Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Barbarian He-Man Thread ( Official Oo-Larr )

Impin' Ain't Easy! DreamTripper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    That's a joke, right?
    I hope so.

Support Bili the Droid
    It's GrAyskull. It's posted all over the packaging and this site.
    CANON-the body of rules, principles, or standards accepted as axiomatic and universally binding in a field of study or art, such as a storyline
    CANNON-a mounted gun for firing heavy projectiles; a gun, howitzer, or mortar.

Imp is here!
    I will change my avatar as soon as Songster is made in MOTUC

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by synthalus View Post
    [SIZE="4"]Other really cool ones:
    • Barbarian/Savage He-Man (features new squinty-eyed Alcala He-Man head, only wears the furry shorts, nothing else, has a spear)

I'm not really that interested in the others like a red Beast Man, Caucasian Stratos, Blue Mer-Man.
    Although it IS a great idea if you see them as more of the same Beast Man & Mer-Man species.
    I might buy 2 of each red Beast Man & 2 of each Blue Mer-Man as Beast Man's & Mer-Man's minions.

Aside from the Pre-Filmation/Mini-Comics, I'd love to see
    • Stratos with Beastman feet and Staff of Avion.
    I hope that we see a few different He-man 'heads' longer hair, happier Adam face... something. Always hated the grimacing angry Adam. And if all these He-man's are supposed to be different people... make them look a 'little' different.

I think that would probably be the best way they could release beastman/merman repaints. As minions. I could see a "Minion Two-pack" with Red Beastman, and other (i don't see it as blue either) Merman. That way people who want just one of each get them both for their pre-filmation set, and people who want a LOT of them can get a couple sets for entire races...

I wouldn't buy it... but I can see them selling it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    I am not fighting, it's just a friendly discussion. Oh, if Filmation weren't off limits I'd love a Christmas Special Skeletor with a smiling face!
    Ohh Smiling Skeletor could be fun

And by fun I mean creepy! Picture him holding one of MAAs heads and just smiling

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    I used to thing it might have been a small group of fans, but recently I have realised that the group is actually pretty big! These forums show the strength of support for the pre-Filmation era.

On my site I have written about how I feel the original barbarian concepts were the most imaginative and inspiring incarnation of the Masters. Having felt that fans of this era have had a hard time ever since the Filmation days (and I'm not suggesting that was all bad), I am now heartened by the fact that Mattel has chosen to 'go barbarian' with a lot of the MOTUC line. There must be a reason behind that decision.
    Don't get me wrong, I love the original concepts of MotU, I just don't necessarily think that those first hastily-put-together mini-comics successfully mined much of MotU's storytelling potential.

Now, had Roger Taylor and some of the other early guys stuck around longer and had more input, that is something I would have loved to see (not necessarily instead of, but in addition to what came later) but to me the strength of the early stuff was the DESIGN strength for action figure characters.

And IMO all these years later, NOBODY has been able to tell what I would consider definitive MotU stories with these characters.

I am totally all for the idea that MOTUC is combining all influences of MotU, but to that end I don't think any particular incarnation or era should get unbalanced weight placed on it.

And if they start releasing all of these obscure renditions of well-known characters I fear that's where it would be heading. Even in something much more documented and popular like DC characters, you don't have that many DCUC collectors requesting stuff akin to "Blue Mer-Man".

It seems most are just happy to have the one, most iconic version of the character and move onto the next group of characters to build the cast as much as possible. And not harp on repeating the same characters again and again until every fan has "their" particular version of each.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    These are repaints of existing major characters. If anything these will require the least new resources compared with making variations of He-Man, Skeletor, Hordak or some MYP characters.
    Still, I'd rather they be more substantial, ie. Zodak and GG.

That's the same problem with Green Goddess. No one outside of fandom knows who she is. That's why they work as bonus figures.
    You kinda got me there.
    Aside from the "free" money that a straight repaint is for Mattel, I'm still pretty floored they made her this early in the line.

Different clothes for the same characters being sold as bonus figures only hardcore fans care about. It's another way to refresh characters when the line is trying to sell Rotar and Gwildor.
    I bet you at that point that a 3rd, 4th, or 5th "Signature He-Man" reissue would still outsell any of these Pre-Filmation ideas.
    Especially if had a tweaked facial expression: closed mouth, smiling, yelling, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Save those tooling dollars and get us a Castle!
    I hear that!!!
    I'd prioritize any kind of CG over all kinds of NEW figures, even!

