Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Barbarian He-Man Thread (Oo-Larr?)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    I say, make them all but not yet - we have the Goddess, we'll get the Barbarian He-Man, now let's have some other guys, let's have POP, let's have Snakemen and the Horde and NA...
    No where has it even been slightly implied that people are expecting all the minicomic characters anytime soon.

Yes the Goddess is coming this year, but you can pretty much be assured we'll have a few POP and NA characters before Barbarian He-Man gets made.

Scott didn't say he was "coming soon", he said it "wouldn't be for quite a while". I'll be shocked if we get him before 2011.

All people are saying is that the minicomic era is perfect for the occasional Bonus Figure. They require little tooling and since there is a group of people who are unaware or apathetic towards them, they don't have to worry about getting them in their subscriptions.

Come on! And, what's the big plan behind these guys?

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...1&d=1254940059
    I really don't get your post. You're talking about DC Teela and Teela's barbarian (bikini) outfit which you claim is an inconsistency or pure laziness on the artist's part. Then, when I counter your argument, you present me with a completely unrelated mini comic of He-Man meets Ram Man to argue your case.

I'll explain again:

Here:

The DC comic with DC Teela:

This was titled "To tempt the gods". That story ran over several issues. Teela was in her barbarian/bikini outfit in that first issue as shown here:

In the second issue, Teela was back in her regular outfit, not her bikini. That wasn't an inconsistency, with the artist not remembering what he had drawn in that previous issue or with him being too lazy in the first issue.

This is what I'm saying is planned out in advance. The three-part story wasn't written haphazzardly with no direction whatsoever and months apart, or without the artist having the ability to refer to each issue back and forth. There was an overall plan with the story broken down over those three issues.

Now you might argue that what you mean by "DC Teela" is the blonde Teela we encountered in the mini comics (as they were largely produced by DC). However, people on this board refer to that Teela as either "mini comics Teela" or "blonde Teela." When people say "DC Teela" they generally mean "Barbarian/Bikini Teela" as she appeared in that DC comic where the publisher's name was blatantly plastered on the front cover.
    Last edited by Teela-Na; October 7, 2009 at 03:08pm.
    Bikini Teela: Hottest version ever!!

REMAINING MOTUC FOR 2015 synthalus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post

• Barbarian He-Man
    (features new squinty-eyed Alcala He-Man head and a bonus Alcala Skeletor head)
    • DC Teela (kills two birds with one release--comes with blonde hair up repainted Teela head)
    • Red Beast Man (He should be down below, but he's so ridiculously easy to make they might as well make him. Since he had no whip in the Alcala minis, give him Skeletor's unhooded Alcala head and energy blade)
    • Blue Mer-Man (They might just paint him blue. Ideally, he'd need new underwear and boots, though I'd be surprised if they tool new ones.)
    • Caucasian Stratos (with Beastman feet, new hip belt and feathered collar. Besides, those blue wings will probably show up again later)

You're right. We could get some super extraneous repaints. While I would love mini-comic accurate repaints, they could wait a long while since they are not much different from their original MOTUC releases:

• He-Man (Bare left arm and Alcala head from Barbarian He-Man, Yellow fur on boots, knife in boot.)
    • Man-At-Arms (More olive green skin and more yellowish than orange armor, cape)
    • Skelet--er, Demo-Man (If they want to make an old skool Skeletor--Alcala head, unhooded Alcala head, no underwear, energy blade, Beast Man feet, plus shameless Demo-Man bio)
    What I'd love the see more than anything would be the:
    DC Barbarian Bikini Teela with blonde hair loose and as a bonus head: blonde hair up (repainted Teela v1 head).

Other really cool ones:
    Barbarian/Savage He-Man (features new squinty-eyed Alcala He-Man head, only wears the furry shorts, nothing else, has a spear)

He-Man (with the 2 bracelets Tri-Klops wears and Alcala head from Barbarian He-Man, Yellow fur on boots, knife in boot, including Powersword, Halfsword, Axe & Shield) He-Man was mostly wearing 2 similar bracelets. that's the reason why I'd like to see that version.

Skeletor, The Demo-Man (If they want to make an old skool Skeletor--Alcala head, unhooded Alcala head, no underwear, energy blade, Beast Man feet, plus shameless Demo-Man bio)

I'm not really that interested in the others like a red Beast Man, Caucasian Stratos, Blue Mer-Man.
    Although it IS a great idea if you see them as more of the same Beast Man & Mer-Man species.
    I might buy 2 of each red Beast Man & 2 of each Blue Mer-Man as Beast Man's & Mer-Man's minions.

