draws), Hordak cast the Spell of Separation (resigning to access only the power of Viper Tower). Unable to control the spell, Hordak sinks the Eternia Towers (which straddle the light and dark hemispheres). This causes the Elders to take residence in Hall of Wisdom, and the Snakemen to take residence in Snake Mountain.
    Last edited by Adam_Prince of Eternia; March 28, 2010 at 06:33pm.

Pravus, that's a great concept. It reminds me of the Conan backstory, of how Robert E Howard explain Conan's world to come into existance. Great nations rose in the past only to fall after a cataclysmic event (Atlantis falling into the sea) and the old civilizations de-volving back to pre-human roots only for new civiliaztions to evolve and cover the face of the earth.

If you look at Howard's concept, the Hyporborean world would then de-volve again after Conan's time and emerge as human society as we know it.

If we work upon Pravus' thesis for the towers then, they could have been a part of this downfall. Their appearance could be the "event" that starts the downfall of society upon the world, or possibly through the whole universe.

Moving forward with that idea we'd figure that Hordak and King Hiss are holdovers from ancient Preternia before it's fall. That would mean, to me at least, that the re-appearance of the towers in Eternia signals another fall of civiliaztion which would end with the end of Eternia and both He-Man and Skeletor being flung into the future that would emerge after Eternia's fall creating the NA.

Honestly, I'd never actually herd of the towers before I started visiting this site, and even since hadn't been able to place the towers within the mythos, but Pravus has come up with a very intriguing idea here.

Heroic Warrior
    my opinion is the towers are just simple representations of castle greyskull and snake mountain. But they are nothing more than track supports for the little spacecraft. The center piece is just a cool looking eternia style fortress which has no real meaning either but reminds me of the thundercats cat's lair for some reason. Your supposed to pretend that each structure is miles apart and that it's a vast world of eternia.

I agree. Excellent story Pravus!

I really like Pravus Prime's idea of the emergence of the Towers as sign of Eternia's Apocalypse/End of Days. Although I'm not a big fan of the faith (and am not intending to spark a debate or discussion about it), I think a distant comparison to some elements of Christianity, the Bible, primarily the Book of Revelations would add some great depth to the MOTU mythos. The line's called Masters of the Universe and I consider myself in the camp to shy away from calling any one group Masters. The I basically see this whole property in justification for its moniker is because all of the characters are "masters of the universe" given the fact that their actions help determine the balance of the universe dependent only on what they fight for, what they strive for and what is ultimately at stake.

This hypthesis about the towers' appearance is particularly interesting due to the fact that you could compare it to the different signs of the coming apocalypse in biblical terms. Again, not trying to start a debate on the who, what, when, why, where and how of it all in terms of faith, but this type of element is prevalent in that particular religion. Also, you have the symbolic use of the number three and we've got three towers with a playset. He-Man and Skeletor also vie for power in the Tri-Solar galaxy throughout the NA storyline. Of course in both instances He-Man is the utmost source of heroism and goodness while Skeletor is his evil, diabolical counterpart. There's some acute elemental similarities to christianity right there.

There's some other great mythical/spiritual elements with MOTU as well with the Teela/Sorceress relationship being akin to the Phoenix. The Goddess has almost turned into somewhat of a Lady of the Lake much like the legends of King Arthur with what has been revealed in her bio. In almost any faith of the world, a cycle is what is always revered to be the basis of all life. It can be scientifically proven to a point with our solar system, seasonal changes and everything else that appears and operates cyclicly. Although this is just a small brick atop of Pravus' notion, the monorail itself could further symbolize this idea. Although it's not a perfect circle, it does twist, turn and wind in different directions maybe as a way to signify the vast turmoil and radical changes the planet and its inhabitants have endured, currently experience and what they will go through.

I would find it interesting if we learned beings from Primus or some other planets in the Tri-Solar galaxy constructed the Central Tower, I wouldn't be surprised if the Cosmic Enforcers or Trollans could've had a hand in it as well. The reason Primus' involvement would be so interesting is because we would have a point where this saga of He-Man begins and comes right around to land in the ending. Thus, we would have ourselves another element in circular theme being presented.

If elements like this are considered and utilized in future media (especially a movie) this could show the average consumer He-Man can be more than a campy cartoon, more than just some kid's toy, or the butt of homosexual jokes. I'm certain those same stigmas would exist regardless, but taking the MOTU mythos under this kind of care would definitly give it an incredible shot of dignity in its arm that I'm certain wouldn't be turned down.

Man, I'm such a dork!

...But a dork with some excellent points!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!