Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.25!

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    We have been very clear that no figures in MOTUC will have “action features.” Webstor’s pack “works like you remember” just as Mek-a-neck’s neck will work “as you remember.” When we get to Mek, we will include an alternate head with a stretched neck, but not a twist waist that raises the head. This is a good example of fans jumping to their own conclusions and being disappointed when those conclusions are not met.
    Cool, finally we’ll have a Mek-a-neck that have a stretched neck and looks straight at the same time.

Heroic Warrior

Webstor and "action features"

While I agree the phrasing of the answer about Webstor was harsh, everything I have heard and read has always stated no "working" action features will be included; in fact, I believe I read or heard specifically about the Mekaneck as a swappable head... trying to remember if that was one of the things mentioned at SDCC this year or last...

What I will say is that I am happy to have figures with or without working action features... and the fact that this line is aimed at collectors, not children, means the "requirement" for action features is somewhat diminished. I can't speak for everyone (and apparently I'm in the minority anyway) but I don't see them as necessary for my enjoyment of the line. Besides which, if we got action features, how many extra heads or accessories would we get? How long would we get the $20 price?

Just my two cents...

Honestly, I dont usually post about this kind of thing, but the Webstor response made me feel pretty insulted as well.
    None of us here were "jumping to our own conclusions" about how Webstor's backpack would work.
    Previous posters have already covered that enough, I dont need to reiterate.
    But really, the response doesn't even make sense. At all. English leaving a lot to be desired is the least of that response's worries.
    Seriously, what in God's name does "works as you remember" even mean, other than "works as we remember"?
    And by "disappointed when those conclusions are not met", did the writer (assumed to be Toyguru) mean that our expectations were not met?
    Because, and not to seem all high brow here, it's not really a conclusion that would be met, or not.
    It's more of a, you know, expectation that we'd apparently have from drawing a conclusion.
    But yeah, it's our bad, sorry Mattel.

I'm up in arms about it enough that I'd like to email or PM Toyguru about it, if I thought it'd make a difference, or that he'd respond.
    It's just kind of disappointing to me, as such a huge fan of this line, to feel that our entire fanbase was just insulted like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Depp View Post
    Honestly, I dont usually post about this kind of thing, but the Webstor response made me feel pretty insulted as well.
    None of us here were "jumping to our own conclusions" about how Webstor's backpack would work.
    Previous posters have already covered that enough, I dont need to reiterate.
    But really, the response doesn't even make sense. At all. English leaving a lot to be desired is the least of that response's worries.
    Seriously, what in God's name does "works as you remember" even mean, other than "works as we remember"?
    And by "disappointed when those conclusions are not met", did the writer (assumed to be Toyguru) mean that our expectations were not met?
    Because, and not to seem all high brow here, it's not really a conclusion that would be met, or not.
    It's more of a, you know, expectation that we'd apparently have from drawing a conclusion.
    But yeah, it's our bad, sorry Mattel.

I'm up in arms about it enough that I'd like to email or PM Toyguru about it, if I thought it'd make a difference, or that he'd respond.
    It's just kind of disappointing to me, as such a huge fan of this line, to feel that our entire fanbase was just insulted like that.
    I agree with everything said here. Very sad.
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

Heroic Warrior
    Just realized something else I don't think anyone has touched...

After getting fired up over She-Ra's sword, did it occur to anyone that "capes will be plastic" extends to She-Ra as well? This is one design decision I'm not sure I'm comfortable with... how well will the figure stand with a partial cape made of plastic? I hope it's a thinner plastic...

I was never under the impression that Webstor's backpack would work. No action features means no action features.

I can understand those who are upset about "Works just you remember". I never had Webstor but my friend who did have him had a back pack that didn't have a working climbing feature, so yes, Webstor's backpack does work as I remember

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    Obviously Toyguru somehow remembered wrong how Webstors backpack worked in the 80s when he made that previous statement. There is no possible way anyone who remembered how it worked could say that this new one worked like the old one did. A string through a hole is not how I, nor most others remember it.
    It's not just that fans are misremembering, as if it were some distant memory in the past where we could've forgotten how Webstor's backpack worked. Some fans actually HAVE the 80s Webstor figure in their possession. They don't have to REMEMBER how it works, because they can see clearly for themselves how it works with the figure right in front of them. It sure as heck doesn't work the way Toyguru is describing.

