Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So will fans really boycott Panthor if he isn't flocked?

Quote Originally Posted by He-Ryno View Post
    I hate getting kicked in the nuts
    As do I, especially when it`s Mattel doing the kicking!!

I don't care if he's flocked or not…it's Panthor! I'll get him either way!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Heck no! I want him flocked, but if he's not he'll still be awesome.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    I deflocked my Panthro, so I'll get him either way. Skeletor needs his mount too.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Heroic Podcaster
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Ryno View Post
    I'll get him flocked or unflocked. I prefer unflocked for articulation sakes.
    This is exactly how I feel.

I still feel that the 80s Panthor was flocked only to make him 'different' than a simple BC repaint. Mattel worried parents wouldn't buy the thing if they felt they had already bought it for the kids once before. Reusing parts for the figures is easier to hide - not so much with the relatively giant cats.

I was glad Moss Man got some flocking but would like Panthor to be unflocked. A few shades of purple for detailing's sake and he would look terrific.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I will humbly reserve my decision until I see the final product. There is still too much rampant speculation for me to make an informed and rational decision (What? Logic here?! Nonsense!). Once the Panthor is unveiled in his physical form then I will decide if I will purchase him. I would prefer him to be flocked but if it cannot be done for articulation's sake then I understand. I won't like it but I will understand. Then I will take a look at the unflocked and painted version to see if it does Panthor justice. If it does then I will buy him. If not, then I won't. For me, it's as simple as that.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Why cant they just make everyone happy and just do him PARTIALLY flocked like possibly with Mossman?

I'm getting Panthor, glad he's unflocked.

And I'm guessing after the problems they had with Moss Man they won't even try to flock him, they'll just take their chances that people will buy him anyway.

I'll get Panthor either way. Sure, a non-flocked one losses some of the nostalga from the vintage and 200x Panthors, but as long as he is a dark purple that is the same color as the original flocking, I won't be as disappointed, especially since it seems the fur is sculpted.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    Theres no way they will release him non flocked, 200X was even flocked. It would be a kick in the nuts to classic fans everywhere if Panthor doesn`t get the flocking treatment
    Sorta like how it was a kick in the nuts to 200X fans when Zodak is made from He-Ro and Hordak parts? Be thankful we're getting Panthor, just like the 200X fans are thankful Zodak even made it to the line this early.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTripper View Post
    Ack! I think my heart just died a little.
    Sorry dude! No, they are cool, I'm just more of a "figure" guy.

I do like the 200X versions very much but they were less than half the price of these new ones.

I'd actually prefer a non-flocked Panthor.....
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Quote Originally Posted by Mosstree View Post
    Why cant they just make everyone happy and just do him PARTIALLY flocked like possibly with Mossman?
    A partially flocked Panthor would like he has mange.

I'm fine with un-flocked. It would be fun if he was flocked, but I'm fine either way. I just want him to have a different saddle/armor from Battle-Cat!
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

They should stick with the classic concept and flock him. I'm not sure if I skip him when he's not flocked, but I really hope Mattel reconsiders their decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosstree View Post
    A partially flocked Panthor wouldn't look right, he would have to
    be fully flocked. I think Mattel can appease everyone by simply
    giving them a choice by releasing both a fully flocked
    version and an un-flocked version. I honestly don't see why they
    can't atleast try to meet fans half-way while at the same time still
    saving some money.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Toyguru came to the October Q&A thread and set us straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    Yarg. I'd better jump in here. Haven't seen everyone focus on just one answer so much, especially with so many other good questions!

To clarify, yes, we did indeed let fans at SDCC 2009 "vote" on the flocking of Panthor. The vote was about 60/40 in favor of an unflocked Panthor. And we did tells fans at the con that due to the close vote, we would look into doing a flocked and and unflocked Panthor. And we did that.

Now that we have looked into it as promised, and seeing the difficulty we are having flocking Moss Man, flocking Panthor just won't work out. The reason the 80's version worked well is that there was no articulation. The Battle Cat tool is riddled with awesome articulation and flocking technology just has not changed in the last 40 years. It just doesn not work with highly articualted figures. The flocking falls off when joints are moved. Period.

But in the end, we are not ready to move on any "large scale" beasts beyond Battlecat until we see how BC performs. So Panthor is not even slotted in the line yet. So no reason to jump the gun. Perhapes when and if we get to Panthor we could re-release him in a flocked version, but the first release will indeed be unflocked.

We will continue to listen to fan demand and suggestions, but in the end, putting out quality produdct is our first priority. I don't think anyone wants a Panthor who's flocking falls off after ten minutes of posing.

TG
    Panthor isn't even on the horizon yet.

TG said the first Panthor we get will be unflocked. We might get a Panthor re-release with the flocking later on.

I guess there's no more reason for this thread to exist, since now we know the official word.

FLOCKED or nothing for me. I really don't need a repainted cringer. I need him like the original... flocked.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Precisely. You can get away with the patchy flocking on Moss Man by looking at it as patches of moss. Doing so on Panthor would make him look like a mangy alley cat who lost a scrap with a junkyard dog.

You can't do the proper flocking without having sizable gaps in the joints, something that wouldn't allow re-use and would look fairly crappy overall. The 2002 version had only the most basic articulation, nothing like knee or ankle joints, so comparing a fully articulated version to that one doesn't work.

I honestly don't see any other way it could work and not look terrible. And I don't want to loose the added leg joints or any other movement they give the cats just to make him fuzzy. I understand the nostalgia (my Panthor was a Christmas gift from my grandmaother, so I have a real fondness for the old version), but this is the way to go here.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

i'd prefer panthor without flocking. i like my toys to have full use of their joints without the flocking coming off and as far as spot flocking goes, bci guy nailed it on the head. it's bad enough he's got practically zero back story .i don't need panthor to look disease-ridden on top of that.

Movie mayhem!
    Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    A mange panthor kinda makes sense though. Honestly though I think a partial flock could still work. Many big cats have areas around their joins where their hair is rubbed off or shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Precisely. You can get away with the patchy flocking on Moss Man by looking at it as patches of moss. Doing so on Panthor would make him look like a mangy alley cat who lost a scrap with a junkyard dog.

You can't do the proper flocking without having sizable gaps in the joints, something that wouldn't allow re-use and would look fairly crappy overall. The 2002 version had only the most basic articulation, nothing like knee or ankle joints, so comparing a fully articulated version to that one doesn't work.

I honestly don't see any other way it could work and not look terrible. And I don't want to loose the added leg joints or any other movement they give the cats just to make him fuzzy. I understand the nostalgia (my Panthor was a Christmas gift from my grandmaother, so I have a real fondness for the old version), but this is the way to go here.
    You could be right, besides, the Battle Cat sculpt appears to have
    some terrific detailing, with stellar paint application an un-flocked
    Panthor has some great potential. I'm not expecting a new head
    sculpt but that would be an added bonus to make up for not flocking.

Panthor isn't especially essential to me so it will largely depend on how much I like Battle Cat and how he looks... flocking isn't a deal-breaker for me.

a decent paintjob could simulate the flocking. maybe a combination of non-glossy and "metallic" paint to create a flocked like effect.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Eternian Historian of Art Lex_Alfa's Avatar
    No. I'm buying it unflocked, I even wanted him unflocked, what is weird, because I always prefer the 80's characteristics, but for Panthor... to much fur spoils the stew XD
    Behold the gaseous stench of Skeletor's breakfast burrito!
    Robot Chicken dixit