Thread: MotUC (?) from Hong Kong on eBay

MotUC (?) from Hong Kong on eBay

Was just scrolling on eBay and noticed for the first time what looks like MotUC figures (not just accessories, as I've seen in the past) on sale direct from Hong Kong.

Generally, this means either left over stock, or that the molds were kept and some folks are producing knock-offs (which is the case with a lot of WoW figures).

This can be super frustrating for a collector, so I wanted to post a heads-up... but it can be great for folks doing customs, because you can get (for example) a battle-armor he-man for something like $30, and so on.

What are folks' thoughts on this practice? Useful custom-fodder, hurtful counterfeiting, or does the presence of an unauthorized production make the official article more valuable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could be either/or in this case. Probably leftover stock considering Matty Collector's pending closure and sales, especially if it's d-lister characters, but KO companies have been making 98% accurate KOs recently, such as Masterpiece Transformers or Star Wars Black Series which are very hard to distinguish from the real versions.

This can lead to some people wanting the KOs because if the KO is the same as the real deal for half the price, then those people will jump on it just to save money and boost their collections. We also have that weird case where the only way to buy many of these figures is secondhand and the market can get pretty bad, so if we see perfect Trap Jaw clones for $15-$20 or less getting cranked out then those are going to become very appealing to some. But then again, if the seller IDs it as a KO that's one thing, but expect a lot of them to be treated as official, and eBay's policies on fraud sales have gotten lax, you're not likely to pay more sending it back to Asia than it's even worth. Ebay stopped the whole "smash it and take a photo" thing, they want it sent back now.

Usually from what I've seen it's factory seconds that end up on eBay. Figures that don't pass quality checks.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfHeMan View Post
    Usually from what I've seen it's factory seconds that end up on eBay. Figures that don't pass quality checks.
    If it didn't pass Matty's "quality check" I'd sure hate to see it...
    Follow me on Instagram @Clo4k4ndD4gger for MOTUC pics and more.

My Top Most Wanted MOTUC: The Twiggets, Granita, Dylamug, Quakke, Sagitar, Spinwit, Spirit, Staghorn, Cringer (articulated adult form), Catra's Cat Form, Kayo, Filmation Tung Lashor, Master Sebrian, Drissi, Caz, Kittrina, Hawke/Delora, Attak Trak, Roton, Land Shark, Spidor.

I've had a couple of figures from hong kong sellers, they look alright to me.

I got Battle Armor He-Man.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by mARTO View Post
    I got Battle Armor He-Man.
    How does it look and feel compared to other MOTUC classics?

I have also seen a couple and have been tempted to buy them.

Loose samples could either be factory rejects or stolen copies. Some Chinese sellers almost specialize in unloading factory reject pieces exclusively, though you may not always get accessories and there's that chance of random defects.

I'm actually surprised the line hasn't seen heavy KO releases. Maybe Asia has little interest in it? I know Zodac had a KO and a couple others may have too, but we've not seen the big name characters being bootlegged.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    Loose samples could either be factory rejects or stolen copies. Some Chinese sellers almost specialize in unloading factory reject pieces exclusively, though you may not always get accessories and there's that chance of random defects.

I'm actually surprised the line hasn't seen heavy KO releases. Maybe Asia has little interest in it? I know Zodac had a KO and a couple others may have too, but we've not seen the big name characters being bootlegged.
    Having lived in Asia for a long time, I can safely say that most people outside of Malaysia, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore have never even heard of He-Man. Most of the action figures are of Transformers, Anime characters and some one called Ultra Man. More recently there are a lot of Marvel and DC toys available.

I am however, making attempts to correct this massive hole in their upbringing by constantly showing off my MOTUC new arrivals

Quote Originally Posted by WalkerBoh View Post
    How does it look and feel compared to other MOTUC classics?

I have also seen a couple and have been tempted to buy them.
    I will recieve BA He-Man in January.
    I bought Zodac a couple of years ago just to see, and I couldn't make out any difference from the original. He is the only KO I have.

Quote Originally Posted by jastiles View Post
    if it didn't pass matty's "quality check" i'd sure hate to see it...
    bwahahahahaha!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WalkerBoh View Post
    Having lived in Asia for a long time, I can safely say that most people outside of Malaysia, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore have never even heard of He-Man. Most of the action figures are of Transformers, Anime characters and some one called Ultra Man. More recently there are a lot of Marvel and DC toys available.

I am however, making attempts to correct this massive hole in their upbringing by constantly showing off my MOTUC new arrivals
    I can definitely sympathize. I moved to Asia about a year and a half ago and left my entire MOTUC collection back in the states, and while I've contemplated starting another collection here, it's just not really practical, and just the overall selection of available toys is pretty disappointing. It's kind of ironic really, given that pretty much all toys are made here, you would think that they would find some way to market them to the locals, if only for the purposes of being able to dump unsold stock.

