Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Rattlor Discussion Thread

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    They are both the same character though. I still don't understand why his package is called The General though.
    Mattel lost the trademark since they never renewed it, like "Battle Fist". It happens with toys all the time. Although it said "The General" on the package we all know the character's name.

Anyway, the only thing they need to do really is do a classic of him, but give him the body armor from the 2002 design, along with the more snake-like face.
    I think the head would be the rounded vintage head. This is yet another case where a pack of heads or new parts in an accessory pack would do wonders.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    King Hiss is the king, Rattlor is his general or warlord.

Oh, you mean for Classic Rattlor to be just a thug like in the 80's, no rank? Kewl. More of a case for two separate rattlesnake characters. Maybe Rattlor can be The General's offspring.

Yes no ranking, maybe two Snakes

Fudge Supreme Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Rattlor really isn't enough of a high profile character to really warrant 2 separate variations to be released (regardless of whether or not Mattel "technically" makes them 2 separate characters in the continuity).

While there is some differences in the designs of the character from the 80s and 200X, I don't think those differences are drastic enough to warrant 2 separate releases either. They could just take the best features from both versions, make the armor removable, and that's that.

I could see an arguement for 2 versions of King Hiss (one in his human form, the other in his multi-snake form), but not for Rattlor.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    I could see an arguement for 2 versions of King Hiss (one in his human form, the other in his multi-snake form), but not for Rattlor.
    This would be sweet... a full body snaked out Hiss and a Human Hiss a Perfect 2 pack...
    (the only problem I'd see is "Which Human Hiss to use?")
    Rattlor They can get away with one fig that has Removable armor 2 heads (one vintage looking and one 200X looking) and the extended neckpiece
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now who shall I fight for?

im not really buying the whole "Rattlor and General have major differences" argument. Are they the exact same? no, but by no means are they extremes like several other characters. armor, removable bracers and anklets would be more then fine. Original filmation rattlor was also fairly built broad shouldered like 200x as well. 2 heads could work, but may also be really unnecessary. maybe 1 opened jaw 1 closed jaw but to me, i just dont think theres enough differences that stand out
    www.nywcwrestling.com - Best Independent Wrestling on Long Island!

I want meteorbs dang nabbit!!!

It's already been said by Toyguru in previous Q&A that there will be no 200X only versions in MOTUC. So no 200X version of He-Man or NA version of HE-Man, just the one we already got. All figures will be in MOTUC style and only influenced by the different lines. So I would expect a hybrid Rattlor/General figure and not two seperate figures.

Here is the news post by TG from Facebook,

A lot of fans have been posting online wish lists and remarks about the style of MOTU Classics. While we did say in some recent Q & As that we will look at the 2002-2004 line for influence, I want to clear up any confusion about the look of the figure sculpts inthe Classics line.

The hyper detail 2002 look is has been "retired". You won't see any hyper stylized figures in the Classics line. But what you will see is figures from the 2002 series done in "Classics" style (such as King Grayskull). If a character had unique armor or weapons in the 2002 series, we will look at finding ways to bring that into the Classics line, but we won't, for example, be doing a "2002 Hordak" as we already included his 2002 staff with the current figure. 2002 Hordak and Classics Hordak is the same character, just sculpted in a different style.

The style behind the Classics line is that these are figures based on the look and feel of the original MOTU 1981-1987 line but with today's modern articualtion and detail. We will look at doing POP, NA and "200X" figures in the Classics line, but they will be done in the same style as other Classics figures, not in the hyper detail look of the 200X line.

We know there are a lot of fans of the 2002-2004 line out there. And one day we may go back and do a new line of figures in this style. But the Classics line is an all new line, unrelated to the look of the 2002 - 2004 line. We have some really great figures in the wings waiting to be shown off at SDCC. Although not every fan will get exactly what they want, their are some great surprises in store!

See you in San Diego!

Matty
    Last edited by jzguitars; November 24, 2009 at 02:52pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    Rattlor really isn't enough of a high profile character to really warrant 2 separate variations to be released (regardless of whether or not Mattel "technically" makes them 2 separate characters in the continuity).

While there is some differences in the designs of the character from the 80s and 200X, I don't think those differences are drastic enough to warrant 2 separate releases either. They could just take the best features from both versions, make the armor removable, and that's that.

Rattlor appeared more times in MYP than Zodak did and Zodak got a figure.

Quote Originally Posted by jzguitars View Post
    It's already been said by Toyguru in previous Q&A that there will be no 200X only versions in MOTUC. So no 200X version of He-Man or NA version of HE-Man, just the one we already got. All figures will be in MOTUC style and only influenced by the different lines. So I would expect a hybrid Rattlor/General figure and not two seperate figures.
    TG did say that there would be plenty of ways to refresh He-Man and Skeletor and 200X and NA were listed. And you really think they won't make a NA He-Man?

Besides, you could get that TG post from June where he tells us how 200X He-Man would look in MOTUC.

