Thread: A new wrinkle to the saga: Mattel's new online site...

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar

A new wrinkle to the saga: Mattel's new online site...

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=241&itemid=15026

Not much information yet, and, if this is old news, forgive a busy old dragon for missing it.

My take: Matty will be phased out/folded into this new site. No indication as to whether this site will be run by DR, but my bet would be against it (Mattel would have to be crazier than even I think they are to put DR in charge of a site as big as what they are apparently planning). The existing site may hold on until the contract runs out, but this would be a way to save face for the company, allowing them to close down an embarrassment without actually admitting failure (they'll call it the natural evolution of the site).

No real info past what is in the article that I've seen, but I see the handwriting. Some might question the wisdom of opening another site with the problems Matty has had, but this might actually be the solution in disguise. I see no reason to incur the costs of running two sites when the new one is already going to be partitioned into different sections. Matty can simply become one of those sections.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

I do not know what to think, but maybe this is just the solution for their retail product problems. (Weird DCUC distribution, etc.)
    Will this affect mattycollector? I have no idea... Hopefully this will help make the matty experience more pleasant in the future.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now who shall I fight for?

Evil Master of Laceration mikescab's Avatar
    Oh boy. I smell another Mattel mishap in the future. Very interesting article dragon. Thanks for posting.

I know what you're all saying, and a part of me agrees with you. However, we do not know what this site will entail, we haven't even seen it. According to the article, it sounds like it will be a more kid/parent friendly website and not a site for adult collectors (like mattycollector.com).

All this said, instead of being bitter, we should just hope that it will be a good site and a success for Mattel.
    Craig

My MOTUC most wanted: Angella, Tung Lashor, Mermista, Sssqueeze, Peekablue, Ninjor, Evilseed, and Granita

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I've been there.

So far, it looks like it just sells kiddie stuff--Brave and the Bold and Toy Story. The most adult line they sell is Avatar. I don't think they'll phase it into Mattycollector.com because of the high traffic on the 15th of every month.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

the subscription don't help to the high traffic on the 15th of every month.
    subscriptor are buying anyway more MOTUC figures in the site.

I think it might be a good idea for them having to two seperate sites. The poeple working on Matty might not even be the same people working on the regular site which might be good because they are geared very differently and while this new site might have a steady stream of customers it probably won't have the spikes in volume the matty site has and it won't need to have the same speed in shipping and contacting buyers as us collectors seem to need (or else we reach panic mode ). Mattel doesn't need non-collectors experiencing the red screen of death

i honestly think they WILL phase the 2 together.

our company JUST did that since we had 3 dif websites and you could not shop across them even though the same people shop in our dif stores.

the cost to run both doesnt make sense. i bet one they have the new site up and running awhile they will fold mattycollector.com into the mix.

heck hasbro did this EXACT same thing. they started out with a collector website(actually they had a couple) and eventually went to the one they have now
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Thats interesting, they would not have to do much to keep things going as MattyCollector.

Just dump the previous site and redirect MattyCollector.com to the new site.

I agree it seems similar to the route Hasbrotoyshop.com took when it got up and running
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Looking at the site, it's structured & laid out kinda like Hasbro ToyShop.
    Up, Up, & Away!
    The Amazing Brian-Man of SpyMonkey Creations Inc.
    President & Founder of the Plundor Appreciation League

Heroic Warrior
    I like the new site better than the old one.

I currently like anything better than the old one......they could do worse than copying Hasbro, at least their site actually tends towards working.....

Interesting stuff Scott, I too can see the embarrisment that is Matty being folded into a bigger site as simply a "collectors corner" type deal - the sooner that freaking annoying mascot gets a hole through it's neck the better!

But this is Matty were talking about so nothing will work smoothly.....

Elder Councilman
    Just one tip guys:

when Mattel inevitably raises the price on some of their online exclusive figures, please don't freak out and claim Mattel is trying to screw you, and Hasbro would never do this and that....cause they did already do that:

I didn't buy the Exclusive Marvel Legends AoA Sunfire figure yet, cause I've been short on funds, but I do want to get it eventually; Last I checked( and this was a while back, mind you) it was still available on their site...and they raised the price on it.

And worth noting, I don't recall anyone raising a stink about it. I know the price didn't go up by that much, but it still went up.

If you can accept it from Hasbro, then don't complain about it when Mattel inevitably does it.....
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

Quote Originally Posted by KingRandor82 View Post
    Just one tip guys:

when Mattel inevitably raises the price on some of their online exclusive figures, please don't freak out and claim Mattel is trying to screw you, and Hasbro would never do this and that....cause they did already do that:

I didn't buy the Exclusive Marvel Legends AoA Sunfire figure yet, cause I've been short on funds, but I do want to get it eventually; Last I checked( and this was a while back, mind you) it was still available on their site...and they raised the price on it.

And worth noting, I don't recall anyone raising a stink about it. I know the price didn't go up by that much, but it still went up.

If you can accept it from Hasbro, then don't complain about it when Mattel inevitably does it.....
    How can we as He-man fans NOT complain
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

Elder Councilman
    Quote Originally Posted by jmb410s View Post
    How can we as He-man fans NOT complain
    You have a very good point!
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KingRandor82 View Post

Likely because it's still the cheapest 6" super hero figure out there right now. We'll be paying 15 bucks for each DCUC figure starting with the next wave. on Matty, Mattel's charging 20 bucks for a Joker that is, save a couple parts, a complete repaint.

The comparison breaks down immediately and completely when you look at the actual details.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman