View Poll Results: Should mattel tell us what figures they are doing ahead of time?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I want to know and give input

58 40.85%
  • Yes I want to know but names only (no input)

17 11.97%
  • No it would ruin the surprise

32 22.54%
  • No but I do want their site updated more

35 24.65%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mattel and its Secrets

Mattel and its Secrets

As much as I love the SDCC, and the reveals every year, I greatly dislike the secrecy. I dont see why we have to deal with the "We are not willing to comment on anything past ______" statements we get.

Why not, once a figure is done being sculpted, SHOW US. Then fans can be like "no his boots need to be changed" or whatever. We can have input, so things like Snake MAA doesn't happen.

On top of that, having a full list always, would allow Mattel to keep their site up to date always, so they dont update matty collector's "Shop" page 2 days before a sale. Currently I have to rely on a different site to tell what is coming out when, and if it's part of the club or not.

Third I think knowing (for example) Mosquitor is complete, fans have given their input, but he will be Nov. figure in 2013 would only ADD to the suspense, not detract from it. It would also I think boost sales. If people know everything they are getting in to from the start, sub sales wouldn't be so hard, and if they knew somewhere in there they are guaranteed a figure they have been waiting for they will buy. It could even be used to sell subs in terms of "better buy subs for 2013, or Lizardman in 2014 wont be possible!" .... I'd be sure to buy then

So what do you think .... do you like it the way it is, or would you rather know the minute a figure is done?
    Religion = The Horde
    Atheism = The Great Rebellion

I don't want to know about figures ahead of time, too much fan input during work doesn't sound good, it's like having someone constantly telling how you should do your job or how this or that way would be better. Just let them do the magic, in the end of the day you know you'll love it either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    I don't want to know about figures ahead of time, too much fan input during work doesn't sound good, it's like having someone constantly telling how you should do your job or how this or that way would be better. Just let them do the magic, in the end of the day you know you'll love it either way.
    I was thinking in terms of a poll. They show the figure, we all comment over a 1-2 day period. Then a poll based on those comments is held, and if the poll decides changes need to be made, they are. I dont think for a second you could make everyone happy, but you could have more people happy, and have the fans feel like it's their input that molds the line.

If it was done this way, He-Ro would be vac metal, moss mans flocking debacle, she-ras hole in her head, keldors dual swords, king hiss's snake form, the faceless ones paint shceme, and leeches proportions all would have been fixed ... and these are just the things off the top of my head.

I dont see how involving us in the process and not keep secrets could HURT the line .....
    Religion = The Horde

I love it all and will take whatever they can throw at us, so I'm good as is.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickfa View Post
    I was thinking in terms of a poll. They show the figure, we all comment over a 1-2 day period. Then a poll based on those comments is held, and if the poll decides changes need to be made, they are. I dont think for a second you could make everyone happy, but you could have more people happy, and have the fans feel like it's their input that molds the line.

If it was done this way, He-Ro would be vac metal, moss mans flocking debacle, she-ras hole in her head, keldors dual swords, king hiss's snake form, the faceless ones paint shceme, and leeches proportions all would have been fixed ... and these are just the things off the top of my head.

I dont see how involving us in the process and not keep secrets could HURT the line .....

Except... Lots of people hate Vac Metal. It's taken years for them to reverse their decision on the dual swords. a poll wouldn't have fixed anything. And above all, She-ra's hole in the head was the RIGHT MOVE!

She-ra 2.0 can NOT wear her mask over her eyes like she should. The forehead is goofy looking without the bangs, which was needed for the 'snap on' mechanism. I've seen a couple people who were adamant about wanting to show her without her mask, who have changed their mind after seeing the final version.

Fact remains, I do not WANT 8000 fans interfering with the way the Horseman are making these figures. I don't want even a loud 200 to intefere. Considering that I'm usually in the minority as I hate 200x influences and like things as vintage as possible.... I'm generally happy with what we have been getting

Fact is, we're the customer. we buy what they sell. I don't have the God-given right to walk into a mcdonalds and tell them how to decorate it. I don't have any say on how the car companies build my car... I don't get to tell director's how to make my movies... I really wish I DID... but i don't.

I really don't know of any product off the top of my head, where I have as much control over the finished product, as fans want for MOTOC....

Why not, once a figure is done being sculpted, SHOW US. Then fans can be like "no his boots need to be changed" or whatever. We can have input, so things like Snake MAA doesn't happen.
    Besides.... they ARE showing them to us as fast as they can sculpt them. SDCC showed us everything they had available... TP he-man wasn't even finished yet and they still showed us.

So SMAA was not sculpted until Powercon.... and already it's too late to make changes.

If you want a poll.... It'd have to be a poll on the design sketches to have any real impact on the process.
    Last edited by phantom1592; November 4, 2011 at 07:50pm.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    This will probably justify why Mattel doesn't share their plans about upcoming characters: While I don't want to know who is coming, I would like to deal with potential issues WAAAY before the character is made.

