Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DC New 52 He-Man Line

DC New 52 He-Man Line

So, the idea was bounced around a while back asking whether fans would want to see a line of figures based upon the new Masters of the Universe comics from DC. I think that with the MOTUC brand ending in 2016, it might be the perfect time to roll a brand "refresh" in with this idea, as well as giving fans some long sought after 2.0 figures. Of course, everything would still be in the same scale, using the MOTUC buck system, so it would be a good jumping in point for new collectors, and also give old collectors something to collect as well, being able to fill holes in their collection, or just adding some "refreshed" new figures. Also, with the DC Comics as a jumping off point, the line wouldn't necessarily have to be sub only online - it could be sold in comic shops the same as many other lines are (of course, subs could still be available from Matty Collector.com). This DC line could be in addition to a MattyCollector.com only line that focuses more on plumbing the obscure depths of MOTU, or they could be side by side. Either way, there's a lot of options to how to sell it directly, but I'm not too concerned about that, let's take a look at the designs of the characters we'd see in the line:

He-Man: He's had a few different looks in the comic, and this is the one I like best (also his first one, which is a good place to start). You can't have a MOTU line without He-Man and Skeletor, so this is my jumping in point. He's had a couple other looks in the comics that would make fun figures as well, but this one would be most recognizable as He-Man to Mr. Joe Averagecomicbookshopdude. He could come packaged with his power sword, which could just be a reuse of the Classics sword.

Skeletor: He's also had a couple different looks in the comic. I'm not too crazy about this design, but it's the closest to the classic Skeletor design, and you can't have He-Man without Skeletor, so here we go. He could come with his classic Havok staff, the Keldor cape, and the red skull we see him with here.

Beast Man: If you have Skeletor, you have to have minions. The Beast Man design in the comics sticks pretty close to the classic Beast Man design. There would definitely be some new sculpting here, but a lot of parts could be reused. He's a highly sought after figure, so a 2.0 figure would do us some good.

Shadow Weaver: I don't know if they'd actually want to make another Shadow Weaver, as it might feel like reneging on their promise to keep her a sub exclusive, but I think the design is different enough here from the Filmation look that we got to make it OK. There's a lot of great folds and details that are possible here.

Despara: Probably the best new character from the comics, and the one everyone knows. This would make an awesome figure. We could have two heads (one masked, one unmasked), a staff, two matching swords, and the snake blade she recently got in the comics.

Tri Klops: Another figure in high demand. The design here is very 200x. He could come with an all silver version of his Classics sword, and the blaster he's seen holding in these pics.

Teela: Teela's also had a few different looks in the comics, but this is the one closest to her "classic" look. I personally prefer the "Battle Armor" Teela look we've had in the past few issues, but this look I think will make people happiest that are looking for a 2.0 Teela. She could comic packaged with both a blonde and a red haired head to recreate both looks.

Horde Trooper: An opportunity for them to either print more Horde Troopers using the Classics mold exactly, or update the look to be more "aggressive" (which I know some people wanted). They could even come with the Octavia style head like we see on the commander here.

Trap Jaw: Another popular Classics figure. The Trap Jaw 2.0 figure could have a lot of great details like we see here with the comic design, and still be very recognizable. He's had a few pretty gnarly looking arm attachments that could perhaps be made backwards compatible with the current one.

Sorceress: She's had a couple different looks in the comic, but I prefer this more "classic" look. They could pretty much just repaint the current classics figure with orange inside the wings to match this look, or they could use it as an opportunity to re-engineer the wings to make something more collector friendly.

Roboto: The version in the comics is more "armored up," so that would avoid any clear plastic torso cracking issues. The head could be swapped onto the current Roboto for a more 200x look.

Fisto: He looks pretty much identical in the comics to his Classics look, so this would be a good opportunity to re-release him, maybe with a different armor piece or something.

Ram Man: Also looks pretty much identical to his Classics version, maybe re-release the Classics version with a new head with open eyes.

Goddess: A chance to make up for Exploding Goddess 1.0. She's had a couple looks in the comics, I prefer the one she's sporting on the cover here.
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things arenít absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I donít collect toys to be miserable. So Iíd rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

I'd be very much up for this, AND I thnk that if they did it as you say, and were able to sell at least the basic figures in comic books shops, it would work. I've argued for this.

But to be fair, you are including the best looks these characters have had in the comics. He-Man and Skelly have also had some fugly looks....
    Last edited by No-Ah; August 30, 2014 at 12:38am.
    Top want list: Evil Seed, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200x Beast-Man, Teela 2.0, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

I would have been pretty against this in the past, but I'm enjoying the comic these days and some of the designs are pretty cool.

Personally, I'd buy:

1. He-man. If he sported the look that you see on the COVERS above sans the needless scalemail, I'd be up for that. But I've actually really warmed up to his current look, pants and all. And it feels very different for him.

