Thread: Club NA 05 "The Ultimate Challenge"

Club NA 05 "The Ultimate Challenge"

Wiiiiiiiiiiiii time for another episode!!!
    Creator of the New Adventures Watching Club, come join us! Click here!

"The meat was gamey, the potatoes were lumpy, and this coffee tastes like it was strained through someones urethra." - Dean Stephan

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Plan to watch the episode within the next week!

By the way, super bummer now that we hit episode 5 without Jack to give his explanation on this....

But I'll warn there's a terrible plot hole in the fifth episode of the mini-series -- which is what the first five episodes originally were, but that's a different story. I always take responsibility for my mess-ups, but in this case the plot hole, which bugs me to this day, was entirely KKC&D Studios' fault. In their defense it was one of the few mistakes they made in the series. But we'll get to that in time.
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...Beginning-quot

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    Plan to watch the episode within the next week!

By the way, super bummer now that we hit episode 5 without Jack to give his explanation on this....

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...Beginning-quot
    Where's Jack? I've been terribly distracted lately, and haven't had a chance to keep up with this great club, which I regret immensely. This is one of my favorite episodes btw. This is the one where I feel the animation and art style hit it's stride. It still fluctuates between good bad and ugly, but this one was really great imo.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholighkun View Post
    Where's Jack? I've been terribly distracted lately, and haven't had a chance to keep up with this great club, which I regret immensely. This is one of my favorite episodes btw. This is the one where I feel the animation and art style hit it's stride. It still fluctuates between good bad and ugly, but this one was really great imo.
    Here's Jack's message: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...teful-farewell

This episode is on my hit list. Postseason baseball watching has sucked up my time lately.

Agreed, I need to get my butt in gear! Let's do this!!!

"The meat was gamey, the potatoes were lumpy, and this coffee tastes like it was strained through someones urethra." - Dean Stephan

Here's Jack's message: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...teful-farewell

This episode is on my hit list. Postseason baseball watching has sucked up my time lately.
    Thanks for letting me know. I probably would never have known other wise! I hate it, but I understand at the same time. This might be a good motivation to keep the flame alive on this underdog of a property via this group watching fan club. I really do love this series of threads, and I can't quite put it into words how much will feel to be missing with Jack gone from the discussion.

Finally watched this!

It was a rushed episode. This story could have easily been stretched over a few episodes, the Mutants conquering Primus utilizing the openings, He-Man facing Skeletor off-planet, and the "all hope is lost" thing. I think the story would have been great if teased out. I have to say, I see lots of potential in these NA episodes, but they're not allocated enough time to develop.

Points of interest from this episode....

Adam was leaning in towards Drissi (for a kiss?) before Skeletor's sky hologram interrupts. How old is Drissi supposed to be, because she seems pretty mature?

Who are the identical purple warriors for the Mutant invasion force? Do these guys have names?

Love seeing Lizorr in this episode (albeit brief) when he along with Crita and Karatti capture Sebrian and Drissi.

I think the phrase "the power of the good and the way of the magic" was used 50 times here, lol.

How did He-Man pop out of the Fountain of Freedom statue at the end? I don't get how trusting your heart transports you back to the planet and in a statue. Plus, Flipshot, Hydron, and company were sure late to the party. How did they not know the main city got captured earlier? Master Sebrian and Mara couldn't have contacted them before getting captured?

Lastly, don't forget to learn CPR!

Master of New Adventures!
    You're right about it feeling "rushed". In early episodes I tended toward trying to fit in too much information and have too many plates spinning at once. I made an adjustment from episode five on.

Drissi's age is never addressed. Let's just say she's an adult, of legal age.

Good catch on He-man's appearing in the Fountain of Freedom as if from out of nowhere. This was the "major problem" I referred to previously in the first five episodes. Here's how it happened:

As you observed, I tried to cram too much action into the episode and, as a result, my script was long. This resulted in scenes having to be cut. Regrettably, the animators at KKC&D elected to make scene-cuts themselves rather than more properly telling me, the writer, to make the cuts. They cut three critical scenes that showed how He-man got into the Fountain of Freedom. When I saw what they'd done when the episode aired I was aghast. I hate plot holes, most of all in my own scripts. Fortunately, from Episode Five on I began reviewing all storyboards for the episodes so that kind of mistake -- and it was a mistake -- did not repeat itself.

