Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 454

Thread: Barbarian He-Man Thread ( Official Oo-Larr )

  1. #76
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,710
    Quote Originally Posted by Teela-Na View Post
    You can't get much more original than Barbarian He-Man. He is the very first appearance of the character.
    Agreed!

    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post

    Karak Nul (Scareglow before he died) will probably be a villain that one of the pre-Adam He-Men will fight... as will Prahvus, and Count Marzo maybe..
    See, I'm starting to wonder if Karak Nul (Scareglow) is maybe the Skeletor character from the first minicomic that the savage He-Man battles! "All those attempts to get into Castle Grayskull."
    Eh?
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

  2. #77
    Heroic Italian Warrior PaoloKr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    The Ionian Sea
    Posts
    6,896
    Another He-Man variant???
    Not for me...
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...

  3. #78
    Odysseus the Cunning Ulisses31's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ιvora Portugal
    Posts
    1,356
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Imagine being a fan of the original B&W Eastman and Laird comics, then seeing the TMNT in the Fred Wolf cartoons yelling "Turtle Power", eating pizza and fighting idiot villains? Or it's like being a comic book Batman fan...and the most famous incarnation is "Na-na, na-na, na-na, na-na, Batman!"
    I know the felling... that TMNT fan is me...
    Now available for commissions.

    Subscribe to TMNT Redesign Challenge News,
    if you want to be update to every The Technodrome Redesign Challenge.

    Check my customs at Figure Realm
    Deviantart - http://gomes31.deviantart.com/
    www.facebook.com/Ulisses31Omega
    www.facebook.com/PauloGomesArt
    If you cannot convince them, confuse them. - Harry S Truman

  4. #79
    Johan Eggink Eterniandreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    4,558
    Quote Originally Posted by nato View Post
    I just think it's silly to have basically the same character with a minor adjustment (bare feet and different hands). It's like Hasbro re-releasing characters with different poses. I mean, really, how many different Darth Vaders in different poses does someone really need?

    I'm cool with them releasing it for the people that like it.......only if it's a bonus figure. That would be a month where I wouldn't have to worry about ordering.
    But is not the same character. Read the Goddess Bio.

  5. #80
    Teela's Cup Barer Teela-Na's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    962
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    Agreed!

    See, I'm starting to wonder if Karak Nul (Scareglow) is maybe the Skeletor character from the first minicomic that the savage He-Man battles! "All those attempts to get into Castle Grayskull."
    Eh?
    That's what I said in the Scareglow review thread:

    I know it says "evil ghost serving Skeletor", to avoid confusion that arose from the original title that he's Skeletor's ghost, but what if he were? His bio says that he was a bounty hunter named Karak Nul who was obsessed with breaking into Castle Greyskull. If the mini comics are being retconned now, with that original He-Man (or at least the Alcala savage He-Man) being someone other than Adam, what if that mini comics Skeletor were actually Karak Nul? That mini comics Skeletor was always obsessed with breaking into Castle Greyskull as well. It would have fit in nicely with him being the "ghost of [a] Skeletor" instead of simply serving Skeletor. Also it would explain why he has skull-like features similar to that mini comics character.
    Bikini Teela: Hottest version ever!!

  6. #81
    Impin' Ain't Easy! DreamTripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Wichita, Kansas
    Posts
    3,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Teela-Na View Post
    You can't get much more original than Barbarian He-Man. He is the very first appearance of the character.
    Exactly! This is what He-Man was meant to be, before Filmation got ahold of him. Not that I'm knocking Filmation. I love every incarnation of He-Man. That's one reason I love this line so much. It actually can be everything to everybody.


    I'm also a huge fan of every incarnation me TMNT... Except for the craptacular Archie Comics version.
    Last edited by DreamTripper; October 7, 2009 at 10:50am.

    Support Bili the Droid
    It's GrAyskull. It's posted all over the packaging and this site.
    CANON-the body of rules, principles, or standards accepted as axiomatic and universally binding in a field of study or art, such as a storyline
    CANNON-a mounted gun for firing heavy projectiles; a gun, howitzer, or mortar.

    Imp is here!
    I will change my avatar as soon as Songster is made in MOTUC

  7. #82
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,075
    I am pleasantly surprised by the focus on the barbarian origins of the Masters canon in the Classics. I like the idea of a barbarian He-Man figure, but with just a hint of caution, because we know too many variants are bad.