Aside from the Pre-Filmation/Mini-Comics, I'd love to see
    Stratos with Beastman feet and Staff of Avion.
    Last edited by synthalus; October 8, 2009 at 06:18am.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Actually, I'd better stop before Matty announces a SDCC 2010 exclusive - Ram-Man that is all white from the chest up (arms, face, everything!) and all pink from the chest down. No, guys, it's not bad coloring, it's a separate character - Ram-Mans predecessor who fought along side the He-Man who was just between Barbarian He-Man and Wun-Dar. (That He-Man will be the SDCC 2011 exclusive!)
    I think the Texiera books feature the modern characters, as evidenced in Teela and Tri-Klops' bios. The predecessors are only in the Alcala books.

Same thing really... my point was that they did not go into details nearly as much as we did. Mattel's own materials had so many inconsistencies. If they made a last minute change somewhere, of course they wouldn't reprint a mini comic that was printed before that. Nonetheless, those were mistakes.
    I don't think they were mistakes. Things changed and evolved over time. In 1982, He-Man was a barbarian from the jungle and Battle Cat didn't talk. That was He-Man at that time.

Bonus figure is just a marketing term. To Mattel's management they are just products, and MOTUC is a brand, and if a brand doesn't perform they will terminate it. No company in their right mind (and especially in this economy) would deliberately bleed money on one product because they are making extra on another. A product that under-performs will be terminated. If bonus figures don't make as much money as regulars they will simply pull the plug on them (which is bad enough) and they might start reconsidering the whole line (which is even worse).
    The bonus figures aren't the main MOTUC line. There's no subscription for them. They are a way for the line to make extra money beyond the norm (instead of 12 figures for the year, there are possibly 19 now--12 montly figures + 6 bonus figures every other month + 1 SDCC exclusive).

Mattel knows that every fan doesn't like 200X or even collected MOTU when it first started, so Goddess and Zodak are already niche audiences. Mattel could have added them onto the subscription, but I think Mattel wants to see how these characters perform before they commit to two new sources of MOTUC repaints: 200X and the Original Alcala mini-comics.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    No where has it even been slightly implied that people are expecting all the minicomic characters anytime soon.
    I know, I just feel that we have a very vocal early-mini-comic lobby which might steer Matty in direction which I think is risky for the line. So, I set on a mission to outshout them

Quote Originally Posted by Teela-Na View Post
    I really don't get your post. You're talking about DC Teela and Teela's barbarian (bikini) outfit...
    Not really. What I said was "the likes of DC Teela", meaning all those various depictions of the same character which includes not just her, but also Red Beast Man, Blue Mer-Man, Pink Ram-Man, Green Goddess etc. Those were the results of miscommunication, bad planing, last minute changes in one department, cost-cutting measures, cheap printing techniques, and yes, a bit of laziness as well.

I know, I just feel that we have a very vocal early-mini-comic lobby which might steer Matty in direction which I think is risky for the line. So, I set on a mission to outshout them
    We vote with our pocketbooks, I guess if The Goddess sells out in 20min you really need to start worrying
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

I'm sure we won't even see this version of He-Man for a long time (as Toyguru stated), but I look very much forward to his release. I too remember the mini-comics being my first introduction to MOTU and welcome this figure and The Goddess with open arms.

I think it's far too early to even speculate if Mattel will make any other variants from the pre-Filmation days, but it certainly doesn't hurt for people to state the figures they'd like to see.
    I'm hoping for a Disco Skeletor for the next subscription exclusive! Fully flocked!

"I don't like to feel good! I like to feel EVIL!"

You're worried about potential bonus figures in 2011?

Not really. What I said was "the likes of DC Teela", meaning all those various depictions of the same character which includes not just her, but also Red Beast Man, Blue Mer-Man, Pink Ram-Man, Green Goddess etc. Those were the results of miscommunication, bad planing, last minute changes in one department, cost-cutting measures, cheap printing techniques, and yes, a bit of laziness as well.
    I don't think it was miscommunication for most of those things, save all Red Beast Man. In the planning stages in 1981, that's what those characters looked like then. Teela was blonde in almost all of the media, Mer-Man had his 8 back head and Stratos wasn't covered in gray fur.

Now, Mattel is using the old versions of those characters to sell even more toys with minimal tooling to nostalgic fans. We have Mer-Man already. In order to sell Mer-Man again, they'll have to appeal to the fans' nostalgia.

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Hmm ... I have all of the early minis and nowhere do I see a blue Mer-Man.

I think you guys are imagining it ... either that or it's a color discrepancy.