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I hope that we see a few different He-man 'heads' longer hair, happier Adam face... something. Always hated the grimacing angry Adam. And if all these He-man's are supposed to be different people... make them look a 'little' different.
    Not to mention a unique head for Faker.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I love the original concepts of MotU, I just don't necessarily think that those first hastily-put-together mini-comics successfully mined much of MotU's storytelling potential.
    You are completely right about that. While pre-Filmation fans love the mini-comics canon, there is no doubt that some of them were cobbled together without the effort they deserved. I prefer the Series Two (Gary Cohn) mini-comics to the Series One ones (Alcala) as I think they were better-illustrated and more imaginative. Yet it is Series One which seems to be having a bigger influence on the Classics (so far).

As far as the story-telling potential goes, I think the mini-comics represent a starting point, or a launch pad, into imagination. When I wrote my stories for Vaults , many of those early themes were referred to, from the glorms to a reference to Man-at-Arms' mountain cabin.

The point where I inevitably invite disagreement is where I express my view that the story-telling potential was damaged by the Filmation cartoons rather than the mini-comics.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    As far as the story-telling potential goes, I think the mini-comics represent a starting point, or a launch pad, into imagination.
    Absolutely! And who is to say what stories could've been told had the mandate been other than "sell as many toys as possible, period".

The point where I inevitably invite disagreement is where I express my view that the story-telling potential was damaged by the Filmation cartoons rather than the mini-comics.
    Agree here, too.
    I know Filmation had enough limitations already from "moral groups" and censors and the like.

But all the same, from the perspective of "What kind of stories can we tell with these characters?" I don't they were very successful outside of satisfying their target young children audience.

My personal opinion:
    The most developed set of MOTU mythos come from Filmation. I'm not trying to knock preternia at all, I just feel there is a more developed storyline presented in filmation. I think this is primarily because the original mini comic storyline was essentially abandoned after 4 issues of mini comics, and never really had a chance to be developed. The way they seem to be handling things, intigrating aspects of both into a coherent (so far coherent) "MOTUC history" is a great option in my opinion. It opens up new areas of story to those who are more familiar with one or the other. I think it also allows for some interesting D2D movie ideas set in classics continuity. Perhaps an animated "Barbarian He-Man" movie can be made, as well as a POG movie, and a "Prince Adam Era" all representing different time periods on Eternia

Quote Originally Posted by synthalus View Post
    Savage He-Man is NOT an obscure character because Savage He-Man is the very first He-Man ever.
    I'm sure many others do care about this figure. Maybe not as much as Buzz-Off, Ram-Man, Mekaneck, Man-E-Faces, etc. but he is still a very significant character in the MOTU history because he's the first.
    He would be a perfect 2011 Bonus figure like Wun-Dar.
    I agree but can we get some extra love for Skeletor too? hes just as important as He-Man and with possible releases of other villans i dont want his status as lord of destruction to be disminished, something that the 80s line i felt was guilty of later on....

They should use the "hairy" torso that Zodac and Stratos have and For the head, they should resculpt the original 1982 He-Man's head as close as possible.
    Danielsan

Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by King Tycho View Post
    My personal opinion:
    The most developed set of MOTU mythos come from Filmation. I'm not trying to knock preternia at all, I just feel there is a more developed storyline presented in filmation. I think this is primarily because the original mini comic storyline was essentially abandoned after 4 issues of mini comics, and never really had a chance to be developed. The way they seem to be handling things, intigrating aspects of both into a coherent (so far coherent) "MOTUC history" is a great option in my opinion. It opens up new areas of story to those who are more familiar with one or the other. I think it also allows for some interesting D2D movie ideas set in classics continuity. Perhaps an animated "Barbarian He-Man" movie can be made, as well as a POG movie, and a "Prince Adam Era" all representing different time periods on Eternia
    No doubt Filmation is more developed. 4 mini-comics versus 130 (+93 counting She-Ra) 22 minute cartoons...

There is the second year of Texiera books, but I think those are of modern He-Man since Tri-Klops and Teela have their bios follow those books.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Exactly, this is what I mean.
    If you guys are gonna "demand" a "blue Mer-Man" then why not a He-Man with a white harness as seen in that same panel?
    Nobody is 'demanding' anything . It's just a discussion no different than any other on the forum for multiple characters, from 'Geldor' to 'Plundor'. Well except for Barbarian He-Man being a confirmed release
    As for Mer Man, you're comparing that to a colour error. He was blue. I don't have a problem with either the blue or green version, both look natural to me.

