Thread: Corrected Filmation ankle joint now exists..

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar

Corrected Filmation ankle joint now exists..

From my post on the Trappy thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    I've been looking intently into the ankle joint, and the gap we see on He-Man is NOT there. The bottom of the lower leg basically meets the top of the round drum that fits into the foot as it should. It is a different piece than the one used on He-Man. That bizarre little extra piece of rectangular plastic is not there separating the disk that fits vertically into the lower leg and the roller that allows the ankle tilt. It's not the prettiest joint you'll ever see, but it is correct this time, like the picture we saw of the He-Man sample on ebay. If this was used on He-Man, there would have been no ridiculous gap in the ankle. So from here on there is no excuse for something like He-Man; the correct ankle piece exists right here on this figure, so there's no reason to ever use the other one again.
    Since this was such a big issue, I thought a separate thread was warranted now that the corrected joint piece does actually exist, and I wanted to highlight that for anyone from Mattel who happens by here. I'm just hoping this piece isn't part of the dedicated Trapjaw molds, meaning that any figure using the standard He-Man molds might still have the faulty ankles. Has anyone posted about this over on Matty yet?
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

From my post on the Trappy thread:

Since this was such a big issue, I thought a separate thread was warranted now that the corrected joint piece does actually exist, and I wanted to highlight that for anyone from Mattel who happens by here. I'm just hoping this piece isn't part of the dedicated Trapjaw molds, meaning that any figure using the standard He-Man molds might still have the faulty ankles. Has anyone posted about this over on Matty yet?

Scott I hate to put a pin in your balloon but the reason the ankle looks great on Trap Jaw is because it was always designed for him. He-Man may have been the first figure released in the sub but they used the ankles designed for trap jaw on him which is why there was a huge gap. I believe Trap Jaw was designed first and untill He-Man went into production Mattel didn't realize the ankles were not going to be universal. So now Mattel is working to correct the ankles for the standard figures like He-Man, skeletor, Beast man, Clawful & Evil Lyn. Also They will make sure any new 2017 Club Grayskull figure offerings have corrected ankles.
    Looking forward to a very bright 2016 with MOTUC Collectors Choice, He-Man and the Masters Of the Universe animated Filmation line, Thundercats & SNAKE MOUNTAIN

Heroic Warrior
    Post comparison pics of the two side by side scott

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    Scott I hate to put a pin in your balloon but the reason the ankle looks great on Trap Jaw is because it was always designed for him. He-Man may have been the first figure released in the sub but they used the ankles designed for trap jaw on him which is why there was a huge gap. I believe Trap Jaw was designed first and untill He-Man went into production Mattel didn't realize the ankles were not going to be universal. So now Mattel is working to correct the ankles for the standard figures like He-Man, skeletor, Beast man, Clawful & Evil Lyn. Also They will make sure any new 2017 Club Grayskull figure offerings have corrected ankles.
    It is NOT the same piece. It's hard to see with the way the lip comes over each side, but when you pull the foot down, you can see it is a differently constructed part than the one used on He-Man:

He-Man: The part connecting the bottom of the leg to the foot has basically three parts. There is the round vertical disk that goes up into the slot in the leg. Below this is a small rectangle of plastic (this is where the gap comes from). Then the rectangle attaches to the cylindrical tube that fits into the foot running parallel to the disk above.

Trap Jaw: Same disk fitting into the leg, but the disk attaches DIRECTLY to the cylinder in the foot. I can see NO rectangular piece between them at all, meaning the gap is not there.

joint.jpg

The above is a quick illustration of what I'm talking about. The first one is He-Man, the second what I'm seeing on Trap Jaw.

If anyone else has the figure in hand, take his foot, bend it down, and look carefully into the space between the foot and the leg. You will see the bottom of the disk fading directly into the cylinder. Then look at He-Man's joint, and see if it doesn't look different.

I'll try to take a pic tonight, but it may to be hard to get a close, clear picture.
    Last edited by scott metzger; April 20, 2016 at 11:26am.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

I'm not sure Scott it kind of looks the same as the he-man one to me It is difficult to get a decent picture though.

Quote Originally Posted by felgekarp View Post
    http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...psb5f5txoy.jpg

I'm not sure Scott it kind of looks the same as the he-man one to me It is difficult to get a decent picture though.
    Yeah, it isn't easy to see, but you've got the area I was looking at. Right where it's shadowed there, where disk meets foot, is where it looked to me like it went right into the cylinder with no extra plastic between.