Finally watched this!

It was a rushed episode. This story could have easily been stretched over a few episodes, the Mutants conquering Primus utilizing the openings, He-Man facing Skeletor off-planet, and the "all hope is lost" thing. I think the story would have been great if teased out. I have to say, I see lots of potential in these NA episodes, but they're not allocated enough time to develop.

Points of interest from this episode....

Adam was leaning in towards Drissi (for a kiss?) before Skeletor's sky hologram interrupts. How old is Drissi supposed to be, because she seems pretty mature?

Who are the identical purple warriors for the Mutant invasion force? Do these guys have names?

Love seeing Lizorr in this episode (albeit brief) when he along with Crita and Karatti capture Sebrian and Drissi.

I think the phrase "the power of the good and the way of the magic" was used 50 times here, lol.

How did He-Man pop out of the Fountain of Freedom statue at the end? I don't get how trusting your heart transports you back to the planet and in a statue. Plus, Flipshot, Hydron, and company were sure late to the party. How did they not know the main city got captured earlier? Master Sebrian and Mara couldn't have contacted them before getting captured?

Lastly, don't forget to learn CPR!
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; November 26, 2014 at 01:20pm.

So, Mr. Olesker, if I may and if you are able to divulge such information, what were those three critical scenes ?

I would love to give you the answer, Shecky, but the truth is that over the span of decades and having written six or seven hundred episodes of television in between then and now, my recollection has dimmed.

That said, whatever the missing scenes were, I can assure you that they made perfect sense and maintained the dramatic thrust of the episode. As I said, I hate plot holes and I never allow them in my work. That this one came about because of someone else is not the point. It's my work and I'm responsible for it. It showed me that I need to be involved in as many elements of a series as possible,

Quote Originally Posted by Shecky View Post
    So, Mr. Olesker, if I may and if you are able to divulge such information, what were those three critical scenes ?

No problem, thank you for the reply !

You're welcome.

Hopefully the review of Episode Six will begin before I end my brief holiday visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Shecky View Post
    No problem, thank you for the reply !

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    You're right about it feeling "rushed". In early episodes I tended toward trying to fit in too much information and have too many plates spinning at once. I made an adjustment from episode five on.

Drissi's age is never addressed. Let's just say she's an adult, of legal age.

Good catch on He-man's appearing in the Fountain of Freedom as if from out of nowhere. This was the "major problem" I referred to previously in the first five episodes. Here's how it happened:

As you observed, I tried to cram too much action into the episode and, as a result, my script was long. This resulted in scenes having to be cut. Regrettably, the animators at KKC&D elected to make scene-cuts themselves rather than more properly telling me, the writer, to make the cuts. They cut three critical scenes that showed how He-man got into the Fountain of Freedom. When I saw what they'd done when the episode aired I was aghast. I hate plot holes, most of all in my own scripts. Fortunately, from Episode Five on I began reviewing all storyboards for the episodes so that kind of mistake -- and it was a mistake -- did not repeat itself.
    Thanks for your answers! That makes a lot of sense. The episode was choppy. I felt a little robbed because the concept was interesting. It felt edited, and truly it was. Sorry they did that.

Also, thank you for giving us an idea on Drissi's age. She looks very mature (I'll say she's 19 or 20), and I really would love to see her in MOTUC form. Before watching NA, I just figured Mara and He-Man were the item, but there is a definite connection between Drissi and Adam/He-Man so far.

Onto episode 6, and JO reviewed storyboards!

Thanks for that.

I do think from Episode Six on the series finds its stride. I'm off-line until near Christmas as I now only visit the board around holidays, but will be interested to hear what orgers think about ensuing episodes when I return.

Enjoy the holiday season.

Best,

Jack

Thanks for your answers! That makes a lot of sense. The episode was choppy. I felt a little robbed because the concept was interesting. It felt edited, and truly it was. Sorry they did that.