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    We vote with our pocketbooks, I guess if The Goddess sells out in 20min you really need to start worrying
    I know, even I am buying her! I guess I should organize a subversion!

I don't think it was miscommunication for most of those things, save all Red Beast Man. In the planning stages in 1981, that's what those characters looked like then. Teela was blonde in almost all of the media, Mer-Man had his 8 back head and Stratos wasn't covered in gray fur.
    Whatever... I can't list all the reasons for every single instance, but the point is that they were not separate characters!

I don't think they were mistakes. Things changed and evolved over time. In 1982, He-Man was a barbarian from the jungle and Battle Cat didn't talk. That was He-Man at that time.
    Exactly! That was He-Man at that time! Now, they are marketing Wun-Dar as a separate character, and they will do the same for Barbarian He-Man, and The Goddess is a saparate character that exists in the same continuity as Prince Adam and the Sorceress... It just doesn't make sense. I think it would be much cooler if they make a little spin-off line and do all the early minicomic stuff, on it's own. Just put a sticker on the box or something and preserve the essence of both continuities!

If you are a fan of the early minicomics, wouldn't that be better for you? The way they are doing it now - merging Barbaric He-Man with Adam - they are just pouring all that 80's cheese right on top of your barbaric early stuff! And you guys actually like that?!

Quote Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
    Hmm ... I have all of the early minis and nowhere do I see a blue Mer-Man.

I think you guys are imagining it ... either that or it's a color discrepancy.
    Minicomics:

Filmation:

2 birds, one stone.

There are a lot of motu characters I don't like, most of them were spawned in the filmation or post-filmation era, and they are as "fringe" as any pre-filmation character. The majority of the characters not in the first few waves are fringe, in my own opinion. One could also say that Snake Men are "risky" since they've killed every line. I don't care for those characters so I stay out of threads about them, or NA, or PoP, since I'm apathetic. This line is proving to be giving a little something for everyone, every era. Live and let live, huh?

If you are a fan of the early minicomics, wouldn't that be better for you? The way they are doing it now - merging Barbaric He-Man with Adam - they are just pouring all that 80's cheese right on top of your barbaric early stuff! And you guys actually like that?!
    The bios mean nothing. They created a Goddess figure, that's what's important. We can choose the continuities we like. I mostly like a mix of pre-filmation and 200x, and I'll stick with it.
    Last edited by Whiplash7; October 7, 2009 at 05:16pm.

The repaints are easy money for Mattel. Great bonus figures.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash77 View Post
    There are a lot of motu characters I don't like, most of them were spawned in the filmation or post-filmation era, and they are as "fringe" as any pre-filmation character. The majority of the characters not in the first few waves are fringe, in my own opinion. One could also say that Snake Men are "risky" since they've killed every line. I don't care for those characters so I stay out of threads about them, or NA, or PoP, since I'm apathetic. This line is proving to be giving a little something for everyone, every era. Live and let live, huh?

The bios mean nothing. They created a Goddess figure, that's what's important. We can choose the continuities we like. I mostly like a mix of pre-filmation and 200x, and I'll stick with it.
    I don't think the Snakemen killed any line. I think it was over saturation, and an over abundance of he-man and Skeletor variants.

Whatever... I can't list all the reasons for every single instance, but the point is that they were not separate characters!
    But they are now separate characters in MOTUC's continuity.

Exactly! That was He-Man at that time! Now, they are marketing Wun-Dar as a separate character, and they will do the same for Barbarian He-Man, and The Goddess is a saparate character that exists in the same continuity as Prince Adam and the Sorceress... It just doesn't make sense. I think it would be much cooler if they make a little spin-off line and do all the early minicomic stuff, on it's own. Just put a sticker on the box or something and preserve the essence of both continuities!
    Why? This is MOTUC. Nothing means Classic more than the original version. If the Pre-Filmation stuff isn't Classic material, what is?

These characters aren't stepping on any toes here since they are bonus figures.

Actually it's more like getting the barbarian stuff when you think MOTUC is all about the 80's toys. It's a pleasant surprise when the majority of fans seem to be 1884-1988 fans. We're happy to be included AT ALL.

Before I was hoping that MOTUC would drop the hokier aspects of Filmation (talking animals, sneaking off to become He-Man, Marlena from Earth, etc.), but since MOTUC will have barbarian He-Man as canon, "Filmationy He-man" won't be the only He-Man.

It's great this way because MOTUC would cater to multiple fans, instead of keeping them separated.