If we knew that Snake MAA would have only came with a new head and serpent ring, we could have been pushing for Mattel to add more stuff to that figure OR for Mattel to change the concept of that MAA variant to something else.

If fans knew that Battleground Evil-Lyn was going to re-use the Teela tunic, we could have gotten Mattel to reconsider that idea.

The Blonde Teela Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Horde Wraiths • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

since they already expect us to notice any flaws on the figures (Remember the whole Shoul-Dar gate?) then they should show us ASAP so we can help them nip the bad ideas in the bud... (SMAA being just a head or BGEL's dress reuse)
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

They should only tell me so I can steer them in the right direction. I don't care what they tell anyone else.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Except... Lots of people hate Vac Metal. It's taken years for them to reverse their decision on the dual swords. a poll wouldn't have fixed anything. And above all, She-ra's hole in the head was the RIGHT MOVE!

She-ra 2.0 can NOT wear her mask over her eyes like she should. The forehead is goofy looking without the bangs, which was needed for the 'snap on' mechanism. I've seen a couple people who were adamant about wanting to show her without her mask, who have changed their mind after seeing the final version.

Fact remains, I do not WANT 8000 fans interfering with the way the Horseman are making these figures. I don't want even a loud 200 to intefere. Considering that I'm usually in the minority as I hate 200x influences and like things as vintage as possible.... I'm generally happy with what we have been getting

Fact is, we're the customer. we buy what they sell. I don't have the God-given right to walk into a mcdonalds and tell them how to decorate it. I don't have any say on how the car companies build my car... I don't get to tell director's how to make my movies... I really wish I DID... but i don't.

I really don't know of any product off the top of my head, where I have as much control over the finished product, as fans want for MOTOC....

Besides.... they ARE showing them to us as fast as they can sculpt them. SDCC showed us everything they had available... TP he-man wasn't even finished yet and they still showed us.

So SMAA was not sculpted until Powercon.... and already it's too late to make changes.

If you want a poll.... It'd have to be a poll on the design sketches to have any real impact on the process.
    lol .... what a confusing post. You seem to argue for the "no", but then say "I really wish I DID" have the power to change things. That's exactly what I am asking .... As for cars, mcdonalds, and movies, extensive research is done to figure out what the majority wants in all those cases. A summer of super hero movies isnt a coincidence, cars having better gas mileage isnt by chance, they poll people, they run study groups. All the things you mentioned, are shaped by what we, the consumer wants.

As for all your arguments against vac metal and she-ra and what not, again that was sorta my point. You dont have to agree with wanting a vac metal He-Ro, but you could have put your input into a poll and had your say. If he ended up exactly as he is now, we would at least know it's because 8000 fans came together and said "This is how we want him", and not a handful of mattel guys going "this is what you get".

Then you say a poll on sketches would be necessary .... and again, that's my point. The way it is run now, by the time we see them, it IS too late, because they want to surprise us. If they didnt keep secrets, they could show us a finished sculpt, and it wouldnt be too late.

As it is we only get a say if enough of us rage about it, and even then it's minor changes because they are so far into production. I dont see how fans and customers having input on the items they pay for and are passionate about would be negative.
    Religion = The Horde

Sure I'd like to know and give some input as well if we all could do that.
    By the Power of Grey Skull!

Gotta dig Nutnog's style. audman's Avatar
    I would be happy to have more flexibility in the sense of polling for different things. something like SMAA would have been better to poll on and perhaps do a duel head exclusive somehow. Would have shut up alot of the complainers about them including another quick and easy varient and would have still sold like hotcakes.

I mean i would love to have two versions of standard maa one 200x and one vintage then another as SMAA. But I do think they missed the opportunity to get the buzz on the figure leaving out another head. Why Merman and not snake man at arms?

Getting back on topic though they could do a WWE like poll for what pack in items you would want to see in those unique cases. Almost like how demoman not everyone knows but alot of folks can't wait for their alcala skele head. I know since they pretty much know who is in the pipeline for the next couple years and that is constantly in flux it would be neat if they could at least let us vote on what should be in the next weapons pack.
    Highly Recommended for Fantastic Trades/sales: cayman shen, ElkThunder, Geek-man,

I wish more people (who took this poll at any rate) understood that you cannot make art by committy.

The 4 H have proven they know what they are doing. Anyone who really thinks their opinions are better than the 4H's vision would have thier own company by now, if they were correct.

That being said, not that we couldnt find mistakes in production like shoulders or so, but even we have missed some until much later.

No need to get the fans involved that specifically. It's absurd.

Heroic Journalist MldMnrdReporter's Avatar
    If they told us what figures were coming out ahead of time they'd never get anything done. The complaining would be endless (as if it already isn't).
    Gwildor: Moo? Moo.
    He-Man: Gwildor!
    Gwildor: I'm going, I'm going...Moo!

No, I prefer the surprise.

I like the reveals, there's a build-up of excitement, then BOOM! reveal.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    While I don't want to know who is coming, I would like to deal with potential issues WAAAY before the character is made.
    I feel this way too. Get it right. The first time. Could avoid a lot of backlash.
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

Support The Power & Honor Foundation

Power-Con/ThunderCon

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    I wish more people (who took this poll at any rate) understood that you cannot make art by committy.

The 4 H have proven they know what they are doing. Anyone who really thinks their opinions are better than the 4H's vision would have thier own company by now, if they were correct.

That being said, not that we couldnt find mistakes in production like shoulders or so, but even we have missed some until much later.

No need to get the fans involved that specifically. It's absurd.
    I dont think we should shape what they look like. I still think the 4H should still sculpt them, and go "here you go" but from there we go (like Snake MAA) make it roboto arms plz, all in favor? (poll is held) the I's have it, change the arms. If not it remains as is..... I dont expect it to be like "re-model the face it looks wrong" .... that would be crazy.
    Religion = The Horde

Yes. Insufficient knowledge of what I would be buying is one of the main reasons I don't subscribe. As it stands, I have to assume that there will probably be lemons thrown unexpectedly into the mix at various points during the year (see: Snake MAA).

Heroic Warrior
    I voted #3.

Spoil-Or's are my enemy.

I love the drama and the suspense.

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    I voted #3.

Spoil-Or's are my enemy.

I love the drama and the suspense.
    haha, can't say as I understand it, but that's cool. You must love christmas or birthdays then. I am more of a "lets skip the step where I return what you got me cuz you dont know me at all, and I tell you what to get me" kinda guy. Or If I have to buy something for someone else, it's a "Let's go shopping, you get what you want, Ill pay. Then we're both happy" sorta guy.

Surprises are only fun if it's what you want. If it's not then you gotta pretend you like it because you want wanna hurt feelings, and it just gets messy. I'd much rather know.

I bet you have a more bubbly fun personality than I do though,
    Religion = The Horde

Heroic Warrior
    No secrets for me, if we know as soon as possible how the sculpt looks like, things like Clawful and FO's heads or Mighty Spector could have been avoided!

I don't like secrets, when my money is involved!

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    No secrets for me, if we know as soon as possible how the sculpt looks like, things like Clawful and FO's heads or Mighty Spector could have been avoided!

I don't like secrets, when my money is involved!
    wow ..... that's exactly what I have been trying to get accross .... you summarized everything i said perfectly. well said! thanks .... i tend to be a bit wordy .... I want to describe every little part of an idea, when what you said is far more to the point.
    Religion = The Horde

Heroic Warrior
    haha, can't say as I understand it, but that's cool. You must love christmas or birthdays then. I am more of a "lets skip the step where I return what you got me cuz you dont know me at all, and I tell you what to get me" kinda guy. Or If I have to buy something for someone else, it's a "Let's go shopping, you get what you want, Ill pay. Then we're both happy" sorta guy.

Surprises are only fun if it's what you want. If it's not then you gotta pretend you like it because you want wanna hurt feelings, and it just gets messy. I'd much rather know.

I bet you have a more bubbly fun personality than I do though,

Not sure about the bubbly or fun part but I just like the "looking ahead" bit. I like the wondering of "what will be next?". I find it intriguing.

And when I'm not wonder "what's next?" I'm jonesing for that month's figure to come out.

Sounds like me, Midor. I'm pretty bubbly and fun, I think.

I like how everything has turned out, so I trust the Horsemen's judgement. Not to sound rude, but I'm glad they, and not the vocal majority here, are making the design choices.

(Remember the episode of The Simpsons when Homer designed a car...?)
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post

I like how everything has turned out, so I trust the Horsemen's judgement. Not to sound rude, but I'm glad they, and not the vocal majority here, are making the design choices.

The car that he designed for his recently discovered half brother who ran some automotive place? Yes. I saw that episode a long time back.

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post

Ya see this is what I think the problem is. I dont think people fully get my idea. Using the homer example, HOMER, an untrained every man designed that car, which is of course a terrible idea. What I am proposing is we let Herb's car company build the car, and then run it by us when they are done. A sort of "Do you guys approve, do you want this?" sorta deal. I dont for a second expect every .orger to get their say and band together and all agree and design these figures from the ground up. That's not possible for many reasons, like the homer example.

If the 4H do what they do, then we get to see it while changes can still be made, chances are because the 4H are so amazing, changes 90% of the time wont need to be made. Although the 4H are still people, and mistakes happen, this is when we could solve this stuff.

TLDR; I dont want to homer to design the car. I want herb to design the car and run it past homer, in a "would you be happy to buy this?" context.
    Religion = The Horde