I saw a BA He-Man on eBay, MOC from HL last night. Was no less costly than buying from a US seller- $45 shipped. I'd think if they were cranking out KOs they'd be doing more than just that one toy and probably charging less.

Are these legit? They seem like a good price. Cheaper then others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seller is no longer listed. He/she flew the coop
    Why am I not surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    It could be either/or in this case. Probably leftover stock considering Matty Collector's pending closure and sales, especially if it's d-lister characters, but KO companies have been making 98% accurate KOs recently, such as Masterpiece Transformers or Star Wars Black Series which are very hard to distinguish from the real versions.

This can lead to some people wanting the KOs because if the KO is the same as the real deal for half the price, then those people will jump on it just to save money and boost their collections. We also have that weird case where the only way to buy many of these figures is secondhand and the market can get pretty bad, so if we see perfect Trap Jaw clones for $15-$20 or less getting cranked out then those are going to become very appealing to some. But then again, if the seller IDs it as a KO that's one thing, but expect a lot of them to be treated as official, and eBay's policies on fraud sales have gotten lax, you're not likely to pay more sending it back to Asia than it's even worth. Ebay stopped the whole "smash it and take a photo" thing, they want it sent back now.
    Yeah I've intentionally bought some KO MP Transformers for my nephews. The listing were clearly stated as KO. The kids fell in love with my MP line and they had seen the Sunbow cartoon before any other incarnation of Transformers and wanted to have toys that looked like the cartoon. But after dropping like $90 a pop at TRU for Grimlock I knew I had to find another alternative. The packaging, toy, and paint quality were surprisingly good. I'm no pro but they would have fooled me. The only thing I did notice were some tolerance issues on the joints-no worse than many 3rd party bots though. Rumble's arms kept poping out of the socket at the shoulder BUT better that they not pop out and the kid snap the thing. The kids just HAD to have the "guy with jackhammer hands, and the bird"-thank God they were little and cheap. As long as the seller is up front about what they are and the quality is close I'd say it' a smart choice for young kids who would only break, destroy or loose the figures anyway.

The China Wars have been raging for years. Amazing for customizers.

Usually they'll be dirty, have missing paint apps, fused joints, no accessories....but otherwise just fine if you're gonna cut 'em up and paint 'em.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by jastiles View Post
    If it didn't pass Matty's "quality check" I'd sure hate to see it...
    You could see them, but they couldn't see you. The wonk eyes would be on a whole 'nother level!

I've bought a couple of items shipped from overseas. Zodac being one of them - later, I received a second Zodac from a US seller as part of a MOTUC lot. I also have Zodak. I could not distinguish the quality at all between all three. I have a BA He-Man (in package) on it's way from HK. I assumed that it was overstock from the factory; it's excess over the print-run that Matty paid for.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    I have a BA He-Man (in package) on it's way from HK. I assumed that it was overstock from the factory; it's excess over the print-run that Matty paid for.
    Are you sure it's on its way? Can you still contact the seller? My BA He-Man seller probably flew the coop and his account is shut down.
    Last edited by mARTO; January 20, 2017 at 12:50am.

HK/China sellers can be a gamble these days. There are a few ideas going around-

* sellers build up accounts with lots of positive feedback to sell them off
    * seller accounts are hacked
    * sellers just build up positives then rip people off

You have to look at their feedback when buying, even then there's that slim risk. Avoid sellers who suddenly drop prices to about $10 less than other sellers on all their stuff, those are the ones looking to get fast funds then run off. Their trick used to be to give a tracking # that never worked, and by the time you filed a claim 2-3 weeks later they were gone. Now they started shipping envelopes of bracelets or food packets so the tracking works but you don't find out the ruse for a month, and then Paypal wants it filed as SNAD and you have to send it back. You shouldn't have to send anything back on a scam like that but Paypal doesn't care. They want you to pay that hefty USPS fee to send something back to China.

Not that this is any less common with US sellers, but the delay in overseas transit times makes this an easier thing to pull off. Paypal will refund you, out of their own pocket of course, but the seller is long gone with the money.

There are good sellers out there that are well-known, but they tend to charge more than others, and one no longer sells on eBay. They moved to Ali Express. Even then those sellers could get compromised by a hacker at any time.

Anyone received the items from HK ? I am very scared, I've bought a Wun Dar for $45 about a month ago. Seller is not responding to my inquiries. I must wait to mid february to open a case on Ebay. It sucks!!!! Seller feedback was good and no negatives. But seems that you can't trust that anymore...

Heroic Warrior
    Wun-Dar for $45? That's a scam.

MotUC (?) from Hong Kong on eBay

I don't know. It could just be on the slow boat from China. I ordered something small at the end of November from a seller in China and it took almost 7 weeks to arrive once it was originally dispatched from their country.