It sounds like Toyguru is trying to retcon the old Webstor or Mekaneck figures to make out they worked differently to how they actually did so that the new figures will fit in with this revisionist history, but retconning doesn't work in real life I'm sorry to say.
    Bikini Teela: Hottest version ever!!

Good to hear that the $15 price point for the figure stands are for 5 per pack!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teela-Na View Post
    It sounds like Toyguru is trying to retcon the old Webstor or Mekaneck figures to make out they worked differently to how they actually did so that the new figures will fit in with this revisionist history, but retconning doesn't work in real life I'm sorry to say.
    I think TG means to say one thing, but usually says something else. No one seems to proofread him or any of the MOTUC stuff that comes from Mattel, look at the ads and bios.

In this case, what he probably meant to say was that action features would appear to simulate the ones that we remember, although they wouldn't really work like they did in the 80's. Remember, some fans don't listen to anyone saying how much these figures AREN'T like the 80's versions.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    The tone of the Webstor response is entirely unprofessional, and a not a very wise way to talk to loyal customers.

Heroic MOTU Collector! Grayskull_Power's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    I love MOTUC. Love them. Love them. But this is becoming like a wife who won't give you any loving: you love her and stay with her even though she's making the relationship more difficult. We "jumped to conclusions" based on what he said? Just like we did over the Panthor flocking issue when almost everyone who was there and saw the videos know what the outcome was?
    Thank you for mentioning the Panthor flocking issue. This has been bothering me ever since I read that they weren't going to flock Panthor. They blamed the panel for voting unflocked at SDCC but I was there in that room and I clearly remember most people (myself included) raising their hand and screaming "flocked" when the question was asked. Another thing, the question was just asked randomly out of the blue and was never preceded with any statement that this was going to be an official vote for Panthor's flocked future. It would be nice if TG had said, "ok, let's make this an official vote. You guys are deciding the future here." Nothing like that happened. The question was just asked randomly and if more people knew it was going to decide Panthor's future, they may have spoke up.

Quote Originally Posted by mjharwood View Post
    Just realized something else I don't think anyone has touched...

After getting fired up over She-Ra's sword, did it occur to anyone that "capes will be plastic" extends to She-Ra as well? This is one design decision I'm not sure I'm comfortable with... how well will the figure stand with a partial cape made of plastic? I hope it's a thinner plastic...
    My main concern is if she'll be able to ride Swift Wind with a hard plastic cape. I wish they'd use a softer plastic for the capes, like they did on the recent DC Universe Mantis figure.

I asked if mattel uses recycled plastic for the action figures and recycled paper for the box,
    they decided to give me no answer,
    thank you Mattel,
    you are really up to date

Quote Originally Posted by guanaco View Post
    I asked if mattel uses recycled plastic for the action figures and recycled paper for the box,
    they decided to give me no answer,
    thank you Mattel,
    you are really up to date
    Not accurate.
    Questions were selected in the number of ten in total (now five for future Q&As) before being sent to Mattel.
    Apparently your question didn't make into the chosen ten this time round.
    So Mattel couldn't reply to a question they never received.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I think TG means to say one thing, but usually says something else. No one seems to proofread him or any of the MOTUC stuff that comes from Mattel, look at the ads and bios.

In this case, what he probably meant to say was that action features would appear to simulate the ones that we remember, although they wouldn't really work like they did in the 80's. Remember, some fans don't listen to anyone saying how much these figures AREN'T like the 80's versions.
    Is English not TG's first language? Why is he the public spokesman?
    Bikini Teela: Hottest version ever!!

While I'm happy to be getting these Q & A every month, I think some of the responses could be stated in a better way and, in many cases, there's NO need to be secretive about certain future plans for the line...

Like by now, none of us should be feeling confused about what the POP designs are going to be based on. I am very confused. -- Yeah, at one point they said they were gonna be based on the original toy line, but then more recently they said POP characters will be handled on a case by case basis when asked about the style guide vs toy line designs.