Also, thank you for giving us an idea on Drissi's age. She looks very mature (I'll say she's 19 or 20), and I really would love to see her in MOTUC form. Before watching NA, I just figured Mara and He-Man were the item, but there is a definite connection between Drissi and Adam/He-Man so far.

Onto episode 6, and JO reviewed storyboards!

I promise to pick up my game everyone Currently in the middle of a move, and holidays of course aren't helping either....we'll get back going real soon.

And the slacker of the year award goes to me!!!

Definitely want to get this series going again! I appreciate all that have joined so far and maybe we'll grab a few more to join us!

It really felt like all involved (myself included) just got pulled away at around the same time. Unfortunately the media player on my laptop (not the disc drive) has gone caput. I can still watch them on my desktop, but time is fleeting for me so I may still not be able to join the discussion. I'd love to get caught up, and help drive this forward, but whether or not that will happen remains to be seen. I really hope it picks up steam though, it was a fun time for me anyway.

Bump, got my DVD player all set to watch this tomorrow, bring the viewing club back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HordakQuack View Post
    Bump, got my DVD player all set to watch this tomorrow, bring the viewing club back!!!
    Time to call the troops back!

I'm onboard to field questions, accept praise and duck hurled heads of rotten cabbage.

I really do enjoy the opening sequence, the animation, voiceovers and music are all terrific.

Nice last few episodes recapped is helpful for those that took months off from viewing. Flogg really needs to standup to Skeletor and overthrow him! But then again, Skele uses jussssst the right words. Master manipulator at work. We need more NA cosplayers! Lots of great choices, seeing a Sebrian would be the tops! I always like the "final" face offs you would see in 80s cartoons, the Megatron/OP comes to mind in season one, of course the bad guy won't fight fair.

Wow, totally forgot about the scientist voices! LOL. Please tell me you did one of them Jack! Annnnnd another mishap. I enjoyed the brief Sorceress visit while He-Man was on his way, nice throwback to HMaTMOTU. Haha that one pilot sounded like Dirty Harry!! Nice optimism Sebrian. Haha loved how Skeletor seemed scared that He-Man didn't show. Great backdrop for their fight, and kudos to He-Man's line about their final battle. Get on the ship Aladdin! Stormtrooper helmet ripoff jk Jack! Nice meteor hailstorm! Never give up Sebrian!

Fun episode, loved the plot and the execution. Drissy is so in looooooove. Great CPR moral at the end as well, I'm not certified myself.

No, thank you very much, I did NOT do one of the scientists' voices.

As for CPR, get certified. Everyone should be CPR certified...and that's coming from a former USAF helicopter Search-and-Rescue medic.

Quote Originally Posted by HordakQuack View Post
    I really do enjoy the opening sequence, the animation, voiceovers and music are all terrific.

Nice last few episodes recapped is helpful for those that took months off from viewing. Flogg really needs to standup to Skeletor and overthrow him! But then again, Skele uses jussssst the right words. Master manipulator at work. We need more NA cosplayers! Lots of great choices, seeing a Sebrian would be the tops! I always like the "final" face offs you would see in 80s cartoons, the Megatron/OP comes to mind in season one, of course the bad guy won't fight fair.

Wow, totally forgot about the scientist voices! LOL. Please tell me you did one of them Jack! Annnnnd another mishap. I enjoyed the brief Sorceress visit while He-Man was on his way, nice throwback to HMaTMOTU. Haha that one pilot sounded like Dirty Harry!! Nice optimism Sebrian. Haha loved how Skeletor seemed scared that He-Man didn't show. Great backdrop for their fight, and kudos to He-Man's line about their final battle. Get on the ship Aladdin! Stormtrooper helmet ripoff jk Jack! Nice meteor hailstorm! Never give up Sebrian!

Fun episode, loved the plot and the execution. Drissy is so in looooooove. Great CPR moral at the end as well, I'm not certified myself.

Jack thanks so much for still hanging around the boards! We don't ever want you to leave, especially not before we finish the series