Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: if Mattel can not have the FILMATION rights...

if Mattel can not have the FILMATION rights...

I don´t know if it has been already discussed (I can not spend a long time reading all the forum threads) but...

an idea came to my mind... if Mattel can´t get Filmation rights to produce those characters? why don´t the owners of those rights get to hire another company to make them??

imagine FILMATION CLASSICS made by... Hasbro??

or Neca, or Mezco, they work great on likenesses!
    Last edited by carlosdeanda; June 24, 2011 at 06:27pm.

I'm not sure if that's the case here, but generally in a situation such as this, Mattel would have exclusive rights to action figures, whereas Classic Media could do just about anything else.

Or I could be making that up.

Hover Robots in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    This will never happen.

And threads like this will likely not be a concern come SDCC.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Skeletor's Hover Robots 2) Sssqueeze 3) Tung Lashor 4) Stridor 5) Night Stalker 6) Lizard Man 7) Battle Ram (back half) 8) Roton 9) Multi-Bot 10) Ninjor 11) Dragstor 13) Blast-Attak 14) Saurod 15) Gwildor 16) Snake Mountain 17) TC Skeletor 18) FF He-Man 19) Karg

if Mattel can not have the FILMATION rights...it would be a great ,huge,big disappointment
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosdeanda View Post
    I don´t know if it has been already discussed (I can not spend a long time reading all the forum threads) but...

an idea came to my mind... if Mattel can´t get Filmation rights to produce those characters? why don´t the owners of those rights get to hire another company to make them??

imagine FILMATION CLASSICS made by... Hasbro??

or Neca, or Mezco, they work great on likenesses!
    There's no point in making a toyline with Shadow Weaver, Lizard Man and company without MOTU, so there's no point in NOT making a deal with Mattel.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

anyway, they would sell and the would be OFFICIAL

If I'm not mistake, CM CANNOT make toys of ANY MOTU characters (including filmation specific characters) it's a strange deal but essentially, mattel has to licence the filmation only characters from CM, but CM would have to have mattel sign off on toys, I don't think CM can do anything without SOME permission from mattel. it's kind of a Gift of the Magi relationship
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Warrior
    Might be a little off topic here, but are the Filmation rights and the 1987 movie rights in different hands?

Marketing Manager at Mattel Toyguru's Avatar
    Filmation is with Classic Media, the 1987 film is with WB. And no, just because we have relationships with both companies through other projects does not just automatically give us the rights to either library.

Hover Robots in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    So you're essentially saying you don't have the rights to make figures from either?
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Skeletor's Hover Robots 2) Sssqueeze 3) Tung Lashor 4) Stridor 5) Night Stalker 6) Lizard Man 7) Battle Ram (back half) 8) Roton 9) Multi-Bot 10) Ninjor 11) Dragstor 13) Blast-Attak 14) Saurod 15) Gwildor 16) Snake Mountain 17) TC Skeletor 18) FF He-Man 19) Karg

So you're essentially asking him to reveal/shoot down the FILMATION RIGHTS announcement?

LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    Filmation is with Classic Media, the 1987 film is with WB. And no, just because we have relationships with both companies through other projects does not just automatically give us the rights to either library.
    Ha, still doesn’t say outright. A little advice, Toyguru, if Mattel aren’t now producing Filmation figures, you better find shelter and plenty of it come July.

Heroic Horde General Canada-Man's Avatar
    imo I don't think its fair that we hound scott to death about this. whether the filmation rights be attained or not we should just wait and see.

I think scott realizes how much of a disapointment it would be for most of the fans to not get the rights but we should just be patient and just be excited there is a motu toyline we can enjoy right now.

Lets all just be friends

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada-Man View Post
    imo I don't think its fair that we hound scott to death about this. whether the filmation rights be attained or not we should just wait and see.

I think scott realizes how much of a disapointment it would be for most of the fans to not get the rights but we should just be patient and just be excited there is a motu toyline we can enjoy right now.

Lets all just be friends
    I don't know if Scott is being hounded to death, and I for one am glad that what will probably be the best MOTU toyline ever produced is still being produced. And while I will not condone it, fan uproar if we see no Filmation figures will indeed be something to behold. Scott knows this.

Thus, again, with no forthright denial but only things like "Just because we have a deal does not mean we have rights", it seems that we have nearly a 100 percent chance of seeing at least one Filmation figure shown at SDCC for 2012. The little clues and evasions, while in themselves not enough proof, together make a nearly airtight case for those of us who believe Filmation rights have been secured.

Toyguru could easily say: "We still are not permitted to make figures of SDCC-exclusive figures, and we do not expect them any time in the near future." He has been quick and more than willing to say such things in the past when big announcements have been hinted at, even before a question about Filmation rights have been asked. The fact that he refuses to do so is therefore extremely strong confirmation without saying it outright.

Because "Just because we have a deal with Classic Media does not mean we have rights" also means "Just because we have a deal with Classic Media does not mean we still DO NOT have rights"

A forthright denial would be easy, and given the fevered expectations, the fact that it hasn't come out just means that Filmation rights have finally been secured.

Either that, or Mattel just does not understand the toy nerd community!
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    And while I will not condone it, fan uproar if we see no Filmation figures will indeed be something to behold. Scott knows this.
    Agreed! Unless Scott is planning to speak at SDCC via webcam from some secure undisclosed location, he's playing with fire by not just nipping this thing in the bud now and letting speculation go wild in other less-volatile directions. If he says "we still can't make them," I cannot imagine the fury that'd be unleashed by that let down! I mean I don't think there would literally be violence...but it would be a very uncomfortable room I'm sure. But if he gets to announce Filmation characters, I think he's going to have a really really fine day in July.
    Last edited by gbagok; June 26, 2011 at 09:41pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Ha, still doesn’t say outright. A little advice, Toyguru, if Mattel aren’t now producing Filmation figures, you better find shelter and plenty of it come July.
    Geez dude. I seriously doubt if the decision to attain Filmation rights is entirely (if at all) in Scott's hands considering money is probably THE deciding factor.

Evil Apologist of Mattel® Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Agreed! Unless Scott is planning to speak at SDCC via webcam from some secure undisclosed location, he's playing with fire by not just nipping this thing in the bud now and letting speculation go wild in other less-volatile directions. If he says "we still can't make them," I cannot imagine the fury that'd be unleashed by that let down! I mean I don't think there would literally be violence...but it would be a very uncomfortable room I'm sure. But if he gets to announce Filmation characters, I think he's going to have a really really fine day in July.
    I think he's gonna have two Matty faces on the wall behind his podium that are going to blow a smoke screen as soon as he's done with the presentation so he can vanish quickly to escape towards Mattel HQ via escape pod.
    -=¤EvilCøuntMarzø¤=-
    BLÅÇK FLØWËRŠ!!!!

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    Well if TG dosent announce filmation rights i will order an airstrike on SDCC of my nuclear warheads.

*Please note if any American Defences are reading this post i really dont have any nuclear warheads. Just so you dont knock my door down at 2 in the morning.
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

But if he gets to announce Filmation characters, I think he's going to have a really really fine day in July.
    I think Scott is going to have a very happy and grand SDCC, and I think MOTU fans are going to be very excited.

We are about a month away now, and I look forward to Scott making more posts to mess with us till then
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    So 1987 movie figures are happing too now?!!!

So excited!!! I hope the statue at SDCC is a Dolph He-Man. . .(and maybe Shadow Weaver too)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    So 1987 movie figures are happing too now?!!!

So excited!!! I hope the statue at SDCC is a Dolph He-Man. . .(and maybe Shadow Weaver too)
    You trolling?

I still think that if Toyguru doesn't announce the rights, it will be the fan's fault for hyping these huge announcements up to such a degree. Toyguru said early on that he wasn't confirming or denying anything.

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

One of the goals of the Matty panel at SDCC is to sell subscriptions for 2012. If a lot of fans are anticipating (rightly or wrongly) Filmation rights and Mattel doesn't have them, this might put into jeopardy how many subscriptions people will buy. In other words, the letdown from the non-announcement may make people think twice about getting one or multiple subscriptions.

If there are no Filmation rights, then the five announcements should be pretty spectacular in order to overcome fans' disappointment and still have them commit to a 2012 subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra_Torque View Post
    One of the goals of the Matty panel at SDCC is to sell subscriptions for 2012. If a lot of fans are anticipating (rightly or wrongly) Filmation rights and Mattel doesn't have them, this might put into jeopardy how many subscriptions people will buy. In other words, the letdown from the non-announcement may make people think twice about getting one or multiple subscriptions.

If there are no Filmation rights, then the five announcements should be pretty spectacular in order to overcome fans' disappointment and still have them commit to a 2012 subscription.
    I can second this notion. I will not be renewing my sub in 2012 (and I have been a sub holder since the first sub) as I am counting on Filmation rights being secured. To me, if they don't secure the rights with all that is going on now, then they never will, and without those rights, there is no need to be in the sub or continue a line that will likely not last much longer anyhow (I could be wrong, but without Filmation, I don't see it lasting). I can just pick the figures I want to have out of the remaining figures as I will pretty much be done with line after this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra_Torque View Post

That's depends on how many hardcore Filmation fans we have compared to the general MOTU fans who aren't really held whether we have Filmation characters or not. People are still going to buy subs if the Rights aren't announced.