Thread: Will 2010 turn out to be the year of the minority?

Will 2010 turn out to be the year of the minority?

So far we know

January - Adora (female, PoP, never had a figure before)
    April - Evil Lyn (female)
    May - Optikk (NA)

Out of 5 announced figures so far, we've had 2 females and 1 NA figure, which has outnumbered the male MotU figures (aka what some will call Classics although I disagree with that of course). We do know that She-Ra (female, PoP) will be in the line-up for 2010.

Do you think the rest of 2010 will continue the trend and give us a good selection of females, PoP and NA figures, 200x era characters (such as Keldor, Captain Randor, Nameless One, Queen Andreenos, etc.), prototypes (Eldor!), minicomics characters (Pink Sorceress!), or will Mattel attempt to "balance" (or will that be unbalance?) things out by giving us more male 80s-era MotU figures? I hope it's the former!
    Got Fur

I want a Glimmer by the end of 2012 and Extendar by 2013!
    Other Wants:
    MotU: Rokkon, Stonedar, Dragstor, Modulok, Multi-bot, Horde Trooper, DB Skeletor
    PoP: Peekablue, Madam Razz, Lighthope, Kowl
    NA: Quakke, Sagitarr
    MYP: Hawk, Queen Andreenos, Lord Dactys
    Mini-Comics: Kex Queen, Tug-of-War Yellow Warrior, King Hiss' Slave Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Novelty View Post
    So far we know

January - Adora (female, PoP, never had a figure before)
    April - Evil Lyn (female)
    May - Optikk (NA)

Out of 5 announced figures so far, we've had 2 females and 1 NA figure, which has outnumbered the male MotU figures (aka what some will call Classics although I disagree with that of course). We do know that She-Ra (female, PoP) will be in the line-up for 2010.

Do you think the rest of 2010 will continue the trend and give us a good selection of females, PoP and NA figures, 200x era characters (such as Keldor, Captain Randor, Nameless One, Queen Andreenos, etc.), prototypes (Eldor!), minicomics characters (Pink Sorceress!), or will Mattel attempt to "balance" (or will that be unbalance?) things out by giving us more male 80s-era MotU figures? I hope it's the former!

Nameless one? Is that he same as the faceless one?

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    In MOTU Universe almost everything is a minority:

-Rock People (Stonedar, Rokkon)
    -Meteorbs
    -Twistoids
    -Snakemen (only 6 figures)
    -Movie Figures (only 3 figures)
    -Unproduced figures (Eldor, Darius)
    -Never redone figures since vintage (Ninjor, Blastattack, Dragstor...)
    -Never produced figures (Cringer, Marlena, Fearles Photog)
    -The Giants (Tytus and Megador)

So every year will be a year of minorities for me.
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

As we've seen in previous years, I think standard monthly figures and bonuses in 2010 will definitely be dominated by characters from the world of classic MOTU, but I'm really hoping the folks over at Mattel stop feeling like they're obligated to put most of the focus there. If all the lines are truly unified now, it shouldn't matter if we have one year where, say, 8 out of 12 figures are POP or a mix of POP, NA and 200X. I think it's time to start establishing many less-known characters for future use.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I wouldn't even count Evil-Lyn as a minority.

Vintage:
    Battle Armor He-Man
    Trap Jaw
    Battle Cat
    Moss Man
    Evil-Lyn
    Orko

POP
    Adora
    She-Ra

NA
    Opitkk

200X
    Keldor

As ever, the vintage fans have nothing to worry about as they are getting the most releases.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    I think it's still a bit soon to call 2010 "the year of the minorities"...

So far, we've got Adora, Evil Lyn, Trap Jaw, Battle Armor He-Man, Battlecat... All of them are important characters ! And Orko and She-ra will come soon too !

I'm actually happy we begin to see POP and NA characters appear, and also "never released before characters". I just hope and pray that the priority shall be given to the 80's MOTU figures, that's all. Just because I'm afraid that every 80's character won't get a new figure. But I'm all for the other figures... just a bit later.

To me, the BIG question for 2010 is : will the Filmations rights be bought by Mattel, and do we have any chance to see characters such as Shadow Weaver any time soon ? Because THESE characters are also a minority !

I'd like to know who will be the June character... Orko ? She-Ra ?

Ans I'm pretty certain that we'll have to wait til SDCC before we're able to learn more about the future of the line and about new exciting figures...

In my opinion, 2010 might be a dangerous year for MOTUC. Not because of the fans, but because of the bad options Mattel might take... or has already taken !

What will happen to the next female characters ? Bobbleheads or not bobbleheads ? "Normal" movements of the head or impaired head movements ? Alternate heads, or no alternate heads ? Personally, the way Mattel will treat their female figures will decide if I will buy POP secondary characters (Angella, Netossa etc.) or not. And that's quite a lot of figures...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectror View Post
    I'm actually happy we begin to see POP and NA characters appear, and also "never released before characters". I just hope and pray that the priority shall be given to the 80's MOTU figures, that's all. Just because I'm afraid that every 80's character won't get a new figure. But I'm all for the other figures... just a bit later.
    If the line is going to survive until 2016, I think the 80's characters are going to get spread out farther, especially guys like Sorceress, Ram Man or Man-E-Faces, so we can get Vizarr or Double Trouble.

Vintage fans will have to learn to share.

To me, the BIG question for 2010 is : will the Filmations rights be bought by Mattel, and do we have any chance to see characters such as Shadow Weaver any time soon ? Because THESE characters are also a minority !
    I wouldn't think that Filmation characters would ever be a minority. Almost everyone grew up with Filmation's canon.

Ans I'm pretty certain that we'll have to wait til SDCC before we're able to learn more about the future of the line and about new exciting figures...
    I think we'll learn about the summertime figures at NY Toyfair in February.

In my opinion, 2010 might be a dangerous year for MOTUC. Not because of the fans, but because of the bad options Mattel might take... or has already taken !
    I agree, because MOTUC is slowly running out of big characters to rely on. We're already almost halfway through the Evil Warriors.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    As we've seen in previous years, I think standard monthly figures and bonuses in 2010 will definitely be dominated by characters from the world of classic MOTU, but I'm really hoping the folks over at Mattel stop feeling like they're obligated to put most of the focus there.
    I don't think it's as much as an obligation, but necessity. I think that most of us realize that the characters from the vintage era are the meat and potatoes of this line that will keep the interest high and keep it going. Having characters from the other universes is fine, but to keep this line as strong and going it needs to have the vintage aspect of it front and center.

A true test of things will be this up coming year as other figures are incorporated. The subscriptions do add a flawed study of popularity though since those are already locked sales on a portion of the numbers, but aside from the subscriptions, sales on the website should give a good indication to what popularity these characters have.

I think that the subscriptions were a smart move on behalf of Mattel as it allows them to experiment with these obscure/lesser know characters while at the LEAST selling some of them in the subscriptions. If you don't think that this is an experiment watch how many of these will magically land in the subscription rather then as *Bonus* figures, I guarantee you 95-100% of them will be subscription based, thus creating some sort of parachute.

They do have to be careful in overdoing it tho *and I think that they will be* or people may be hesitant in purchasing them, "subscriptions" the future.
    Last edited by Riddle of Steel; January 11, 2010 at 11:18am.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    I think we need to look at what a minority means. She-ra and Evil-lyn are clearly coming this year. To me, those are heavy hitters and stables in the MOTU line. Trap-Jaw is a major hitter in my book. Mossman and Optikk can be debated. I personally consider Mossman a favorite but not a main stay guy. Optikk is rather cool looking, but I never had him in my NA collection, so I'm 50/50 on him.

He-man, no matter what form he's in is a major hitter. It's obvious Thunder Punch He-man is coming. So He-man is going to be popping in often apperantly.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

I won't believe it's the Year of the Minority until I see Songster set to be a monthly subscription figure this year!!!
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Quote Originally Posted by Novelty View Post
    O/T - Novelty, you seem to have disconnected
    the possibillity to recive PM's ... pls correct it!
    Armageddon will soon be here,
    the sinners will meet their fate.
    But I am calm and without fear,
    as I feed upon my hate.

Heroic Warrior
    If the line is going to survive until 2016, I think the 80's characters are going to get spread out farther, especially guys like Sorceress, Ram Man or Man-E-Faces, so we can get Vizarr or Double Trouble.

Vintage fans will have to learn to share.
    It might be... Still, I believe that Mattel should first release the characters that are most requested by the fans !

Andn as far as NA is concerned. Kayo or Sagitar might make me very happy. But Vizar ? Well, sorry, but I hope we don't see him before a while. Not that I don't love him, but I'd prefer Tung Lashor, Grizzlor, Rio Blast, Clawful, Bow, Kowl and Karatti to be released first !

I think Mattel should create a regular pattern in the releases. This way, we would know at least what to expect during the year, without removing the surprises.

I think we'll learn about the summertime figures at NY Toyfair in February.
    I truly hope you're right on that one, because I just can't wait !

I don't care what comes when, as long as I can look ack when the line is finally over (years and years and years from now) and be happy to own Classics versions of every version of every MOTU character, beast, and accessory as well as a few choice vehicles and playset/dioaramas. And then I can also sit down and watch my Super-DVD (or whatever format we're watching by then) of the MOTU movie series with my (as of now, unborn) kiddos.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!