Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Enough of the MAN-E-JAW Legs and waist.

Enough of the MAN-E-JAW Legs and waist.

_

Enough of the Man-E-JAw Legs and waist.

How many times have these overused, overwrought parts been used?

Manefaces Waist- 7
    TrapJaw Thighs- 8
    Trap Jaw Shins- 11 (11 1/2 Horde Prime uses the knee pad)
    Trapjaw Feet- 9

With the exception of He-Man Naked legs and fuzzy shorts and boots and Skeletor Shins and Feet (very generic looking pieces by the way, the Man-E-Jaw legs and feet look like an obvious part of a whole that was manufactured and don't look like they organically came together), the only other parts that come close to these are Hero Shins(6 times) And Bow Shins(5 times)
    Compare that with this leg combination of all 4 of these used on the SAME FIGURE 4 TIMES, now 5 with Twistoid.

Man-E-Faces
    Roboto
    Optikk
    Sky-High
    Twistoid

And additionally, other figures that use ALL 3 of the Leg pieces from this overused group, sans the waist piece.

Trap-Jaw
    Karatii

So that's 7 Figures that all have the exact same Thighs, shins, and Feet.

There are 7 other characters that use some combination of thighs, SHINS (ugh), feet, and waist from this set. Enough already!

Now lets get to the part of why I went to the lengths to create this thread.

TWISTOID. What could have been a great design opportunity was ruined here.

Aesthetically design wise, these Man-E-Jaw legs don't even fit with Twistoid that well, because his torso, arms and Head are all squared off with sharp angles,do not even look remotely humanoid, and all of these leg pieces are more or less following the same form as armor for humanoid legs.

So what happened here? We have WAY over used parts on this guy that don't even look good on him design wise. It looks like someone just took a spare Roboto bottom half and threw it on his torso.

oICEMANo's Mock ups show just how cool and unique Twistoid could have looked.

Lets look at what I consider the other possibilities that would have looked AT LEAST better than using ANY of these overused Man-E-Jaws parts, and some AWESOME alternatives. Noted after each piece is the times they have been used in the line (please correct me on these if I missed anything.)

WAISTS
    Waists GREAT
    Blast Attack- 1
    Strong Arm- 1
    Flogg- 1
    Karatti- 1
    Horde Trooper- 1

Waists GOOD
    Sy-Klone -1
    Rokkon- 1
    Stonedar- 1
    Hydron- 1
    Dactys- 1
    Count Marzo- 1
    King He-Man- 1
    NA Skeletor- 1

Waists OK(Better than Man-E Re-use)
    Extendar- 1
    Snout Spout- 1
    Flipshot- 3
    SeaHawk- 1
    Standor- 1

THIGHS

Thighs GREAT
    Blast Attack- 1
    Flogg- 1
    Horde Trooper- 1

Thighs GOOD
    NA Skeletor

Thighs OK (Better than Man-E Re-use)
    Extendar- 1

SHINS
    Shins GREAT
    Blast Attack- 1
    Hero- 6
    Mosquitor- 1
    Horde Trooper- 1
    NA Skeletor- 1

Shins GOOD
    Extendar- 1
    Flipshot- 2
    Hydron- 1

Shins OK (Better than Man-E Re-use)
    Bow- 4
    Geldor- 1
    Strong Arm- 1
    Syklone- 2

FEET
    Feet GREAT
    Mosquitor- 1
    Blast Attack- 1
    NA Skelletor
    Hordak- 7
    Horde Trooper- 1

Feet GOOD

Extendar- 1
    Hero- 3

Feet OK (Better than Man-E Re-use)
    Batros

All right. So there we have 44 Pieces(75% of which were only used ONCE) that are already tooled, that could make MULTIPLE THOUSANDS of unused combinations.

Then throw in the Possibly untooled but definitely almost tooled Multibot parts(These would have looked Aesthetically GREAT with him):

Thighs X3
    Shins x3
    Feet X3

And it gets into really, really big numbers of combinations.
    If anyone wants to post any mock ups using any of my suggested parts, or others (even one or 2 of Man-E-Jaw parts ) please feel free.

To conclude, I feel the ball was dropped here, whether from poor/lazy design, or possibly some lame cost cutting measure. The figure looks ridiculous with those legs, due to the design looking off multiplied by the horrendous overuse of these parts.