    It's actually rather cheeky to already be reissuing He-Man with a new paint job when they should have got the first one right. I hope the barbarian He-Man will be sufficiently different.

    Would it be a good thing to have Red Beast Man, Blue Mer-Man and Purple Tri-Klops? Maybe, but this reissuing could get out of hand!

    The plus side is that figures such as the Green Goddess suggest that anyone featured in the mini comics could appear in the Classics. I would be happy to see Delora, Princess Rana and others... but how big could the collection become?

    At the top of my preference list is the glorm that featured in He-Man Meets Ram-Man! The glorm is the best beast from any of the stories, in my opinion. Just imagine encountering a herd of them in the forest when you were about to enjoy a pleasant stroll...
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

  8. #83
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,426
    Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    I am pleasantly surprised by the focus on the barbarian origins of the Masters canon in the Classics. I like the idea of a barbarian He-Man figure, but with just a hint of caution, because we know too many variants are bad.
    I think the difference would be that these repaints are of the most famous and nostalgic MOTU characters of all...the 8 back. 200X had He-Man and Skeletor in any wacky variant that Mattel could think of, not actually any established canon variants that fans would have wanted.

    However, the nostalgia wagon can go overboard if done too much, too soon.
    I'd prefer if they make the most different looking pre-filmation characters as bonus characters and slowly introduce a new pre-filmation character every 6 months.

    • Barbarian He-Man
    (features new squinty-eyed Alcala He-Man head and a bonus Alcala Skeletor head)
    • DC Teela (kills two birds with one release--comes with blonde hair up repainted Teela head)
    • Red Beast Man (He should be down below, but he's so ridiculously easy to make they might as well make him. Since he had no whip in the Alcala minis, give him Skeletor's unhooded Alcala head and energy blade)
    • Blue Mer-Man (They might just paint him blue. Ideally, he'd need new underwear and boots, though I'd be surprised if they tool new ones.)
    • Caucasian Stratos (with Beastman feet, new hip belt and feathered collar. Besides, those blue wings will probably show up again later)

    Would it be a good thing to have Red Beast Man, Blue Mer-Man and Purple Tri-Klops? Maybe, but this reissuing could get out of hand!
    You're right. We could get some super extraneous repaints. While I would love mini-comic accurate repaints, they could wait a long while since they are not much different from their original MOTUC releases:

    • He-Man (Bare left arm and Alcala head from Barbarian He-Man, Yellow fur on boots, knife in boot.)
    • Man-At-Arms (More olive green skin and more yellowish than orange armor, cape)
    • Skelet--er, Demo-Man (If they want to make an old skool Skeletor--Alcala head, unhooded Alcala head, no underwear, energy blade, Beast Man feet, plus shameless Demo-Man bio)

    It's actually rather cheeky to already be reissuing He-Man with a new paint job when they should have got the first one right. I hope the barbarian He-Man will be sufficiently different.
    It's more about the corrected shoulders. The fixed paint is an added bonus.

    At the top of my preference list is the glorm that featured in He-Man Meets Ram-Man! The glorm is the best beast from any of the stories, in my opinion. Just imagine encountering a herd of them in the forest when you were about to enjoy a pleasant stroll...
    Monsters would rock! But I'd see this happening waaaay down in the line, if ever.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; October 7, 2009 at 12:28pm.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

  9. #84
    Fighting Foe Fan Whiplash7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,882
    Skeletor: real feet! And maybe than loin flap or whatever it's called, in the back as well as the front, as in the minicomics.

  10. #85
    Evil Villain!!! adam03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton Canada
    Posts
    4,274
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I think the difference would be that these repaints are of the most famous and nostalgic MOTU characters of all...the 8 back. 200X had He-Man and Skeletor in any wacky variant that Mattel could think of, not actually any established canon variants that fans would have wanted.

    However, the nostalgia wagon can go overboard if done too much, too soon.
    I'd prefer if they make the most different looking pre-filmation characters as bonus characters and slowly introduce a new pre-filmation character every 6 months.

