Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's up for a Stridor at Power Con 2017??

Motuc Blister Eater OnlyOneSkeletor's Avatar

Who's up for a Stridor at Power Con 2017??

Well guys,
    what if the Power Con yet to be confirmed for
    the following year had Stridor under its sleeves?
    I mean, the purpose of the event seems to focus
    on variants right?
    Plus Scott was quite explicit lately,posting
    about the intention to schedule both of the mechanical
    horses in a same year as he still was brand manager of Motuc.
    Which means that other vintage beasts could had
    been added over 2017.
    It'd be fantastic and leave a vacant slot in
    the Collector's Choice sub that Mattel could
    dedicate to another mount,Mantisaur for instance...
    I know at the time i'm sharing this speculation
    the fate of the above mention subscription has been sealed
    but, let's just get funky, shall we?

I don't think that would be a very good idea. An important item like Stridor should be a general release by Matty.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Canada View Post
    I don't think that would be a very good idea. An important item like Stridor should be a general release by Matty.
    Exactly. People would be really upset if that happened after We were given night stalker in 2016. Now that Mattel has the mold tooled it's an easy repaint with no serious cost to them to produce and should be shown at SDCC and offered for the 2017 Collectors Choice sub.
    Looking forward to the rest of 2016 with Collectors Choice, Club Grayskull & Thundercats.........Excited for 2017 with Brian Flynn of Super7 & Four Horsemen taking over the MOTUC's, Club Grayskull and Hopefully Thundercats collectors lines

Heroic Warrior
    I think it is essentially a bad idea unless MOTUC really ends this year and the only way to get Stridor would be as a conference exclusive.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    People would be really upset if that happened after We were given night stalker in 2016. Now that Mattel has the mold tooled it's an easy repaint with no serious cost to them to produce and should be shown at SDCC and offered for the 2017 Collectors Choice sub.
    Well, i haven't suggested it shouldn't be;
    if you reread the remarks i wrote more attentively,
    you'll notice that it is more of a strategy than some kinda refusal regarding to it.
    As for Night Stalker being delivered through Collector's Choice & making
    Stridor an easy bet in this very same purpose, just
    look how things were apprehended this year with Granamyr...

Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    I think it is essentially a bad idea unless MOTUC really ends this year and the only way to get Stridor would be as a conference exclusive.
    I agree. If MOTUC ends this would be a perfect way to get Stridor. If it doesn't end I think I's prefer more obscure variants for PowerCon
    Awesome sticker included!

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOneSkeletor View Post
    Well, i haven't suggested it shouldn't be;
    if you reread the remarks i wrote more attentively,
    you'll notice that it is more of a strategy than some kinda refusal regarding to it.
    As for Night Stalker being delivered through Collector's Choice & making
    Stridor an easy bet in this very same purpose, just
    look how things were apprehended this year with Granamyr...
    Granamyr is not a fair comparison since Mattel was never offering us a Green Granamyr.

Powercon wanted exclusives and made a special deal with mattel for these three figures. Mattel was never offering them in a sub to us or as an out of sub item. They were manufactured as a special order for powercon only and Powercon set the price not Mattel. Mattels only involvement with these was they manufactured them.
    Looking forward to the rest of 2016 with Collectors Choice, Club Grayskull & Thundercats.........Excited for 2017 with Brian Flynn of Super7 & Four Horsemen taking over the MOTUC's, Club Grayskull and Hopefully Thundercats collectors lines

Widget
    Plus!: Stridor would need to have his OWN helmet sculpted/tooled to make him accurate/complete. This is apparently Not in the realm of possibility for a strictly NO new sculpt/tooled piece item such as the Power-Con Exclusive figures are...

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Slither View Post
    Plus!: Stridor would need to have his OWN helmet sculpted/tooled to make him accurate/complete. This is apparently Not in the realm of possibility for a strictly NO new sculpt/tooled piece item such as the Power-Con Exclusive figures are...
    I believe the Horsemen sculpted one for Nightstalker so it would all just need to be redone in stridors colors since the two war horses are identical

Heroic Warrior
    Is a good idea only if MOTUC really ends, if not at Power Con 2017 I want something like Minicomics Trap Jaw, Stratos or Disco Skeletor!

Widget
    I believe the Horsemen sculpted one for Nightstalker so it would all just need to be redone in stridors colors since the two war horses are identical

The HORSES are identical, but their HELMETS most definitely are NOT!

http://news.toyark.com/2016/02/14/to...display-195071

TF 2016 Mattel MOTU 032
    Last edited by Lord_Slither; May 27, 2016 at 01:13pm.

Granamyr is not a fair comparison since Mattel was never offering us a Green Granamyr.
    Yeah... and they never offered a Red Beastmen either, did they?
    So the real questions to ask are these:

-Could Power Con give a little attention to such an opportunity?
    -Was the forementioned event meant to offer variants?

It seems like the common answer is... Yes!
    Now, that's just a deep conviction i'm sharing.
    I could be wrong, indeed.

Heroic Warrior

Stridor is not a variant of Night Stalker. They are two completely different characters that just share a lot of the same tooling.

Green Granymyr is a variant. Red Beast Man is a variant. Camo Khan may or may not be a variant of Kobra Khan; we don't know how he fits into the canon yet.

But in any case, Stridor is a high profile figure, not an obscure repaint. He could be a SDCC exclusive, but not a Power-Con exclusive unless MOTUC is ended and the line continues with a once a year con exclusive like G.I. Joe currently does.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

The point is, Stridor isn't a "variant". He is a totally different character.

You seem to be confusing "shared parts" with "variants" or in this case, "repaints".

