Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The Clamp Champ Thread

Agree that his Clamp had better actually clamp - Mattel could get away with making this basic figure for pretty minimal outlay so you need something for the $20. And he would feel like bonus fodder if we weren't so far down the list of A listers already.......

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    The fact that he's so easy to make is all the more reason for them to go the extra mile with his weapon.

A guy with a moniker like Clamp Clamp had better be able to clamp stuff!
    I don't think it needs to be spring loaded like the old figure. Just have the Power Pincer jaws always out and they open and shut manually.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Aye, that would work. So long as they're moved by a lever i'll be happy.

A big fan of Slush Head
    Should he come with the ear pice/ communicator?
    That was a nice little extra from the staction.

I kinda liked that from the 200x sculpt.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TechTrek View Post
    would it be cool if clamp champ was dekkers son. (or maybe grandson?)
    Oh man, come on. Clamp Champ is the son of Mr. T.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Clamp has always been one of my favorites because he actually had special abilities that WEREN'T part of his action feature. The enhanced senses and reflexes shown in the mini-comic made him an actual super-human. I also liked the idea of him being the royal parents' bodyguard, which basically made him part of the inner circle with Duncan and Teela. He seems a very good possibility because:

The Horsmen apparently have a soft spot for him, having designed a figure and a staction for him before many other more popular characters.

He is, as has been pointed out, a very cost effective figure to make.

Odds are, we'll see him as a regular release, not a bonus, as he was a distinct character in the original line.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

I'd be cool with him coming as a normal release, or a bonus figure. If getting him as a bonus means that's one less basic masters figure to do, then sweet. Maybe he can come out in a month where a POP or NA figure is for sale. Basically the more bonus figures they roll out with minimal tooling, hopefully that leads to more unique tooled figures in the line sooner. Eventually they will run out of all the standard He-man body characters

My absolute favorite motu figure. Had him as a kid, and played with him so much he disintegrated. His comic apperances was beyond anything I'd read at that point.
    He was hilarious and brave to the point of foolishness in "who's enemy..", where he and rio blast took on thousands of horde tanks on their own.
    And he was heroic and strong in "lifetime" when he broke his handcuffs with his final bit of strength and gave the sword to prince adam.

I can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    If we're thinking like that, Evil-Lyn, Stinkor and Prince Adam might as well be bonus figures too, because they are just parts-swapped characters just like Zodak.

I think bonus figures should not be defined by their simplicity to make, but be niche characters that are fan demanded, but are characters that not everyone would want to buy.

Clamp Champ should be a regular release, despite him being so ridiculously easy to make.
    One could say Clamp Champ falls more under the "niche characters that are fan demanded, but are characters that not everyone would want to buy" category and would thus be an ideal bonus figure, particularly once Fisto has been released. I (personally) kind of think Prince Adam could be a bonus figure as well (just like Battle Armor He-Man).

I agree with the implication that Evil-Lyn would be a poor choice for a bonus figure, since she is so iconic. She would almost have to be a regular figure, and Stinkor (IMO) falls somewhere in between.

I mean, really? Clamp Champ? Most people (outside the .org, at least) don't even know who he is. I can easily live without him for a while yet.

That being said, I'll still probably get him when he's released.

Court Magician
    [QUOTE=j-bird;2247802]One could say Clamp Champ falls more under the "niche characters that are fan demanded, but are characters that not everyone would want to buy" category and would thus be an ideal bonus figure, particularly once Fisto has been released. I (personally) kind of think Prince Adam could be a bonus figure as well (just like Battle Armor He-Man).

YES, they could release Fisto and CC in the same month with CC as the bonus fig!!!

If they did make a more popular fig like Prince Adam or Evil-Lyn a bonus figure hopefully they'd up the production numbers.

A big fan of Slush Head
    Quote Originally Posted by j-bird View Post
    One could say Clamp Champ falls more under the "niche characters that are fan demanded, but are characters that not everyone would want to buy" category and would thus be an ideal bonus figure, particularly once Fisto has been released. I (personally) kind of think Prince Adam could be a bonus figure as well (just like Battle Armor He-Man).
    I completely agree with you. Like you said Adam is also another perfect example for a bonus figure.

Clamp Champ is a character from the vintage line but he is not a very popular one. He would be easy to make, not much new tooling is required.
    To me this sounds like a perfect Bonus figure.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

I think Clamp Champ's pretty cool, but don't dig the idea of him being Randor's personal body guard. Personally, I feel this guy's like the Scott Free (Mister Miracle) of MOTU. The reason why I mention him specifically is because he built the Gulag prison in "Kingdom Come." Clamp Champ's bio would be really cool if they took it from that type of angle and named him the warden of the Royal Dungeon or something of the sort. Why's he out in the field instead of within the confines of the prison? He's after the ones that have made their escape.

His weapon says it all. This guy is about subduing, not being a bodyguard. Man-At-Arms is better suited for that. Now, there's a possibility that he could be a successor to Duncan, but that's a different story. Besides, there's only two guys I could see doing that. Mekaneck's the other.

Anyway, I have a feeling we might see Clamp Champ before Fisto because there will be less work to release him than doing certain retooling for Fisto. Peace.

i am more fond of a 2002 version of the clamp than the original since that is HUGE.

he should be a VERY cheap character to make.

the body is all re-use. the armor is shared with fisto.

the only new things are his head and clamp with the clamp being the most costly part of the figure.

if we see fisto we will see clamp champ
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Clamp Champ is a cool character with awesome natural abilities. But his weapon is lame & his armor can be better. the 200x toy was cool. I think he should be a special character to seed motu along. He's not that well known or a must buy for most fans. I'm indecisive on if I should buy him. I would need another book shelf to store them all.

Heroic Warrior
    I always kinda liked Clamp Champ.

I sorta lump him in there with guys like Extendar, Rio-Blast, and Snout Spout.

I laughed about the mis-read line... "Power pincher snatches fools!" LOL! That's good stuff. What, he's related to Mr. T?

As far as another weapon, he'd probably be best suited to have a laser blaster of some sort.

In the pic of him on his original card, he really favors James Walker, the daddy from Good Times. LOL! Where's Florida? LOL!!!

Maybe in his bio, Clamp Champ could be related to Prince Dakon from the mini-comic. Since Adam and Dakon were best friends, maybe they got him a job at the palace of Eternia protecting King Randor. Just a thought. I'd like to get Prince Dakon in anyway I can.

By the way, Skeletom's avatar is a depiction of what Clamp Champ looked like as a child.

Darth Bong
    Last edited by Darth Bong; November 6, 2009 at 11:08pm.

Toyguru keeps talking about how they are looking to maximise ways the various MOTU characters can interact together, i.e. between modern era and Preternia figures.

Was looking at my vintage and 200x staction Clamp Champ figures and got to thinking how cool it would be if there was a snake catchin' 'Clamp Champ' hero back in Preternian times in addition to the modern Clamp Champ. Maybe the modern era CC could be merely the latest in a line of champions chosen by one of Eternia's tribes to bear the Pincers of Power and combat the threat posed by King Hiss and the Snake Men.

Think about it. "Clamp Champ" seems more a title bestowed upon someone than a name ... kinda like how Princess Diana won the right to be 'Wonder Woman' after winning her contest.

The vintage Clamp Champ didn't appear in Eternia until after King Hiss and the Snake Men were freed.

Clamp Champ's weapon seems specifically designed to tackle the Snake Men - like 200x Fisto's clamp weapon, Serpent Track Mekaneck's claws, Sky Strike Stratos' claw and Serpent Claw Man-At-Arms' claw weapon.

Clamp Champ is effectively an open book for a new bio. We know nothing about him other than his role as King Randor's bodyguard and his natural super senses. He could very easily be retconned in MOTUC as having a Preternian predecessor who helped King Grayskull in the war against the Snake Men and his armor and weapons handed down through the generations until today's Clamp Champ upon the return of King Hiss.

The MOTUC Clamp Champ could be packed with 2 heads, one the vintage 'fro head for the modern CC and the 200x staction head for Preternian CC. Two genuinely unique characters in one! An extension of the Trap Jaw/Kronis scenario. What do you think?

BTW, I love how the staction Clamp Champ's pincers look like they have been modelled on real world hydraulic rescue equipment with the generator pack on CC's back and hydraulic oils connected by hoses to the movable clamps/pincers. If you excuse the MOTU design flourishes, it looks very similar to the cutters and spreaders I use in my activities as a volunteer to cut people out of cars involved in auto accidents.

Maybe Clamp Champ is not only trained in capture but also rescue accredited! Anyway, I like to think the staction was a nod to real life rescue volunteers/workers.
    Last edited by Swanmarsh; April 25, 2010 at 12:21am.

Heroic Warrior
    Wow. A lot of Champ love. Nice.

I had Champ as a kid and I loved him. I can't wait for the MOTUC version. He will see a LOT of playtime. His clamp thing won't though. I'm 86'n that lame gimmick the first second it's outta the package. I wonder what his real name will be as well so I can stop calling him Champ. He should have a regular sounding name like...Chauncey.

I like where your heads at Swanmarsh, but if Champ was a preternian hero who's mantle is passed down for every generation, MOTU would be serving infinite consecutive life sentences for the overmurdering of what is already a last-legged plot cliche.

I like the thought that the "clamp" could have a duel purpose that involves rescue.

I also like the idea of the JOB Clamp Champ has (whatever the new bio would dictate) but I'm not so down with the idea of it being a hereditary thing passed down through the ages. The job maybe, not a lineage. To me, Clamp Champ is a keen warrior who is an expert at his chosen field. The same could be said for MAA.
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I've always liked the idea that nothing surprises him since he has enhanced senses.
    So Clamp Champ's super-senses warn him of any danger, right?

What Ninjor began, SnakeFace finished.
    Last edited by Sabretooth; April 25, 2010 at 09:58am.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post
    I like the thought that the "clamp" could have a duel purpose that involves rescue.

I also like the idea of the JOB Clamp Champ has (whatever the new bio would dictate) but I'm not so down with the idea of it being a hereditary thing passed down through the ages. The job maybe, not a lineage. To me, Clamp Champ is a keen warrior who is an expert at his chosen field. The same could be said for MAA.
    Cheers. Didn't mean to infer a hereditary role, merely a role bestowed on the best/chosen of the tribe/clan/village/etc. If being 'Clamp Champ' was a role tied to defeating Snake Men the modern Clamp Champ may be only the second ever to take on the task.

Anyway, it will be cool to see Clamp Champ's bio eventually.

Heroic Warrior
    Yes ! Bring on Clamp Champ !

I always thought he looked cool. Plus, he's the only black guy in the whole line.

I hope they will give Clamp Champ the same head and face he had in the 80's. His face is one of the best as far as heroic warriors are concerned.

It shoudln't be too difficult to make him. He is 90% reuseable shared tooling (just like Ninjor, by the way). Clamp Champ just needs a new head, a new armor and his weapon, of course.

About the weapon : I'd be really mad if the weapon was not spring loaded ! How difficult or costly is it to have this ? It's not even a proper action feature, but more like a simple mechanical device. Plus, if it'snot spring loaded, I'm really concerned that we might have power pincers that are very loose or unable to "grab" anything...
    Last edited by Spectror; April 25, 2010 at 06:46am.

Evil Vixen/Heroic Chef Starshine's Avatar
    Yes of course!! I dont care for that photo though...lol...that guy in the muscled suit just looks confused and embarassed to be there...

Clamp Champ could be super awesome, Mattel WILL get to him as well. For a glimpse into the future, just have a look at the work of Master English! (As with other not-yet-released characters, M.E. has been usually right on point..)

I also agree with what Kevenn had said a few pages back...whew....this thread has more latent racism than the Republican Convention!!

Seriously though, bring him on! He is EASILY the best-designed hero of those last two waves!

".....We wouldn't think of putting something on the screen - whether for theatres, television, or home video - without building in pro-social values..."

- Lou Scheimer (1984)

This is what its all about, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    Cheers. Didn't mean to infer a hereditary role, merely a role bestowed on the best/chosen of the tribe/clan/village/etc. If being 'Clamp Champ' was a role tied to defeating Snake Men the modern Clamp Champ may be only the second ever to take on the task.

Anyway, it will be cool to see Clamp Champ's bio eventually.
    Oh, no! I agree largely with your first point. My fear is that Mattel will start recycling every character from Preternia to modern and there won't be hardly anyone left that didn't live in Preternia or is a direct descendant. If you look at the character roster, there is a large number of characters that were around in Preternia that have made it into modern times.
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectror View Post
    About the weapon : I'd be really mad if the weapon was not spring loaded ! How difficult or costly is it to have this ? It's not even a proper action feature, but more like a simple mechanical device. Plus, if it'snot spring loaded, I'm really concerned that we might have power pincers that are very loose or unable to "grab" anything...
    The clamp pincers were always out in media. I'd rather have them open and shut manually than the pincers always be hidden away.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Champ Champ's release would be great either way as a monthly figure or a bonus figure. I don't mind as long as we get him soon!

Another reason why I'm anxious to get Clamp Champ is because I can get a He-Bro that way as well!

If Clamp Champ comes with the Hordak abs, I'll make a Battle Armor He-Bro instead using the Battle Armor from He-Man. That's something we couldn't do with the vintage figures!

I like the idea of Clamp Champ being the warden of the Royal Dungeon.
    He's strong enough to keep the prisoners like Kobra Khan and Rattlor in the cell, and having a power pincher to capture them if they manage to escape. It makes sense. He seems a lot more capable to me than most of the Heroic Warriors and keeping those evil prisoners at bay is certainly not an easy task at all.

Clamp Champ is also a great fighter against the Snake Men to keep those snakes from a distance and throw them back in the pit they crawled out.
    MOTU WANTS: Songster "Kevin Corrigan", Kittrina, Illumina, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Kayo, Vizar, Nocturna, Spinwit, Artilla, Drissi, Caz Spritina, Sprag, Sprocker, Hunga the Harpy, Green Reptile Mask of Power Demon, Purple Wolf Mask of Power Demon, Lizorr, Hoove, Butthead, Staghorn, Colonel Blast, Monster Riders of Morc
    FILMATION: Battle Cat, Ram Man, Stratos Whiplash
    =>MOTU-Classics-Checklist