I'm not talking about a differently sculpted General. Just redeco the MOTUC version of Rattlor. Give him new bracelets, new shins and a new head. Sell him as a bonus figure.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; November 24, 2009 at 03:09pm.

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Heroic Warrior
    I preferred the 200X look over the Vintage look, as "The General" looks far more vicious and reptilian than the original figure. Hopefully they will go for a blended look ala Webstor for Rattlor whenever he's released.
    Good Traders:
    fbiagentcooper, The_Donster, Captain Miro, Satonic, grimghost, robb

TG did say that there would be plenty of ways to refresh He-Man and Skeletor and 200X and NA were listed. And you really don't think they won't make a NA He-Man?

Besides, you could get that TG post from June where he tells us how 200X He-Man would look in MOTUC.

I'm not talking about a differently sculpted General. Just redeco the MOTUC version of Rattlor. Give him new bracelets, new shins and a new head. Sell him as a bonus figure.
    Really I don't see the point in making NA He-Man. We already have a Classics sculpt of He-Man. I think the point was to bring new characters from NA and POP to the Classics line, but to do them in all the same style. So NA He-man would be the figure we already have with clothing and armor to match what they did in NA. Why bother? And also why waste a slot for a new figure by doing two versions of Rattlor? As said before in this thread, just make the General armor removeable and you have Rattlor. I'd rather get Rattlor with Whiplash as the bonus than Rattlor and General as the bonus IMO.

TG said that Figures in the 200X style would not be made.
    No 200X Versions of figures? Then what is Zodak doing on the line? (sure they made him a new character but he still is a 200X fig that got the MOTUC treatment, and a vintage Zodac was sold a little while before Zodak was made.)
    I'm pretty sure that a New Adventures He-man will pop up. (We ARE getting Battle Armor and that nullifies the "He-Man will be THE only He-man on the line".)
    a 200X "refresh" for key figures is possible. Maybe that will happen further down the line where the only MOTUC waiting to be made would be the ones who require "Super Special tooling" like Extendar, Ram Man, Dragstor, Twistoid, Sagittarius, etc...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now who shall I fight for?

Really I don't see the point in making NA He-Man. We already have a Classics sculpt of He-Man. I think the point was to bring new characters from NA and POP to the Classics line, but to do them in all the same style. So NA He-man would be the figure we already have with clothing and armor to match what they did in NA. Why bother? And also why waste a slot for a new figure by doing two versions of Rattlor? As said before in this thread, just make the General armor removeable and you have Rattlor. I'd rather get Rattlor with Whiplash as the bonus than Rattlor and General as the bonus IMO.
    A slot? I'm talking about a bonus figure. What coveted bonus figure slot is The General taking up? All red Beast Man or Blue Wing Stratos?

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    Just to avoid the fan base jumping to any wrong conclusions, a "200X figure" in the Classics line would look like King Grayskull or how Webstor has a "bit of 200X" in him with the extra legs and eyes.

We won't be adding 'out or proportion' or edgy styling to the figures to "make them" 200X. All the figures in the current line will have the "Classics" look - which should be pretty clear by now in terms of shared parts and general feel. (Wait till you see Battle Cat! Wow.)

One of the design elements fans seem to ask about is the edgy feel of the 200X series. The last "edgy" figure was the staction series the Horsemen did. That "look" is now retired from Mattel. We know a lot of fans loved it, and so did I personally, but Classics is an all new line with its own look and feel to stand apart from the 200X line. We know there are figures that never made it in that line, and maybe one day we will go back and do collector 200X figures again. But for the time being, all figures will be "Classics" in style.

Therefore, for example, a 200X Hordak is extremely unlikely. We already gave him his 200X staff, the only other elements that make him "200X" are the edgy parts of his armor and skirt, and as said earlier, that "look" is retired for now.

Hope this clears up any confusion. We may still do He-Man in 200X down the line, but that would be with new chest armor only and the sword that came with MAA. Is that really more exciting as a He-Man refresh for fans vs. Battle Armor, Snake Armor, Thunder Punch, etc...? Let us know.

TG
    And this is in regards to NA.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    Not saying those mock up images are exactly what we would do, but that is the general idea. All figures in the line regardless of MOTU, POP or NA will be done in a MOTUC style. So even Bo from POP will get the "He-Man" body, if you will.

But we think fans will find it amazing what new crotch, boot, wrist and armor parts can do!

TG
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; November 24, 2009 at 03:57pm.

Really I don't see the point in making NA He-Man. We already have a Classics sculpt of He-Man. I think the point was to bring new characters from NA and POP to the Classics line, but to do them in all the same style. So NA He-man would be the figure we already have with clothing and armor to match what they did in NA. Why bother?
    We're getting Battle Armor He-Man next year, and he's just the same figure in a new outfit.

NA He-Man has a far more extensive change in appearance, with a different hairstyle and even different weapons. It wasn't just a variant, it was the primary look for the star of the show.

That makes him essential in my book.

I hope they stick with more of a vintage design, with maybe a little 200X influence.

I don't think Rattlor and the General should be made into 2 different characters. I mean, they are both Rattlor. Zodac and Zodak are the only characters that I feel deserved to be two separate characters for obvious reasons. One is a different ethnicity than the other and their names are spelled differently. Rattlor and the General are the same character, one is just updated, not totally different.

Seems like removable armor would satisfy everybody. To me- they're the same guy.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Convoy View Post
    Seems like removable armor would satisfy everybody. To me- they're the same guy.
    Until you get to the head. But which would fans prefer? Classic head or 200X head?

If I had to guess, I'd say a majority would prefer the original head. It makes little difference to me- I like 'em both!

well the head will be a small problem, i honestly dont think filmation rattlor and 200x rattlor heads vary that much (the toy is where the variation comes in to play) but thats going to be an issue with pretty much any of the monster creatures
    www.nywcwrestling.com - Best Independent Wrestling on Long Island!

I want meteorbs dang nabbit!!!

Classic head for me. But with an articulated jaw like the 200X figure had.

200X Head for me. Or even more accurately, the MYP head. More fierce. The vintage Rattlor looks too "normal snake head". If they could make a hybrid version that is pretty close to MYP, that would be very good.

I always thought that Rattlor and Tung Lashor seemed more like "Generic Snake Man A" and "Generic Snake Man B" in the vintage era (unlike the latter Snake Men, Squeeze and Snake Face), so I really dug their upgrade in size and status in 200X. It really became apparent when we got generic snake men in 200X.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; November 24, 2009 at 05:43pm.

200x design all the way. The classic design just makes him look goofy (and his god awful voice and characterisation in Filmation didn't help.)

General Rattlor was one of my favourite characters from the new series, an awesome, powerful, intelligent villain.

Heroic Warrior
    200X Head for me. Or even more accurately, the MYP head. More fierce. The vintage Rattlor looks too "normal snake head". If they could make a hybrid version that is pretty close to MYP, that would be very good.

I always thought that Rattlor and Tung Lashor seemed more like "Generic Snake Man A" and "Generic Snake Man B" in the vintage era (unlike the latter Snake Men, Squeeze and Snake Face), so I really dug their upgrade in size and status in 200X. It really became apparent when we got generic snake men in 200X.
    I still wonder how they're going to do Squeeze, given that his action feature was his namesake. I mean, Squeeze without the longer arms just wouldn't be the same. Granted, I know he's a long way away because of the tooling....but even so....
    Good Traders:
    fbiagentcooper, The_Donster, Captain Miro, Satonic, grimghost, robb

Quote Originally Posted by Capt_Piett View Post
    I still wonder how they're going to do Squeeze, given that his action feature was his namesake. I mean, Squeeze without the longer arms just wouldn't be the same. Granted, I know he's a long way away because of the tooling....but even so....
    They could just give Sssqueeze rubber arms with wires inside for posing. Mattel's recent Clayface from Batman/DC Universe had arms that were done in similar way, and those wouldn't be considered an action feature.

They could also be removable with alternate 'normal' arms, like the forthcoming Trap Jaw has.

My guess is he'll look pretty close to the classic 80s version and come with two heads like Mekaneck will. The general aspect will be in his bio.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    We're getting Battle Armor He-Man next year, and he's just the same figure in a new outfit.

NA He-Man has a far more extensive change in appearance, with a different hairstyle and even different weapons. It wasn't just a variant, it was the primary look for the star of the show.

That makes him essential in my book.
    I don't want to minimize the importance of any figure in any of the lines, we all love who we love for our own reasons. My point was, according to Toyguru, Na He-Man will also be a regular He-Man in a new outfit, so to me I don't see the point of having ten versions of the same figure just in different outfits. I'll get them all anyway, but only because i want to own the complete line. It would be great if Mattel would do every single character to please everyone, but accord to TG, that's not whats happening with Classics.

I don't want to minimize the importance of any figure in any of the lines, we all love who we love for our own reasons. My point was, according to Toyguru, Na He-Man will also be a regular He-Man in a new outfit, so to me I don't see the point of having ten versions of the same figure just in different outfits.
    YOU might like only the original He-Man. Others might have a favorite in the other He-man variants. Others like myself, like to have choices. If I wanted to display all my NA figures, I can use a NA He-Man for my centerpiece.

I'll get them all anyway, but only because i want to own the complete line. It would be great if Mattel would do every single character to please everyone, but accord to TG, that's not whats happening with Classics.
    The alternate looks are a refresh. It's so that the line will continue and will still have characters that you could look forward to when all of the major characters have been exhausted and all we are left with are C and D-list characters. He-Man already has come out. Does that mean fans can never get excited for a new He-Man release ever again? That's why they'd do different versions, knowing that there are fans who want them.

We only have Catra, Sorceress and King Hiss left to get made. Between those major characters we have alot of lesser characters. Of course MOTUC is at it's hottest right now...it's filled with all the major A-list characters and they all sell out. What will happen when we get to Rotar or Vizarr?

That's why we need alternate versions of the major characters.