But single carding these and shoehorning them into the line when there are sooooo many other characters to tackle doesn't seem like the best use of limited resources.
    I think MegaGearMax said it best--"It's another way to refresh characters when the line is trying to sell Rotar and Gwildor."

Aside from WB He-Man (who we're getting for much the same reason) and the Giants, He-Ro has long been a Holy Grail for tons of MotU collectors.
    I only know who He-Ro is because they recently made the figure, and I purchased it. I had given up my motu toys long before any of those later concepts started to materialize.
    Judging from things I've read on this forum in regards to female characters, I'm pretty sure they could make a barbarian-dressed Teela at some point and she'd sell quite well.

You can't possibly tell me that Red Beast Man (a color choice made on the fly because they were making it up as they went along) has anywhere close to that kind of mythic status.
    Yup. Compared to the HUGE cast of characters that would come later, it's a very small-feeling world.
    One of the biggest draws of MotU for me was always the diversity of the characters and the "go anywhere, do anything" aspect.
    That is not at all represented in the original mini-comics IMO.
    That was the beginning of the story. They met more people and then met other people, etc. The first 2 waves of figures were all pre-filmation, and I still considered that to be the "real" story as more figures were made and the cartoon started.
    I agree that a big cast of characters is a big draw, so why try to limit it further? Personally I wouldn't want a red Beast Man, or an Alcala Skeletor (I also don't really see any real difference), or the caucasian Stratos. But if people are talking about refreshing the characters, perhaps years down the road, I don't see the big deal?

I'd prioritize any kind of CG over all kinds of NEW figures, even!
    On that we can agree!

LOL! Well, you don't get anymore Classic than the original mini-comics. And as I've been repeatedly told many times over the years while campaigning for 200X, this is MOTU Classic.

I don't think you have anything to fear. These have bonus figures written all over them, so they won't interfere with the regular monthly releases. Besides, these are essentially repaints (although some will need minimal tooling), effectively paying for future figures.
    I agree. I love this thread. The mini-comics by drawn by Alfredo Alcala were what got me into MOTU so heavily. I HATED the whole Orko and Prince Adam thing. I am sure I am a minority. I also understand that the comics would not have been child-friendly enough for a cartoon in the early 80's.

I digress a bit. I would also love to see the Savage He-man (not necessarily Wonderbread, but happy to see him still) and more Alcala looking versions of the toys.

I am also a bit surprised that since they made a Green Goddess, that her extra accessories (for He-man) weren't blue. In the minis they were more blue than they were gray. It would also have been a great nod to the weapons pack that had the light blue Power Sword and battle axe.

Just my thooughts.

Again, awesome thread!

I wonder how they would explain Skeletor being in the past? Has there always been a version of "Skeletor" to battle every version of He-Man? Could this be someone other than Keldor? Or could this be the Skeletor that we know traveling back in time to capture Grayskull and steal the Power Sword?

The other possibility that I can think of... could this version of Skeletor actually be Demo-Man? That could explain the Alcala style head and human style feet that he has. If this is the case, he would be an easy variant of Skeletor to make, and would allow for both him and the Barbarian to have bare feet by using the same mold.

Last edited by Captain Atkin; December 17, 2009 at 11:30am.

I'm all for more mini comic figures. I like the pre Filmation continuity. Barbarian HM, Viking HM, any of that would be great to have.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I think you underestimate just how many people loved those old mini-comics as kids. They may not be nostalgic to you, but they are the origins of He-Man to a whole lot of people.
    Agreed!

I'm one of those people! Boo on Prince Adam!
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Captain Atkin, I have wondered the same and here's what I think will happen in the bios. I think that Wun-Dar will in fact be the He-Man depicted in the first 4 stories. He has brown hair now, and apparently carried a blaster pistol and wore cosmic armor instead. The Skeletor seen in these comics will turn out to have been Demo-Man, as seen in the SDCC Art Book/original concept art for MOTU.

Of course, perhaps it will be a bit different...

Perhaps Vikor, when we get him, will be this He-Man, likely the first to be called so, and he will be the one to have battled Demo-Man.

Meanwhile, back in 400 years later, Wun-Dar battled someone like Karak-Nul in his human form.

In fact, I like that version of the story better. I really think that Vikor should be the first He-Man. Sharella the Goddess of course, would have been around for both.

I just want to know where and when the Sorceress will fit in with all this.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Court Magician

Savage He-Man works!

Frankly, I was collecting the line before the cartoon ever came out, and the mini comics made a lot more of an impression on me than that whole elaborate and somewhat dissapointing version from fundamation.

