Thread: MOTU Movie script

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar

MOTU Movie script

I was wondering if any of you guys have ever found the MOTU movie script. I've been searching through my usual script movie websites, but no such luck. I've found the "other" modern script, but I haven't found the original movie script.

Just an FYI, it's not illegal to d/l movie scripts. Most studios freely send them out after a while and send them to individuals and universities for screenplay award considerations and for education purposes.
    You just read a post from the head Honcho of Nerds On A Couch!

I don't know where to find that.
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

Yeah, I'm surprised it's not out there with all the movie scripts you can find online.
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2017!

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    I'd love to find a copy of it. Years ago, there was a place in Cambridge, MA called Pix Poster Cellar and they sold loads of movie script xeroxes, but I never ran across the Masters of the Universe script there.

The best bet might be asking people who worked on the movie. I'm sure at least some of the people involved with the film held on to their copy.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

The 87 movie or the Justin Marks script?
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

You can buy a copy of the December 5, 1985 draft at these stores:
    http://www.hollywoodbookcity.com/MovieScripts.php
    http://scriptcity.com/index.php?p=product&id=26359
    http://www.hollywoodscriptshop.com/movie_scripts_M.html

There's an undated "first draft" (not sure it was despite what the cover says but it was an earlier draft) as well but I don't know where you can find it anymore.

I believe there must have been many drafts and revisions total...

Quote Originally Posted by Jox View Post
    You can buy a copy of the December 5, 1985 draft at these stores:
    http://www.hollywoodbookcity.com/MovieScripts.php
    http://scriptcity.com/index.php?p=product&id=26359
    http://www.hollywoodscriptshop.com/movie_scripts_M.html

There's an undated "first draft" (not sure it was despite what the cover says but it was an earlier draft) as well but I don't know where you can find it anymore.

I believe there must have been many drafts and revisions total...
    Some details about the December draft: http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/m...-worldbuilding

I believe the undated script is the one that doesn't credit a writer, correct?

As far as I know, that's the draft Gary Goddard wrote. It was definitely inspired by Odell's script, but making it a bit darker and weirder, like Goddard's vision of the movie. Cannon hired on Stephen Tolkin to try to merge the two, and that's what made it to screen.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianCBaer View Post
    I believe the undated script is the one that doesn't credit a writer, correct?
    No, it credits David Odell and you can tell it's a much earlier draft than the 12/85 version. And like I said there must have been many drafts and revisions total despite the misleading fact that only two resurfaced (there are plenty of them are in Goddard's office).
    Also, most people don't realise how early Ed Pressman (who people forget is the real producer of the film more than Cannon) started development work on making a film, not so long after the toys first came out (and before the Filmation show)...

As far as I know, that's the draft Gary Goddard wrote. It was definitely inspired by Odell's script, but making it a bit darker and weirder, like Goddard's vision of the movie. Cannon hired on Stephen Tolkin to try to merge the two, and that's what made it to screen.
    From my recollection it's basically: Tolkin rewrote Odell and the latter appreciated what he did (the two are good friends), then he was rewritten by Goddard, but because it wasn't considered good Tolkin had to rewrite over Goddard who kept re-changing it daily... Tolkin's conclusion from this experience was basically "a director is gonna shoot what he wants to shoot no matter what you write"...

To be honest from all the research and interviews I did about the film, I suspect both of them (and a lot of people involved) not to be completely honest whether it's bad faith, failing memory or a point of view unaware of certain things/facts. So ultimately a 100% honest, accurate and complete genesis and history of the production is nearly impossible 30 years later...
    Last edited by Jox; January 19, 2017 at 02:51am.

I would love to read the script that included She-Ra. According to William Stout there was a draft of the movie script where She-Ra's part was as big as Teela's role.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jox View Post
    No, it credits David Odell and you can tell it's a much earlier draft than the 12/85 version. And like I said there must have been many drafts and revisions total despite the misleading fact that only two resurfaced (there are plenty of them are in Goddard's office).
    Also, most people don't realise how early Ed Pressman (who people forget is the real producer of the film more than Cannon) started development work on making a film, not so long after the toys first came out (and before the Filmation show)...

From my recollection it's basically: Tolkin rewrote Odell and the latter appreciated what he did (the two are good friends), then he was rewritten by Goddard, but because it wasn't considered good Tolkin had to rewrite over Goddard who kept re-changing it daily... Tolkin's conclusion from this experience was basically "a director is gonna shoot what he wants to shoot no matter what you write"...

To be honest from all the research and interviews I did about the film, I suspect both of them (and a lot of people involved) not to be completely honest whether it's bad faith, failing memory or a point of view unaware of certain things/facts. So ultimately a 100% honest, accurate and complete genesis and history of the production is nearly impossible 30 years later...
    Thank you! I've had a lot of trouble piecing that timeline together as well. I've spoken with both Goddard and Tolkin about that process, and it just confused me even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    I would love to read the script that included She-Ra. According to William Stout there was a draft of the movie script where She-Ra's part was as big as Teela's role.
    Goddard has one. From what I understand She-Ra was not in Odell's very first draft (not sure she even existed back then) and later they tried to fit and kinda "paste" her in but obviously they ultimately had to omit her from the script and that didn't work out...

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Would really love to read the original vintage movie script and its different drafts.

Also still curious of any info about 2nd movie as some folks keep saying something about He-Man being on earth as quarterback as fact. But they never provide sources or citations.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Thanks for the links. Very cool!
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Would really love to read the original vintage movie script and its different drafts.

Also still curious of any info about 2nd movie as some folks keep saying something about He-Man being on earth as quarterback as fact. But they never provide sources or citations.
    It's from a brief LA TIMES news that I think I was one of the first to dig up but you're right nobody cares to quote their sources anymore):
    Laird Hamilton takes over Dolph Lundgren's He-Man role in Cannon's "Masters of the Universe II." Albert Pyun directs the sequel, which takes the superhero to Earth disguised as a football quarterback.

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-01-...1_diane-keaton
    You'll also hear Albert Pyun talking about his take on MASTERS 2 on the 20 minutes prologue of his CYBORG director's cut audio commentary. He doesn't exactly mentions the quaterback thing but talks in great length about the film being set on Earth and his desire to make a very different and darker film that one might expect... To be honest you can't keep from thinking fans probably would have been even more alienated had he made the film he had in mind because he didn't seem to have particular connection or sensibility regarding MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE...