View Poll Results: He-Man's violence level on the Silver Screen

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • He-Man will leave you unharmed. Filmation violence.

1 0.61%
  • He-Man will punch foes out, but not kill. MYP violence.

45 27.61%
  • He-Man should only kill in extreme situations.

41 25.15%
  • He-Man should kill in battle, but is merciful to surrendering foes.

64 39.26%
  • He-Man should dutifully slay every threat to Eternia.

3 1.84%
  • He-Man is bloodthirsty and lusts for battle.

9 5.52%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: He-Man's violence level in movie

Huge custard eating power flaming_knob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzysim3 View Post
    NO killing. Myp had a good level of violence. you may be allowed to crank it up a notch in the movie but no killing. He's strong enough to slam villians so theres no need. He-mans greatest strength has always been his intelligence anyway.
    I'm with this guy... Carry on good sir!
    We don't need no education...

Yes you do, you've just used a double negative!

I'd say only in extreme situations. I don't need ultra-violence in my MOTU, even though I'm not opposed to it in other venues.

I base whether I think a character should or not on a case-by-case examination.

For example, Superman should never kill not only because he's the (actual) most powerful man in the universe, not only because he's the kind of everyman who would just draw a line against killing for himself in general, but because NOT killing forces him to get creative with solving problems in the hands of a good writer.

King Arthur is a philosopher king more than a warrior, and he basically based his reign on the principle that might does not make right, so he would kill in battle if he had to to protect himself or his kingdom, but he would never enjoy it.

Conan the Barbarian kills without hesitation, and with great relish.

He-Man... He's a barbarian too, like Conan. I don't think there's a single reason for him not to kill, for example, Skeletor, given the chance, even if the Lord of Destruction were to surrender. He-Man would still kill him.

Yet Adam is much closer to being King Arthur, and I don't think he'd condone vigilante justice on anyone who might get a fair trial. He might be okay with killing Skeletor, but I think he'd be far more inclined to take prisoners if he could.

Basically, I want ADAM to have MYP's morality, but HE-MAN to be... not nearly as bloodthirsty as Conan, because that would be FAR excessive, but let's say he'll kill anyone he doesn't think CAN be successfully taken prisoner.

I said that he should spare surrendering foes, and I think he should even disarm and demand surrender before killing in some cases, but I think that it depends entirely on who he's fighting. If Jitsu surrendered, he might be spared. If Skeletor surrendered, he would have his skull cleaved in two.

That said, Skeletor, Hordak, King Hiss, or anyone on a similar threat level should not surrender to He-Man, ever, so the DISARMAMENT/SURRENDER vs KILLING debate SHOULD NOT BE AN ISSUE.

But of course, I've lost sight of the topic;we're talking about the movie.

Let's keep it PG-13, but don't water it down either. Much as I dislike the franchise, Narnia is a good model. Or possibly Lord of the Rings. Maybe Star Wars. You know.