TBH..........

Only GOD, Yes Its You "Grumpy Old Drag.............. No, WAIT !

Only Filmation Skeletor Can Answer This (Since He Will Be The Next Figure In Club Grayskull) !!!!
    Last edited by TUC138; April 20, 2016 at 03:24pm.
    In My Canon, Skeletor Has No Duck Feet !!!

Yeah, it isn't easy to see, but you've got the area I was looking at. Right where it's shadowed there, where disk meets foot, is where it looked to me like it went right into the cylinder with no extra plastic between.
    Scott, doesn't the shadow itself show that there is a gap between the black curve of the foot and the magenta curve of the ankle?

Looks the same to me..TJ hides it better. They likely had correct ones for He-Man, but an error caused his final tooling to use the TJ ones. I guess we'll see what they do about it with a reissue and Skeletor.
    Recent.... HATMOTU Skeletor
    Coming....
    Wanted.... Filmation Mer-Man, Teela & Sorceress
    Considering....
    Needed.... MOTUC Lord Masque

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

The ankle joint on my Flimation Trap Jaw looks the same as Filmation He-Man. There's totally a gap. The had perfect ankle rockers on Teela in 2009, why can't they make something like that seven years later?

Advocating for a New Adventures Mini-Sub!
    I haven't received my Trap-Jaws yet, so I can't do any direct comparisons, but if this is true:

Then it would solve 90% of the problems with this new ankle articulation...

Now I'm even more excited to get my Matty delivery...
    Masters of the Universe and ThunderCats - together for the first time! Pure AWESOME!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Here's a picture of mine. The magenta part of the boot definitely is not flush with the black ankle joint and there is gap very similar to what my Filmation He-Man has.

IMG_20160420_203953.jpg

Teela is a perfect example of them doing it right.

IMG_20160420_204556.jpg

Okay, got bleary eyed looking at it last night, and I finally figured out what's going on. The joint part is the same on both; it looks different on first glance because of the way the bottom part of the lower leg comes down. Here's the two best pics I could take:
    boot1.jpgboot2.jpg

The difference seems to be that, even if you discount the lip of the boot coming down over the outside of Trappy's ankle, the inside part you can see in the photo comes down farther over the top part of the ankle joint, amking the gap there smaller. The bottom of He-Man's leg doesn't come down far enough to cover the disk part; it's too short and curves inward as it goes down toward the ankle, accentuating the gap even more.

So I was wrong about the part that's the problem; it's not the joint part, it's the bottom of the leg that literally falls short. If it came down and ended flat, not sloping inward, just above the curve you can see in the cylinder part, it would take care of a lot of the big gap. It means they need to fix the He-Man boot, but I'm not sure what the Skeletor boot will look like in finished form. Any recent pics of that which show the ankles off well?
    Last edited by scott metzger; April 21, 2016 at 09:33am.

Now, We really NEED a Club Grayskull Boots Pack !!!

Seriously Guys...... I am not joking !!!

He-Man, Trap Jaw, Skeletor & Beast Man Boots Pack !!

$10.00 Per Set ! Problem Solved !!!
    Last edited by TUC138; April 22, 2016 at 02:38am.
    In My Canon, Skeletor Has No Duck Feet !!!

Advocating for a New Adventures Mini-Sub!
    Quote Originally Posted by TUC138 View Post
    Now, We really NEED a Club Grayskull Boots Pack !!!

Seriously Guys...... I not joking !!!

He-Man, Trap Jaw, Skeletor & Beast Man Boots Pack !!

$10.00 Per Set ! Problem Solved !!!
    ....... or shipped to subscribers for free since we've been given a product that clearly is not what it should be. Mattel even admitted to knowing that these ankles were not good, but didn't want to delay the line so they shipped faulty products instead... way to go Matty!
    Masters of the Universe and ThunderCats - together for the first time! Pure AWESOME!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Even if the gap was fixed, that would just be one problem. The other problem with these new ankles is that the foot rests a little lower than it should. It makes his lower legs look stretched/elongated.

They could have just given them the original ankle piece and given Icer's feet to He-Man and Keldor's feet to Trap Jaw and they would have looked just fine.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal