Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nickelodeon buys rights to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    If they brought back the original voice actors... that would be fantastic!

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I hope this doesn't mean the end of the Neca line.

hope not BCI guy

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    Yeah, like we need yet another new continuity. I miss the 2003 TMNT already and would honestly LOVE to see more stories.
    yah, this show is/was awesome and still had so many possibilities. I wish we got more seasons like season 4. I hope however that this means tmnt comics will get released in trade paperback.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    I'm not sure what to make of this news yet....
    me neither, i liked mirage,in the begining but towards the end i loved them,especially merging fastforward with early turtle stories.i hope they go totally nastalgic with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    NEwest Rumors from Mirage is that they want to focus the new series on the 80's turtles.

IF that means a return of classic voice actors and an updated feel (doubt it's a continuation of the series ) I'm all for giving it a chance
    Hope they wont turn them into happy laughin' retard obsessed insanely with pizza like they did in the crossover special.

And no Mutagen turning non living stuff into mutants.

Seasons 1 and 2 (and parts of season 3). THAT's 80's TMNT. Rest's a mess.
    Коможедапрочитанекапрочита:овимсајтомуправљајулуда циопседнутиконтролом.Јебаоихмателијебаоихскот .

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    Yeah, like we need yet another new continuity. I miss the 2003 TMNT already and would honestly LOVE to see more stories.
    Eh, 2K3 TMNT had is positive aspects, but I'm really not a fan of the many variations of Shredder. I like the idea of Shredder just being a human (of normal human age) who is just really good at marshall arts. None of this utrom, robot, ancient demon, cyber variation nonsense.

If they could go back and essentially revist the 80s series but with a more serious tone, I could be down with that.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    This seams so strange to me, especially after Peter laird was so focused and maintained such tight creative control in recent years. 60 Million seams like chump change compared to the billions It must have made since 1987. Even with the collapse of the franchise this last couple year, I find it odd to sell. Laird owns it, it isn't like he is loosing money from licensing the TMNT to others...I guess everybody has a price, Kevin Eastman sold his rights to Laird...I just never expected Peter to sell it all. I'd like to think If I was as successful I wouldn't sell my creation but everyone has a price I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    I guess this means that Mirage wont do their comics anymore, I'm wondering who they'll go through now.

Good to hear that there sticking with Playmates Toys though.
    I read that Mirage can still make up to 18 issues a year. It was at Gogreenmachine.org or Thetechnodrome.com I think.

The best thing for Nick to do would be to sign a toy deal with Hasbro. Playmates has lost touch with how to make toys.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I hope this doesn't mean the end of the Neca line.
    Mirage cared to much about stepping on Playmates toes with the NECA deal. Playmates blocked certain retail options from NECA, that is why NECA's TMNT are not at Toy's R Us. NECA has to rely upon international sales to make up for that. Rumor has it is not looking good...The only reason we got April is because she was further along production then the Foot and Shedder that NECA would loose money if they didn't follow through with her. That's also why they made a total of four variants. If they don't make enough on April, they said they can't make Shredder or the two foot. NECA is dead in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    If they brought back the original voice actors... that would be fantastic!
    I liked the voices from the last TMNT toon and all the movies a lot more then the original cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    I was hoping Playmates would do updated versions of the original toys for the 25th anniversary instead of the original toys being re-released exactly the same
    Playmates showed some new comic inspired TMNT at Toyfare. It included a horrible looking shredder, foot and an ok looking splinter. All had poor articulation and even worse looking paint. This was done as a direct response to the successful sales of NECA's collector driven TMNT. I agree with you, I would love to see 4HM looking Bebop, Rocksteady, Krang Slash, Baxter stockman, Casey Jones and Usagi Yojimbo...With this deal I doubt we will ever see Usagi as a part of the TMNT universe ever again

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    I think this is interesting news!

Now if someone bought MOTU (and aquired all the rights to the property), everything would be peachy.
    Agreed. Mattel lost so much with NA and 200x, that I'm surprised they even tried with MOTUC. I does prove that a market exists and Mattel just doesn't know how to tap into and exploit it successfully. Hasbro does so well with G.I Joe and transformers that I wish they owned Mattel!
    Last edited by LORD FALLEN ELDOR; October 25, 2009 at 12:34am.
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD FALLEN ELDOR View Post
    This seams so strange to me, especially after Peter laird was so focused and maintained such tight creative control in recent years. 60 Million seams like chump change compared to the billions It must have made since 1987. Even with the collapse of the franchise this last couple year, I find it odd to sell. Laird owns it, it isn't like he is loosing money from licensing the TMNT to others...I guess everybody has a price, Kevin Eastman sold his rights to Laird...I just never expected Peter to sell it all. I'd like to think If I was as successful I wouldn't sell my creation but everyone has a price I guess.
    I'm not sure if it made billions... and even if it did, most of that would have been during the TMNT heyday or the original cartoon series back in the late 80s and early 90s. Even though the cartoon lasted until 1996, it was definitely on the decline for a few years before that. And the current incarnation has been unraveling the past couple years or so (Fast Forward was pretty bad, and what I saw of Back to the Sewer wasn't a ton better). So, the value on the overall property probably isn't where it was once at.

As for Laird, on the one hand it seems odd, but on the other hand, maybe he's just ready to move on. He didn't care much for the original cartoon series, so he got to make a version more to his liking with the 2K3-current series, which is now ending. Maybe he's just gotten to a point where, since he was in more control over that recent series, he doesn't feel the need to hold onto so tightly anymore.

I can't see him having a bunch of desire to be super-involved with another complete reboot of the franchise (though I could be wrong). There's only so many ways to retell the same basic story. He's also no spring chicken. He's not super-old, but he is in his 50s. And he's got more than enough money to retire (or at least semi-retire, if he's just not mentally ready to stop working) comfortably.

And Nickelodeon owning it doesn't mean he won't still be involved to some extent with future projects.

Of course, there's probably a certain amount of confliction for Laird, as well, if there is any truth to this:

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    NEwest Rumors from Mirage is that they want to focus the new series on the 80's turtles.

IF that means a return of classic voice actors and an updated feel (doubt it's a continuation of the series ) I'm all for giving it a chance
    It's known that he is not exactly a big fan of the original animated series. Him and Eastman basically more or less sold out for it (not that that's automatically a bad thing, but it comes with a trade off), with the logic back then being that they would still be in control over the comic for it to be what they wanted.

And that's great, but the comic wasn't the version being directly broadcast into people's homes 5 to 6 days a week. The 80s/90s cartoon incarnation is the single most well known version of the Turtles.

And now with the modern series having come and gone, their best bet is likely to do some kind of updated version of that, including the characters in it (like Rocksteady, Bebop, Krang, etc).

Laird probably realizes this. And if that's the case, then the next incarnation of TMNT would likely end up being something not to his liking anyway. But it's probably necessary for the property to stay in the public eye and continue to be profitable. By the time any newer incarnations start up in 2011/2012 and then run their eventual course to their endings, he'll be a good bit older than he is now, and may not want to then start up ANOTHER reboot of the TMNT, even if it were to be closer to the comic roots.

Maybe this is just the right time for him to sell. At some point the property will have to end up in somebody else's hands.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    And the current incarnation has been unraveling the past couple years or so (Fast Forward was pretty bad, and what I saw of Back to the Sewer wasn't a ton better).

I actually abandoned the series when it switched to the OVERUSED and TIRED gimmick of sending the characters to the future. I only returned when I heard about Back to the Sewer. That final incarnation of the series was good, but I did miss the previous character designs. And, sometimes, the final season did do a little too much Tron stuff.

Only thing about the final season was that the "Shredder War" hinted at in the first episode of that season where the TMNT before returning exactly to the present, they leapt ahead a few months into the future where the Utrom, Demon and Cyber Shredders were battling it out with their incarnations of the Foot will NEVER happen on screen now. *sigh* If the creators KNEW they were ending the series that season why in the name of pizza did they tease us with that plot?? Guess we'll never know.

So, I suppose yet another reboot can be tolerated by me. They are going to do it anyway, I just hope it isn't super duper dumbed down for the kid audience.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

From Peter Laird's blog:
    One thing that is becoming clear to me is that, right now, I need to really step back from Turtle stuff. I am feeling strongly that I need to distance myself from the TMNT to truly grasp what has happened, and become accustomed to it.

With that in mind, I have to say that it is likely that any new TMNT comics coming from me/Mirage (under the "reserved rights" clause negotiated in the sale) are probably not going to be seen anytime soon. Although I do have the right to publish up to eighteen issues of TMNT comics per year, it is highly unlikely that I will do that right away. In all honesty, the idea of doing ANY new Turtle stuff right now leaves me cold.

I need to get away from it.

During the negotiation, I asked for those "reserved rights" because, on some very basic, gut level, after putting so much of my life into the TMNT property over twenty-five years, I wanted to walk away from it with roughly the same deal with which I walked into it -- the freedom to do some TMNT comics. But I also have the freedom to NOT do them.

I can't guarantee when -- or even if -- Mirage will produce new TMNT comics again. It is most likely that the next TMNT comic thing I work on will be the conclusion of TMNT Volume 4, but at this moment I can't even guarantee when -- or if -- I will do that. It's too soon to make those plans.

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    I read that too. I suppose I can understand him getting tired of running the TMNT franchise since he has been doing it since the 80's. But, with Nickelodeon owning it now, I can only expect the TMNT to de-volve back into overly friendly kiddy fare where the TMNT carry brutal weapons that are designed to maim opponents yet they are used only as tools to cut pizza.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

I'm happy to hear this news.

Anything that might bring us one step closer to seeing characters like Rocksteady, Bebop and Krang back on the small screen on a regular basis is A-OK in my book. And if they can have Slash return in animated form, I'll be super happy!
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Eldor, Spinnerella, Mermista, Peekablue, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Battle Ram, Great Black Wizard.
    Most Wanted for Filmation Sub: Madame Razz with Broom, Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

Does playmates own the rights to all the figures/characters like Panda Kahn ,Krangs Android body,storage shell turtles etc?I know some like Usagi are owned by someone else.I hope that we see alot more mutants this time,I got tired of the monster/alien characters.

I think nick will do great things with them.I loved Avatar and it still had somewhat of a grown up feel with plenty of action.The blood bending episode was great!!

I wonder who will get the new toy lincense,I can only imagine a newly sculpted Krang and his Andriod body!!

Here's a trailer for the Nickelodeon show (I hope I posted this in the right thread, since the oldest post was in 2009, not sure if the cartoon has been discussed in another thread I missed):

Last edited by krugos; June 21, 2012 at 08:48pm.
    "With the silent leap of a sullen beast, I have downed and strangled every joy."
    Rimbaud

Looks alright. I will give it a chance

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    Looks alright. I will give it a chance
    Funny I think it looks really really bad. It reminds me of when video games first started going 3D back in the early days of the PS1. If you want a poster child for bad cgi cartoons then I would say this is strong contender for that role because it looks freaking horrendous
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    Funny I think it looks really really bad. It reminds me of when video games first started going 3D back in the early days of the PS1. If you want a poster child for bad cgi cartoons then I would say this is strong contender for that role because it looks freaking horrendous
    The model proportions are so overly exaggerated it goes beyond being "creative", all the way to being ridiculous. The plus to this situation will be if it brings back mainstream popularity we have a chance to get more of the classic Turtles.