Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: original art from unpublished he-man origin comic!

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar
    Am I the only on who prefers this origin?

I really enjoyed it, well so far, just got to Battlecat
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

Quote Originally Posted by super-munkyboy View Post
    Am I the only on who prefers this origin?

I really enjoyed it, well so far, just got to Battlecat

You ain't the only one! REALLY liked it...especially the insanely evil Skeletor!

Sallah

I really enjoyed it myself (Moon Spinner is cool), except did anyone LOL at the part where Man-At-Arms is Captain of The Masters of the Universe?
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I really enjoyed it myself (Moon Spinner is cool), except did anyone LOL at the part where Man-At-Arms is Captain of The Masters of the Universe?
    Yeah, that was pretty funny...but would that be considered the first time the good guys are identified as "The Masters"?

Sallah

Brilliant find LFE!
    Thanks so much for posting this.

I couldn't get pages 1,2, or 5 to work on the website... Maybe they don't exist?

I just downloaded the art, and am looking forward to reading it as soon as I can.

Love obscure stuff like this.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    Brilliant find LFE!

I couldn't get pages 1,2, or 5 to work on the website... Maybe they don't exist?

I just downloaded the art, and am looking forward to reading it as soon as I can.

Love obscure stuff like this.
    1 and 2 weren't found... It seems the story really starts at page 3 anyway though. Page 5 is part of the splash with page 4.

Sallah

Holy smokes.

That IS INDEED a rare and fantastic discovery!! Thank you for all the images!! I love reading these sorts of stories, and since MOTUC has flexed our imaginations with new origins being made from multiple sources, reading this seems cool, even if it is pretty much off any of the usual origin-charts.

I've actually known about these for quite a while now and actually have one of the pages, lack of money has actually kept me from buying anymore. The page I really want I can't get right now and if I find out one of you buys it I'm going to be PMing you with offers to wash your car for a year in order to try and get it from you.

The pages are quite a bit larger than standard comic pages and seemed to be inked with a marker. I really like Tez and his girl, they're my favorite characters in this. I agree with you guys, this origin is awesome and it NEEDS to be posted on the .org. Good job getting them all together. I'm left wondering if Mattel can access these characters for inclusion into the Classics line since they were never published.

I'll admit to being a bit envious of you guys because you discovered my secret stash but at least fans are getting in on the deal. Anyway,watch out, I may be PMing one of you.
    Wanted: Episode 40 Comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Sallah View Post
    Yeah, I'm very curious what those missing first 2 pages were...since page 3 begins "prologue"...
    Actually that page "3" say two on right corner, so..
    MOTUC needs:Tung Lashor, Rio-Blast and rest of the Hordes!

WANTED: Minicomics !!! Swords NEEDED !!! MY FEEDBACK

Thanks for sharing this one man its awesome.

I never saw it before.
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Heroic Warrior Mystical Musician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    I've actually known about these for quite a while now and actually have one of the pages, lack of money has actually kept me from buying anymore. The page I really want I can't get right now and if I find out one of you buys it I'm going to be PMing you with offers to wash your car for a year in order to try and get it from you.

The pages are quite a bit larger than standard comic pages and seemed to be inked with a marker. I really like Tez and his girl, they're my favorite characters in this. I agree with you guys, this origin is awesome and it NEEDS to be posted on the .org. Good job getting them all together. I'm left wondering if Mattel can access these characters for inclusion into the Classics line since they were never published.

I'll admit to being a bit envious of you guys because you discovered my secret stash but at least fans are getting in on the deal. Anyway,watch out, I may be PMing one of you.
    Which page do you have out of curiosity?

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Musician View Post
    And which page are trying to get?

Sallah

Great find!
    I really like it, an origin story for He-Man of any kind is always exciting.
    Also, the old man looks like Master Sebrian!

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Musician View Post
    Page 9
    And which page are trying to get?

Sallah
    I think it's page 3 ( I haven't checked.) The one where Tez and his girl are walking together before anything happens. I'm not sure weather it's sold yet or not.

EDIT: Yeah, it looks like someone bought it.
    Last edited by Darkness; October 27, 2009 at 07:34pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    Page 9

I think it's page 3 ( I haven't checked.) The one where Tez and his girl are walking together before anything happens. I'm not sure weather it's sold yet or not.
    It is the one listed as page 3...and it has sold. Not to me...I got pages 8, 17, and 19.

Sallah

OK.....which one of you monsters got page 3?

I saw these a couple months ago, but questioned the validity of them because I have never seen or heard anything about them before. Nice to hear some theories on them and learn that they are actually authentic and not some fan fic. Interesting to see how many pages have sold in this one day alone since this thread started as well. These had been sitting untouched on ebay for some time. Good buys to all that are snagging pages. At slightly more than a classics figure these things are a steal!

It is the one listed as page 3...and it has sold. Not to me...I got pages 8, 17, and 19.

Sallah
    8 and 17 are amazing. Good buys!
    Last edited by xBBestx; October 27, 2009 at 08:03pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by xBBestx View Post

8 and 17 are amazing. Good buys!
    Yeah, I was pretty amazed that 17 was so cheap...and 8 features some insane Skeletor moments!

Sallah
    Last edited by Sallah; October 27, 2009 at 08:38pm.

i couldnt find these auctions. how much were they going for if people dont mind me asking. PM if you dont want to post. i am just curious.

Yeah, that was pretty funny...but would that be considered the first time the good guys are identified as "The Masters"?

Sallah

ha yeah i noticed that. it just jumped out at me. This DEF has to be one of the first mentions that the good guys are name "the Masters of the Universe"
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

I'm not sure if it's a no-no to post ebay auctions so I'll pm it to you...

And they range from as crazy low as $30 up to $70-$80 (and $300 for the 2 page splash).

Sallah

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    Brilliant find LFE!

I couldn't get pages 1,2, or 5 to work on the website... Maybe they don't exist.
    1 and 2 would be the cover and inside cover (which you're right - may not exist.) 5 is the second half of the two-page spread.

Some beautiful pages there - I bought 11 and 22.

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    What a wonderful find, these are awesome! I'm only at page 16 but whoever was responsible for creating this really infused a sense of history and even the potential for epic scale storytelling. I imagine that if this had actually made it to print it would've been a fan favorite depiction of He-Man.

Moonspinner reminds me of Cogline from Terry Brooks' Shannara series. Moonspinner seems like he would have been a really interesting character if this comic had been a series.

EDIT:

- Pg. 24 Just a thought, the character called Anom might later have become Beastman. Notice he uses what looks to be an energized whip on the [Battle] cat upon failing to ride it, and while clearly human his garb his highly suggestive of Beastman's.

- I like how the demons [pages 8 and 30] are seen to sometimes express a single thought/sentence through different individuals. It helps them stand apart from run of the mill demon/gargoyle henchman.
    Last edited by Captain Marvel; October 27, 2009 at 10:40pm.

A big fan of Slush Head
    What a discovery! This is something very cool.
    I love reading stuff like this. With MOTU there is always something that pops up. Even after all these years.
    I am telling you I am lovin' those Demons.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

Got a reply:

"These pages came from the Random House archives and were rendered on paper used by Whitman comics. Whitman had the production rights to the characters in 1984 and probably 1985 (DC had them in 1982 and 1983, and Marvel had them from 1986 to 1988). "

Something tells me this predates the DC run though...the lack of armor on Battle Cat, and the small selection of characters makes this feel REALLY early...

Edit: I just remembered...wasn't Whitman the company that handled the mini-comics? Donald Glut interview segment:

"I'd been writing comic-book and filler text stories for Western Publishing Company (a.k.a. Whitman, Gold Key Comics and Golden Press). Western then had an account with the Mattel toy company. One day my editor at Western, Del Connell, told me that Mattel was coming out with a new line of toys called Masters of the Universe and needed someone to write four booklets that would be included with the toys. "

I am thinking that this was Whitman's attempt a doing a comic tie-in for the original line before the DC series...

Sallah
    Would also explain why it's diffeent than both DC and Filmation.
    Коможедапрочитанекапрочита:овимсајтомуправљајулуда циопседнутиконтролом.Јебаоихмателијебаоихскот .

This was awesome!! I loved the story, the origin, the artwork!! Would love a MOTUClassics Moonspinner figure too!! I'm all for the pre-filmation stuff!! Great find and thanks for sharing!
    Mattel... Please bring back 200x styled stactions!!