    • Barbarian He-Man
    (features new squinty-eyed Alcala He-Man head and a bonus Alcala Skeletor head)
    • DC Teela (kills two birds with one release--comes with blonde hair up repainted Teela head)
    • Red Beast Man (He should be down below, but he's so ridiculously easy to make they might as well make him. Since he had no whip in the Alcala minis, give him Skeletor's unhooded Alcala head and energy blade)
    • Blue Mer-Man (They might just paint him blue. Ideally, he'd need new underwear and boots, though I'd be surprised if they tool new ones.)
    • Caucasian Stratos (with Beastman feet, new hip belt and feathered collar. Besides, those blue wings will probably show up again later)



    You're right. We could get some super extraneous repaints. While I would love mini-comic accurate repaints, they could wait a long while since they are not much different from their original MOTUC releases:

    • He-Man (Bare left arm and Alcala head from Barbarian He-Man, Yellow fur on boots, knife in boot.)
    • Man-At-Arms (More olive green skin and more yellowish than orange armor, cape)
    • Skelet--er, Demo-Man (If they want to make an old skool Skeletor--Alcala head, unhooded Alcala head, no underwear, energy blade, Beast Man feet, plus shameless Demo-Man bio)



    It's more about the corrected shoulders. The fixed paint is an added bonus.



    Monsters would rock! But I'd see this happening waaaay down in the line, if ever.
    No! We don`t need anymore repaints of figures we already have, just be happy your getting a naked He Man, I see no need for them what so ever. Get extra`s of those characters and paint your blue Merman or red Beastman, get an extra of Teela and paint her hair, but we don`t need repaints at all! As I`ve said before your 'blonde" Teela was a color error, they mixed up the colors of her hair with her tiara, that`s why she has a red tiara and yellow hair when she should have red hair and a yellow tiara

  11. #86
    Fighting Foe Fan Whiplash7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,882
    Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    No! We don`t need anymore repaints of figures we already have, just be happy your getting a naked He Man, I see no need for them what so ever.
    Then don't buy them?
    How many bloody versions of Superman and Batman are they releasing, I assume people skip the ones they don't want.

  12. #87
    Atomic Powered G-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    2,729
    I guess a Barbarian He-Man would be kinda cool.

    I'm all for the old mini-comics but going deep into this direction seems pretty myopic and honestly, pretty unlikely.

    They had better be bonus figures if they do go this route. A red Beast-Man, blue Mer-Man and caucasian Stratos are pretty blah. Really, aren't they just repaints, essentially? And that is a path I didn't think we were going to go down for MOTUC.

    BTW, where are people getting this "blue" Mer-Man deal? I don't remember ever seeing this.

  13. #88
    Teela's Cup Barer Teela-Na's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    962
    Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    No! We don`t need anymore repaints of figures we already have, just be happy your getting a naked He Man, I see no need for them what so ever. Get extra`s of those characters and paint your blue Merman or red Beastman, get an extra of Teela and paint her hair, but we don`t need repaints at all! As I`ve said before your 'blonde" Teela was a color error, they mixed up the colors of her hair with her tiara, that`s why she has a red tiara and yellow hair when she should have red hair and a yellow tiara
    A color error? That last rather long didn't it, for well over a year before they spotted this so-called "mistake".

    Just like I'm sure Filmation Skeletor with boots is a correction over pre-Filmation Skeletor with only shin guards but clawed feet, even though that's how he appears in the current MOTUC.
    Bikini Teela: Hottest version ever!!

  14. #89
    Fighting Foe Fan Whiplash7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,882
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
    BTW, where are people getting this "blue" Mer-Man deal? I don't remember ever seeing this.
    He was often coloured blue in the early minicomics, as well as in filmation.

  15. #90
    Evil Villain!!! adam03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton Canada
    Posts
    4,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Teela-Na View Post
    A color error? That last rather long didn't it, for well over a year before they spotted this so-called "mistake".

    Just like I'm sure Filmation Skeletor with boots is a correction over pre-Filmation Skeletor with only shin guards but clawed feet, even though that's how he appears in the current MOTUC.
    ummmm no, of the original 4 mini`s #1 and 4 have the blonde while #2 and 3 have red hair also #3 has Teela in the snake armor as well

  16. #91
    Teela's Cup Barer Teela-Na's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    962
    Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    ummmm no, of the original 4 mini`s #1 and 4 have the blonde while #2 and 3 have red hair also #3 has Teela in the snake armor as well
    If Teela is blonde in the first mini, then she's only as much a "color error" as green goddess was in the same first mini. However, blonde Teela did last beyond those 4 minis and was blonde for virtually all of her first year. So it can't be a color error if they persisted with it, as they were well aware of their actions.
    Bikini Teela: Hottest version ever!!