We have SO MANY tooled parts now, that I NEVER want to see all 4 of these MAn-E-Jaw parts used together again, and if ANY of them are used, there better be a good reason story wise, or design wise. Neither seem to be the case here.

Please let me know how you feel about this overused set of parts as well.
    Last edited by darkmoon766; May 10, 2015 at 01:26am. Reason: Said there were 30 other characters with these parts, was way off, only 7.

Yeah, enough with the TJ/MAN-E legs. The mock up looks a lot better. I wonder if it is too late to change.

Quote Originally Posted by THE SEEKERS View Post
    Yeah, enough with the TJ/MAN-E legs. The mock up looks a lot better. I wonder if it is too late to change.
    They are already on the boat or in the warehouses. Take that to the bank.

Come On Bro !

Those Trap Jaw Tights, Leg Armour & Boots Sells Like A Hot Cake In Eternia ! No Wonder Its (In)Famous !!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TUC138 View Post
    GOD IS THERE !!!! Because He Has Given My Filmation Variants ANNNNNNNNNND MY Filmation Skeletor !!!

Needed flat abs too.
    Part Needs: MOTUC
    FEEDBACK

Quote Originally Posted by stprime View Post
    Needed flat abs too.
    My guess is that the ab piece is reused from King Hsss, and they did not want to tool another removable torso/crotch section.

Add smaa to the thigh use list

- - - Updated - - -

And horde prime to the knees.

- - - Updated - - -
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon766 View Post
    My guess is that the ab piece is reused from King Hsss, and they did not want to tool another removable torso/crotch section.

But they'll have to resculpt the loin too then cause the design that holds it in place is rotated!!!!
    FEEDBACK

I honestly don't care about parts reuse if it's done well, and if it makes sense. Also, it saves money that could go toward another item.

True. But in this case if it uses hiss's waist then it's not reuse, the loin will be a new sculpt of an overly used one.
    Last edited by stprime; May 9, 2015 at 06:58pm.
    FEEDBACK

in the vintage line they reused parts just as much, whatever. I really like that twistoid mock-up though-very nice.
    Last edited by Spikor1982; May 9, 2015 at 06:58pm.
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

It's not very often I criticise the way a figure turns out as 99% I'm happy with whatever we get and I am happy with parts reuse where appropriate. But with these legs it's just coming across as lazy, they really don't fit with the rest of the figure and there are so many options now so why keep using them.
    I'm not angry about it, just disapointed and frankly getting bored of seeing these parts used over and over again when there is so many others available now.

Quote Originally Posted by Raziel443 View Post
    It's not very often I criticise the way a figure turns out as 99% I'm happy with whatever we get and I am happy with parts reuse where appropriate. But with these legs it's just coming across as lazy, they really don't fit with the rest of the figure and there are so many options now so why keep using them.
    I'm not angry about it, just disapointed and frankly getting bored of seeing these parts used over and over again when there is so many others available now.
    I agree with Raz here. I am not too concerned about it, but would like to see a few of the more underused parts show up again.
    The Lurkiest

**Somebody please make me a Staghorn**

I agree with the opinion many are expressing here. Twistoid's legs do not fit with the rest of the figure. I understand that the legs are not part of the original design, and so maybe considered only a bonus item, but there were other legs, boots, etc that would have been a better match to the look of his torso.

I fully support the retiring of the Trap Jaw legs. I was cool with them until this. This was the straw... Mattel, please stop with these.
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

I guess all the characters shop at the same Eternian Walmart for their leg gear!
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

The good news is that with this guy popping apart at the waist it should be pretty easy to customize him using Multi-Bot parts.

But yeah, I definitely agree that there are far better combinations available at this point. It'd be cool to see Flogg's thighs used again.

In the original line Trapjaw, Man-e-faces, and Roboto used the same legs. I always took that reuse to be a throwback to then.

Outside of that it is somewhat extreme.

I would like to see an over all look at reuse across all figures on body parts. (He-man legs, arms, etc).
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Heroic Warrior
    _

Manefaces Waist- 6
    TrapJaw Thighs- 7
    Trap Jaw Shins- 9
    Trapjaw Feet- 8

With the exception of He-Man Naked legs and fuzzy shorts and boots and Skeletor Shins and Feet (very generic looking pieces by the way, the Man-E-Jaw legs and feet look like an obvious part of a whole that was manufactured and don't look like they organically came together), the only other parts that come close to these are Hero Shins(6 times) And Bow Shins(5 times)
    Compare that with this leg combination of all 4 of these used on the SAME FIGURE 4 TIMES, now 5 with Twistoid.

Man-E-Faces
    Roboto
    Optikk
    Sky-High
    Twistoid

And additionally, other figures that use ALL 3 of the Leg pieces from this overused group, sans the waist piece.

Trap-Jaw
    Karatii

http://i62.tinypic.com/16rvwz.jpg

There are 30 other characters that use some combination of thighs, SHINS (ugh), feet, and waist from this set. Enough already!

Aesthetically design wise, these Man-E-Jaw legs don't even fit with Twistoid that well, because his torso, arms and Head are all squared off with sharp angles,do not even look remotely humanoid, and all of these leg pieces are more or less following the same form as armor for humanoid legs.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2ivib9f.jpg

So what happened here? We have WAY over used parts on this guy that don't even look good on him design wise. It looks like someone just took a spare Roboto bottom half and threw it on his torso.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...8.jpg~original

Lets look at what I consider the other possibilities that would have looked AT LEAST better than using ANY of these overused Man-E-Jaws parts, and some AWESOME alternatives. Noted after each piece is the times they have been used in the line (please correct me on these if I missed anything.)

WAISTS
    Waists GREAT
    Blast Attack- 1
    Strong Arm- 1
    Flogg- 1
    Karatti- 1
    Horde Trooper- 1

Waists GOOD
    Sy-Klone -1
    Rokkon- 1
    Stonedar- 1
    Hydron- 1
    Dactys- 1
    Count Marzo- 1
    King He-Man- 1
    NA Skeletor- 1

Extendar- 1
    Snout Spout- 1
    Flipshot- 3
    SeaHawk- 1
    Standor- 1

THIGHS

Thighs GREAT
    Blast Attack- 1
    Flogg- 1
    Horde Trooper- 1

Thighs GOOD
    NA Skeletor

Extendar- 1

SHINS
    Shins GREAT
    Blast Attack- 1
    Hero- 6
    Mosquitor- 1
    Horde Trooper- 1
    NA Skeletor- 1

Shins GOOD
    Extendar- 1
    Flipshot- 2
    Hydron- 1

Bow- 4
    Geldor- 1
    Strong Arm- 1
    Syklone- 2

FEET
    Feet GREAT
    Mosquitor- 1
    Blast Attack- 1
    NA Skelletor
    Hordak- 7
    Horde Trooper- 1

Feet GOOD

Extendar- 1
    Hero- 3

Batros

All right. So there we have 44 Pieces(75% of which were only used ONCE) that are already tooled, that could make MULTIPLE THOUSANDS of unused combinations.

Then throw in the Possibly untooled but definitely almost tooled Multibot parts(These would have looked Aesthetically GREAT with him):

Thighs X3
    Shins x3
    Feet X3

If anyone wants to post any mock ups using any of my suggested parts, or others (even one or 2 of Man-E-Jaw parts ) please feel free.

To conclude, I feel the ball was dropped here, whether from poor/lazy design, or possibly some lame cost cutting measure. The figure looks ridiculous with those legs, due to the design looking off multiplied by the horrendous overuse of these parts.

We have SO MANY tooled parts now, that I NEVER want to see all 4 of these MAn-E-Jaw parts used together again, and if ANY of them are used, there better be a good reason story wise, or design wise. Neither seem to be the case here.

Multi Bot is coming out next month and was supposed to be this month, so they are definitely tooled and already been used. In fact with these coming so close together it seems they could have probably made legs for Twistoid at the same time.

To be honest the Trap Jaw legs didn't bother me as much until I started looking ta the other options. He's such a blocky guy he would be much improved with blockier legs.