I think somewhere between MYP and Extreme Situations--- although I can't see He-Man/Adam brutalizing a surrendering foe either. It has to be a fine balance, but I don't think Filmation is a good level of realism even if I like their storybones the best because they often relied on story to make up for shortcomings in their animation. Realistically there's going to be those people you have to kill in He-Man's situation. Far as killing Skeletor, no. I could see killing Hordak, but not Skeletor. Two different levels of evil there. Hordak presents an enormous threat on a galactic level (the Horde), while Skeletor is a rival king who hates Randor and wants his toys for various reasons (He-Man only became an issue, much like Greyskull and punishing the Sorceress, because they stood in the way of him conquering Randor's kingdom. More than half of his rants are about Randor). Also, Skeletor was shown to have good within him on several occasions while Hordak was not (Filmation) outside being made uncomfortably aware that he was "missing something" in "Into the Dark Dimension". I love Langellator (from the movie) and I think he's really where Skeletor should be at-- fully developed sense of humor, capable of affection (for Evil-Lyn at the very least. If the movie includes Panthor and Screech, definitely towards them.), domineering but not unlikeable as a tyrant etc-- with some added caveats as I can't see Skeletor killing his minions out of hand. I always felt Saurod's death was a bit far for him and as a kid waffled between Saurod actually having been teleported (painfully) to a cell or Skeletor having suspected that he was a spy (Snake Man) and just looking for a reason to kill him before he betrayed them all. Kicking out failing henchfolk, oh yes that is definitely a Skeletor thing to do, but not killing them. That's more a Hordak thing to do as he has millions upon millions of replacements. Skeletor's resources and personnel are far far more precious. I do believe that Skeletor would kill to advance his plans... but he's a tactician. It shouldn't be some random violence for teh evluls. He can do a variety of funny, horrible things (curses come to mind, transformations) for the evluls rather than becoming a 2d villain for the sake of ease. Even back in the day Skeletor had a series of lines he would not cross-- that's why Marzo was the Eternian drug dealer, etc. The boundaries of a character are as important as the character's core-- hollywood tends to forget this in the rush to make things shiny and explodey.
    Signed by-- ME!

---
    Did I ever grow up? Probably not. I'm sure the day-glo socks gave it away anyway.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    The Violence Knob has to be turned up to 11!
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

super violence

lots of blood

gore

gore

gore

Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

The battle scenes have to appeal to a wide audience if it's ever going to sell. He-Man can cut down nameless mooks left and right and be able to show mercy to those who throw their weapons down. Character deaths only at the climax.

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    I don't think He-Man should be a total killer, I kind of like a balance of maybe he would but only if he had to. Unless its fodder evil warriors or something. Skeletor and all the other baddies however should be really dark, violent and kill happy.

Quote Originally Posted by masterenglish View Post
    Unless its fodder evil warriors or something.
    Well that's the thing though, isn't it? If He-Man is willing to cut down nameless armies in Skeletor's service, but not Trap-Jaw or something, what does that say about him? No, I think he either has to be willing to kill either everyone, no one, or only the most dangerous, like Skeletor, Evil Lyn, Beast Man, etc. If he kills Evil Mooks but not full-on Evil Warriors, I think it just makes him look hypocritical. That said, I definitely see Randor's armies playing a role, and Skeletor's as well. And in wars, people die. There's no way around that.
    Skeletor and all the other baddies however should be really dark, violent and kill happy.
    THIS, however, I completely agree with. There is no plot-reason why Skeletor would not be willing to kill or have killed innocent Heroic Mooks or even Heroic Warriors if given the chance. I wouldn't mind seeing him kill some Palace Guards or even a low-level Heroic Warrior like Mekanek or Roboto.

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    Theres a lot of value and worth questions in Masters.

The easiest killing question is that of animals ,,and then you can ask about people or creature-people.

(the bigger the animal the more need to defend yourself is not nessasarily true on Eternia)

Pride, vengance, and simple acidents are likely reasons for fighting on Eternia, even for animals.

Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA. Moved from El Paso, TX
    Mattel is going to want to reach the widest audience possible, and that's a PG-13 movie - so that's the level of violence I'll expect to see. Beheadings and limb removal Star Wars style; not bloody and gory, limited to two on living beings unlimited for machines. Just look at Avengers, someone mentioned Narnia and that's a great guideline.

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    ..in my work, the crippling of TrapJaw and RamMan are serious/meaningful injuries and possibly frighteningly gorey.

Also, if Granamyr the dragon eats someone, it could be funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    I'd say only in extreme situations. I don't need ultra-violence in my MOTU, even though I'm not opposed to it in other venues.
    Yup. Agree. Kindof like Captain America: Dosen't want to, dosen't enjoy it, but for the greater good, it's his duty. And if he does kill, it comes with a huge amount of moral baggage and soul-searching.

Quote Originally Posted by MLHumble View Post
    Yup. Agree. Kindof like Captain America: Dosen't want to, dosen't enjoy it, but for the greater good, it's his duty. And if he does kill, it comes with a huge amount of moral baggage and soul-searching.
    I want He man to become even more powerfull then ever before. after the death of the origanall sorceress, He man becomes a recluse in Casstle Grayskull. learning all the secrets and powers that Grayskull has. He man aquires God like power, and bent on makeing sure Teela, the new Sorceress,doseint suffer the same fate as the former Sorceress. becomes King He man, and Teela, naturallly falls in love with He man, becomeing the Queen.

He man no longer plays games with Skelertor, and kills him swiftly. many times over the course of many movies. I know getting ahead of myself.this is when its confirmed that Skelertor is undead. and can not be killed, and will allways comes back somehow. in all his glory, usurely by Evil lyn, finding a piece of him after he been destroyed by He man. and useing a combination of magic and science, to regenerate him back into existance.

but not for lack of trying He man, or King Heman, along with the new sorceress, and fellow Masters. is now awefully sick of Skelertors antics, and trys to destroy every shred of Skelertor.or at least make it seem that way. because of the cosmic ballance, He man secretly knows he cant permently get rid of Skelertor.and thus pretends not to see Evil lyn exscape with a fragment of Skelertors bone face.to resurect him from,perhaps a cameo of the devil,himself while hes on the other side. giveing Skelertor a pat on the back for all his evillness he's done and will do in the future.and telling Skelertor to be warry as King he man. as he's become something like a God.

and has the power to prove it, just before being Resurected back in the land of the liveing. Skelertor is astonished And terrifyed to learn to learn, that King He man, is nearly unbeatable and strugles with his resolve to atack to soon,without a good battle plan. I truely belive that Skelertor, being a magicly undead being. with the ability to come back from death.will allways be a major selling point for MOTU in my opinion.and I would bank on, it if it was up to me.

so dose anyone die yes Skelertor, everyone else can go to eternian prison.

Snappy Threader
    Violence on the Star Wars level works for me.

i voted MYP violence, but i can live with he-man killing in extreme situations.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!

He-Man shouldn`t kill.
    MOTUC Most Wanted : Attak Trak, Stridor, Night Stalker, Dragstor, Masks of Power Demons, Alcala-Style-Figures, Point Dread & Talon Fighter

PG-13, any killings will not be shown, no blood. Of course Zombies or Robots will be allowed to be hacked to pieces.

Not even a question, this is MPAA and Hollywood in 2014
    HAVES: MOSS MAN, ADORA, Mantenna, King Randor
    WANTS: Webstor
    Toyguru Collector Supreme posted December 12, 2013 "Can't understand what you are asking. Sorry."
    Toyguru Marketing Manager Mattel posted March 16, 2014 "Every great project from toys to movie and a TV usually need a fan base to support it and an "internal champion" that keeps it going through the system."

He-Man should not kill anyone. Some punches are fine but no killing. He-Man is the most powerful man in the universe, and violence is a sign of weakness. The two just don't go together.

Also, we all saw what happened with the new "darker" Superman. I don't want that to happen to He-Man...

Heroic Warrior
    Option four- 'He-Man should kill in battle, but is merciful to surrendering foes.'
    In the mini-comic, I see plenty of sharp, pointy weapons getting brandished, and as far as He-Man, he uses a sword and a battle axe, not a taser and rolled-up newspaper!
    As far as the Filmation cartoon, I'm pretty sure that fabulous secret nothing would have been revealed to Adam had he held aloft his pepper spray, emergency services telephone number, appointment sheet for a hand-holding support group, or anything except the magic sword that allowed him to oppose a brutal, violent warlord-sorcerer!
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

I think the violence should be similar in style, levels, and approach to films such as POTC, Star Wars, Lone Ranger...fun, action-oriented, PG-13 stuff.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!