Once and for all, WHAT does case by case basis mean? Does it mean they'll buy the rights to Filmation 'looks' for certain characters? Will the 4H design completely new things for them? What? ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Also, yes I know POP wasn't as successful as MOTU. HOWEVER, we have a subscription now and there's no reason to omit original toy line accessories (except the combs for obvious reasons), when they're already doing FAAAARRRRR fewer POP characters. Doing 2-3 POP characters per year IS scaling back. Don't do it on the accessories too.

Basically don't insult this POP fan by bringing out or announcing all these obscure mini-comic characters (The Goddess, Barbarian He-Man), potential bootlegs (Wonder Bread He-Man), and pre-toyline ideas, only to turn around and make it seem like She-Ra's gold sword is unwanted or too obscure to include in MOTUC. I'm not saying Mattel has stated this, but based on certain comments, many times it very much seems like that's where it's leading.
    Last edited by Tallstar; October 19, 2009 at 09:29am.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    While I'm happy to be getting these Q & A every month, I think some of the responses could be stated in a better way and, in many cases, there's NO need to be secretive about certain future plans for the line...

Like by now, none of us should be feeling confused about what the POP designs are going to be based on. I am very confused. -- Yeah, at one point they said they were gonna be based on the original toy line, but then more recently they said POP characters will be handled on a case by case basis when asked about the style guide vs toy line designs.

Once and for all, WHAT does case by case basis mean? Does it mean they'll buy the rights to Filmation 'looks' for certain characters? Will the 4H design completely new things for them? What? ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Also, yes I know POP wasn't as successful as MOTU. HOWEVER, we have a subscription now and there's no reason to omit original toy line accessories (except the combs for obvious reasons), when they're already doing FAAAARRRRR fewer POP characters. Doing 2-3 POP characters per year IS scaling back. Don't do it on the accessories too.

Basically don't insult this POP fan by bringing out or announcing all these obscure mini-comic characters (The Goddess, Barbarian He-Man), potential bootlegs (Wonder Bread He-Man), and pre-toyline ideas, only to turn around and make it seem like She-Ra's gold sword is unwanted or too obscure to include in MOTUC. I'm not saying Mattel has stated this, but based on certain comments, many times it very much seems like that's where it's leading.
    Remember way back when I said that POP, NA and 200X were in the same boat--they aren't vintage MOTU. Zodak needed an unmasked head, an element that his original figure had and is perfectly do-able in MOTUC.

It seems like POP and 200X both have to make sacrifices for the greater good. Imagine how badly NA will get scaled back.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; October 19, 2009 at 09:42am.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Frustrating.

If anything is going to be cut out of the line, it should be something like Wun-Dar's loaf of bread. She-Ra's gold sword is way more relevant than the bread. And it was actually an accessory that was mass produced in the 80s!

I think that Toyguru´s answer to the Webstor question was very disrespectfull towards the fan base, we "jumped to our own conclusions" ?

The ad on Toyfare about Webstor said, i´ll transcript it exactly how it was written:

"Awoken from hibernation and ready to battle the heroic warriors comes Webstor - the evil master of escape!
    Now available as a higly detailed, fully articulated action figure in the new Masters of the Universe Classics line, Webstor comes complete with Eternian power riffle, removable backpack and real working grapple hook just like you remember!...."

Real working grapple hook just like I remember?? How can we (the fans) go wrong with this phrase? "Real working grapple hook just like you remember!" If it is like what I rember it will be a grappling hook with an action feature which will make it function like the vintage one (just like I remember)!
    I don´t see your point on adressing fans that way, we pay you don´t forget it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Basically don't insult this POP fan by bringing out or announcing all these obscure mini-comic characters (The Goddess, Barbarian He-Man), potential bootlegs (Wonder Bread He-Man)
    I agree with you 100% that other things should take precidence over these characters... But remember that The Goddess, Wun-Dar & Zodak are just bonus figure repaints that are making them extra profit so they CAN do the things we want to see down the line.

I believe the Bonus figures are going to be what keeps this line going. If we stop buying them we will get less in terms of 'new stuff'. That's why they are hesitant to confirm certain things often stating; "We have to wait and see how the Bonus Figures do."