_

Manefaces Waist- 6
    TrapJaw Thighs- 7
    Trap Jaw Shins- 9
    Trapjaw Feet- 8

Man-E-Faces
    Roboto
    Optikk
    Sky-High
    Twistoid

Trap-Jaw
    Karatii

http://i62.tinypic.com/16rvwz.jpg

There are 30 other characters that use some combination of thighs, SHINS (ugh), feet, and waist from this set. Enough already!

http://i62.tinypic.com/2ivib9f.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...8.jpg~original

WAISTS
    Waists GREAT
    Blast Attack- 1
    Strong Arm- 1
    Flogg- 1
    Karatti- 1
    Horde Trooper- 1

Waists GOOD
    Sy-Klone -1
    Rokkon- 1
    Stonedar- 1
    Hydron- 1
    Dactys- 1
    Count Marzo- 1
    King He-Man- 1
    NA Skeletor- 1

Extendar- 1
    Snout Spout- 1
    Flipshot- 3
    SeaHawk- 1
    Standor- 1

THIGHS

Thighs GREAT
    Blast Attack- 1
    Flogg- 1
    Horde Trooper- 1

Thighs GOOD
    NA Skeletor

Extendar- 1

SHINS
    Shins GREAT
    Blast Attack- 1
    Hero- 6
    Mosquitor- 1
    Horde Trooper- 1
    NA Skeletor- 1

Shins GOOD
    Extendar- 1
    Flipshot- 2
    Hydron- 1

Bow- 4
    Geldor- 1
    Strong Arm- 1
    Syklone- 2

FEET
    Feet GREAT
    Mosquitor- 1
    Blast Attack- 1
    NA Skelletor
    Hordak- 7
    Horde Trooper- 1

Feet GOOD

Extendar- 1
    Hero- 3

Batros

Thighs X3
    Shins x3
    Feet X3

I think multi-bot leg fit so much better
    they said this year was going to be lots of new parts but it looks like there is alot of old parts to me . and at 40 bucks for a motuc how is that. I don't care to pay 40 if it a hole new body but if have is old parts we should not have to pay 40 buck for that but that's just me
    pay 40 buck if I am getting a new motuc but not if hafe of the guy is old parts
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by stprime View Post
    Needed flat abs too.
    I loathe the flat ab piece. I would be happy if it was never used again. However, I do agree that the line could do with a bit less of the Trap Jaw legs.

I'm Ok with it. Not really anything I will lose sleep over.
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

I agree with the majority here. Those legs and loin have been used way too much. I'm glad we got extra legs for the Zoids but I would've preferred and it would've made more sense (design wise) to use a different pair of legs on Twistoid. If he was produced before Multi-Bot or Blast Attak, then the Horde Trooper thighs and NA Skeletor shins/feet could've been used.
    Last edited by Count Judas; May 10, 2015 at 12:40am.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!!
    NO KAYO? NOT OKAY-O!!

This is, to me, NBD.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    This is, to me, NBD.

Yeah I'm not highly upset over this yet I do agree that the mockup of him looks 100% better than what we are getting. The bottom half just doesn't flow at all with the top half. Just because the colors work doesn't mean that the design does. That's the problem here. There was not enough thought put into the design of him as a whole. But at the same time I'm just glad that they are making him and that they did at least include legs of some sort.
    Last edited by depp76; May 10, 2015 at 12:07am.

Not getting all the hate for the Trap-Jaw-Man-E legs. While the Twistoid reveal has brought this complaint to the fore again, it is a recurring theme. Seems to me 7 figures out of almost 200 using the TJ-MEF legs is not unreasonable ... especially given 3 of the 7 had these exact legs vintage.

Objectively:
    a) the TJ-MEF legs are well sculpted.

b) they don't seem to have the weak ankle problem of both the early He-Man and Beast-Man legs.

c) use of these legs makes Optikk look like he actually belongs in the MOTUniverse.

d) the women of Eternia swoon for muscular TJ-MEF legs compared to the skinny wimpy legs, of say, Modulok.

I wholeheartedly agree, Twistoid would have looked better if (to match his arms) his walking frame legs were blockier like those of Multi-Bot or even a Blast-Attak or Horde Trooper (or some other random robotic combination of leg parts), but the figure still looks awesome.

By all means, argue the case for how Twistoid could have been designed better, but please don't take your anger out on Trap Jaw's attractive legs! (lol)