Thread: New MOTU short cartoons during SDCC party

Hexcellent Horror Hostess

New MOTU short cartoons during SDCC party

One thing I haven't seen anybody mention yet - there was a Mattel party at Skeletor's Lair on the Thursday night of SDCC which some fans were able to attend. At the party, there were some sweet animated He-Man short cartoons playing in the background. Apparently there are a handful of them (4 of them I think), in different animation styles. The one I saw was a very cool black & white battle in the snow between He-Man and Skeletor. I spoke to one of the folks at Mattel and he said they would definitely find a way to release these animated shorts at some point. As I understand it, they commissioned several animators and let them go to town.

Did anybody get to see any of the other cartoons? The only one I saw was the "snow battle" one.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

How long was the animated short that you saw?
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    How long was the animated short that you saw?
    I didn't time it, but it wasn't very long. I'd say 5 to 7 minutes, maybe? The whole sequence was a battle between He-Man and Skeletor. It was pretty awesome.

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

Heroic Warrior CapricornDefender's Avatar
    "Find a way at some point" that is such a BS answer. This place practically does all their marketing for them. They could upload the content to Mattycollector for free so the store not only has merchandise, but actual media. Also they could pair it up with the app game as content, but the steam probably ran out of that as well.

The fact that they produced it is cool, the fact that it remains unseen and virtually unheard of until your thread posting is not. If some windbag decides to keep the material 'for special attendees eyes' only they're doing the brand a massive disservice.
    Bugul Noz: The Glorious Hunter Not that creativity is actually valued here.

Wow, somebody is bitter....I, for one am exited by this news.
    Danielsan

Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

What’s this? I think the fact I’m only hearing about this now is pretty terrible, actually.

How could this go under the radar? Thanks Danielle.
    Last edited by PIMPS ADAM; August 11, 2015 at 07:07pm.
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    One thing I haven't seen anybody mention yet - there was a Mattel party at Skeletor's Lair on the Thursday night of SDCC which some fans were able to attend. At the party, there were some sweet animated He-Man short cartoons playing in the background. Apparently there are a handful of them (4 of them I think), in different animation styles. The one I saw was a very cool black & white battle in the snow between He-Man and Skeletor. I spoke to one of the folks at Mattel and he said they would definitely find a way to release these animated shorts at some point. As I understand it, they commissioned several animators and let them go to town.

Did anybody get to see any of the other cartoons? The only one I saw was the "snow battle" one.

That is awesome! Any idea what the other three were?
    Is not not licking toads

Quote Originally Posted by CapricornDefender View Post
    "Find a way at some point" that is such a BS answer. This place practically does all their marketing for them. They could upload the content to Mattycollector for free so the store not only has merchandise, but actual media. Also they could pair it up with the app game as content, but the steam probably ran out of that as well.

The fact that they produced it is cool, the fact that it remains unseen and virtually unheard of until your thread posting is not. If some windbag decides to keep the material 'for special attendees eyes' only they're doing the brand a massive disservice.
    Dude, what the hell? How did "they are planning to release them" get translated to "keeping the material for special attendees eyes only?" They were just showing it as a sneak peek at the party, with plans beyond that. I'm sure the Mattel vp wasn't going to give me detailed release plans for these at a party. Why would they spend the money to make animated He-Man shorts and then never release them? It was only a month ago that they showed these (or at least one of them). Give them time.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbryan View Post
    That is awesome! Any idea what the other three were?
    Nope, I only saw the snow battle one.
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; August 11, 2015 at 07:14pm.

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

Sounds awesome. I hope we hear and see more soon!!
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Squirrel that can type Lewd_Squirrel's Avatar
    I wanna see these, now.
    Does Galactus fart?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Wow, somebody is bitter....I, for one am exited by this news.
    Hahaha. I was thinking the same.. on both accounts.. very excited to hear the news. Do I believe we will ever see them, idk. But still cool and I'm curious to see em..

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar

Sort of a harsh reaction here, don't you think? If I recall my conversation with a certain Mattel employee at the party correctly, they are workshopping putting them online (or such) at some point. There is nothing wrong with them teasing them a bit at a He-Man related function even though they won't be released for awhile.
    -Jon

Just released EPISODE 57 - SDCC 2015 Coverage of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

I hope to see you at Power-Con 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    Dude, what the hell? How did "they are planning to release them" get translated to "keeping the material for special attendees eyes only?" They were just showing it as a sneak peek at the party, with plans beyond that. I'm sure the Mattel vp wasn't going to give me detailed release plans for these at a party. Why would they spend the money to make animated He-Man shorts and then never release them? It was only a month ago that they showed these (or at least one of them). Give them time.