  17. #92
    Cheap Repaint FAKER II's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,720
    Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    No! We don`t need anymore repaints of figures we already have, just be happy your getting a naked He Man, I see no need for them what so ever. Get extra`s of those characters and paint your blue Merman or red Beastman, get an extra of Teela and paint her hair, but we don`t need repaints at all! As I`ve said before your 'blonde" Teela was a color error, they mixed up the colors of her hair with her tiara, that`s why she has a red tiara and yellow hair when she should have red hair and a yellow tiara
    Some people want card art colored MOTUC figures. Some want mini comic colored MOTUC figures. Some want classic toy colored MOTUC figures. Some want them all. If the molds exist why should each figure only be represented one way?

    If Mattel is going to reissue figures then I say we should get a different incarnation of the figure. Like releasing Man at Arms in his classic toy colors, or Beast Man in his mini comic colors, or a red/blue reversed Stratos. Legitimate color variants deserve representation in the MOTUC line.

  18. #93
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,426
    Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    No! We don`t need anymore repaints of figures we already have, just be happy your getting a naked He Man, I see no need for them what so ever. Get extra`s of those characters and paint your blue Merman or red Beastman, get an extra of Teela and paint her hair, but we don`t need repaints at all!
    The whole line is nostalgic repaints. Even the main characters are mostly repaints. Might as well make some easy money from repainting existing figures and sell those bonus figures to nostalgic fans so you can have more involving tooling down the line.

    Of course, these are completely optional being bonus figures.

    As I`ve said before your 'blonde" Teela was a color error, they mixed up the colors of her hair with her tiara, that`s why she has a red tiara and yellow hair when she should have red hair and a yellow tiara
    She was blonde in the Texiera comics, DC comics and a bunch of media as well (Sticker Fun, Coloring books, etc.). Originally, Teela WAS a blonde. It was no mistake. They changed her hair color to red (because her head sticks out of the top of her armor) when the figure finally came out in '83.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

  19. #94
    Heroic Warrior Ivan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,528
    Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    No! We don`t need anymore repaints of figures we already have, just be happy your getting a naked He Man, I see no need for them what so ever. Get extra`s of those characters and paint your blue Merman or red Beastman, get an extra of Teela and paint her hair, but we don`t need repaints at all! As I`ve said before your 'blonde" Teela was a color error, they mixed up the colors of her hair with her tiara, that`s why she has a red tiara and yellow hair when she should have red hair and a yellow tiara
    What he said.

    I don't know if that particular thing thing was a mistake, but there were a lot of mistakes in 80s toys, comics, magazines and cartoons. In most cases they just didn't care - they just wanted to make some stuff as cheap as possible, without going into it too deep, and sell them to kids for money.

    Sorry to burst your bubble, but the real reason for the likes of DC Teela is that the guys doing the comic just didn't care to look at the actual toy designs! They were like "just draw some chick for this muscular blond-Conan dude". It's funny how some people construct stories, explanations and entire continuities where there really weren't any!

    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash77 View Post
    Then don't buy them?
    How many bloody versions of Superman and Batman are they releasing, I assume people skip the ones they don't want.
    Superman and Batman are much more popular - they can afford people skipping versions. MOTUC is still tiny - the reason they sell out fast is that they don't make a lot of them in the first place. If they make all these variants, and people just skip them (and most people will!) that will be the end of MOTUC! I say, make them all but not yet - we have the Goddess, we'll get the Barbarian He-Man, now let's have some other guys, let's have POP, let's have Snakemen and the Horde and NA... Save these early minicomic guys for the end when you run out of popular characters.

    Quote Originally Posted by Teela-Na View Post
    You can't get much more original than Barbarian He-Man. He is the very first appearance of the character.
    I don't subscribe to this view at all - to me, this was like a first draft that didn't go very well and had to be changed. Some people say that "it wasn't kid-friendly" as if that were a good thing?! He-Man is a toy! If he wasn't "kid-friendly" that was a major problem! Like it or not, it was the later, prince Adam storyline that made MOTU what it is.

    Again, it's great that the early comic continuity exists, it is an interesting, more barbaric part of the MOTU lore, but let's not get carried away here...

  20. #95
    Teela's Cup Barer Teela-Na's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    962
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    What he said.