Usually fans seem to divide into two camps. Filmation and 200X, but it actually seems as if there are 3 camps: Pre-Filmation, Filmation and 200X.

Usually fans seem to divide into two camps. Filmation and 200X, but it actually seems as if there are 3 camps: Pre-Filmation, Filmation and 200X.
    It's dog-eat-dog when it comes to representation in MOTUC. Every era fights with each other to come out in this line. If Filmation and the 1987 movie were available, they'd have fans fighting for versions of those characters as well.

Am I alone in being happy with all eras being represented that can be?? I think it's really cool that we're all getting something. My favorite is the 200x MYP era, but that doesn't mean that I don't enjoy the others.
    I'm hoping for a Disco Skeletor for the next subscription exclusive! Fully flocked!

"I don't like to feel good! I like to feel EVIL!"

It's a pleasant surprise when the majority of fans seem to be 1884-1988 fans. We're happy to be included AT ALL.
    Wow, 1884! Now those are some hardcore fans!

...and the 1884 guys. Sorry, MegaGearMax, I can't resist!

It's dog-eat-dog when it comes to representation in MOTUC. Every era fights with each other to come out in this line. If Filmation and the 1987 movie were available, they'd have fans fighting for versions of those characters as well.
    I am not fighting, it's just a friendly discussion. Oh, if Filmation weren't off limits I'd love a Christmas Special Skeletor with a smiling face!

Oh, if Filmation weren't off limits I'd love a Christmas Special Skeletor with a smiling face!
    NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!

Honestly, I think most fans are more in the middle.
    Liking several eras/versions or elements from several versions.
    But there certainly are plenty of people with affinities for only a specific era/version.

I'd say I'm pretty all over the place, myself.
    So far, there really isn't much about MotUC that I dislike.
    And while I probably wouldn't buy all of the pre-filmation repaints being discussed here,
    I'd definitely be down for a few of them.
    And Barbarian He-Man is a "very yes" for me!
    Bill :: guitargod694

I'm pretty much in guitargod's camp as well (and not just because I agree that Eyebeam is the best idea ever). I grew up with filmation, so I'm not gona discount it. I love the old barbarian stories, so I'm in that camp, but I'm also a big fan of 200X, so I'm in that camp too.

As for the repaints that have been talked about, well, I don't see a need for them, and some of them may be the first ones I skip unless they have extra parts for other figures. Barbarian He-Man and Teela, though, are significant and different to me, so those would be very high in my book! I just don't need a blue Mer-Man, Red Beast Man, or fleshy Stratos. Regardless, I won't say that they wouldn't make good bonus figures, and I can't even say I wouldn't end up getting them anyway, when I see them.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by evenflow View Post
    The repaints are easy money for Mattel. Great bonus figures.
    As long as they sell.

A lot of these ideas are pretty fringe.
    I don't think hardly anyone outside of a small group here would even be able to recognize them, let alone identify their significance.

Quote Originally Posted by guitargod694 View Post
    Honestly, I think most fans are more in the middle.
    Liking several eras/versions or elements from several versions.
    Agreed.
    I'm fine with the inclusion of early mini-comics stuff, I just hope they don't go overboard with it.

For me, the "real" MotU only exists with the HUGE cast of different characters in the modern Adam/Adora era, and not such a small, confined-feeling world as limited by the 8-back characters only.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash77 View Post
    Minicomics: 2 birds, one stone.
    Looks more like a washed out blueish green. Wouldn't exactly call the blue but colors are sometimes in the eye of the beholder.

Anyway, I'd view a Mer-Man released like that the same way I saw the 200X repaints like reverse Two-bad, Disco Skeletor, etc. ... undesirable.

How on earth can the original characters--the 8-back--be 'fringe'?
    It doesn't get more fringe than "He-Ro", and he sold quite nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    As long as they sell.

A lot of these ideas are pretty fringe.
    I don't think hardly anyone outside of a small group here would even be able to recognize them, let alone identify their significance.

Agreed.
    I'm fine with the inclusion of early mini-comics stuff, I just hope they don't go overboard with it.

For me, the "real" MotU only exists with the HUGE cast of different characters in the modern Adam/Adora era, and not such a small, confined-feeling world as limited by the 8-back characters only.
    The pre-filmation mini comics wasn't a small, confined world with only those 8 characters. First off, it featured Ram Man and Man-E-Faces, who were on the 12-back, and besides that, there were tons of characters, some of whom never appeared in the Adam/Adora era. Hardly fringe. That would be like saying the original Justice League of America only had 7 members and was therefore limited in scope. They still had a broad, unconfined world in which they operated with them encountering many different characters.