Nope, I only saw the snow battle one.
    This sounds frickin' awesome. Im never where the cool stuff is. thanks for letting us know this exists. i hope someone else speaks up with details too.

Wanna see 'em
    Ya Tengo El Poder!!!!!!

Heroic Warrior CapricornDefender's Avatar
    If new MOTU media had been produced and revealed, Mattel could have used this as springboard for the rebranding of the line, and inject some serious life into the brand.

If I was a Mattel VP at the SDCC with this material, I'd be using the power of social media, and word of mouth, and the excitment of the attendees at SDCC to get the word out. It would be huge. Maybe big enough to eclipse the whining over the King Hiss torso threads.

The voice talents in the shorts (would be known voice actors) and they would be encouraged to tweet about their involvement. Teasers would be leaked online. Websites like Fwoosh and others that love the MOTU brand would be brought into the fold. The pics that popped up here of the figure reveals would have been met with screen caps of these shorts. It wouldn't be scuttled away, and a virtual secret at this point. Seems very counter productive.

I would give the fans what they've been asking for. Just wait and see if this gets any of the attention it needs. Am I bitter? Not at all. Am I surprised that nothing was released? Even less.
    Last edited by CapricornDefender; August 12, 2015 at 12:53am.
    Bugul Noz: The Glorious Hunter Not that creativity is actually valued here.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Thank you Danielle for bringing this info to us fans! I am always grateful that you go the extra length to mention these things (like those 200x plans Hartle told at Power-Con, etc) and remember best to your abilities. I wish more fans could jump in to bring these sorts of nuggets... be it on forums, facebook, twitter, wherever.

Since there was no official statement yet, to me; this sounds like something that would be a good way for Mattel to "test the water" with, as you said there were different styled animated shorts.
    And can't wait when they are released.

If new MOTU media had been produced and revealed, Mattel could have used this as springboard for the rebranding of the line, and inject some serious life into the brand.

If I was a Mattel VP at the SDCC with this material, I'd be using the power of social media, and word of mouth, and the excitment of the attendees at SDCC to get the word out. It would be huge. Maybe big enough to eclipse the whining over the King Hiss torso threads.

The voice talents in the shorts (would be known voice actors) and they would be encouraged to tweet about their involvement. Teasers would be leaked online. Websites like Fwoosh and others that love the MOTU brand would be brought into the fold. The pics that popped up here of the figure reveals would have been met with screen caps of these shorts. It wouldn't be scuttled away, and a virtual secret at this point. Seems very counter productive.

I would give the fans what they've been asking for. Just wait and see if this gets any of the attention it needs. Am I bitter? Not at all. Am I surprised that nothing was released? Even less.
    All that sounds really great "if you were Mattel VP". Especially if that was the intention all along, to leak and spread the info. I would love that. Especially as a cartoon lover.
    But in this case we don't know right now what was the intent behind those animated bits.

Robots and Monsters! TrimmTrabb's Avatar
    Maybe some have already been made, I don't know. I wasn't aware of that.
    I was under the impression that what they showed were just large prints and plot summaries of upcoming animated shorts.
    I can tell you for sure that at least one of the projects they showed isn't done.
    Last edited by TrimmTrabb; August 12, 2015 at 09:43am.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Over at facebook, Paul shared this photo from Skeletor's Lair.

Apparently the animated shorts were shown on that TV-screen at the back. Hopefully there are more photos that might even accidentally have caught a glimpse of what was shown.

If Mattel would have made a massive multimedia marketing plan to go along with this, like commercials in every break on every network, billboards plastered in every city, trailers in every movie theater, branded songs on the radio, and their very own "Best Animated Short" awards show eclipsing the Oscars, then they would have a massive hit on their hands. If I was a Mattel VP, I would spare no expense! But no, some Mattel windbag just won't do enough!

(the above was sarcasm. The below is not.)

So... you said there were like four or five shorts? Could they perhaps be intended to "really" debut at the upcoming Mattel-themed art show, by any chance?

Heroic Warrior
    It is strange!

Such short cartoons are very expensive (also in B&W) for Mattel!

Why we get nearly no information about it?

Can you tell us more about the style? Where Skeletor and He-man wearing there regular armor or was it something new? 200X? Barbarian or more Sci-Fi?

Maybee there is something new on the horizon !