    I don't know if that particular thing thing was a mistake, but there were a lot of mistakes in 80s toys, comics, magazines and cartoons. In most cases they just didn't care - they just wanted to make some stuff as cheap as possible, without going into it too deep, and sell them to kids for money.

    Sorry to burst your bubble, but the real reason for the likes of DC Teela is that the guys doing the comic just didn't care to look at the actual toy! They were like "just draw some chick for this muscular blond-Conan dude". It's funny how some people construct stories, explanations and entire continuities where there really weren't any!
    That clearly can't be the case as you describe though, as DC Teela is pictured in her regular outfit in the next issue. You can't profess to know the "real reason" when you weren't the artist. These stories aren't plotted or created months apart. They are worked on with a plan in mind, with the story broken down into separate issues. Teela appeared in a bikini in one issue and a formal dress outfit in the next, most likely because she was off duty in the first issue.


    I don't subscribe to this view at all - to me, this was like a first draft that didn't go very well and had to be changed. Some people say that "it wasn't kid-friendly" as if that were a good thing?! He-Man is a toy! If he wasn't "kid-friendly" that was a major problem! Like it or not, it was the later, prince Adam storyline that made MOTU what it is.

    Again, it's great that the early comic continuity exists, it is an interesting, more barbaric part of the MOTU lore, but let's not get carried away here...
    You may not subscribe to that view, but technically Barbarian He-Man IS the original. He came first chronologially, whether he was a "first draft" or not as you say. You can't call the later Prince Adam or Filmation version the original however you want to spin it. He simply came chronologically afterwards, and so by definition cannot be "the original".
    Bikini Teela: Hottest version ever!!

  21. #96
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,646
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    Superman and Batman are much more popular - they can afford people skipping versions. MOTUC is still tiny - the reason they sell out fast is that they don't make a lot of them in the first place. If they make all these variants, and people just skip them (and most people will!) that will be the end of MOTUC! I say, make them all but not yet - we have the Goddess, we'll get the Barbarian He-Man, now let's have some other guys, let's have POP, let's have Snakemen and the Horde and NA... Save these early minicomic guys for the end when you run out of popular characters.
    Or they could just not make as many and have these variants be bonus figures to space out the line over the next two years. I would also say that we need to see how the Goddess sells before we can make a blanket statement like "most people will" skip these more obscure figures, you have absolutely no proof of that.

    The great thing about MOTUC is Mattel can control the production number, makes some figures more limited then others to make sure they sell well and turn a profit. Its why MOTU would fail at retail, there is no way to do this in that kind of environment.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  22. #97
    Fighting Foe Fan Whiplash7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,882
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    Superman and Batman are much more popular - they can afford people skipping versions. MOTUC is still tiny - the reason they sell out fast is that they don't make a lot of them in the first place. If they make all these variants, and people just skip them (and most people will!) that will be the end of MOTUC! I say, make them all but not yet - we have the Goddess, we'll get the Barbarian He-Man, now let's have some other guys, let's have POP, let's have Snakemen and the Horde and NA... Save these early minicomic guys for the end when you run out of popular characters.
    Personally I'm assuming that we're all speculating about stuff that would be coming years down the road, not in April or anything.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    I don't subscribe to this view at all - to me, this was like a first draft that didn't go very well and had to be changed. Some people say that "it wasn't kid-friendly" as if that were a good thing?! He-Man is a toy! If he wasn't "kid-friendly" that was a major problem! Like it or not, it was the later, prince Adam storyline that made MOTU what it is.

    Again, it's great that the early comic continuity exists, it is an interesting, more barbaric part of the MOTU lore, but let's not get carried away here...
    He was kid friendly enough that myself and many others were playing with the toys and reading the comics before filmation. I would not likely have gotten into it if filmation was my fist exposure. However for the times, I assume when we say "kid friendly" we mean all colourful, silly, cheesy and filled with rubbish like pink, evil rabbits.

  23. #98
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,426
    Wow. Who'd have ever thought that MOTUC could get "too classic"?

    Guys, Barbarian He-Man isn't coming soon. Pre-Filmation characters aren't coming immediately. I'm talking about down the line as bonus characters.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but the real reason for the likes of DC Teela is that the guys doing the comic just didn't care to look at the actual toy designs! They were like "just draw some chick for this muscular blond-Conan dude". It's funny how some people construct stories, explanations and entire continuities where there really weren't any!
    Or maybe it was an early design for Teela that got changed. I doubt DC had free reign to design a licensed character. You know how overprotective Mattel is.