2. Skeletor. Weirdly, I'd kind of like the big horned version instead of the early scalemail one. It's not for everyone, but I like how distinct it is, and it seems like that version is getting introduced into MOTUC.

3. Tri-Klops. A way to get 200X Trike in. Sounds good to me.

4. Goddess. It's a cool look. I do like the version on the cover best. The one in the comic is okay, though.

5. Despara. Want her SO much.

I'd support some of the designs from the new issues. I really like the changed artwork. I was not a fan in the middle of this comic run, but I had the subscription so I was stuck. Luckily it changed to something I could bear and actually enjoyed looking at.

However, I just recently moved and the comic book shop today that I went into to try and pick up issues 15 and 16? (July and August) told me they didn't even stock the comic.

So now I get to spend my Saturday checking all the Comic Book stores in Albuquerque to find one that actually stocks comics besides The Walking Dead and Avengers.

However, I would LOVE to get figures inspired by the comics. Despara would be a must too.

I would buy this sub in a heartbeat. I've really grown to like the designs and the story.

Well, color me convinced.

Heroic Warrior
    As the only currently running media, this honestly seems like the most logical direction for Mattel to take the brand in.

No! Never! I like the storys but most of the designs just awful. I would not buy them!

Yessir! I would definitely want to Sub anything MOTU Related!

Be it same buck like Classics so the Classics line continue or similar to the DC collectibles line (but with articulation like the crime syndicate series)... Either way count me in!

(and please add some new adventures vintage figs to it as well... )

Widget
    Yes please! But I want horde armor he-man and tusk skeletor!

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I'd totally be down for a DC line or sub.

I really like the latest He-Man armor which I think is the best as it still looks barbarian like but also a modern take with the red pants and boots.

I think the armored Teela is also good, although I would buy any version.

I know he isn't popular but I also like the tusked Skeletor which has also made his way into the MOTUC mini comics although he has a Scareglow arm.

Roboto and Stratos also look pretty cool as well as the Sorceress Teela.

Despara is a must any line I think at this point.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Heroic Warrior
    I would like to have some of the concept interpretations that Pop Mhan made:

I'd like Despera. That is all.

Great thread! I have not been reading the comics so it is interesting to see all these designs in one place. I really like the Goddess in particular and can see this idea as a good way to get more 2.0 versions out there.
    The Lurkiest

**Scott please make me a Staghorn**

Heroic Warrior
    Also i would like to have from the DC comic:

Queen Veena (essential character for the whole MOTU mythos and she should be already have a Classic Figure):

King Randor:

The Rock People (since we probably never get the Filmation ones):

She-Ra of cource:

King Hssss (best DC MOTU villain by far):

Last edited by granamyr80; August 31, 2014 at 08:05pm.

Please no Mohawk Beastman

Skeletor seemed to change shape and looks quite a lot depending who was the artist, however please no horned Skeletor from that cross-over...that was just awful!

Otherwise, maybe? I do not know, the redesigns other than She-ra/Despera hasn't been that interesting...

Don't mind the occasional variant being thrown into the mix, but I definitely wouldn't want the whole line to focus on DC versions of the characters.

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    I have no interest in this whatsoever.

If they go this route, I hope it's in a different scale.

Good to see the comic finally settling on some looks and they are pretty good. The first looks in the DC comic were horrible. If they do make that Roboto, hey can have Ruben come back as it would be a good time for fat armor.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Not for me. Filmation or bust.
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - The Melog - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina - the Twiggets King Ahgo

Filmation fan & proud redsquadron's Avatar
    Once Classics is done, I have no intention of supporting yet another relaunch. Getting the same characters every few years is precisely why I stopped collecting Transformers years ago. No way can I accomodate another potentially 100+ figure line.
    I survived the 2013 sub ordeal!
    "We achieved the impossible, and that makes us MIGHTY" (Mal Reynolds, captain of Serenity)

Heroic Warrior
    What about that Stratos? I'd definitely go for the DC Comics Stratos. That look is so awesome. And I'd like it if we got comic figures in 2016. I'd totally be up for that.

Heroic Warrior
    To be perfectly honest, I'm not too fond of the New 52 movement, period. However...
    If Mattel decides to produce figures from this source (or any other, for that matter), I will only collect these items if they are identical to Classics in scale, detail and articulation. I have ZERO INTEREST in any MOTU product that deviates from the Classics model.
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

I would be into this. I like the new designs.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

I would support it. I really love this story.
    Jii Dee regarding Matty's view on MOTUC Collectors: "Here be whiny surrender monkey dragons".

MOTUC NEEDS: Sssqueeze, Dragstor, Saurod, Blast Attack, & Lord Masque.