I found the whole Prince Adam/Cringer/Orko story too controled and limited for my likings, because I grew up with things like Thundar the Barbarian, Conan comics, Hurculoids, ect. My whole view of fantasy/sci-fi was much too raw and primal to have it drastically kiddyfied with comedy & alter egos that nobody believes.

The original mini comics were like a cool world where what you could imagine was possible, and not bond by the typical trappings of complex stoy structure, so it was simply more appealing and fun IMO.

As for the figures, I bought a green Goddess just for that reason!

Welcome aboard, KingKnuckleDragger! Nifty screenname, too.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

No doubt Filmation is more developed. 4 mini-comics versus 130 (+93 counting She-Ra) 22 minute cartoons...

There is the second year of Texiera books, but I think those are of modern He-Man since Tri-Klops and Teela have their bios follow those books.
    I lump the Tex stuff in with the first four since there's no Prince Adam in sight.

So Barbarian He-Man is Oo-lar? No wonder why he changed his name to He-Man...

I will concede to the awfulness of the name in this case.
    But to me he's He-Man, Adam, the one and only anyway. I do like that they're calling him "Jungle He-Man" though, b/c I really dislike the 'barbarian' moniker.

Quote Originally Posted by KingKnuckleDragger View Post
    Frankly, I was collecting the line before the cartoon ever came out, and the mini comics made a lot more of an impression on me than that whole elaborate and somewhat dissapointing version from fundamation.

I found the whole Prince Adam/Cringer/Orko story too controled and limited for my likings, because I grew up with things like Thundar the Barbarian, Conan comics, Hurculoids, ect. My whole view of fantasy/sci-fi was much too raw and primal to have it drastically kiddyfied with comedy & alter egos that nobody believes.

The original mini comics were like a cool world where what you could imagine was possible, and not bond by the typical trappings of complex stoy structure, so it was simply more appealing and fun IMO.

As for the figures, I bought a green Goddess just for that reason!

Yep, exactly the same for me. The mini-comic is what had me hooked and then the cartoon came along. I think the cartoon is what pushed me more toward G.I.Joe. Sure the G.I.Joe cartoon had it's goofy times as well, but it had an ongoing comic that took it over the top. Had He-Man been published in a monthly comic equal to the original mini-comics and wasn't spotty limited series, I would have really been as into He-Man as I am G.I.Joe.
    ----------------------------------
    Joe

My G.I.Joe page
    Facebook
    EBAY
    D&J Toys - Display Bases and more!

I posted earlier in the Gy-Gor tthread about how I believe that we're going tobe introduced to idea that their is a He-Man for every generation, much like the Phantom, though not all were descendants of King Grayskull. Adam, being the first of Grayskull's descendants to wield the Sword of He, and needing a secret identity, was the first to actually call himself "He-Man".

I got some ideas about the Goddess, the Sorceress, and Teela (and Tee-La, for that matter), so I guess I need to find the Goddess thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jrock323 View Post
    I posted earlier in the Gy-Gor tthread about how I believe that we're going tobe introduced to idea that their is a He-Man for every generation, much like the Phantom, though not all were descendants of King Grayskull. Adam, being the first of Grayskull's descendants to wield the Sword of He, and needing a secret identity, was the first to actually call himself "He-Man".

I got some ideas about the Goddess, the Sorceress, and Teela (and Tee-La, for that matter), so I guess I need to find the Goddess thread.
    That's exactly what Mattel has done. Green Goddess' bio from October of last year revealed that in MOTUC, there has been a He-Man running around for five hundred years since King Grayskull. We know 4 of them...Grayskull, Wun-Dar, Oo-lar and Adam.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; June 18, 2010 at 03:22pm.

So then, how old do you guys think Oo-Larr is in those mini-comics, and what do you think became of him?

I'd prefer it if the character was a little older to start with (so he could be in his 40's-50's when Adam came of age-- a good time to pass on the reigns). I'd also reeeally like it if they would use a new head for this character. Or at least give him a new nose and longer hair. I'm not so down on the identical clones aspect of this Generational He-Man business...
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post
    So then, how old do you guys think Oo-Larr is in those mini-comics, and what do you think became of him?

I'd prefer it if the character was a little older to start with (so he could be in his 40's-50's when Adam came of age-- a good time to pass on the reigns). I'd also reeeally like it if they would use a new head for this character. Or at least give him a new nose and longer hair. I'm not so down on the identical clones aspect of this Generational He-Man business...
    He's probably as old as Man-At-Arms is.