    Superman and Batman are much more popular - they can afford people skipping versions. MOTUC is still tiny - the reason they sell out fast is that they don't make a lot of them in the first place. If they make all these variants, and people just skip them (and most people will!) that will be the end of MOTUC! I say, make them all but not yet - we have the Goddess, we'll get the Barbarian He-Man, now let's have some other guys, let's have POP, let's have Snakemen and the Horde and NA... Save these early minicomic guys for the end when you run out of popular characters.
    You think MOTUC will fail from bonus figures not selling? We have the main line taking care of the sales. That's why we have bonus figures...to make even more money for the line by catering to a niche audience. Everyone isn't going to want a 200X Zodak or knows who The Goddess is. They are bonus figures. We have bonus figures every other month.

    POP, NA, Snakemen and the Horde will not be bonus figures and will still retain the regular monthly slot.

    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash77 View Post
    Personally I'm assuming that we're all speculating about stuff that would be coming years down the road, not in April or anything.
    And you'd be right.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; October 7, 2009 at 02:20pm.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

  24. #99
    Teela's Cup Barer Teela-Na's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    962
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash77 View Post
    Personally I'm assuming that we're all speculating about stuff that would be coming years down the road, not in April or anything.


    He was kid friendly enough that myself and many others were playing with the toys and reading the comics before filmation. I would not likely have gotten into it if filmation was my fist exposure. However for the times, I assume when we say "kid friendly" we mean all colourful, silly, cheesy and filled with rubbish like pink, evil rabbits.
    I agree. It's in the same way that Jar Jar Binks was added to the Star Wars canon, because clearly, the original Star Wars wasn't "kid friendly" enough.
    Bikini Teela: Hottest version ever!!

  25. #100
    Heroic Warrior Ivan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Teela-Na View Post
    That clearly can't be the case as you describe though, as DC Teela is pictured in her regular outfit in the next issue. You can't profess to know the "real reason" when you weren't the artist. These stories aren't plotted or created months apart. They are worked on with a plan in mind, with the story broken down into separate issues. Teela appeared in a bikini in one issue and a formal dress outfit in the next, most likely because she was off duty in the first issue.
    Come on! And, what's the big plan behind these guys?



    Actually, I'd better stop before Matty announces a SDCC 2010 exclusive - Ram-Man that is all white from the chest up (arms, face, everything!) and all pink from the chest down. No, guys, it's not bad coloring, it's a separate character - Ram-Mans predecessor who fought along side the He-Man who was just between Barbarian He-Man and Wun-Dar. (That He-Man will be the SDCC 2011 exclusive!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash77 View Post
    However for the times, I assume when we say "kid friendly" we mean all colourful, silly, cheesy and filled with rubbish like pink, evil rabbits.
    First of all, do not mess with Plundor!

    Second, welcome to the 80s! Of course MOTU had it's share of color, silliness and cheese! That's what made it popular, and, like it or not, it is an inextricable part of MOTU.

    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Wow. Who'd have ever thought that MOTUC could get "too classic"?
    Yeah, right? A couple of years ago we had no line to discuss, and it's awesome that MOTUC is so great. We all have the best interest of MOTUC at heart here.

    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Or maybe it was an early design for Teela that got changed. I doubt DC had free reign to design a licensed character. You know how overprotective Mattel is.
    Same thing really... my point was that they did not go into details nearly as much as we did. Mattel's own materials had so many inconsistencies. If they made a last minute change somewhere, of course they wouldn't reprint a mini comic that was printed before that. Nonetheless, those were mistakes.

    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    You think MOTUC will fail from bonus figures not selling? We have the main line taking care of the sales. That's why we have bonus figures...to make even more money for the line by catering to a niche audience. Everyone isn't going to want a 200X Zodak or knows who The Goddess is. They are bonus figures. We have bonus figures every other month.
    Bonus figure is just a marketing term. To Mattel's management they are just products, and MOTUC is a brand, and if a brand doesn't perform they will terminate it. No company in their right mind (and especially in this economy) would deliberately bleed money on one product because they are making extra on another. A product that under-performs will be terminated. If bonus figures don't make as much money as regulars they will simply pull the plug on them (which is bad enough) and they might start reconsidering the whole line (which is even worse).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •