Thread: Zodac/Metron Connection Investigated...

Zodac/Metron Connection Investigated...

Comic Book Resources has an interesting article on whether Zodac was supposed to be connected to DC's Metron somehow because they are rather similar in concept. I actually always thought DC wrote Zodac as a cross between Metron and the Silver Surfer... in any case, they investigate the connection here:

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...-revealed-234/

Here's one interesting passage:
    DC signed the rights to MOTU before the toys were released. They had virtually no back story set up besides a very basic good guys vs. bad guys idea. A rep from Mattel came to DC and editor Dave Manak and I spent an afternoon on the floor of DC's conference room playing with the prototypes of the figures and accessories and making **** up as we went along. I took a few notes, talked out a few very basic ideas with Dave and the rep and then went home and started writing. Zodac and the flying chair were part of the presentation, so I went with that--don't recall for certain if the Metron parallel was brought up at the time, but with fan-boy-me in the room, I'd find it tough to believe I wouldn't have at least mentioned it. They might have gotten rid of the flying chair (or switched it to a spot in the Castle) because of the similarity by the time the toys came out but after I'd written the comic.
    That's the first I'd heard of a Chair actually being presented as part of the Zodac toy. Has anyone ever heard this or seen concept art for this? Or do you think he's mis-remembering?

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Comic Book Resources has an interesting article on whether Zodac was supposed to be connected to DC's Metron somehow because they are rather similar in concept. I actually always thought DC wrote Zodac as a cross between Metron and the Silver Surfer... in any case, they investigate the connection here:

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...-revealed-234/

Here's one interesting passage:

That's the first I'd heard of a Chair actually being presented as part of the Zodac toy. Has anyone ever heard this or seen concept art for this? Or do you think he's mis-remembering?

I would assume he was playing with the chair that came with Castle Grayskull. He probably just thought Zodac looked cool sitting in it (which he does!) I don't think Zodac was ever meant to come with a chair.

Well, it sounds like in the quote that they might have presented him to them in the chair though... because he says it eventually went into Grayskull. So it doesn't sound like they just put him in there themselves... huh.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Well, it sounds like in the quote that they might have presented him to them in the chair though... because he says it eventually went into Grayskull. So it doesn't sound like they just put him in there themselves... huh.

Yeah, I think they just showed him the figure in the Grayskull chair. It was an accessory after all that came with the castle. I'm sure it no doubt had many kids wanting a castle when they realized a chair like Zodac had in comics in cartoons came with it. I think there was some cross-promotion going on.