For all we know they could release a Bonus figure She-Ra with a more classic POP color scheme that would come with the original toy sword.

Quote Originally Posted by AuraBoyX View Post
    I agree with you 100% that other things should take precidence over these characters... But remember that The Goddess, Wun-Dar & Zodak are just bonus figure repaints that are making them extra profit so they CAN do the things we want to see down the line.

I believe the Bonus figures are going to be what keeps this line going. If we stop buying them we will get less in terms of 'new stuff'. That's why they are hesitant to confirm certain things often stating; "We have to wait and see how the Bonus Figures do."

For all we know they could release a Bonus figure She-Ra with a more classic POP color scheme that would come with the original toy sword.
    My feeling is that original toy line accessories should be standard on all the non-bonus figures. That's how it's worked thus far. Before even thinking about giving a character like Scareglow an extra new accessory (the reliquary), they should first make sure that basic standard is met on ALL monthly figures.

I honestly don't know who I should be voicing these thoughts to. Mattel or The Four Horsemen.

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    Not accurate.

Apparently your question didn't make into the chosen ten this time round.
    Which is the choosing method? the first ten questions will be answered and the others will pass to the next round?

thank you guys,

Sorry Mattel

Yeah, the Webstor question was kinda rude honestly, it surprised me coming from a company spokesman. With this and all the other things that they mishandle, it make me wonder how much they care about their own brand.
    Wanted: Episode 40 Comic.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    Yeah, the Webstor question was kinda rude honestly, it surprised me coming from a company spokesman. With this and all the other things that they mishandle, it make me wonder how much they care about their own brand.
    IMO, they don't care about their brand, that's been demostrated over and over again, they just care about fast profit, but its all our fault! Mattel takes us for granted! No matter how much the figures costs, no matter how bad they treat us, no matter what, we will be buying the figures anyway!!!!! They treat us like children and we prove them right by buying their stuff anyway!

I see what you are saying Lantern Ro and I think you are right, in a way. Now, I know that I am going to upset a lot of people, but, as things tand out at this time, I think that the line will fail very shortly.

Webstor, BA He-Man and Mekaneck are a good example as to how Mattel intends to handle the latter figures. Most of these figures were defined by their action features and while it's understandable that they want not to include any mechanical features to favour articulation it's definitely inexcusable that they don't want to give Mekaneck an extendible neck and BA He-Man a hollow chest with rotating cylinder so they can re use existing parts.

Sure, die hard core fans will say that we are whining and crying if we point this out, but the truth is that die hard core fans are just a tiny fraction of the amount of people who buy these figures and the line is getting repetitive and the casual fans will stop buying these. If a figure like Teela lasted over three days that's a good indication that sales are dropping. The prices and demand on eBay also seem to go in that direction.

The original line was successful precisely because the figures were all different from each other and each had something unique. Over and above this we are getting things like rubber bent weapons and female waist articulation that is a real pain even to look at.

People are upset with this as well as Mattel's attitude towards the fans which is clearly summarized in the response to the Webstor question. Customer service is practically non existent. Pulling all of this under the carpet is useless and will not help anyone.

We, as fans want this line to be successful. Mattel wants this line to be successful as well and I am sure that people like TG and the others over there are smart enough to realize that its in their interests as well to have this line last for many years than many...months.

I think we should all try to be more understanding with each other. On the one hand the fans need to calm down when there are problems like the EU tax, a delay in shipping or a late response (I don’t mean that we should give up our consumer rights, but just be patient to allow them to make their own homework). On the other hand Mattel needs to be more honest and straightforward with its customers, provide better customer support and work towards increasing the quality of its products by making more appealing and worth the $20 price tag. This is something that is absolutely needed if they want the casual fans to stay loyal to the line.

If we, fans and Mattel, work together, and are realistic about our mutual expectations and fair with each other I am sure this line will be able to last for long and we as consumers and they as suppliers can continue enjoying it for many years to come.
    JOIN THE GREAT REBELLION - COLLECTOR'S CLUB TODAY!
    http://www.facebook.com/TGRClub