PowerCon has three straight-up repaints. Stridor is not a repaint, much less a variant, therefore you would find quite a bit of resistance to Mattel allowing a third-party control of it as they did with these repaints.

TF 2016 Mattel MOTU 032
    Alright, i hear your point but,
    Toyguru highlighted on the following point:
    he has allocated funds to produce both of these
    when came the time
    to schedule the 2016 roadmap.
    To me it clearly means that no matter where/how
    Stridor is offered, the new tooling matter becomes null.
    Again, that's just me.
    But the point of this debate was to determine
    the feasibilityof such a thing;
    mounts becoming so rare lately;
    and based on the current situation
    it may take forever to cover the essentials (vintage ones).

TF 2016 Mattel MOTU 032
    I stand corrected. Ok then that would be the only newly sculpted part needed since the bodies are the same.

Evil Sorcerer & Commander Zargon's Avatar
    Bad idea.
    Top MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah, Lady Slither, Tuvar & Baddrah 2-pack

I feel like you are operating under some mistaken assumptions here. "Was the forementioned event meant to offer variants?" The purpose of Power Con is NOT to offer MOTUC variants. Power Con existed for several years on it's own with no special figure variant. The convention in trying to re-establish itself reached out to Mattel to see if they might be able to commission an exclusive figure to be distributed at the con. But that doesn't mean that Power Con is part of Mattel's release strategy plan.

Red Beast Man is a mini-comic variant that likely was never going to be given an official Matty Collector release. Green Granamyr was likewise a source accurate repaint that Matty didn't have plans to revisit. Camo Khan is a design based on variant created by a foreign distributor of MOTU and so, again, was very unlikely to be on Matty's official release schedule.

It has already been confirmed that Stridor was included as part of the original proposal for the 2016 subscription. It is an item that is assuredly in whatever plans Matty still has for offering MOTUC product. For that reason it is not likely something they would farm out to PowerCon.

As others have said, however. If Mattel had decided to finally pull the plug on MOTUC and did not have plans to offer further product at retail - at that point, if Power Con approached them about the idea to offer Stridor, then they might consider it as a way to get more money out of an existing mold. But I think Matty will try to offer Stridor themselves in 2017 and if Power Con revisits the exclusive idea it is likely to once again be of the straight repaint variety.

Though who knows... maybe they could convince Matty to mix and match the parts enough to deliver a Tug-O-War figure for a future convention

Bad idea for the following reasons: (Unless there's NO CC 2017/cons/site exclusives like orange hair Fisto & Stridor!)

1. PRICE - The PC Price would be a LOT higher for Stridor + non/attendee pass Fees.

2. NO original STRIDOR Helmet.

3. NO original Packaging, art or bio.

4. NO REFUNDS or RETURNS of DEFECTIVE products from Matty's factory. We EAT the COST as Val has stated no Returns/Replacements/Refunds. (I pray to God for the sake of mankind, that my x3 Camo Khans, x2 Red Beastman, & x2 Green Granamyr come to me undroken & presentable!!! :
    Above statements are based on the "Rules" of PC exclusives for 2016, as explained by the lovely & talented *Val Stapes!
    (*Yes changed his last name...like Stapes better now. V-Stape fo short! *)
    Last edited by invisibleboy; May 27, 2016 at 05:11pm.
    invisibleboy - Unseen, But DEFINITELY NOT Unheard! Sorry bout it.

Not me. Not unless the line ends. Otherwise he'll cost $110.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Icer and Filmation Clawful made. Mission complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Canada View Post
    Exactly. People would be really upset if that happened after We were given night stalker in 2016. Now that Mattel has the mold tooled it's an easy repaint with no serious cost to them to produce and should be shown at SDCC and offered for the 2017 Collectors Choice sub.
    Agreed. Considering they were good enough t offer non attendees an option to get all 3 Powercon exclusives. Why would they pull a rabbit out of their hat and leave Stridor out? I second the motion that an item like Stridor should be a general release on Matty of not a sub item.

Has it even been confirmed yet there is a Power-Con 2017? Why not get 2016 out the way first?
    At this point I just HOPE for Dylamug and Hunga the Harpy!

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritOfTeela View Post
    The point is, Stridor isn't a "variant". He is a totally different character.

You seem to be confusing "shared parts" with "variants" or in this case, "repaints".

PowerCon has three straight-up repaints. Stridor is not a repaint, much less a variant, therefore you would find quite a bit of resistance to Mattel allowing a third-party control of it as they did with these repaints.
    I don't believe Kamo Khan is a repaint.

If we don't have any other options, I would welcome this.

But it would make him a very limited release and a very expensive toy.

We are better off if we can get him in a regular 2017 line.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon766 View Post
    I don't believe Kamo Khan is a repaint.
    He doesn't have any newly sculpted parts.
    ALAS, POOR CLASSICS....

Top want list: Mask of Power Demons, Snake Goddess Teela, GITD Goddess, Snake Mountain Man, Dree-Elle & Montork, 200X Beast-Man, Red Beast, Ra-Jar, Great Black Wizard, Dragoon, King Torius, 200x Centaur Chief, Queen Andreeno.

2 Collectors' Choice. 2 2.0s 3 Thundercats
    ME WANT MORE MYTHIC LEGIONS!

WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM

if it were the only way to guarantee it: absolutely.

I hope it doesnt come to that, but we shall see.

Alot of people refrence "being upset" about stuff, but frankly I'm just glad an official Camo Khan exists, even though it cost WAY more than I wanted to pay, I paid it, because I wanted it and I am glad it exists.

At the end of the day I just want the opportunity to get more product, and it has to exist for me to get it. Do it however it has to happen.